• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon any new interesting/lulzy/too good to be true leaks happen lately my dude?

I actually do. Most of them are Nintendo Direct "leaks" though. Those seem to be in vogue recently.
On August 9th, Nintendo will be hosting a direct announcing what they are working on for the Switch and 3DS. The direct is 40 minutes long. Here is what is going to be announced:

Nintendo Switch:

>The direct will contain 3 Smash newcomers, with them being Dixie (who is a semi-clone of Diddy) Funky Kong which is DK's echo, and King K Rool.

>A port of Pikmin 3 is announced, which adds an easy mode which powers up Pikmin and makes Pikmin death no longer permanent. The game releases September 14

>Some new boards are shown off for Super Mario Party. Amiibo Party returns from MP10, and 3 new amiibo of Toadette, Shy Guy and Dry Bones are announced to be releasing alongside Super Mario Party.

>Spyro reignited is announced to come out on Switch same day as Xbone and PS4

>A new Pushmo is announced to release on the Switch. This game contains most old puzzles from the one on 3DS as well as many new ones. The game comes out after the direct ends.

>Pokebank functionality is revealed for LGP & LGE. They also go further into detail about the Go functionality.

>Nintendo talks a bit about the Nintendo Switch Online, and reveal the games coming out next month, which are SMB 2, TLOZ 2, Tetris, Earthbound Beginnings, and Kirbys Adventure. They also confirm SNES games will be coming in early 2019

>DLC for MK8D will be announced, the DLC contains 4 more characters, these characters are Diddy, Pauline, E.Gadd and Cappy. Two new cups will also corelease with the characters, with one cup with tracks based on Odyssey worlds, and another cup that brings back stages such as Coconut Mall, Waluigi Pinball, Warios Shipyard and Luigi Circuit. The DLC will release on September 14.

3DS:

>A 3DS remake of TTYD is announced, the game releases on September 14.

>More details about Luigi’s Mansion 3D are revealed such as more story details and a release date of October 26.

>Yokai Blasters is announced to be releasing October 25th.

>New Super Mario Bros: Final Adventure is announced for a Spring 2019 release. This is a fresh take on the NSMB formula, featuring unique environments and bosses, and more open levels.

Other:

>Nintendo announces that the newest Classic Console is the Game Boy Classic, which contains 10 games each for the GB, GBC & GBA. It will also have a cartridge slot which will allow you to use preexisting cartidges. Like the SNES Classic, the GB classic contains a bonus game, which is Mother 3 (which will be renamed to Earthbound: Endings) i’m unsure though if this will also apply for Japan, seeing how the game is already out there. The Game Boy Classic will retail for a price of $49.99, and will have 3 different models. One based on the original Game Boy design, one based on the Advance design and one based on the SP, it will release September 28.

>Nintendo Funko Pops based on the Mario and Zelda series are announced for 2019.

This sounds pretty familiar to me. Where could I possibly have heard this before? Hm...wait...is this the July 22nd leak?
This time for sure: The thread
Thanks for helping me solve the mystery Anon.
> On July 27th, we will get a Nintendo Direct
> Here it is. Take it with a grain of salt.
> It will start off right away with Yoshi running and then it goes straight to gameplay of the Yoshi game, titled Yoshi's Craft World. Releasing March 2018.
> Dark Souls releasing 24
> Injustice 2, 2019
> Nintendo Selects for Switch
> Fortnite Nintendo Only Skins based on Metroid, Splatoon, after direct.
> Legends Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, holiday 2018
> Chibi-Robo: Plugged, holiday 2018
> Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, January 2019
> Mario Maker Port, holiday 2018
> Dr. Mario Switch, September 2018
> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game.
> Final Announcement: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong smash trailer

Nintendo Switch Classics? That's not happening anytime soon.
>Short 3DS section
>Briefly shows off Luigi's Mansion-themed 3DS with both games packed in
>Sonic Mania Plus 3DS port
>Yokai Watch fighting game
>Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect
>Quick update on WarioWare Gold, has compatibility with the Wario amiibo

>Moving to Switch section
>Quick update on Super Mario Odyssey, just releasing a new costume + two new filters (no Isle Delfino DLC, come on)
>TWEWY: Final Remix is releasing September
>Top-down Zelda game that takes inspiration from BOTW (even with the Sheikah Slate) is briefly teased, coming 2019
>Kirby Star Allies Dream Friends coming
>New Legendary Pokémon teased for LGP/LGE, Poison/Fairy type
>A Way Out port
>Pacman Championship Edition 3
>Iconoclasts port
>Mario Baseball game
>Moving to Smash, a few new assist trophies and stages are shown off
>Mostly returning ones but there's also Play-Yan, Dr Mario Viruses, Mipha, Slippy (who can't be KO'd, he's based off Star Fox Guard for some reason), and Kamek. Weirdly the Prince from Katamari Damacy is also in as an assist
>Krool assist trophy (dammit)
>Dixie (Diddy Kong echo)
>Isaac from Golden Sun is revealed as a playable character
>Surprise announcement
>Bayo 3, coming early 2019

I don't know the date for this direct mini, but I do know that this is likely fake.
> This is what you should be seeing in the future for Nintendo.
> July: No Direct, just a 2 characters for smash to be announced, King K. Rool, and Dixie Kong.
> August: EVO will have Heihachi being announced. 2 new ports will be revealed for Switch. Retro will announce that they are working on a game right now. Nintendo 64 classic will be revealed.
> September: A direct is held for the 14th. Online releases September 21
> October: New smash fighter. The Shovel Knight amiibo will release in October
> November: A trailer for the retro game should be announced, earthier October or December. It is a new Donkey Kong Country game, planned for 2019. Final smash characters at Smash Direct. Switch games will be getting Nintendo Selects. Nintendo 64 classic will releases
> December: At game of the year, Metroid Prime 4 trailer is planned, holiday 2019, name is Metoid Prime: Conclusion. Also Pikmin 4 will get it's reveal at game of the year. A new IP is planned for Game of the year as well.
> Others: Fortnite skins only for Switch, Kirby DLC, MK8D DLC, and Hyrule Warriors DLC.
These are just planned for the future, it doesn't mean it will all happen, stuff might be changed. Retro will shut down. This is Nintendo's future.

Shulk, my guy, is that you? Can you look into my future for cool things? Metroid Prime Conclusion is a stupid name, and Rare working on a Donkey Kong Country game for years now is highly unlikely. I'd say they're probably working on either Star Fox Grand Prix or something Mother/Earthbound related and are experiencing difficulties because of that.
All final smash effect files in the upcoming Smash Bros game
1532268534692.png

First, points for a leak finally calling Isaac by his Japanese name, Robin. This is a first. There is a discrepancy though. Reimu has 3 final smashes, but Ryu only has one, when he actually has two.
>Viewtiful Joe HD will be launching late next year on Playstation 4 and PC.
>Bass will be in Megaman 11 along with Protoman. Roll will be an unlockable playable Character once you beat the game. X will also be playable but will be a Downloadable Character.
>Tofu will be in the Resident Evil 2 remake along with a Female variant.
>Protoman will be an echo fighter for Megaman in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
That is all.

Simple. I like it.
Nintendo Direct Mini 8/8/18
-The Direct starts off with a Super Smash Bros Ultimate trailer for Bandanna Waddle Dee
-Smash goes right into Paid Online service which will start Monday, September 3rd
-The World Ends With You will release October 12th
-Undertale will release October 30th
-Dark Souls Remastered will release
September 7th along with the Solaire amiibo. Beta testing starts August 10th
-More info on Super Mario Party including Single Player and Online Multiplayer. It will release October 5th
-Custom Robo: Colosseum will launch December 21st and will be entirely online
-The direct ends with a message from Reggie. He states how a lot of people were questioning the absence of Metroid Prime 4 at E3. He insures fans that it is still in development. To keep fans occupied, he shows off one more title which is Super Metroid HD. That game will release Q1 of 2019

New Custom Robo?

I W A N T T O B E L I E V E

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lol I just had a thought

Since these leaks seem so adamant on pushing K. Rool and Dixie as the next newcomers... what if both are indeed playable, but they’re NOT the next newcomers announced, and someone else is announced instead?

Who would you expect?

also Diablo 3 and Fallout 4 on Switch...I want to believe

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who thinks that Samus was buffed for Ultimate? With the new mid-air charge and stuff.
I mean... Yes?

You just listed a buff and you're questioning if she was buffed?

D

Deleted member

I normally don't bother quoting posts that are this old, but since you yourself quoted an old post and are missing one super obvious fact...

Three Houses is on the Switch. It's the first console Fire Emblem in over a decade. You're kidding yourself if you think it's not going to be the best selling entry in the franchise yet. I promise you, people are going to be actively asking for a character from it, something Fates and Corrin never had going for them.

My opinion has jack to do with "patterns," I'm basically the only person on this site who doesn't think we're getting a new Pokemon on the base roster. And I don't even like or play Fire Emblem, and I have little desire to play Three Houses.

It's a surefire hit from a popular franchise that Sakurai himself enjoys that will release at the perfect time to capitalize on with cross-game advertising DLC that people will actually want by the time it comes out.
Is there really much of a difference being released on a console rather than an handheld though?

And from what I've noticed Three Houses hasn't made much of a splash.
You can tell it's because it got massively overshadowed by Smash Ultimate, but people were still rather mitigated on it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who thinks that Samus was buffed for Ultimate? With the new mid-air charge and stuff.
Everyone seems buffed in a way (though RIP Fox, he didn't deserve it) (and RIP Bayo, she really deserved it). So, that kinda neutralizes the whole reaction I think.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Found it, so do I delete mine or what?
I'd just report your own post and explain what happened. The mods should take this from there.
Is there really much of a difference being released on a console rather than an handheld though?

You can tell it's because it got massively overshadowed by Smash Ultimate, but people were still rather mitigated on it.
When the game was announced back in 2017, Intelligent Systems made it a point to bring up that it was the first home console release since Radiant Dawn. I'd say that's a big deal.

And I'm not sure what you mean. The fanbase basically fell in love with Edelgard immediately, for her design, her being an axe user, and for being a fountain of memes after only one trailer.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was kinda hoping Samus would get a new uptilt in the way of Samus Returns's uppercut thing.
The moment I saw that in a trailer I was like "yup, that's a Smash move."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
When the game was announced back in 2017, Intelligent Systems made it a point to bring up that it was the first home console release since Radiant Dawn. I'd say that's a big deal.
I mean it was only a decade ago it came out. Then again, the same thing was with the gap from Tharcia 776 to Path of Radiance so :p

Iridium

Smash Hero
Here is a clear listen to :ultzelda: & :ultganondorf:'s voices, not ruined by anything!

Who said Ganondorf is not an old man anymore?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Everything got overshadowed by Smash Ultimate, lol.

Japan seems to like handhelds more, there's no denying that. But there's still a strong bias in the Western market toward console games being the "real" games. Just think of how long people have been begging for a mainline console Pokemon. Or the fact that Smash 3DS sold more than Smash Wii U, and yet, Wii U is the "definitive" version of the game.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

I actually do. Most of them are Nintendo Direct "leaks" though. Those seem to be in vogue recently.
On August 9th, Nintendo will be hosting a direct announcing what they are working on for the Switch and 3DS. The direct is 40 minutes long. Here is what is going to be announced:

Nintendo Switch:

>The direct will contain 3 Smash newcomers, with them being Dixie (who is a semi-clone of Diddy) Funky Kong which is DK's echo, and King K Rool.

>A port of Pikmin 3 is announced, which adds an easy mode which powers up Pikmin and makes Pikmin death no longer permanent. The game releases September 14

>Some new boards are shown off for Super Mario Party. Amiibo Party returns from MP10, and 3 new amiibo of Toadette, Shy Guy and Dry Bones are announced to be releasing alongside Super Mario Party.

>Spyro reignited is announced to come out on Switch same day as Xbone and PS4

>A new Pushmo is announced to release on the Switch. This game contains most old puzzles from the one on 3DS as well as many new ones. The game comes out after the direct ends.

>Pokebank functionality is revealed for LGP & LGE. They also go further into detail about the Go functionality.

>Nintendo talks a bit about the Nintendo Switch Online, and reveal the games coming out next month, which are SMB 2, TLOZ 2, Tetris, Earthbound Beginnings, and Kirbys Adventure. They also confirm SNES games will be coming in early 2019

>DLC for MK8D will be announced, the DLC contains 4 more characters, these characters are Diddy, Pauline, E.Gadd and Cappy. Two new cups will also corelease with the characters, with one cup with tracks based on Odyssey worlds, and another cup that brings back stages such as Coconut Mall, Waluigi Pinball, Warios Shipyard and Luigi Circuit. The DLC will release on September 14.

3DS:

>A 3DS remake of TTYD is announced, the game releases on September 14.

>More details about Luigi’s Mansion 3D are revealed such as more story details and a release date of October 26.

>Yokai Blasters is announced to be releasing October 25th.

>New Super Mario Bros: Final Adventure is announced for a Spring 2019 release. This is a fresh take on the NSMB formula, featuring unique environments and bosses, and more open levels.

Other:

>Nintendo announces that the newest Classic Console is the Game Boy Classic, which contains 10 games each for the GB, GBC & GBA. It will also have a cartridge slot which will allow you to use preexisting cartidges. Like the SNES Classic, the GB classic contains a bonus game, which is Mother 3 (which will be renamed to Earthbound: Endings) i’m unsure though if this will also apply for Japan, seeing how the game is already out there. The Game Boy Classic will retail for a price of $49.99, and will have 3 different models. One based on the original Game Boy design, one based on the Advance design and one based on the SP, it will release September 28.

>Nintendo Funko Pops based on the Mario and Zelda series are announced for 2019.

This sounds pretty familiar to me. Where could I possibly have heard this before? Hm...wait...is this the July 22nd leak?

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery Anon.
> On July 27th, we will get a Nintendo Direct
> Here it is. Take it with a grain of salt.
> It will start off right away with Yoshi running and then it goes straight to gameplay of the Yoshi game, titled Yoshi's Craft World. Releasing March 2018.
> Dark Souls releasing 24
> Injustice 2, 2019
> Nintendo Selects for Switch
> Fortnite Nintendo Only Skins based on Metroid, Splatoon, after direct.
> Legends Of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, holiday 2018
> Chibi-Robo: Plugged, holiday 2018
> Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, January 2019
> Mario Maker Port, holiday 2018
> Dr. Mario Switch, September 2018
> New Donkey Kong Country game Donkey Kong Country: Origins, characters playable are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, then King K. Rool after you finish the game.
> Final Announcement: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong smash trailer

Nintendo Switch Classics? That's not happening anytime soon.
>Short 3DS section
>Briefly shows off Luigi's Mansion-themed 3DS with both games packed in
>Sonic Mania Plus 3DS port
>Yokai Watch fighting game
>Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect
>Quick update on WarioWare Gold, has compatibility with the Wario amiibo

>Moving to Switch section
>Quick update on Super Mario Odyssey, just releasing a new costume + two new filters (no Isle Delfino DLC, come on)
>TWEWY: Final Remix is releasing September
>Top-down Zelda game that takes inspiration from BOTW (even with the Sheikah Slate) is briefly teased, coming 2019
>Kirby Star Allies Dream Friends coming
>New Legendary Pokémon teased for LGP/LGE, Poison/Fairy type
>A Way Out port
>Pacman Championship Edition 3
>Iconoclasts port
>Mario Baseball game
>Moving to Smash, a few new assist trophies and stages are shown off
>Mostly returning ones but there's also Play-Yan, Dr Mario Viruses, Mipha, Slippy (who can't be KO'd, he's based off Star Fox Guard for some reason), and Kamek. Weirdly the Prince from Katamari Damacy is also in as an assist
>Krool assist trophy (dammit)
>Dixie (Diddy Kong echo)
>Isaac from Golden Sun is revealed as a playable character
>Surprise announcement
>Bayo 3, coming early 2019

I don't know the date for this direct mini, but I do know that this is likely fake.
> This is what you should be seeing in the future for Nintendo.
> July: No Direct, just a 2 characters for smash to be announced, King K. Rool, and Dixie Kong.
> August: EVO will have Heihachi being announced. 2 new ports will be revealed for Switch. Retro will announce that they are working on a game right now. Nintendo 64 classic will be revealed.
> September: A direct is held for the 14th. Online releases September 21
> October: New smash fighter. The Shovel Knight amiibo will release in October
> November: A trailer for the retro game should be announced, earthier October or December. It is a new Donkey Kong Country game, planned for 2019. Final smash characters at Smash Direct. Switch games will be getting Nintendo Selects. Nintendo 64 classic will releases
> December: At game of the year, Metroid Prime 4 trailer is planned, holiday 2019, name is Metoid Prime: Conclusion. Also Pikmin 4 will get it's reveal at game of the year. A new IP is planned for Game of the year as well.
> Others: Fortnite skins only for Switch, Kirby DLC, MK8D DLC, and Hyrule Warriors DLC.
These are just planned for the future, it doesn't mean it will all happen, stuff might be changed. Retro will shut down. This is Nintendo's future.

Shulk, my guy, is that you? Can you look into my future for cool things? Metroid Prime Conclusion is a stupid name, and Rare working on a Donkey Kong Country game for years now is highly unlikely. I'd say they're probably working on either Star Fox Grand Prix or something Mother/Earthbound related and are experiencing difficulties because of that.
All final smash effect files in the upcoming Smash Bros game
View attachment 153980

First, points for a leak finally calling Isaac by his Japanese name, Robin. This is a first. There is a discrepancy though. Reimu has 3 final smashes, but Ryu only has one, when he actually has two.
>Viewtiful Joe HD will be launching late next year on Playstation 4 and PC.
>Bass will be in Megaman 11 along with Protoman. Roll will be an unlockable playable Character once you beat the game. X will also be playable but will be a Downloadable Character.
>Tofu will be in the Resident Evil 2 remake along with a Female variant.
>Protoman will be an echo fighter for Megaman in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
That is all.

Simple. I like it.
Nintendo Direct Mini 8/8/18
-The Direct starts off with a Super Smash Bros Ultimate trailer for Bandanna Waddle Dee
-Smash goes right into Paid Online service which will start Monday, September 3rd
-The World Ends With You will release October 12th
-Undertale will release October 30th
-Dark Souls Remastered will release
September 7th along with the Solaire amiibo. Beta testing starts August 10th
-More info on Super Mario Party including Single Player and Online Multiplayer. It will release October 5th
-Custom Robo: Colosseum will launch December 21st and will be entirely online
-The direct ends with a message from Reggie. He states how a lot of people were questioning the absence of Metroid Prime 4 at E3. He insures fans that it is still in development. To keep fans occupied, he shows off one more title which is Super Metroid HD. That game will release Q1 of 2019

New Custom Robo?

I W A N T T O B E L I E V E

Leak 5 looks promising, until I saw the Ice Climbers name file. If this is a Japanese file, then Ice Climbers should be Ice Climber.
Therefore

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If we’re not getting a lot for the Base roster. Then we sure will get an overload on DLC. (Which sucks because if they’re a lot of characters I want them there goes my wallet).

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
-King K. Rool (DK)
-Just about anything from Zelda/Toon Ganondorf (Zelda - I know Zelda constantly goes for different characters, but hitting one more nail here wouldn't hurt)
-Dark Samus (Metroid)
-Boshi (Yoshi, @Zinith will probs enjoy this) - I just put this here because I see this as an easy-to-add Echo, but there's other Yoshi villains you could go with too. Either way, probably not.
-Marx (Kirby)
-Magolor (Kirby)
-Daroach (Kirby - More of a good guy than most of these mentions but still some morally grey)
-Dark Meta Knight Or Another Meta Knight Variation (Kirby - lol echo. okay, yeah, there's a lot of Kirby here)
-Another member of team Star Wolf (For the record: I more just put this here because of popularity and b/c you could literally just steal moves; I don't even think it's a good idea)
-Masked Man (Mother - At least an easy to program idea + had traction)
-Gigue (Mother - Mewtwo echo; not that I think it'll happen lol)
-Black Shadow (F-Zero)
-Louie (Pikmin - easy echo or alt costume)
-Various Kid Icarus villains (If we want to just go for any - easily echoable)
-DJ Octavio or the Octolings (prolly just the octolings if any - lol easy DLC echo.)
-Felix in some way as an alt or so of Isaac (LOL THAT RELIES ON ISAAC ACTUALLY BEING IN :(((( )
-Shadow (Sonic has been around more than every other third-party...)
-Alucard (simon belmont echo i guess? Though Simon hasn't even been confirmed
To add onto your villain list, there's also Porky and Dark Matter, and I feel both are feasible/can work, Porky is a lot smaller than he appears in Brawl canonically (in both his mechs) and Dark Matter's Blade form could work as a base form for a moveset.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who said Ganondorf is not an old man anymore?
Nobody even said he wasn't, but he probably wasn't in OoT. Maybe in like his 30s or something I don't know.
His voice has a lower pitch but I don't think it's to indicate he's old. His OoT voice is just really deep.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think if the FE fanbase isn't satisfied with the representation the series has in Smash they're being a big unappreciative. I get that there are characters they'd like more for variety and representation's sake, but I don't think it's Corrin vs Hector, Lucina vs Eirika, etc, rather it's the characters we got or no one. I myself can be a bit frustrated with the effect that relevancy can have, but there has to be an acceptance that FE wouldn't have gotten irrelevant characters instead of the ones who were included with cross promotion in mind, even Pokémon finds itself in a similar situation where it can't and won't just pick and choose stars of old generations despite the untapped potential.

FE could honestly just have had Marth (the original), Ike (the fan favorite) and Robin (the revival) and it'd be fine, but it's gotten Roy, Lucina and Corrin on top of that, I think it's worth appreciating that it's gotten that much when it's not exactly the global phenomenon that other series with around the same number of characters are.
Compared to pretty much every other franchises, FE really has been getting the most amount of love in Smash 4.

Come to think of it, do you think there's a chance people will complain about "Xenoblade bias" for this game?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Nobody even said he wasn't, but he probably wasn't in OoT. Maybe in like his 30s or something I don't know.
His voice has a lower pitch but I don't think it's to indicate he's old. His OoT voice is just really deep.

Honestly, I was just referring to jokes about his looks and voice. Nothing too serious here, but you are right.

Zeox

Smash Champion
That's... pretty low. I mean, I'm lowballing here too, and while I wouldn't be surprised by that, they need system seller characters. That said, my guesstimate is still at 3-10 (depends on how many lol echo's)

also, I know people are getting worried because no new information, but they blew a ton of loads at once at E3. There isn't really too much more of the game to reveal, probably (though, they are building off of Smash 4, people have to keep that in mind) and they have another few months to go. Us Kirby fans had it way worse with waiting for Wave 2 information - we were practically strung for 3-4 months.

so, august or september we'll probably get a direct. We have to have a direct before the end of September anyways because of Nintendo's online service. Feel free to save this post and quote me if I'm dead wrong.

(btw, nice pop'n'music avatar)

(honestly one of the things I missed from Smash 4 spec are your posts, so it's nice to see you around)

Morally grey characters or pure villains? If we're talking the latter, the board's been mostly wiped clean, but the latter? I could think of a few more choices

Of the morally grey/villains we have,
-Bowser
-Ganondorf
-Mewtwo
-Meta Knight
-Dark Pit
-Wario
-King Dedede
-Wolf
-Bowser Jr.
-Ridley
-Duck Hunt

Which definitely doesn't outshine the number of protagonists (probably above 30, at least) and is only close to the number of Third-Parties (7) but hey, 10 is pretty good.

Ones that are actually feasible, (I'm also counting 'easy to program' on this list - spoilered b/c length)
-King K. Rool (DK)
-Just about anything from Zelda/Toon Ganondorf (Zelda - I know Zelda constantly goes for different characters, but hitting one more nail here wouldn't hurt)
-Dark Samus (Metroid)
-Boshi (Yoshi, @Zinith will probs enjoy this) - I just put this here because I see this as an easy-to-add Echo, but there's other Yoshi villains you could go with too. Either way, probably not.
-Marx (Kirby)
-Magolor (Kirby)
-Daroach (Kirby - More of a good guy than most of these mentions but still some morally grey)
-Dark Meta Knight Or Another Meta Knight Variation (Kirby - lol echo. okay, yeah, there's a lot of Kirby here)
-Another member of team Star Wolf (For the record: I more just put this here because of popularity and b/c you could literally just steal moves; I don't even think it's a good idea)
-Masked Man (Mother - At least an easy to program idea + had traction)
-Gigue (Mother - Mewtwo echo; not that I think it'll happen lol)
-Black Shadow (F-Zero)
-Louie (Pikmin - easy echo or alt costume)
-Various Kid Icarus villains (If we want to just go for any - easily echoable)
-DJ Octavio or the Octolings (prolly just the octolings if any - lol easy DLC echo.)
-Felix in some way as an alt or so of Isaac (LOL THAT RELIES ON ISAAC ACTUALLY BEING IN :(((( )
-Shadow (Sonic has been around more than every other third-party...)
-Alucard (simon belmont echo i guess? Though Simon hasn't even been confirmed

Before hitting third-parties and my lulzy golden sun addition, that's about 15. If we remove the lol echoes, that cuts it to about half (and no way are we getting an absurd amount of Kirby newcomers). I probably forgot one.

Out of these, I think we'll see three at most and it'll probably be the most probable choices (Louie (alt costume - I was already shocked last time by that exclusion), K. Rool, Dark Samus) - That would make, in the grand scheme of things, the roster about 1/6th of that nice morally grey hit. Given the other elements that Smash has to cover (The RPG new characters, new franchises, other hype third-parties, other supporting characters, etc), I don't think there's a lack of villains. Honestly, I think the whole lack of villains thing was cleaned up in Brawl, and Smash 4 in general lacked adding supporting characters (as I constantly go on about)

tl;dr: I agree, but I also think there's a few choices people forget; mostly due to echoes. It depends if we're talking villains or morally grey though - Nintendo doesn't really have too much of the former that would be justifiable (Meta Knight and King D3 are basically good guys now, Wario doesn't really do jack asides from Steal, Bowser still goes karting with Mario and teams up with him in the RPG's) - If we're talking morally grey supporting characters, I'm all about that and I think there's a few choices left before completely scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This whole post was honestly just a big excuse for me to nerd out about Nintendo. :joyful:
Meta Knight was never a villain, he is just a warrior that wants to be the strongest in the universe, but he is a good dude.
But you forgot to add Porky to the list of villains, he has been doing cameos since melee, was 2 bosses in brawl, and was in both the 3ds and the wii u versions of the games, and his stage is returning, so that means they already had to work on a 3d model of Porky (for the statue of new pork city) and add his theme (since it was one of the musics that could play in his stage)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Leak 5 looks promising, until I saw the Ice Climbers name file. If this is a Japanese file, then Ice Climbers should be Ice Climber.
Therefore

Even more egregious is that Dark Pit isn't listed as Black Pit.

D

Deleted member

Therefore

There's tons of errors like that. Captain Falcon should be "captain" not "CptFalcon," Dark Pit should be "pitb" (he's Black Pit in Japan), Mii names are all wrong, and Final Smash effect files would likely be stored in each fighter's individual folders.

But hey, at least they got Isaac's Japanese name right. That's something...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash isn't canon
It is for the Kid Icarus crew...and maybe Bayonetta with the Easter egg they had in 2 on the Switch
I still remember how terrible the voice acting was for the Orbital Gate Assault conversations. But I guess Nintendo couldn't get the Brawl voice actors to voice the Star Fox team again.
It’s more so the fact that Fox and Falco got new voices to match up with the most recent Star Fox release (which was 64 3D), and it’ll most likely be the same crew again thanks to Zero

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Do you honestly believe, that the FE fanbase actually likes the representation it gets in Smash?

Let's break it down.

Marth: A character that no one in the West could truly experience until 2008's Shadow Dragon. While the game has a neutral reception now, it was definitely on the weaker side of FE compared to the recent GBA games and Tellius games. Marth is admirable as a character, but overall he's pretty bland to many and the only nostalgia for him in the West comes from Smash/Melee.

Roy: For a long time considered the worst FE lord. Corrin set that bar pretty low but for a long time, Roy was the worst. His character really only comes out in deep supports (which are grindy as hell in the GBA games) so for the main story he's pretty dull. Casuals have this idea of Roy being a fiery hothead but in reality, he's a calculating tactician who keeps his head cool during everything. While admirable, it doesn't allow for him to better show that much emotion and he comes off as boring. Also, still Japan only, so no actual nostalgia for him aside from Smash/Melee.

Ike: One of the better reps, but that's only in hindsight. From the start, Ike was a relevancy character as Path of Radiance released in 2005 and Brawl started development in 2005. He has a unique moveset, but it grossly ignores even more unique things he could pull from like sword beams, axes, etc. Ike is stupid popular amongst casuals but that's mainly because of Brawl because the performance of his games is what set the franchise downhill to almost being canceled. (No marketing, releasing week of Super Mario Galaxy, etc.) People really appreciate the Tellius games now (see Path of Radiance's value on Ebay) but in the end, Ike was a relevancy character that had missed potential.

Robin: Now this is where the fun begins. Robin seems to have a pretty good rep in the Smash fanbase for being unique and from Awakening, but Robin is heavily contentious in the FE fanbase. He was the start of making overly self-insert avatar characters mainstream, and some see that as ruining some of the most important aspects of the franchise. (Story, characters, etc.) Another problem with Robin is shared with Lucina...

Lucina: Another Awakening rep. Up to Smash 4, there were 11 mainline games that weren't remakes, 13 games in total. Marth represents two games, Ike represents a game and a half (RIP Micaiah), and Roy represents 1 game. Robin was already representing Awakening, so that's about 5-6 completely unique games that could've been repped. Even if Lucina's slot could've only been an Echo: Celica from FE2 could've worked (sorry Opossum), Seliph from FE4 could've worked, Leif from FE5 could've worked, Eliwood from FE7 could've worked, and Eirika from FE8 could've worked. But no, while Lucina is technically a "Lord" she's ultimately a side character in Awakening (which was already repped) yet she was chosen over a lot of other options. (If anyone quotes me saying that Lucina is an Echo so she doesn't matter then only argue about 5 FE reps being too much.) This isn't even including Lucina's sword being shrunk in half to fit Marth's Falchion and her not canonically fighting like Chrom, so the character that is overrepping Awakening got misrepresented.

Corrin: Overall I bet the FE fanbase wishes Corrin wasn't an FE character. I don't need to go too much into it, but from Fate's story, characters, and how it is overly represented in everything FE after it, people really don't like Fates. Also, as the old saying goes: "Nobody hates FE more than FE fans". People hate Corrin on a surface level in the Smash fanbase but in-depth hate for Corrin goes around in the FE fanbase all the time.

Also, only one out of the 3 stages is from an actual location. From Awakening. No items. Lyn, the most popular FE character and one of the only highly popular characters who has genuine popularity (not just popular from Smash) is the only assist trophy.

Conclusion: All of the playable characters are either shoo-in first-protagonist Marth or convenient-relevancy-pick literally everyone else. The minuscule representation of potential is gross when it's a franchise that has axes, lances, bows, transforming stones, armors, pegasi, wyvern, horses, and multiple games to represent while the 3DS era takes up half the characters. Stages are a joke with the only stage that represents an actual location being on the 3DS and representing Awakening which got 2 playable characters. No items when there are vulneraries (healing pots), various stat power-ups which are rare for Smash items, etc. The only Assist Trophy for a series of hundreds of playable characters that "Assist" the protagonist on their quests is the most popular FE character who'd have a unique moveset for both FE and Smash.

I'm sorry, but don't hate the player, hate the game. The fanbase did nothing wrong and if it got what it would want and be satisfied with then the FE representation in Smash would be very different. Don't act like there are a bunch of people dancing around laughing as their somewhat niche little franchise seemingly destroys Smash Bros as a whole (at least that's what I can gather from how people react to it.)

(This isn't objective (nothing about this topic is) but it's what I can tell from the general fanbase and as a fan myself.)
To Awakening fans: In this, I might have hated on Awakening but that's not the case (I actually like the game), I'm just saying that while it was significant it's a majority of the only representation of FE in Smash while it has a ton of other things to pull from.
You're definitely right about there's being more than characters to a series. I should have acted a bit calmer about everything and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

It's just frustrating to me personally when FE got so much in smash 4 compared to other, bigger series (in terms of characters). For me personally, FE is the most boring series, both design and gameplay wise, to have ever been represented in Smash. So when people ask for more FE characters to be added, especially when the selection is already completely limited, the majority of the fanbase is against the idea, and when there are other, bigger series that are absolutely STARVED for new characters (DK, Kirby, Xenoblade), it just rubs me the wrong way, that's all.

Absoulutely nothing against people who do want more FE characters, you are of course entitled to your own opinion. Is really more of a personal problem than anything else.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My only disappointment is that Ganondorf has the same fanfare as the “heroic” LoZ characters. Pleased with Bowser, Jr. and Ridley’s fanfares though, and still holding out hope for Wolf to get a stand out fanfare!

(I also like Meta Knight’s but he’s technically not a villain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom