• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Series Confessions

Nielicus

Smash Lord
When there's no one to play with online, I role play by myself like making Rosalina fight Bowser because she's the protector of the universe .... And I do this while blasting Lady Gaga

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • I feel humiliated when I lose against one of the "skill gate four" (:4littlemac::4bowser::4zss::4link:) online because I can't help but imagine that's a screaming twelve-year-old behind the controls; a screaming twelve-year-old that I just lost to. I know that's probably not the case, and I'm trying to cut it out, but right now, that image is associated with those four to me.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
  • I feel humiliated when I lose against one of the "skill gate four" (:4littlemac::4bowser::4zss::4link:) online because I can't help but imagine that's a screaming twelve-year-old behind the controls; a screaming twelve-year-old that I just lost to. I know that's probably not the case, and I'm trying to cut it out, but right now, that image is associated with those four to me.
Skill gate four huh...first I've heard of the term. Don't get me wrong it isn't bad or anything, but it sounds like something worth noting for now.

Anyway thought up another confession:

Because of my 3DS's shoulder buttons sometimes being unresponsive (thanks Uprising and MK7) I feel like I'm pulling a big john when I lose against someone, especially if I was playing on one of my mains and I couldn't shield or roll properly.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wasn't too cool on Duck Hunt, Dr. Mario or Dark Pit when they were first leaked, but after a while I came to like them.

I'm probably gonna be super rusty when I get around to playing Smash 4 cause I haven't played any Smash in quite a while. I have, however, been watching competitive Twitch streams and observing how some people use certain characters.

Also, I'm probably never gonna play For Glory against random people. Friends only? Probably.

Last edited:

Xernuht

Smash Rookie
Let's see...
  • I personally believe the series has improved with each installment. 64 provided a fun game, but felt too small. Melee was bigger and flashier, but it was too fast for my liking and I could never find a character to settle with. Brawl (the first I owned) was perfect for me content-wise, except it was a bit too floaty/slow for my tastes. 3DS is damn near perfection, but WiiU will probably be perfect gameplay-wise.
  • Continuing the above point, I am a lover of stories, so SSE was a massive draw for me. When Sm4sh was confirmed to not have a story mode, I groaned and moped a bit. Still, Smash Run is fun.
  • I don't hate clones, but I hate when people view making clones more unique as a bad thing. As such, I hate what Project M did to Falco.
  • When I play Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario, I feel an absolute desire to kill things with Back-throw, even when it isn't logical in the least.
  • I have never truly dropped a main in this series. I still use Link, Zelda, Pit (less so w/ Dark Pit, but still), Sonic, ZSS and Ike.
  • In Melee, I never understood the appeal of Sheik after using her. Zelda was better for me.
  • The Robin/Lucina trailer made me borrow my friend's 3DS to start playing Awakening. I'm in the process of finding a copy for myself.
  • As part of the above, I believe :4lucina:>:4marth:, if only because I lack the attention span to maintain sweetspot range for Marth, and Lucina's hotter.
  • I used ZSS in Brawl because she was hot, but over time, her moveset really clicked with me. That, and Zelda became superior.
  • I never once looked up Peach's dress. I learned quickly that Zelda wears pants.
  • I welcomed all of the newcomers this outing, especially Shulk (cool design, British), Palutena (eye candy, nifty moveset), Dark Pit (+50% edge, better Final Smash IMO) and Dr. Mario (the best of the Mario Bros. in one package).
  • I'm not fussed on Ridley being playable, but I don't understand all of the spite involved around this one character.
  • My current eye candy rating for the series goes :4zelda::4lucina::4palutena::4zss::4robinf::4wiifit::rosalina::4peach:.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
For the longest time, I thought "PSASBR" was some incredibly ill-received Brawl hack using Project Smash Attacks made by the Smash Back Room. I couldn't imagine it could have been that infamous, especially since I'd never heard of it. The reality makes a ton more sense.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd prefer if Dark Pit remained the way he is, literally having all of four moves with any difference at all.

Actually, I'd prefer if one in specific was changed to match Pit's.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I am absolutely horrendous at grabs and shielding in SSB4. In FG, I manage maybe one successful grab per fight.

I never noticed Brawl was slower/floatier than Melee until people brought it up online.

I can't do well as Meta Knight in Brawl. He just doesn't click with me, despite how broken he is.

Back in the Melee days, when I was in middle school, my friends and I would have 3 stock matches last 30+ minutes because we all played Marth or Roy and essentially just countered repeatedly. None of us knew to grab an opponent when they counter, so almost every fight became a lengthy stalemate.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Because of my 3DS's shoulder buttons sometimes being unresponsive (thanks Uprising and MK7) I feel like I'm pulling a big john when I lose against someone, especially if I was playing on one of my mains and I couldn't shield or roll properly.
This is pretty much me, but weirdly enough, the shield button (R) is the one button I've used the least.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Despite all the sh*t I've said about Zamus's stupid rocket heels, I've gotta confess... I still enjoy playing her. I still don't find her as mechanically interesting as I found her in Brawl but I think she definitely controls well.

My main gripe with the current version of her is that the new "jet boots" that they've kind of refocused her moveset around is not a mechanic. It's more of an aesthetic combined with a bit of a power buff on certain moves. Meanwhile, the actual mechanic that makes Zamus interesting (the stun gun) has been nerfed/simplified in some ways... though it's still effective.

Also, I main Peach and Jigglypuff... so I needed an alt. character with an actually good run speed anyway.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I feel like I've been unnecessarily hard on competitive players, so I'm making a conscious effort to be more open-minded about the competitive scene.

I'm actually trying to learn such in-depth and competitive tactics for when I do want to play competitively~

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
When there's no one to play with online, I role play by myself like making Rosalina fight Bowser because she's the protector of the universe .... And I do this while blasting Lady Gaga
Sometimes if I'm just playing randoms, particularly FG doubles, I'll make up inane RP situations for Robin/Zard/Samus (whichever of my mains I'm using), my teammate, and my enemies. And I too love to jam the Gaga while I smash (if you couldn't tell by my username) It gets me in the zone!

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I lost to a Link in FG once. :yeahboi:

I've really only lost to the upper tier / amazing online characters :rosalina::4zss::4littlemac:

But :4link:??? Too many projectiles...in some delay ;_;

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I abhor Toon Link because his freaking voice is the most obnoxious one in the entire game to me. Link's is at least cool sounding.

For the longest time, I thought "PSASBR" was some incredibly ill-received Brawl hack using Project Smash Attacks made by the Smash Back Room. I couldn't imagine it could have been that infamous, especially since I'd never heard of it. The reality makes a ton more sense.
You have no idea how deep it goes.

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
I self-destruct as Yoshi more often than I would like to admit, especially in Project M. For some reason, the UpB lift removal made me realize how much I used it in Brawl.

InfiniteNumbers

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteNumbers
3DS FC
1693-2938-8132
I use tap jump for everything besides raw wavedashing and shffl in Melee.

The only SHDL I can do 100% of the time is the retreating one despite that supposedly being hard with tap jump.

I played 20 hours of the various Smash games this weekend with my friends and do not regret it.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
My original Main in Smash 64 was Samus, and I unlocked Captain Falcon years later (Last year to be exact).

I never considered Captain Falcon to be my main until I watched the F-Zero anime, I always enjoyed his play style, but the anime cemented it in my mind.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
My original Main in Smash 64 was Samus, and I unlocked Captain Falcon years later (Last year to be exact).

I never considered Captain Falcon to be my main until I watched the F-Zero anime, I always enjoyed his play style, but the anime cemented it in my mind.
that makes me wonder how CF would play if they didnt base him off kamen rider

in the old comic and in the TV show he's like, all CQC

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
I never used the C-Stick when I used the GameCube controller.
I used up-tilt to jump for the past 8 years of my life, only started using X a few weeks ago.
I replaced my GameCube controller with a third-party Classic Controller that is shaped like a GameCube controller, and it is considerably better in my opinion.
I almost never notice input lag.

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
I self-destruct as Yoshi more often than I would like to admit, especially in Project M. For some reason, the UpB lift removal made me realize how much I used it in Brawl.
I mostly use the upB to 'sweetspot' the ledge now since i realized that i makes Yoshi grab the ledge from twice the usual distance, even backwards.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- Out of all 4 Smash games, I'll have to say that I loved Melee the most. Not for its fast paced nature, just because it's the one I've played the most and it pretty much defined my childhood. That being said, I rarely want to go back to it.
- Admittedly, I've played Brawl the least (or second to least considering 4 is still fresh) but the only reason I want to go back to it is cuz I miss the Icies, Lucas, and Wolf. I still think it's a floaty mess regardless.
- When finding a new opponent in 1v1, I send out Shulk or Rosalina to test the waters and gauge their skill level. If they're intense, I stick soley to my mains and pick secondaries only when I'm against a more "comfortable" opponent.

Last edited:

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
- I actually prefer Dark Pit over Pit himself
- I only played brawl with a sideways wiimote until last year
- I lose more often than I win in For Glory
- I actually like coin battles but no one ever wants to use them
- I have never used a gamecube controller for Smash.
- I didn't know who (here we go) Ness, Lucas, R.O.B, Marth, Ike, Ivysaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Pit, or Snake was until I played Brawl
- I never played Pokemon until after Brawl

Last edited:

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
Wait, I'm not the only one?!?

Forgot about this:

-I have never actually finished all of the events in any game.
I don't understand how people ever confused him for a girl. He doesn't look that effeminate.

Anyway:
-I've yet to play Sm4sh online.
-Sm4sh is the first game in the series I successfully meteor smashed somebody.
- I want board the platforms back as much as break the targets.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand how people ever confused him for a girl. He doesn't look that effeminate.

Anyway:
-I've yet to play Sm4sh online.
-Sm4sh is the first game in the series I successfully meteor smashed somebody.
- I want board the platforms back as much as break the targets.
Your not alone, at least. :grin:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I dont think Diddy's broken. I think Diddy's a really good character, one of the best, and I love using him, but broken? I have trouble seeing it.

I also hate Sheik with a fiery passion and think Sm4sh would be a better game without her. I think they could have done something great by removing Sheik and remolding Zelda to be a combination of Zelda from previous games and Sheik. After all, they're the same person, why shouldn't Zelda have access to some of the things that make Sheik top-tier? But as it is, we get a pointless but powerful character that I hate and an iconic but terrible one that could have been so much more.

SirHeru

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirHeru
3DS FC
3625-8486-0293
Where shoud I start...

~When I was playing Melee (my first GameCube game), the only thing I knew was Side Smashing, Down Air and Up B with Link...not even joking
~I used to only fight against Level 1 CPU's in Melee
~I used to believe Ganondorf could beat Meta Knight
~I always said, my main in Brawl was Link even though I never played as him, I just said "I'm saving him for a special moment"
~I always said Brawl was better than Melee
~I used to say tier lists are stupid, everyone could beat everyone and everyone is equally good, YOU just have to be good (lol, I feel soo bad right now)
~I will never be good at any Smash, I'm untalented as f**k, still I played hundreds, maybe thousands of hours all through out Smash
~I really like the Subspace Emissary and I was really sad when it was cancelled in Smash 4

If I find something new I will just post a new reply :)

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I get rekt by Samuses eevrywhere, even though I main Falco.

It is engraved into my brain toll under shield pressure, or when they dsmash, or when I whiff. I've spent months trying to breaks the habit, even removing my shield buttons didn't help.

I suck at Ganon.

Top Bottom