• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

CrimsonDivine

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what it is but the games UI looks really weird and unprofessional, especially on the realistic background.

Looks like an iphone game UI from 2008. Not trying to be 100% negative but maybe you could have one of the artists work on a nice and smoothly animated UI for the menus and in game battles?

(If it's GUI sorry but I hope you understand what I'm talking about)

EDIT: or is it called the HUD sorry I'm not very good with technical terms)

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo No problem He's looking nice too! I really like the side attack haha

@ CrimsonDivine CrimsonDivine Sorry I was more focusing on the feel of the controls and not so much the art side of it. The art style of the HUD or UI isn't the best, but it will be revamped before release.

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Great news! 1v1 battles on local WiFi are lightening fast! It took me forever to figure it out, but definitely get a friend and test it out in the next version :D

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
awesome update :) just started playing it a couple minutes ago, world of difference.

one big thing, though, you really need to fix the teleportation when you get hit by an attack. for example, that clip at 22 seconds where the up special is used, instead of naturally using knockback to drag the opponent along, i can see that you're just changing the x/y coordinates of the opponent to match. that's cheating :p

ssf2 did that in really early builds and i'm glad we don't anymore, it makes a world of difference.

i've also managed to get stuck in the floor quite a few times.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I like this update a lot. I played 1 match already with the new character but there is this bug where you can charge down attacks. Haven't check it it also worked for other directions or other characters yet. But I like how his attacks are similar to Pikachu's moves.
Other than that, I liked everything even the menu and music were nice. I think the control layout could have buttons where you can use up and down attacks so people can see that they could do that.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Still alive guys, love how the game is looking, personal life is getting in the way right now but I'm not dead! haha. I messaged jdawg to let him know what's up.

Also I agree about the UI needing change, I liked it better before honestly. I'll need to get the new beta

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
awesome update :) just started playing it a couple minutes ago, world of difference.

one big thing, though, you really need to fix the teleportation when you get hit by an attack. for example, that clip at 22 seconds where the up special is used, instead of naturally using knockback to drag the opponent along, i can see that you're just changing the x/y coordinates of the opponent to match. that's cheating :p

ssf2 did that in really early builds and i'm glad we don't anymore, it makes a world of difference.

i've also managed to get stuck in the floor quite a few times.
Actually the "teleportation" was in the last version I believe. It's just more apparent now as I made the attack accelerate and decelerate a lot faster. I'll fix this though.

I have no idea why characters are now stinking in the floor now either. I'm sure I'll find it soon.

I like this update a lot. I played 1 match already with the new character but there is this bug where you can charge down attacks. Haven't check it it also worked for other directions or other characters yet. But I like how his attacks are similar to Pikachu's moves.
Other than that, I liked everything even the menu and music were nice. I think the control layout could have buttons where you can use up and down attacks so people can see that they could do that.
I'll add the up and own arrows. Also I'm going back an forth between joystick and arrow keys.

On a side note, my computer's hard drive broke D: It was about 5 years old so it's had a good run. I'm currently in the process of fixing it, and may have to get a new one. Meanwhile, I'm using my brother's mac to work on making a PR release and a website.

And don't worry, the coding files are all backed up (on like 3 sites because I'm paranoid).

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Check out our rank on IndieDB :D

Edit: Haha it was at 57, but has now died down :(

Last edited:

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
After some things and stuff, I present (hopefully) all of Mr. Randoms sprites. Here's some of them that I didn't show before. Sorry for the delay, but it's better here now then never here at all. I stayed up all night to finish these off, so here they are!

: Mr. Randoms falling sprite from his first jump (not used in his double jump)

: Mr. Randoms walking sprite, carelessly walking with makes him seem more like he's running, something I was going for.

Mr.Randoms in his idle animation. When he's left alone, he'll do that laugh with his buck-tooth (Also, that little mistake by his shoe was fixed)

: Mr. Randoms' down normal. He uses his eyes to smash the ground. If this needs to be bigger, then I can make it bigger.

: Mr. Randoms's neutral normal, he just stretches his head and hits you with it!

: Here's something that can come out of Mr. Randoms' fryer basket. This is something spiky, random, and not food. This cactus just shakes his maracas until he disappears. He can appear very rarely.

Here's another thing that can appear out of his fryer basket. This is a species/character known as Scary Face, just some red circle thing that originally crested to scare me when I wanted to get some orange juice. It's design is somewhat messy, and it always moves like that.

I hope everything is alright, and Mr. Randoms can be worked on soon. If there's anything that I should change, then let me know : 3

Attachments

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Nice!!! I'm so excited. My laptop broke (boot sector somehow broke), and my new one is coming next week :D When I get it I'll be able to get to work on him :D

Do you think you could compile the images into single png files like this? (attached) If you could put the projectiles in a separate folder in the same manner that would be great! This allows me to use a program to produce the smallest most optimized sprite sheet possible, and to also make it usable for the game.

Attachments

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Good new, I just got my new laptop for college :D It's a Lenovo Y410p Laptop. I was lucky to get a great deal on it too. Here's the specs
• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8.1 64
• 14.0" HD Glossy with integrated camera (1366x768)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

This can handle pretty much any programming things I'm going to need for a computer science major next fall. I just set up everything today and it runs beautifully.

Also, I'm leaving for a mission trip this Saturday for a week, so I will not be in contact with anyone until the 21st. Please pray God keeps everyone safe and that He can help us reach those we will we serving.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Ahh... I'm back from obscurity but I at least got two of the special attacks down. Just tell me what needs improvement if ever. Just glad to see you guys doing well.

Neutral + Special

Signals a pose as his minion charges forward to the opponent. Explodes upon impact but leaves the player vulnerable to a counter attack if dodged.

Down + Special
(charge)
(blast)
LJM will charge his attack (by eating a burrito off course), and when released, he will unleash a blast whose power and backlash length depends on the charge time.

Weak:

Strong:

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Okay, so this is what I've got so far for the day. This is LJM's Up Special. A pogo stick falls down and unfolds before hitting the ground; as the pogo stick bounces over the player, he will jump to the stick and mount it just as it will hit the ground. I'm thinking of adding some ground dust effects as he hits the ground but what do you guys think about the move so far?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I'm back! The mission trip was great. I might post about it on the dev blog when I have time.

Anyways, back to business.

@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Nice work!!! I'm really pumped about LJM. Can you explain the up special again? I'm a bit confused where the pogo stick comes from and how you would use it in the air.

@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Thanks so much! I've already started programming him. Here's a screenshot!

super_smash_clash_four_characters.png

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Wow, Mr.Randoms is fitting in right in the clash of battle, hopefully he doesn't cause to much trouble for you (cause he is very random).

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Okay, LJM's Down+Special is done, any other input to his specials will be greatly appreciated. If there are no objections, I shall proceed to tuning up some of the sprites and then lastly submitting the finalized separate png images:

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Well, thinking about the Up Special again, I think it would be easier to have LJM mount the pogo stick immediately and bounce to save him from further delay. Anyway, glad to see you have a new dev setup. Is the picture you posted in game? something looks a bit "off" with Mr. Randoms, he doesn't appear to be as crisp as the other 2 fighters.

I also tried out your BETA ver. 04. Had fun with it but it seems the subtle game mechanics and particularly the UI needs some work. Here are a bit of my nitpicks:
  • The menu looks fine but when playing, it seems the up and down button are left out even if I can still perform them in attacks.
  • Is the jump button always above the attack buttons? As someone who has mostly played platformers, it feels natural to have the jump at the bottom and the actions above it. Never played a Smash game before though so maybe they do have that setup as a default.
  • When running into an opponent, you kinda drag them along the stage instead of them stopping you from moving forward. In most fighting games, when you walk up to an opponent you do push them but very slowly as if they had weight to them.
  • More sound effects will definitely add to the experience. Something along the lines of an arcade fighter will give more energy in the attacks, hits, landing, defeat, etc.
  • CPU1 sometimes stays still or loops as if he's still jumping. It doesn't happen most of the time but it is noticeable as you play.
  • A very minor nitpick but, I'm a bit iffy on how the penguin's land sprite feels a bit too long. Have it run for half a second shorter maybe?
Anyway, these are just nitpicks and I know that this is still BETA but I wanted to give some input hoping they would be addressed. That aside, I am looking forward to the finalized game. The game runs smoothly and I like the AI of the second CPU. I can see myself playing this in commutes, won't be the deepest fighter but it will make for e fun brawler. Hope you aren't put off with what I said, just thought these might be something to keep in mind for the next update.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Okay, LJM's Down+Special is done, any other input to his specials will be greatly appreciated. If there are no objections, I shall proceed to tuning up some of the sprites and then lastly submitting the finalized separate png images:

@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Well, thinking about the Up Special again, I think it would be easier to have LJM mount the pogo stick immediately and bounce to save him from further delay. Anyway, glad to see you have a new dev setup. Is the picture you posted in game? something looks a bit "off" with Mr. Randoms, he doesn't appear to be as crisp as the other 2 fighters.

I also tried out your BETA ver. 04. Had fun with it but it seems the subtle game mechanics and particularly the UI needs some work. Here are a bit of my nitpicks:
  • The menu looks fine but when playing, it seems the up and down button are left out even if I can still perform them in attacks.
  • Is the jump button always above the attack buttons? As someone who has mostly played platformers, it feels natural to have the jump at the bottom and the actions above it. Never played a Smash game before though so maybe they do have that setup as a default.
  • When running into an opponent, you kinda drag them along the stage instead of them stopping you from moving forward. In most fighting games, when you walk up to an opponent you do push them but very slowly as if they had weight to them.
  • More sound effects will definitely add to the experience. Something along the lines of an arcade fighter will give more energy in the attacks, hits, landing, defeat, etc.
  • CPU1 sometimes stays still or loops as if he's still jumping. It doesn't happen most of the time but it is noticeable as you play.
  • A very minor nitpick but, I'm a bit iffy on how the penguin's land sprite feels a bit too long. Have it run for half a second shorter maybe?
Anyway, these are just nitpicks and I know that this is still BETA but I wanted to give some input hoping they would be addressed. That aside, I am looking forward to the finalized game. The game runs smoothly and I like the AI of the second CPU. I can see myself playing this in commutes, won't be the deepest fighter but it will make for e fun brawler. Hope you aren't put off with what I said, just thought these might be something to keep in mind for the next update.
Hey Karakato. The only objection I have is the his fart needs to be bigger. It would be better if you made the fart a sepparate image so that way I could make it a projectile (even though it wouldn't act like one). So just have an animation of LJM acting like he's farting, and leave the fart separate.

Great job btw! Awesome work. I'm really excited for him.

Mr. Randoms is not fitting in very well for some reason. I've got 6/8 attacks programmed, but his physics are wack. I honestly don't know how to make him fit in. I'm thinking he should be floaty, but that's not seeming to work.

I'll work on those nitpicks. I really like them. I need people like you to spot them, because let's be honest, I've overtested this thing. I can't spot this stuff. I'll post a video of Mr. Randoms when he doesn't look so bad.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Thanks, I just made the strong Fart blast, how is it?

How about we have three levels of Fart strength? The first one is an uncharged one, the second is charged (my earlier "strong" blast), and the third is full charged (the one I just posted). Also don't worry about the farts, I got them separated from the fighter.

If there are no more further objections, I am practically done with LJM. I never thought it would take this long and I really am sorry for delaying this one. I guess I didn't push myself enough for this one, but I'm glad with what I did. Anyway, if you need further help with the other characters, I can pitch in to help finish their sprites or if you guys need some assist characters, I can do my part. I just don't think I can do another full fledged character by myself, at least until this game releases. Maybe for the sequel perhaps ;)

EDIT: I already compiled all the separate png sprites into my dropbox and sent them to your Gmail account in advanced. Just tell me if they are all good to go.

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ Karakato Dzo Karakato Dzo Looks great! I'll get to work on him as well. I got the email and dropbox folder. You guys are all awesome :D

Here's a video of Mr. Randoms and his 6/8 attacks I've finished. This is after 2 days of work (I'm programming way too much lately). @ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
So I've made the decision to stop developing characters (at least for the first release). If someone wants to make another character you can, but just know I will have to put them in in an update of the app.

Here's all the characters
- Flare
- Lord Jump Mad
- Ragdoll*
- Penguin*
- Mr. Randoms
*need new name

Here's an outline of the classic singleplayer mode
1. player vs flare
2. player vs team randoms (18)
3. player vs ragdoll
4. player + ragdoll vs flare + LJM
5. player vs penguin
6. player + LJM + ragdoll vs giant penguin
7. board the platforms
8. player vs team ragdoll (8)
9. player vs LJM
10. player vs shadow-self
11. race to the finish
12. player vs fighting grids (30)
13. player vs some sort of a boss

Here's on outline of the event match levels (so far)
1. player vs penguin
2. player + penguin vs flare
3. player vs ragdolls (20)
4. player vs giant penguin (he's really powerful)
5. slow motion level
6. vs mini characters
7. everyone jumps high
8. normal level
9. sudden death type level
10. you can't get hit once
11. triple teamed by hardest level characters
12. triple teamed but you only get one life and they get three (this sounds hard, but it's possible I beat it once..accidentally)

Minigames
1. board the platforms
2. race to the finish
3. targets
4. home run

You start with these characters
- flare
- penguin

You start with these stages
- battlefield

Unlockables
- LJM
- randoms
- ragdoll
- final destination stage
- dungeon stage
- space stage
- stamina mode
- wallpaper (this is good promotional for when people use each other's phones)
- costumes (are we doing this?)

Freeplay modes
- time
- stock
- handicap

Online modes with friends
- time
- stock
- handicap
- stamina (if one has unlocked it)
- co-op event match

Co-op event match levels TBA

Achievements and highscore tables TBA (through google play or gamecenter)

Items
- food
- missile
- clash cube*(see what I did there? xD)
- box*
- container*
- sword*
- gun*
- invisibility cloak*
- bomb*
- speed boost*
- jump boost*
- size increase*
- size decrease*
- attack increase*
- metal*
*need sprite
most of these we still have to discuss

Final smashes...or final clashes? TBA

Now that's a long list. Anyone got objections before I start wrapping this game up?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
So I've made the decision to stop developing characters (at least for the first release). If someone wants to make another character you can, but just know I will have to put them in in an update of the app.

Here's all the characters
- Ragdoll*
- Penguin*

- clash cube*(see what I did there? xD)
I'll throw out some names and maybe you'll like one of them.

Penguin:
-Mr.Chillz
-Bubbles
-Frosty (or Frosty the Penguin)

Ragdoll:
-Sack doll
-Sacky?

As for the clash cube. I didn't see what you did there...jk xD

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I'll throw out some names and maybe you'll like one of them.

Penguin:
-Mr.Chillz
-Bubbles
-Frosty (or Frosty the Penguin)

Ragdoll:
-Sack doll
-Sacky?

As for the clash cube. I didn't see what you did there...jk xD
Good names. Frosty the Penguin sounds good. My gf is pushing Mr. Puffs so I might have to go with that xD

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
So you're bringing back the ragdoll I see, I can see him like a crash test dummy that one can hit in a practice/tutorial mode. Why not give him a name that also acts like a serial number like DUM-33Y (Dumeey=Dummy) or CR-45H (Crash). I dunno, it's just that many inorganic/object characters are given serial type names.

Anyway, Since you mentioned that you're only adding more characters in the game in a post release update, what's the update with the other characters we've seen so far? (The evil queen, the swordsman with the glasses) Anyway, I kinda went back to see if I could do something to my previous smoke character, Dioxin. Downsizing didn't do the trick so I had to touch him up a bit:

Here he is scaled with the other fighters:

Also, are you interested in non in-game material like official character portraits/illustrations? I can do something about it, but I just want to know what kind of style you want.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Sounds good so far. I think there should be more stages though. You should really bring back the flappy bird inspired stage, except recolour it. How about a stage that takes place in a destroyed city block with fire hazards and stuff?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
So you're bringing back the ragdoll I see, I can see him like a crash test dummy that one can hit in a practice/tutorial mode. Why not give him a name that also acts like a serial number like DUM-33Y (Dumeey=Dummy) or CR-45H (Crash). I dunno, it's just that many inorganic/object characters are given serial type names.

Anyway, Since you mentioned that you're only adding more characters in the game in a post release update, what's the update with the other characters we've seen so far? (The evil queen, the swordsman with the glasses) Anyway, I kinda went back to see if I could do something to my previous smoke character, Dioxin. Downsizing didn't do the trick so I had to touch him up a bit:

Here he is scaled with the other fighters:

Also, are you interested in non in-game material like official character portraits/illustrations? I can do something about it, but I just want to know what kind of style you want.
I like CR-45H. I'll see what else I come up with. I'm putting him as an actually character because we are so hard up for characters.

I think right now it would be wise to focus on official character illustrations. I'm not exactly sure what art style would work best, but I think I'm just looking for some sort of an HD picture of each character with each of them doing a signature move. What do you think?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Ok we also need to images for the Google Play Store. Here's a list. If you'd like to help make these that would be greatly appreciated :D I've posted photos I already have done, and you guys can tell me if they are ready for launch or not.
- Hi-res icon, 512 x 512, 32-bit png (with alpha)
smashclashicon512.png

- Feature graphic, 1024w x 500h, jpg or 24-bit png (no alpha)
- Promo graphic, 180w x 120h, jpg or 24-bit png (no alpha)
- Screenshots (phone) can be seen here if you are a beta tester https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.impactgamesstudio.games.smashclash

Here's a website which shows how each of these are used. http://xayin.com/thisisatest.html

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good so far. I think there should be more stages though. You should really bring back the flappy bird inspired stage, except recolour it. How about a stage that takes place in a destroyed city block with fire hazards and stuff?
I will be putting Flappy Bird back in. I just need to change some things. That sounds like a great idea too, but someone needs to step up and make it soon.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Did a Vectorized illustration of one of the fighters, would this art style fit the bill?

Also, I noticed that you have listed down, a Boss-type character in the list, what do you have planned for that one?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Did a Vectorized illustration of one of the fighters, would this art style fit the bill?

Also, I noticed that you have listed down, a Boss-type character in the list, what do you have planned for that one?
This is perfect!!! Can you do the others too? I don't have much planned for the boss except he can't be a hand xD Any ideas?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ SheldonRandoms SheldonRandoms Are you happen with how Mr. Randoms was turning out? If you want to keep spriting, we could make Mr. Random's brother/sidekick/enemy (I don't remember what he was) and we could put him in as an update later this year.

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Mr.Randoms is looking swelltastic in the game so far, who knows, maybe he'll be your new main ;3

As for the list, everything looks good. For the boss character, perhaps it can be a character that has different forms. His first form can be normal sized like the other characters, then when he takes enough damage, it could transform into something bigger.

Also, about Mr.Randoms brother/sidekick/enemy, you must be taking about Sheldon, the other stick figure character (if that's who you were talking about) then sure, I could come up with something. I've been busy with work, and also had to recover from going to the carnival :dizzy:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Mr.Randoms is looking swelltastic in the game so far, who knows, maybe he'll be your new main ;3

As for the list, everything looks good. For the boss character, perhaps it can be a character that has different forms. His first form can be normal sized like the other characters, then when he takes enough damage, it could transform into something bigger.

Also, about Mr.Randoms brother/sidekick/enemy, you must be taking about Sheldon, the other stick figure character (if that's who you were talking about) then sure, I could come up with something. I've been busy with work, and also had to recover from going to the carnival :dizzy:
Great! I like that boss idea. I'll come up with some ideas for transforming bosses.

There really is no rush for making Sheldon (that's who I was trying to refer to haha). He obviously won't make the first release, but you literally have as long as you want to make him. Just don't procrastinate it too long if you want to add him in ;)

Also I've had a fan asking me to report this idea for a character: an animal on all fours. It can swipe as an attack and pick up players on its hind legs. If someone likes this idea we can always make him and then include him in an update :)

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Alright, i'll come up with something, and (hopefully) he'll take less time to make then Mr.Randoms did (Also hopefully the procrastinate part dies down more this time)

As for an animal on all fours, I like that idea, I'll also try to think of an idea for that character as well.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
LJM is looking great! Finished the basics. Now I'm just working on the attacks :D

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
The boss character should look like a guy that is powerful like sone lord or something. That's all I got for an idea on what the boss could be.

Also I answered the questions from your survey.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
@ jdawg99 jdawg99 Glad you like my drawing, already scribbled some drafts for two other characters. Should I post them here or email them to you if ever there would be design changes? Anyway, would it be a good idea to use my Smoke character as the boss? I already have his movement sprites down as well as some attacks, we can have him transform into his second form (A gigantic evil Head perhaps?)

Also, do you have a Smash Clsh logo that I can paste alongside the characters to make them seem more "legit"?

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
We don't really need another giant evil hand final boss. How about a six armed evil robot with massive lasers and swords? It's random, i know.

Top Bottom