• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
But it is, though.:p
I'll play devil's advocate...
Counting the Pokemon Trainer as three, the Pokemon series has 9 characters which are already more than any other franchise and they've brought back three Pokemon that weren't in Smash 4. That's a lot of extra work already, and I could see them being content with the Pokemon we have now. Plus, Gen 7 lacking a common consensus favorite might work against it.

But I do expect a Gen 7 Pokemon as it's likely neither issue will matter and there's so much else more going for there being a new Gen 7 Pokemon. With prime candidates like Decidueye, Incineroar, Mimikyu and Lycanroc I'd place the odds of receiving one at around 90%.

Now, my top Pokemon?
Grovyle & evos, Noivern, Charizard, Flygon, Altaria.
Shoutouts to Mega Ampharos and Shaymin.

Boy, certainly no type bias here at all!

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Personally I think an Alola Pokémon is the second closest thing to a lock, behind Isabelle. I don't think Sakurai would skip over Pokémon's big twentieth anniversary title.
It's definitely one of the closest things to a lock but it's still not a lock. At this point anything that wasn't Inkings is volatile, most of the "necessary" inclusions are out of the way so this Smash can be anything. It's likely but I won't be absolutely shocked if Alola wasn't repped. Pokemon not getting a newcomer overall on the other hand... now that's impossible.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll play devil's advocate...
Counting the Pokemon Trainer as three, the Pokemon series has 9 characters which are already more than any other franchise and they've brought back three Pokemon that weren't in Smash 4. That's a lot of extra work already, and I could see them being content with the Pokemon we have now. Plus, Gen 7 lacking a common consensus favorite might work against it.

But I do expect a Gen 7 Pokemon as it's likely neither issue will matter and there's so much else more going for there being a new Gen 7 Pokemon. With prime candidates like Decidueye, Incineroar, Mimikyu and Lycanroc I'd place the odds of receiving one at around 90%.

Now, my top Pokemon?
Grovyle & evos, Noivern, Charizard, Flygon, Altaria.
Shoutouts to Mega Ampharos and Shaymin.

Boy, certainly no type bias here at all!
Gaahhhhh... I forgot Flygon and Altaria in my favourite lists as well.

I have a bias towards Grass, Fighting and Dragon types.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My favorite Pokémon will likely never get into Smash, but man...if any of these guys somehow made it in, I'd try my hardest to at least co-main them.
image.png

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's definitely one of the closest things to a lock but it's still not a lock. At this point anything that wasn't Inkings is volatile, most of the "necessary" inclusions are out of the way so this Smash can be anything. It's likely but I won't be absolutely shocked if Alola wasn't repped. Pokemon not getting a newcomer overall on the other hand... now that's impossible.
It's possible that Pokemon doesn't get a newcomer. It already has 9 reps.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It’s more so the fact that Fox and Falco got new voices to match up with the most recent Star Fox release (which was 64 3D), and it’ll most likely be the same crew again thanks to Zero
That's pretty much the sad part of the story. Smash 3DS / Wii U really messed up Fox and Falco by giving them new voice clips, instead of reusing their Brawl voice clips.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
TOGETIC!

But uh anyway, when are you all expecting to see the next Direct? Still sometime in July, in August, or sometime after August? I'm still personally expecting it sometime in July merely because of the Star Allies Wave 2.
I believe we'll get a direct in early to mid August. Mostly because they need to give us SOMETHING, and also it's one of the best bet of getting my favorite character other than DLC.

Also Togetic for Ultimate would be so cool and adorable, if it was in, I'd want it's final Smash to be a cutscene of it grabbing a Shiny Stone, evolving into Togekiss, and bombarding the opponent with a barrage Moonblasts, Flamethrowers, Thunderbolts, and Ice Beams causing a big explosion ala Air Strike, then mysteriously devolving back into Togetic.
we ended up with... Braixen. Not even a third evolution. Just... Braixen
Well to be fair, Braixen is the most popular Pokémon of it's evolution chain, in Japan and here in the West it's pretty cool looking. Pretty sure despite liking Braxien, I'm the only who likes Delphox.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Oooh, and I forgot about Breloom. I added a Breloom to my team in Omega Ruby and fell in love with the design, no shame in running two grass types. And three dragon types...
I don't even know if there's a Dragon-type that's green other than Rayquaza. But something like that
Flygon!

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don't even know if there's a Dragon-type that's green other than Rayquaza. But something like that
Mega Sceptile, you clever sneak you XD. Part Grass, part Dragon, all awesome.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Buzzwole would be so cool for smash, but he’s a version exclusive so I don’t expect him to be playable at all.

Perhaps there will be a sun and moon stage that actually changes it’s aesthetics and background Pokemon based upon the time like Smashville. Would be cool to see some Ultra beasts in Alolan stage, Buzzwole could be the day one, while pheromosa could be the night one.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mons I'd like to see added in Smash?

So far best ones I can think of are Slowking and Hitmontop from top of my head. I have enough fondness and excitement to them to at least see them in Smash overall.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mega Sceptile. Axew/Fraxure, Zygarde, Flygon, Shiny Dragonite, Shiny Salamence, Shiny Hydreigon, Shiny Druddigon, Shiny Latios, Shiny Mega Latias, Shiny Mega Latios, and more
Lots of Green Dragons in Pokémon.

Honorable mention goes to Meganium and Tropius, who are Green Dinosaurs.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well to be fair, Braixen is the most popular Pokémon of it's evolution chain, in Japan and here in the West it's pretty cool looking. Pretty sure despite liking Braxien, I'm the only who likes Delphox.
that's a good point but that's really easy to say now in hindsight compared to when the speculation was going on for that game; it's more pointing out, as well, that the expectations were certainly confusing b/c everyone was pretty positive we'd only receive third evolutions (which was also wrong)

so... yeah. guess we'll see what happens, but chances are, pokken and smash have no direct correlation.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Mons I'd like to see added in Smash?

So far best ones I can think of are Slowking and Hitmontop from top of my head. I have enough fondness and excitement to them to at least see them in Smash overall.

I'd support Hitmontop, it'll be the closest thing to a Breakdancer/Capoeira fighter I'd ever get in Smash unless Eddy, and Christie from Tekken make it in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm... it's 9 AM Monday in Japan... Blog Update soon?

Also, it's Summer Vacation, announcement in the coming weeks, maybe?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like Tokyo Mirage Sessions could get a sequel for some reason, like Nintendo still has interest in using the IP.

Thoughts?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Tokyo Mirage Sessions could get a sequel for some reason, like Nintendo still has interest in using the IP.

Thoughts?
I think it would depend on Atlus.

Even so I friggin love the game and a Switch port would be the bee’s knees. I don’t think it sold so well though :c

KMDP

Smash Legend

Thoughts?
I think they'd port the first one to Switch first, see how it does on a more popular system. Then make a sequel.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Shouting Pokemon we want? Give me MAROWAK! Plus, you'll have ALOLAN MAROWAK as an Echo. Just add fire to some of his attacks. Boom!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Blog updates usually hit around 30-60 minutes from now
All of a sudden, new character trailer.

Nobody sees it coming. Everything erupts into flames as Youtube Content Creators rush to make reaction videos.

Sakurai: *laughs*

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Thoughts?
The lack of a Nintendo Switch port is probably a bad omen for that series. Then again, Splatoon never received a Nintendo Switch port either, but it still got a sequel.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Nobody sees it coming. Everything erupts into flames as Youtube Content Creators rush to make reaction videos.

Watch it be something none expected, just to really shake things up for everyone.

Like this tragic do-gooder here:

I really miss this guy.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's possible that Pokemon doesn't get a newcomer. It already has 9 reps.
So what? It's Pokemon, one of Nintendo's biggest franchise and definitely one with the highest quantity of diverse characters that lend themselves well to Smash. It can easily afford to get a 10th character.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
that's a good point but that's really easy to say now in hindsight compared to when the speculation was going on for that game; it's more pointing out, as well, that the expectations were certainly confusing b/c everyone was pretty positive we'd only receive third evolutions (which was also wrong)

so... yeah. guess we'll see what happens, but chances are, pokken and smash have no direct correlation.
I'm hoping they do correlate, it's probably my only chance of getting Gardevoir as a newcomer.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Let me just say;

If it's not Ashley, then it will have to wait.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
I like how a week after Mario Kart 8 gets a content update, every leaker under the sun suddenly knows the entire future update plans for MK8. And they feel like including those helps boost their fake Smash leak to be more legit.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Watch it be something none expected, just to really shake things up for everyone.

I really miss this guy.
The last revealed newcomer for Smash Ultimate should be Joker, either as the last base game character, or last DLC character.

Because...

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Earlier in this thread, I saw someone say "With a name like 'Fire Emblem: Three Houses', it'll probably be a multi-version release like Fates." Which is... faulty logic, to say the least.

To start with; the game's name in Japanese is "Fire Emblem 風花雪月" (Fire Emblem: Fūkasetsugetsu; Fire Emblem: Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon); it's a reference to a Chinese poem and the terms are references to the seasons: Wind = Summer, Flower = Spring, Snow = Winter, Moon = Autumn.

Considering there are four concepts in the Japanese name, does that mean there are going to be four games? Pff, no. Just because the English name is Three Houses doesn't mean there are going to be Three Games; presumably, it's a reference to the families of the three main characters: Hræsvelgr, (Alexandre) Bladud and Regan. However, it's possible there'll be multiple story lines like in Fire Emblem 7 ("Eliwood Mode" and "Hector Mode" tell the same story from different perspectives).

The fact that Fire Emblem Fates (Fire Emblem: if) had mutliple games wasn't apparent in it's name, it was the subtitles that showed the multiple versions: Birthright/White Night Kingdom, Conquest/Dark Night Kingdom and Revelation/Invisible Kingdom). If Fire Emblem: Three Houses has multiple versions, then it'd be something like: "Fire Emblem Three Houses: Soaring Titans/Necromancy Vanguard/Little Kingdom", the three names referring to the what the names of the three houses mean/are referencing). Until then, it's better to think of Three Houses as what it probably will be, a single release.
Wow, the Japanese name is actually good?
"Three Houses" is such a terribly boring name without even comparing it to that.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

He could make it trollier by making it just be an incredibly underwhelming text post. Not even a trailer, or even a screenshot, and just randomly uploaded to social media rather than on the blog, so a lot of people would come across it before being able to make a reaction video.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So what? It's Pokemon, one of Nintendo's biggest franchise and definitely one with the highest quantity of diverse characters that lend themselves well to Smash. It can easily afford to get a 10th character.
It's not about reps its about resources. There's already three (technically four) more Pokemon in this game than there was in the last one, is it worth dedicating more man hours to another when there's only so much time in the dev cycle?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We're getting the return of Luigi's nose.
For the record, I always did enjoy his swag victory animation that has it follow his fingers around.

She still fires arrows, right? (Admittedly at a ludicrously high rate of fire :laugh:)

That's close enough in my book~.

NGL though I actually kind of want a Hyrule Warriors character, whether it's Impa, Lana or Linkle.
That reminds me, the twins from Fire Emblem Warriors are going to be dead in the water, since they're from a Koei Tecmo-developped game.

I really miss this guy.
Ah, if only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom