• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Super Confession: I've yet to play Xenoblade (just haven't gotten around to buying it yet). My support for Shulk was mostly based on me thinking his design is cool and the Monado looks cool.
-Going by the leaked photos, I hate that Wario's and Ganondorf's renders look like complete ass. It's a total contrast to how BYOUTIFUL the other characters' renders are. Namely Dark Pit, Shulk, and Ness are some of my favorites. Perhaps it's just the photo quality making them look bad so I'll reserve judgement till they're officially announced.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
-I have yet to play Melee or Project M
- When I began started to play competitively I had no one around to see how good I was. And I still don't to this day.
-I always wanted more than 2 earthbound stages in a Super smash bros game.
- I main Pikachu and Kirby since back in my old days in playing smash I used to spam thunder and stone a lot. It doesn't happen a lot now. (I still main these characters because i'm really used to them)

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
With every new Smash game, my goal is to practice, memorize, and get used to every character's moveset and then choose a main, that's just how I roll.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I used to think Ganondorf in Brawl was super op because he was one of the latest to unlock.
I thought Captain Falcon was part of the Star Fox series when I saw the Great Falcon cut-scene.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
-I only wanted Shulk in Smash for his sexy British accent.
-I don't main characters for their movesets, I main them for their designs.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
The problem is, it doesn't look like the kind of game I'd actually enjoy. I'll probably watch chuggaconroy's playthrough. I need more videos to watch on youtube anyways :p
No one could not enjoy playing Xenoblade. It's like an amazing 80 hour adventure. If you're going to waste your time watching a walk through you might as well play it.

As for my confessions
- I sold my copy of Melee after Brawl came out
- I hate Kid Icarus and everything his franchise is, for two reasons. He's one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered next to Tingle. Sakurai way over represents the franchise, I didn't think it deserved even a second rep, and now it's getting 3, smh.
- Meta Knight was my favorite character until I found out he was super OP, now I play him sparingly at most.
- I'm confident SSB4 will be the best Smash yet.
- Little Mac and Shulk were my two most wanted characters.
- The Wii U will be my last console, I won't drop gaming completely though.

Senario

Smash Ace
-I learned how to do ATs in Melee two months ago but don't care to dedicate myself to mastering it due to Smash 4 being so close.
You should still learn to do them. Just because a new game is coming out doesn't mean you have to play only the new game. I still play older mario games/paper mario games from time to time. Especially paper mario the Thousand year door, sticker star and super paper mario ): Huge disappointment in what I expected out of a paper mario game.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Super Confession: I don't own a 3DS. The one I use belongs to my sister. I was hoping on getting my own by the time Smash 3DS comes out but the announcement of New 3DS has me wondering if I should hold out till 2015...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Back in the Melee days, I fell for the: "Sonic and Tails are in Melee" False Rumor that was going around. It did not help that I was around 12 at the time.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
You should still learn to do them. Just because a new game is coming out doesn't mean you have to play only the new game. I still play older mario games/paper mario games from time to time. Especially paper mario the Thousand year door, sticker star and super paper mario ): Huge disappointment in what I expected out of a paper mario game.
Of course! I love all Smash games and go back to play them from time-to-time. However, I don't see myself joining the competitive scene in Melee anytime soon. With Smash 4 I can start from ground zero with everyone else! :chuckle:

I heard that about Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario. I really liked Thousand Year Door, but didn't want to disappoint myself with Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario since they change fundamentals of what I liked about TYD.

Senario

Smash Ace
Of course! I love all Smash games and go back to play them from time-to-time. However, I don't see myself joining the competitive scene in Melee anytime soon. With Smash 4 I can start from ground zero with everyone else! :chuckle:

I heard that about Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario. I really liked Thousand Year Door, but didn't want to disappoint myself with Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario since they change fundamentals of what I liked about TYD.
In a way, but not everybody will start from ground zero which is why I think you should just get into melee now and then switch over when the new game comes out if you want to. Things like techskill may be different in the new game but a few things will always remain constant. Proper spacing, thinking on your feet for fundamentals, recognizing what are good ideas/bad ideas and how to spot them and how to approach/punish, mindgames, and dealing with certain types of playstyles.

All of these things I feel aren't exclusive to melee but melee is a great place to learn them. A lot of current pro players of melee do have solid fundamentals and likely if they do play the new game they will start out better than your average guy so the more practice you get in the better regardless of game(though melee is the most well rounded one, brawl is all about neutral and mindgames which isn't bad but it doesn't teach you how to deal with pressure).

And yeah...I think all paper mario fans have a story about Sticker Star by now. Mine was being interested in a new game thinking they were going back to the good old paper mario style and storytelling (kinda). But when it released I heard a lot from fellow fans who did buy the game that warned me against getting it due to some problems with the game. It wasn't by any means a game that met expectations of what the normal fanbase of paper mario wanted. Appealing to a new demographic imo is a good short term policy but in the long term it is iffy because if you don't build up the same or more success with that new demographic within one or two games you've alienated the old fans and the newer fans may or may not be as interested in the game's future installments.

Compare this to Fire Emblem Awakening which also had 2 subpar games previous to that game by some standards (at least mine and a few friends who didn't enjoy shadow dragon and Radiant dawn). The new game not only brought back a lot of things older fans liked in the game (like actual support conversations) and a map system like sacred stones but they also added new things on top of the old stuff they brought back. New skills, new pair up system, new visuals, and most importantly the option to play in a "casual" mode where there is no permadeath. FE:A is a perfect example of what happens when you do a great job of giving the experienced player something new that still feels like the older games they may have been a fan of while adding just enough to bring in new people at the same time. It also helped that the hardcore fire emblem fanbase(which I am a part of) advertised the heck out of the game through word of mouth because it simply was a solid game they could get behind.

Playing the N64 game, I used to think Ness was the most powerful character because his weird recovery was a handicap to balance out his other attributes. I started to wonder the same about Jigglypuff and Yoshi, and I tried to use all three potently because they seemed specialized. I eventually settled on G&W for Melee, though.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Back in the Melee days, I fell for the: "Sonic and Tails are in Melee" False Rumor that was going around. It did not help that I was around 12 at the time.
I successfully did the "requirements" for them, so....yeah... :mad:
I never got(and still don't get) the "fun" of final dest, fox, no items.
melee was the first game I got for the gamecube, though it didn't register in my head that it was related to the smash bros on the 64 till weeks later.
I still haven't beat all-star with everyone in melee due to laziness.

Senario

Smash Ace
I never got(and still don't get) the "fun" of final dest, fox, no items.
Funny thing it isn't final destination only and only fox lol. The No items part is true though ;p. We do that because items spawn randomly and cloud up the whole skill based winning thing. The game becomes about who can grab and use the most items most effectively rather than who can beat the opponent and their character straight up. Generally I don't like that characterization as it is an uninformed idea.

Fox is popular yeah, but it is really hard to play him and there are plenty of other good characters that are all used to some degree. Sheik, Falcon, Falco, Marth, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Young Link, Samus, Luigi, Mario/Dr Mario, Yoshi, ect ect.

Oh and in terms of more confessions. I do think Shine is a little bit of a flawed move in general that could use some fixing in terms of combo ability and maybe damage.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- So far, I think Bath Time Theme is my favorite track in the Music section.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
The first time I played Brawl (I was 8) the match started as 1 stock and I walked off the stage and couldn't recover....

Ron94

Smash Rookie
- Got super hyped for super smash bros melee, after all the add they have made from 64.
-Unlocked Mewtwo with real hardcore battle.
-Thought i was the best at the game, for years, until my friends invited me to fight a "competitive falco"
-This defeat put me in deep introspection... then i discovered Advanced techniques.
-Roy was my main for year(even my hotmail adress) and i was like "marth is like roy but worse!"
-Main marth for competitive melee.
-Love as much item battle(especially pokeball in very high) as no item stuff.
-Got all trophies.
-Really liked brawl, main G&W.
Will buy Wii u just for the next smash

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Played melee stopped playing it. Played brawl loved it and played online all the time then eventually stopped playing that.
Then got bored one day picked up melee again was like omg this game is amazing and played it for days on end. Then got back on brawl to see if i was still good at it with my 100% save file played that game and realized how bad it was and hated the game right off the bat within an hour of playing it. Btw this is just my opinion of the game idk why I took years for me to realize that lol.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Super Smash Flash 2 is my favorite smash game. That might change change if I ever play Melee/Project M.
It might not. SSF2 is a good competitive choice if you don't like wavedashing/L-canceling but also don't like Brawl's flaws.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
It might not. SSF2 is a good competitive choice if you don't like wavedashing/L-canceling but also don't like Brawl's flaws.
Thanks, but I don't plan to enter in a tournament, simply because the smash scene in my country is pretty much non-existent. I just joined this site because: 1. I enjoy watching top-level play 2. I want to keep improving my skills.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
  • Despite preferring Melee, I also am fine with Brawl's slower gameplay.
  • The only clone I hated in Melee was Pichu but that was only because he/she too damage from using electric attacks.
  • I'm indifferent to Lucas's apparent deconfirmation.
  • I played Coin mode and Bonus mode in Melee just as much as stock battles.
  • I enjoyed Subspace up until the Tabuu battle (at the time I didn't think you could spot dodge his "butterfly" attack).
...I think that's it.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Oh, another one:
- I don't get why people hope/are afraid that characters from the original 12 are going to be cut, and I thought it said it for itself. And seriousy, how can some Mewtwo fanboys hope that Jiggs will be deconfirmed in favor of Mew2? Stop trying to make it happen. It's not going to happen.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I thought if i turned on Heavy in Special Brawl it would be identical to Melee.

D

Deleted member

• I might be using Dr. Mario more than regular Mario if he's even close to how he worked in Melee.
  • I'm really looking forward to test out the entire of the leaked roster, but I'm a bit hopeful that people are right about the All-Star Mode not being unlocked in the ESRB conference.
  • My all-time favourite smash stage will always be Battlefield. And I'm not competitive.
  • I don't believe that Smash Bros skill can be deduced through an items-on/stages-other-than-battlefield matches. It's relative of course, but the less chance/stage advantages the better.
  • I don't really want to deduce skill very often, so for the majority of my matches, I love playing it casually.
  • I really like the bumper and rolling crates. Especially combined.

Oldbag

Smash Cadet
Just probably not get it, Xenoblade X and SSB4 will be a great end to my console gaming.
Are you joining the realm of PC Gaming?

Also mine
  • I used to use Meta Knight exclusively
  • Smash 4 will be a dumbed down 64
  • I play Melee with a Mouse and Keyboard
  • I broke my copy of Brawl because I couldn't beat a level 9 Ike.
  • I did that last night

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
That stupid "Toad rumor" back in Melee days had me trying to unlock him, with its ridiculous methods; shoot all names during the Credits or something like that.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I really do try not to complain about the roster, but Lucina was just so badly handled. I mean, according to that Famitsu interview, they didn't even change something like her running speed from Marth's. She's the only newcomer that I'm not even remotely willing to give a chance, because Sakurai? You really could have done better than that with her.

Last edited:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Nope, I might play new games with friends, but nothing more than old games by myself.

Some more confessions I though of

- I only want Ridley playable in the game to prove all the naysayers wrong.
- I'm going to "share" my sister's 3DS to play smash bros before the Wii U version comes out.
- I think stage hazards are completely fair as long as it's possible to avoid them with skill.
- I wanted the main character from Red Steel 2 as well as a Monster Hunter character that uses multiple weapons (maybe make it a felyne) even though they were EXTREMELY unlikely.
- Why smash has no DLC or plans for it yet, still boggles my mind.

Last edited:

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1

Also mine
  • I used to use Meta Knight exclusively
  • Smash 4 will be a dumbed down 64
  • I play Melee with a Mouse and Keyboard
  • I broke my copy of Brawl because I couldn't beat a level 9 Ike.
  • I did that last night
Add me in SSF2 online. Im Sababu1

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I could never unlock Luigi in the original Smash Bros due to thinking that Yoshi's Target Test was hard. Wasn't until I got older before I eventually got him and felt stupid

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I feel extremely humiliated when I even get scratch-damaged by a CPU, because I've somehow convinced myself that even the lowest-level competitors are able to consistently do no-damage runs on single player on Very Hard/Intense without even breaking a sweat.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I prefer the Classic Controller over the GameCube controller.
I prefer Brawl over Melee.
One of my favorite fighters in Melee is Pichu, and I want it to return.
I use the control stick to jump, and I don't see why anyone would ever disable that.

Top Bottom