• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Relevance and prominence are not all that matters for a smash newcomer. They have to be an interesting fighter in some way. Yes, a character like Isabelle is prominent and relavent but the movesets I've seen basically consist of dropping stacks of paper around and waving a little flag back and forth. There has to be something interesting about the character as a fighter. I'm not 100 percent positive but I believe Sakurai said something to the extent of "new fighters have to bring something new to the table" which a lot of the newcomers suggested do not.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
@Ninka_kiwi

And it's why I want Barbara the bat.

I'm disappointed more people don't want characters from unique series like these. Instead it's always the common popular ones. I guess it makes sense. But if it weren't for putting in things like Marth in Melee, we wouldn't have Fire Emblem over here. We need more cases like Marth.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Okay, here’s a game.

Sakurai is done with people complaining about over representation. He’s doing five new fire emblem, five new Pokémon, five new mario, five new Zelda, five New Kirby, three new f-zero, three new Kid Icarus. Got another franchise you want to over represent, add either 3 or 5 characters from them.

Aaaand name em
Let's all perish together. :dazwa:

Fire Emblem
  1. Alm
  2. Celica
  3. Lyn
  4. Kiran
  5. Azura
Pokémon
  1. Decidueye
  2. Mimikyu
  3. Gengar
  4. Zeraora
  5. Lycanroc
Mario
  1. Captain Toad
  2. Waluigi
  3. Nabbit
  4. Pauline
  5. Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda
  1. Urbosa
  2. Daruk
  3. Revali
  4. Mipha
  5. Ganon
Kirby
  1. Marx
  2. Galacta Knight
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Robobot Kirby
  5. Dark Matter
F-Zero
  1. Mr. EAD
  2. Blood Falcon
  3. Jody Summer
Kid Icarus
  1. Hades
  2. Viridi
  3. Arena Fighter
Sonic the Hedgehog
  1. Tails
  2. Knuckles
  3. Amy
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Shadow
Animal Crossing
  1. Isabelle
  2. Tom Nook
  3. Rosie/Bob

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Okay, here’s a game.

Sakurai is done with people complaining about over representation. He’s doing five new fire emblem, five new Pokémon, five new mario, five new Zelda, five New Kirby, three new f-zero, three new Kid Icarus. Got another franchise you want to over represent, add either 3 or 5 characters from them.

Aaaand name em
Fire Emblem: Lyn, Celica, Chrom, Hector, Black Knight
Pokemon: Decidueye, Gengar, Scizor, Garchomp, Lillie + Nebby
Mario: Captain Toad, Geno, Waluigi, King Boo, Paper Mario
Zelda: Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, Tetra, Tingle
Kirby: Bandanna Dee, Marx, Magolor, Dark Matter, Galacta Knight
F-Zero: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, Pico
Kid Icarus: Viridi, Phosphora, Hades

Metroid: Ridley, Sylux, Dark Samus
Donkey Kong: Dixie, Cranky, Funky, K. Rool, DK Junior
Sonic: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Eggman
Mega Man: Roll, Zero, Tron Bonne

blackghost

Smash Champion
when i see someone list anna as a possible rep i wanted to dismiss it but nintendo has clearly embraced making mobile games and mobile gaming with heroes (live polls, events, frequent content, and reletively f2p games ie heroes). Putting anna in smash would be a firm confirmation that they are serious about mobile games and gaming.
this is how the buisness side of games works and how they think. Often they may advertise or present it as such but character selection isn't always sakruai end all be all.

As was mentioned smash is the best advertisement in gaming. outside of disney with sora most companies would exponentially benefit from a character inclusion.

that being said the second thing i wanted to say was the whole fire emblem character situation. i do think roy will be gone. his popularity lags well behind other lords and chaarcters and we know this through polls and fan demand (not smashplayers the actual FE games). i watched a series history on youtube with FE and every smash inclusion makes a lot of sense. applying the logic they used before i would anticipate the new FE character to be DLC not to be in the launch game. and i would expect lyn.
lyn has a distict fighting style from ike and marth and visually is very separate. robin, ike, and marth should all be safe only other possiblity to me is robin being replaced with celica. Celica is a classic fe character (so in the eyes of nintendo pseudo roy replacement) and has a play style that echoes robin.

the other way i saw in a video was to create a FE item that summoned FE characters like pokemon. sounds fun but most f this forum would never see them then.

i just want interesting characters and characters like waluigi and daisy don't seem interesting . i dont find "weird character" to be interesting.

Troykv

Smash Master
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Okay! Let's do it!

Fire Emblem

- Micaiah
- Celica
- Lyndis
- Ephraim/Azura (or any Spear User fitting)
- Hector

Pokemon

- Decidueye
- Incineroar
- Tapu Koko
- Arceus
- Scizor

Mario

- Waluigi
- Daisy
- Captain Toad
- Another One
- Kamek

Zelda

- Ganon
- Impa
- Tingle
- Midna
- Ghiharim

Kirby

- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Adeleine
- Marx
- Magolor
- Dark Matter

F-Zero

- Black Shadow
- Samurai Goroh
- Jody Summer

Kid Icarus

- Medusa
- Viridi
- Phosphora

Hell yeah!

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Ooh, boy.

Fire Emblem: Lyn, Celica, Chrom, Anna, and Micaiah
Pokemon: Marshadow, Decidueye, Genesect, Scizor, and Porygon-Z
Mario: Paper Mario, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Geno, and Daisy
Kirby: Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, Marx, Gooey, and Rick, Kine, & Coo
Zelda: Impa, Tingle, Ganon, Skull Kid, and Midna
F-Zero: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, and Jody Summers
Kid Icarus: Medusa, Viridi, and Hades
Metroid: Sylux, Dark Samus, and Rundas

Roberk

Smash Champion
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
A mix of repping multiple games within a franchise and personal picks.

Fire Emblem:
Lyn
Hector
Ephraim
Leif (heh)
Reinhardt (HEH!)

Pokemon:
Torterra (unironically my most wanted Pokemon. Heavyweight, grass starter, earth moves, yes please!)
Houndoom
Blaziken
Zoroark
Bewear

Mario:
Fawful
Kamek
Bowser's Minions (Goombas, Koopas, etc)
Daisy
Pink Gold Peach (heh)

Zelda:
Mipha
Daruk
Sidon
Urbosa
Revali
(I guess I, enjoyed BOTW somewhat)

Kirby:
Bandana Dee
Dark Matter
Galacta Knight
Marx
Adeleine

F-Zero:
Dark Captian Falcon
Dr. Captian Falcon
Girl Captian Falcon
(I have no idea lol)

Kid Icarus:
Viridi
Medusa
Hades

Xenoblade:
Elma
Rex (and Pyra/Mythra)
Nia
Zeke

ARMS:
Ninjara
Min-Min
Ribbon-Girl
Max Brass
Twintelle
(Literally anyone but Springman...)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Relevance and prominence are not all that matters for a smash newcomer. They have to be an interesting fighter in some way. Yes, a character like Isabelle is prominent and relavent but the movesets I've seen basically consist of dropping stacks of paper around and waving a little flag back and forth. There has to be something interesting about the character as a fighter. I'm not 100 percent positive but I believe Sakurai said something to the extent of "new fighters have to bring something new to the table" which a lot of the newcomers suggested do not.
Isabelle can be our terraforming character pretty easily.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Fire Emblem (keep in mind I know barely anything about the series so I'll be picking random characters I know):
Tharja
Lyn
Chrom
Zelgius
Whoever the upcoming FE's main character is

Pokemon:
Gardevoir (w/ or w/out Gallade tag team)
Plusle & Minun
Mimikyu
Raichu
Tsareena

Mario:
Daisy
Toad
Petey Pirahna
Paper Mario
Geno

Loz:
Wolf Link & Midna
Impa
Toon Zelda (preferably Spirit Tracks but w/ Tetra tag team would be fine too)
Tingle
Skull Kid

Kirby:
Bandana Dee
Adeline & Ribbon
Susie
Rick, Kine & Coo
Marx

F-Zero (again don't know a lot):
Black Shadow
Samurai Goro
Jody Summer

Kid Icarus:
Viridi
Medusa
Hades

And now we get into the other series that I want

Fossil Fighters:
Hunter (w/ Rosie, Dino and Dina palette swaps)
Jira/Tria & Nibbles
Duna

Splatoon:
Callie & Marie
Pearl & Marina
Octoling

Earthbound/Mother:
Ninten
Porky
Giygas (Giegue)
Paula
Claus (Mask Man form)

Wario Ware/Wario Land:
Waluigi
Ashley
Captain Syrup

Donkey Kong:
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
King K. Rool
Pauline
Stanley

Metroid:
Mystery Creature (A.K.A. Teen Ridley)
Dark Samus
Trace
Melissa Bergman (because there's no other(m) way for Mother Brain to be playable)
Sylux

Yoshi's Island:
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi
Kamek
Poochy

Mortal Kombat (for ***s and giggles):
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Liu Kang
Raiden
Johnny Cage

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
That's one way to bloat a roster. But alright. We MUGEN now boyz.

Mario: Paper Mario, Geno, Waluigi, Daisy, Petey Piranha
Zelda: Pig Ganon, Skull Kid, Vaati, Midna, Impa
Kirby: Bandanna Dee, Magalor, Marx, Gooey, Rick
F-Zero: Goroh, Black Shadow, Jody
Pokemon: Blaziken, Samurott, Decidueye, Heracross, Zoroark
Fire Emblem: Black Knight, Titania, Hector, Lyn, and Sothe...I guess
Kid Icarus: Hades, Medusa, Magnus
Metroid: Dark Samus, Ridley, Sylux
Punch-Out: Bald Bull, Glass Joe and King Hippo
Mega Man: Mega Man X, Bass EXE, Tron Bonne, Zero(MMZ ver), Harp Note. 1 character each from a different series.
Street Fighter: Chun-Li, Akuma, Alex

This'd never happen, but it'd be funny.

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem: Lyn, Celica, Azura, Jakob, Leif

Pokemon: Grovyle (PMD), Lycanroc (Dusk), Azumarill, Nihilego, Alolan Ninetales

Mario (counting related franchises like DK here too): Kamek, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Ashley, Captain Toad

Zelda: Midna & Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Impa, Pig Ganon, Tingle

Kirby: Bandana Dee, Marx, Rick & Kine & Coo, Magolor, Yarn Kirby

F-Zero: Blood Falcon, Black Shadow, Goroh

Kid Icarus: Viridi, Hades, Medusa

Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra, Nia & Dromarch, Elma, Riki, Kasandra or KOS-MOS if she can technically squeeze her way in.

I'm not familiar with this idea. What exactly is a terraforming character? It sounds cool.
In Smash it would translate to altering the stage. So like how Villager can plant a tree, Isabelle would spawn various public works projects for normals and/or specials.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If they were to add a stage dedicated fully to R.O.B (with it being a combination of Gyromite and Stack Up) how do you think they would go about it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not familiar with this idea. What exactly is a terraforming character? It sounds cool.
Basically they affect terrain.

For example, Isabelle helps build new things in Animal Crossing. Opo is suggesting that Isabelle could spawn a bench or something that could be used as an extra thing to hide behind, jump on, or attack.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

For example, Isabelle helps build new things in Animal Crossing. Opo is suggesting that Isabelle could spawn a bench or something that could be used as an extra thing to hide behind, jump on, or attack.
That sounds potentially awesome. It would be cool as long as it wouldn't become gimicky. Definitely a movesets that would bring something to the table. I support this now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What makes terraforming such a neat concept is that so many characters can do it in so many different ways.

Isaac and Isabelle could both have extensive terraforming movesets and be completely unique.

Isaac could focus on traps or immediate change while Isabelle could focus on cover or long term changes.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
These "games" you guys post and reply to are probably 60% of the thread at this point. It's annoying to read, but I can't really fault you guys. We desperately need news, or leaks to discuss.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So you know those stages where you would fight the False characters in the SSE? Well what if they made a stage that combines all of them by having the platforms change location and shape every so often?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Fire Emblem
Black Knight, Tharja, Michiah, Hector, Lyn

Pokemon,
Decidueye, Raichu, Blazekin, Meloetta, genesect

Mario,
Paper Mario, Fawful, Geno, E gadd, captain toad

Zelda,
Revali, Daruk, Urbosa, Mipha, Midna

Kirby,
Bandanna Dee, Marx, Daroach, magalor, galactaknight

F-Zero,
Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, (I don't know another f zero character)

Kid Icarus,
Hades, Viridi, Medusa

Metroid,
Ridley, Dark Samus, Sylux

Custom Robo,
Ray, Rahu, Hadron

I don't even give most of these a 0.01 chance but reality is already gone for this game.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
If they were to add a stage dedicated fully to R.O.B (with it being a combination of Gyromite and Stack Up) how do you think they would go about it?
I believe we’d most likely just get a Gyromite themed stage based on one of the levels if that was the case. I just hope ROB finally gets his own stage seeing as he’s somehow still the only playable character in Smash who’s franchise was not represented with one.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How would you all feel if we had gotten Adult Isaac in Smash than the Isaac most are familiar with?

Dig the beard or no?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
These "games" you guys post and reply to are probably 60% of the thread at this point. It's annoying to read, but I can't really fault you guys. We desperately need news, or leaks to discuss.
It's all we can do at this point.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

So Dr. Wright, the character?

I can dig it. (heh heh)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd love Dr. Wright. I'd take him over Isabelle and the terraforming mechanic would make more sense attatched to him.

And, like I posted earlier, I want more obscure characters to be in Smash over some popular ones.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don’t know why everyone complains about too many fire emblem characters
Let’s just even it out by adding more for every series ;)
Because it's Smash Bros, where everyone finds something to pick on until the game is out

...and then they will continue to pick on it until the next Smash

it's a never ending cycle here with a lose-lose situation

osby

Smash Obsessed
About "Smash should have more old characters, last game's characters were only adversiment" argument: Can we remember the whole roster in Smash 64 was really recent and/or popular without necessarily a huge history behind them?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Pyra's design is no obstacle to her getting in smash, it's just a ****ing terrible design that makes me dislike a character that would otherwise be whatever. Mythra is better tho since not only is her design more aesthetically pleasing (still bad but better), she's a significantly more interesting character. Solo mythra would be the best XC2 character even though it would never happen.
Um... Just came back and only look at a couple of pages... With 50+ page missed... So...
Just my own response, you dislike a character because of his/her design is pretty unwise in my opinion. Pyra has way better personality than Mythra in my opinion, so not sure where you going at.

And for tweaks and stuff it has pretty much been discussed in a very bias and eventually twisted way for the past few months, not gonna even bother until we get confirmation.
OK am I actually the only one that has no issue with Pyra's (and Mythra to include her) design? Women wear short/revealing clothing whilst fighting and traveling. I don't care if a bunch of nerds would fawn over her, it's not a problem with her then. It's a stylistic/fashion choice that is perfectly normal.

Undoubtedly the model will probably be tweaked for Smash but it's such a shame, really. Not everything has be to be sexualized despite "hints" at it.
You are definitely not alone on this one, hell, this may sound obvious but I can even say a majority of people who have played XC2 have no problems with the design.
But for those who aren't familiar with or a fan of JRPGs, it will be divided...
Honestly I like Mythra's design (stupidly short dress aside) but pyra's is just ugly to me, the super tiny booty shorts and huge cut outs on the side only make it worse, plus her entire body being red just irks me. My main issue though is that malos has a complete set of armour yet the other god sword is super sexualized for no damn reason.

Edit: also her boobs, what the actual **** were they thinking?
The damn reason is Saitou prefer that kind of design. It looks odd but you can't condemn the design just because it is sexualized in my opinion.

And bruh, Pyra and Mythra pretty much identical when it comes to boobs, what are you talking about? I am seeing double standards lol( half joking) and don't forget you have characters like Morag, Nia, Theory, Praxis. . . wait a minute.. .., Raiko, Agate, Ursula, Adenine, and Floren.
(checks Floren's gender)
Whoops...
I think Pyra is actually really well covered in comparison to other Xenoblade characters we have in smash.

And just as well covered as Samus to be honest.
And by looking at this thread's track record, some will bring up some certain design tweaks....
I mean... Oh well...
Pyra and Daisy discussion.
Living on the edge today I see.
I blame for some people that I will never mention who lol.
I also blame myself as well sometimes.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If we get a BotW stage (which I'm certain we will) what if a Guardian appears every so often to shoot lasers at a random player? Or maybe as a boss similar to Ridley.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's this planet... It's something about this planet.

:troll:

Those who have played Xenoblade Chronicles X will know what I'm talking about.
Or those who at least willing to hear the music Black Tar lol.
If we get a BotW stage (which I'm certain we will) what if a Guardian appears every so often to shoot lasers at a random player? Or maybe as a boss similar to Ridley.
And have that Guardian music playing whenever it appears, it will be scary...

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Mario:
Daisy - Paper Mario - Waluigi - King Boo - Petey Piranha

Zelda:
Skull Kid - Urbosa - Impa - Ganondorf with a new moveset - Tetra

Kirby:
BANDANA WADDLE DEE - Magolor - Prince Fluff - Susie - Taranza (or really anyone else save Bonkers and Knuckle Joe, I love Kirby that much)

FZero:
Goroh - Summers - Black Shadow (I know nothing about this series)

Kid Icarus:
Viridi - Medusa - Hades

Pokémon:
CHANDELURE - Vanilluxe - Sigilyph - Cofagrigus - Golurk

Bayonetta:
Jeanne - Rodin - Balder

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Mario: Captain Toad, Geno, Dry Bowser, Paper Mario, Daisy
Legend of Zelda: Midna, Skull Kid, Impa, Toon Zelda, Tetra
Pokemon: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mimikyu, Gardevoir, Meowth
Kirby: Adele, Bandana Waddle Dee, Marx, Chief Kawasaki, Gooey
F-Zero: Jody Summer, Blood Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Kid Icarus: Medusa, Magnus, Phosphora
Fire Emblem: Lyn,Chrom and... that' it...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Okay, here’s a game.

Aaaand name em
Fire Emblem
-Lyn
-Sharena
-Hector
-Ephraim
-Felicia

Pokemon
-Bewear
-Zeraora
-Grovyle
-Lycanrock Midday
-Gardevoir

Mario
-Fawful
-Captain Toad
-Waluigi
-Geno
-Paper Mario

Zelda
-Mipha
-Midna
-Skull Kid
-Linkle
-GROOSE

Kirby
-Bandana Dee
-Marx
-Rick
-Knuckle Joe
-Galacta Knight

F-Zero
-Black Shadow
-Goroh
-Blood Falcon

Kid Icarus
-Viridi
-Hades
-Phosphora

Custom Robo
-Ray Mk III
-Bit
-Rahu

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So I heard Blastoise was planned to be playable at some point. If that's true I wouldn't mind if they decided to just straight up put Blastoise in Smash!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Um... Just came back and only look at a couple of pages... With 50+ page missed... So...
Just my own response, you dislike a character because of his/her design is pretty unwise in my opinion. Pyra has way better personality than Mythra in my opinion, so not sure where you going at.

And for tweaks and stuff it has pretty much been discussed in a very bias and eventually twisted way for the past few months, not gonna even bother until we get confirmation.
I don't dislike pyra BECAUSE of her design, her design just makes me like her less and I already didn't like her because she's so bland, she's just a very boring character, especially compared to mythra who has some sass to her at least and her not really liking rex at the start makes for a much more interesting dynamic and relationship, plus they have some nice banter from it

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If they were to add a Mario Kart rep (who isn't Waluigi or Daisy) who would it be? Maybe Lakitu? I can imagine him using his cloud a tad like how Bowser Jr uses the clown car. Maybe Birdo? Heck even a Koopa Troopa, really!

osby

Smash Obsessed
So I heard Blastoise was planned to be playable at some point. If that's true I wouldn't mind if they decided to just straight up put Blastoise in Smash!
If I recall corectly Sakurai switched to Squirtle because he thought putting different evolution states into one character (alongside with Ivysaur and Charizard) makes a deeper fighter. Blastoise by itself... not a bad idea but also weirdly similar to Bowser, I think.

If they were to add a Mario Kart rep (who isn't Waluigi or Daisy) who would it be? Maybe Lakitu? I can imagine him using his cloud a tad like how Bowser Jr uses the clown car. Maybe Birdo? Heck even a Koopa Troopa, really!
I think Mario Kart is best represented by stages and items, they are the most important thing in the games.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Toad has been in every Mario Kart game to date. So if no Captain Toad, then Toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom