• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still wonder about that Bewear and Steve picture.

Bewear coming in instead of literally everyone would be funny as hell in a way.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I still wonder about that Bewear and Steve picture.

Bewear coming in instead of literally everyone would be funny as hell in a way.
It would keep the trend of "The Smash Community Being 100% Wrong with Pokemon" going.

Brawl: Mewtwo is coming back! Nope, here's :lucario:.
Smash 4: Either Zoroark or Mega Mewtwo Y are coming! Nope, here's :4greninja:.
Smash 4 DLC: It's hopeless, Mewtwo will never come back! Nope, here's :4mewtwo:.
Smash 5: It'll be Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc! Nope, here's Bewear.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Although the Vergeben leak is giving me more what I want, I actually prefer the one with Steenee and sports dude since it's a much more surprising one. Call me odd, but I'd much rather have 2 or 3 characters that no one expected than the same amount of "fan favourites".

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Although the Vergeben leak is giving me more what I want, I actually prefer the one with Steenee and sports dude since it's a much more surprising one. Call me odd, but I'd much rather have 2 or 3 characters that no one expected than the same amount of "fan favourites".
I'm so the opposite, we've had weird choices in the past and im just done with that we have enough "out there" characters now and the roster is getting to maximum capacity. just give us the last few nintendo all star characters who are missing at this point, seems like thats what the ballot was for anyway. no more excuses, they know who we want, just give us the fan favorites now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a question regarding the Newcomer Speculation threads. What happens to them if the characters in question become confirmed? Will they go the way of the Inklings and get their own Forum?
It will likely happen.

Best answer I can give at this time, sorry.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
That fake leak reminded me of something else I am excited for with the new game

the Character Art! What did you guys the CSS art for Smash 4? I honestly felt it took an different approach to a lot of poses, however strange to their character.

Mario has a fireball, which is pretty cool but a little surprising for character art. Mario is known more for jumping than his fireball (which you can see in his Melee CSS).

Luigi is just doing his side taunt? ok

Yoshi is showing his derrière

And Kirby is just sitting down

Fox and Falco have a mirror image to them (same as Ness and Lucas) which is a nice complement [never mind Falco almost dabbing]

Meta knight and Ike's are the coolest for me

On the other hand the villains have kind of a more cartoony feel to theirs. I can imagine Ganon using that pose in the Zelda CDi games "YOU MUST DIE"

So yeah I think Smash 4 had some cool choices although some like Lucario and Diddy Kong felt like random poses. I hope we seem some character art on the Smash Bros. website after E3.

:kirby:

edit: Zinith do you like every post on this thread that has Yoshi in it? You liked my post in record time again LOL

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That fake leak reminded me of something else I am excited for with the new game

the Character Art! What did you guys the CSS art for Smash 4? I honestly felt it took an different approach to a lot of poses, however strange to their character.

Mario has a fireball, which is pretty cool but a little surprising for character art. Mario is known more for jumping than his fireball (which you can see in his Melee CSS).

Luigi is just doing his side taunt? ok

Yoshi is showing his derrière

And Kirby is just sitting down

Fox and Falco have a mirror image to them (same as Ness and Lucas) which is a nice complement [never mind Falco almost dabbing]

Meta knight and Ike's are the coolest for me

On the other hand the villains have kind of a more cartoony feel to theirs. I can imagine Ganon using that pose in the Zelda CDi games "YOU MUST DIE"

So yeah I think Smash 4 had some cool choices although some like Lucario and Diddy Kong felt like random poses. I hope we seem some character art on the Smash Bros. website after E3.

:kirby:

edit: Zinith do you like every post on this thread that has Yoshi in it? You liked my post in record time again LOL
I think Ganondorf's is trying to show off his Triforce of Power, but without the iconic yellow glow, it just seems like he's a grumpy old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

(At least it fits how he plays)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It would keep the trend of "The Smash Community Being 100% Wrong with Pokemon" going.

Brawl: Mewtwo is coming back! Nope, here's :lucario:.
Smash 4: Either Zoroark or Mega Mewtwo Y are coming! Nope, here's :4greninja:.
Smash 4 DLC: It's hopeless, Mewtwo will never come back! Nope, here's :4mewtwo:.
Smash 5: It'll be Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc! Nope, here's Bewear.
I'd say Brawl's a mixed example as everyone guessed Lucario right, he was by far considered the 'shoo-in' Pokémon for Smash at the time. Mewtwo and PT did take people by surprise, though Mewtwo did have a strangely vocal group of fans that did call for his exclusion back in the day.

Smash 4 was almost completely off base though. Lucario was deemed the most likely cut for Zoroark, he was the second Pokemon confirmed for the game and Zoroark ended up being a Pokeball. Almost everyone thought it'd be Brawl + Mewtwo for the roster, we didn't get Mewtwo, PT was cut aside from Charizard, and we got Greninja. Sceptile was deemed a likely choice due to the type trio, it was no where to be found either in the base game or DLC, and so on and so forth. The only thing we got right was Mewtwo's ultimate re-inclusion, and as you said, even then there were some that doubted him for DLC (or DLC in general).

As for the Bewear picture, I don't think it means much on its own. I doubt Iwane would be privy to which character is in Smash as he's an animator for the anime and as far as we know (or at least, what's been documented), there's not any communication between Sakurai and the anime's animators. He has talked to GF and TCPi, but outside of that there hasn't been any association between the two parties beside the voice acting, which is not related to the animators in any way. So theoretically, it could've just been something Iwane did for fun, which considering Bewear's and Minecraft's popularity in Japan wouldn't be that surprising. With that said, Golden did bring up Bewear as a potential darkhorse a while ago due to how much merchandise it has associated with the anime, so it would make sense in retrospect if it ended up being chosen.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ok so i'm trying to get in touch with this thread

Is the vergeban leak still credible?
Is that new leak about Steene credible?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That would require an auto-biography for me to explain. So here's the short answer:

Yoshi consumed my soul
Nonsense, if Yoshi consumed your soul, you'd have been able to get it back from the egg he'd lay after.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ok so i'm trying to get in touch with this thread

Is the vergeban leak still credible?
Is that new leak about Steene credible?
Vergeban is about the same credibility as ever, nothing's changed there.
I don't think the Steene leak has even the smallest air of possibility to it, but apparently it's still worth discussing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, let's get more on-topic please. The joke posts in general are getting a little spammy and we should try to be a bit more constructive.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yes, let's get more on-topic please. The joke posts in general are getting a little spammy and we should try to be a bit more constructive.
I mean...

It's kind of hard to be constructive when we have literally next to nothing about the actual game to talk about, we've discussed and theorized to no end, we've already gone in depth on all the currently known leaks, discussed the characters of said leaks over and over...

Like I get staying on topic, but what else is there even to talk about? Being goofballs is just about all we have left until Tuesday.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean...

It's kind of hard to be constructive when we have literally next to nothing about the actual game to talk about, we've discussed and theorized to no end, we've already gone in depth on all the currently known leaks, discussed the characters of said leaks over and over...

Like I get staying on topic, but what else is there even to talk about? Being goofballs is just about all we have left until Tuesday.
Especially as there's 32 hours left till we finally get concrete info

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Not sure there’s any credit to that new leak, but the idea of Ridley as a tank on the ground, glass cannon in the air is actually kind of cool. Would fit his 3D game appearances where he usually had different attacks for when he was airborne, then switched it up once he was grounded.

Also, a completely random Pokémon would be delightful. Love it when things we think are a “given” get upended.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Have we ever got it right when predicting a new Pokemon? I for one never saw Pokemon Trainer or Greninja coming. We always like to make educated guesses only to have it thrown back in our faces with randomness..

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Alright, well, here's a discussion topic I guess.

...Do you guys really, honestly believe without a shred of a doubt Smash Switch will be a 2018 release game?

Like... I dunno. There have been a small handful of delays for games I did not expect to be delayed this E3 so far. And with how important Smash is, and with Smash being no stranger to delays, Sakurai being such a perfectionist... I just dunno. Maybe it's just because we know nothing about it, but wrapping my head around the game being this year just feels too good to be true.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

...Do you guys really, honestly believe without a shred of a doubt Smash Switch will be a 2018 release game?

Like... I dunno. There have been a small handful of delays for games I did not expect to be delayed this E3 so far. And with how important Smash is, and with Smash being no stranger to delays, I just dunno. Maybe it's just because we know nothing about it, but wrapping my head around the game being this year just feels too good to be true.
In previous console generations I would say no. But during the Switch era there haven't been any delays aside from Breath of the Wild which was in development for the Wii U. It might be a result of Nintendo's restructuring or maybe the Switch is actually magic, but if they say Smash will come out 2018, I'm more willing to believe them than I would 2 years ago.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Like... I dunno. There have been a small handful of delays for games I did not expect to be delayed this E3 so far. And with how important Smash is, and with Smash being no stranger to delays, Sakurai being such a perfectionist... I just dunno. Maybe it's just because we know nothing about it, but wrapping my head around the game being this year just feels too good to be true.
I say yes for one reason: they waited to announce it. For example, Brawl was announced years in advance, then things like Sonic delayed it. This time, considering how close they kept their cards to their chest, I have to assume they’re in a good position to launch on time soon after the announcement.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

I don't think it will. Nintendo's been good at not delaying big games with the Switch.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? On time.
  • ARMS? On time.
  • Splatoon 2? On time.
  • Mario Odyssey? On time.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2? On time.
  • Kirby Star Allies? On time.
The only delay would be BotW, and that was due to it being changed into being a Wii U game into a Wii U and Switch game.

Granted, its always possible that it could be delayed, considering Brawl had a history of being delayed, so it isn't something unknown to the series. But, as of late, Nintendo has been pretty good with it.
It's also not like Nintendo has any big games coming up other than Smash and Metroid anyway, their 2018 so far has been pretty poor and hopefully E3 will help with that

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Yes.

Not releasing Smash in 2018 would be marketing suicide. It's literally their biggest title this year and will have to be what they use to push holiday sales.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I know we are all hyped about the upcoming trailer and game footage and characters and everything about Smash. And discussion material is not a especially stale since we’ve probably gone over it many times before but let’s do try to stay marginally on topic and not allow the thread to devolve into chaos and anarchy of spammarific proportions.

We don’t want to start handing out spam warnings and infractions on the most holiest of days for Smash fans.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Smash 4 was almost completely off base though. Lucario was deemed the most likely cut for Zoroark, he was the second Pokemon confirmed for the game and Zoroark ended up being a Pokeball. Almost everyone thought it'd be Brawl + Mewtwo for the roster, we didn't get Mewtwo, PT was cut aside from Charizard, and we got Greninja. Sceptile was deemed a likely choice due to the type trio, it was no where to be found either in the base game or DLC, and so on and so forth. The only thing we got right was Mewtwo's ultimate re-inclusion, and as you said, even then there were some that doubted him for DLC (or DLC in general).
I remember things differently, but.
  • I'm pretty sure keeping Lucario was more common than cutting him for zoroark. While popular I don't remeber that replacement being the most common prediction.
  • While it wasn't that common it wasn't completely uncommon to keep only Charizard.
  • I Don't remeber Sceptile prediction being particulary common, mostly actual Sceptile fans. with type trio idea not that big argument for him because
    • Pokemon trainer already gave a type trio
    • You only rarely got Evolved starter trio because Greninja wasn't a complete shoo-in, because release schedule could have made him too new for being considered. This wasn't actually that off base seeing that Sakurai chose him on Concept Art.
  • Mewtwo I pretty much agree on

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hmm.

I dunno if we mentioned this already, but Vergeben's leak is getting more and more credibility.

His leak confirmed Just Cause 4 and a new Shonen Jump Crossover game, both of which were shown off at Microsoft's press conference.

These are scary times, boys and girls. Fun but scary times.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Hmm.

I dunno if we mentioned this already, but Vergeben's leak is getting more and more credibility.

His leak confirmed Just Cause 4 and a new Shonen Jump Crossover game, both of which were shown off at Microsoft's press conference.

And I don't thing we know those mystery Konami games yet which will most likely be revealed alongside Simon in Nintendo's presentation.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Hmm.

Is the Verg leak really that scary? I mean we get RIDLEY, Snake and IC's back, and a gaming icon in Simon. He didn't go overboard with other stuff, such as the imgur leak. I know this is a subjective topic, but as someone who isn't particularly attached to any of those characters even a little, I think the Verg leak sounds incredible for Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom