• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash Bros. Wii U Opening Cinematic

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Melee's opening still reigns, mainly because of how awesome Melee's theme is. The Smash 4 opening isn't bad, they did a great job with the mash up of gameplay and CG trailer scenes, but gods the Smash 4 theme is SO bad, it kinds of ruins it a bit for me.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Music is love , This music is life ...

Good Match Up , The Iconic 4 ( Mario / Sonic / PacMan / Megaman ) all have their moment in this .
But no exclusif CG , disapointement are comming .

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The music sounds great! But thanks to Brawl, I miss my vocals in my opening. :p
I was hoping for unique CG for this but I don't really mind the end result. Still a bit disappointing though.

Perhaps more clips can be added to the opening as we unlock more characters?

Last edited:

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
Aww, I was hoping for a Melee-esque opening, with exclusive CG scenes and all. Oh well, it looks pretty alright nonetheless.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Don't even care about there being no new CGI footage, the graphics in the game are good enough for it to not matter, and the gameplay was really well choreographed. I love how Donkey Kong is carrying Kirby at the end. :3

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Brawls is still the best imo

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
You know, as much as I liked Melee's and Brawl's opening cinematic, I just like the feel to this one more. Not to mention the editing is simply masterful! As someone who has done a great deal of video editing, they did a fantastic job. I liked the combination between the character reveal trailers and in game cutscenes. Plus, the music is pretty fantastic. And I wasn't expecting any CGI cinematic either given they could just use the character reveal trailers anyways. No sense in making a brand new expensive CGI cinematic just for a 2 minute intro that people will only see once or possibly twice before skipping after playing the game for a while.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
doesnt even compare to melee's (or even 64's) but whatever its not that important, woulve been nice though to have a special made opening

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'm really disappointed with that opening. I know it's a "first world problem" thing to get upset over the opening cutscene to a video game but my hopes were really high for something visually exciting and instead we got this. Even Brawl, a game I don't really care for, had a more exciting intro than this. It's like something the video editor quickly slapped together during his/her lunch break. I mean there are fan videos on Youtube that would have made for a better opening:

Plus why don't they have the announcer scream the title of the game anymore?

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
This opening cinematic turned out to be exactly what i feared it would be, re-used clips from all the reveal trailers. I was hoping Sakurai would realize after Brawl's opening only using existing Subspace Emissary cutscenes that he would give this game a unique cinematic for the opening just like he did with Melee.

Remember, the reason Melee had such a fantastic opening was because Sakurai wanted to show off what the GameCube was capable of. You'd think with the first HD iteration of Smash, that even runs in 1080p, would get a unique opening to justify this.

Extremely disappointing, especially when the game has had a beautiful cinematic made specifically for an advertisement.

This was made for an event in Japan. Yet he couldn't be bothered to use this talent for the game's opening?

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Intro is better than Brawls, but not as good as Melee's.

They honestly could have put more into it as well. A better rendition of the main theme specifically for the opening would've been astonishing.

The more I look at Melee's opening, the more I feel this is lazy.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Do we honestly need a CGI intro video to get excited about Smash Bros. for Wii U or to set the mood for the game? No, we really don't. I know many of you wanted a more cinematic CGI filled opening but let's be honest here, it's nice to see once and a while but most of us just breeze through the opening and get straight into the action. It really shouldn't be that important in the long run. We've got a crap ton of modes, stages, characters, music, easter eggs, special features and more. Let's be positive and be grateful for what we have gotten not what constantly comparing to previous iterations. The most important aspects of Smash Bros. has been improved, refined and grown. To me, and I think to many others, that's FAR more important than how an intro video looks. Just my thoughts on the matter. Your more than welcome to disagree and be disappointed with what you saw, I will never stop you from thinking that way. Just consider what I have said at the very least. ^_^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Remember, the reason Melee had such a fantastic opening was because Sakurai wanted to show off what the GameCube was capable of. You'd think with the first HD iteration of Smash, that even runs in 1080p, would get a unique opening to justify this
You're taking that WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of context.

The Melee opening was to show of that the GameCube could play a decent quality pre-rendered video AT ALL. Because at the time, pre-rendered videos in games were in their infancy.

That Melee opening is not rendered real time on the GameCube. Neither is this one, or the Brawl one. Only the Smash 64 one was.

Also, to all those people saying "WELL WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT EFFORT INTO IT LIKE MELEE IT HAD AN ORIGINAL-" *shot*

Stop.

The Melee opening was the game's E3 reveal trailer. Technically, Smash 4 is going above and beyond, as it has clips from MULTIPLE CGI trailers, AND carefully choreographed gameplay that shows off the lovely game engine.

Melee will always have the best intro, especially given that it's musical score set huge milestones for the series, but think about it: How would you feel about the intro if you had never seen any of the footage from the trailers and character previews?

Melee came out in 2001, where information was still not as frequently transmitted throughout the media and is nothing like what we have today, such as access to smart phones and high speed internet (I can recall still having dial up). Before Melee was released, none of us saw anything near an introduction, as all we seen from the E3 2000 trailer was some brief gameplay footage, so everything felt fresh. We've been low key spoiled with all the footage we have.

I can get the complaints, though. Because Melee's intro flowed so well, and was almost all cinematic with a very brief moment of gameplay. The trailers felt as if they unified all these worlds together in their own elements , and then the ending with the announcer shouting to the top if his lungs made your hairs stand on end. To this day I still get chills from it.

I think what could have helped was if the gameplay in the footage had some of the gameplay sounds introduced to it like in Melee to give it a less muted feel, that and having some footage that extends to each character in their universe wouldn't hurt either. I still like the intro, but it's not a deal breaker for me considering how this game looks like I'm playing a cinematic.

But the announcer not yelling the title out loud is some strait up bull****. How you gonna yell during the entire 35 minute video, but you couldn't find the time to say the games title once? What a bozo.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Sakurai (Not "the" Sakurai, sorry that I said that) must have focused a lot more on the Wii U version. The 3DS doesn't have an intro and has less stuff, so I'd call that "beta" compared the real deal, the Wii U.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I'll second EpF and Flawed. It trounces Brawl's minus the worse music, but it can't top Melee's seamlessness and amazing music. That trailer still gives me excitement.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think it's alright, I really wish they would have made a opening made specifically to be an opening though. It just seems a bit boring.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
You're taking that WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of context.

The Melee opening was to show of that the GameCube could play a decent quality pre-rendered video AT ALL. Because at the time, pre-rendered videos in games were in their infancy.
That is what i said, the sole reason for Melee's strong intro was because the N64 wasn't capable of displaying pre-rendered CGI cinematics. The entire opening had it's own dedicated cinematics because of this, because like i said, Sakurai wanted to show off what the N64 could not.

That Melee opening is not rendered real time on the GameCube. Neither is this one, or the Brawl one. Only the Smash 64 one was.
I never said Melee's opening was real time rendered on the GameCube, what are you talking about? I'm not an idiot. CGI cinematics was possible on GameCube, as it wasn't on N64. That is what i was getting at.

Also, to all those people saying "WELL WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT EFFORT INTO IT LIKE MELEE IT HAD AN ORIGINAL-" *shot*

Stop.

The Melee opening was the game's E3 reveal trailer. Technically, Smash 4 is going above and beyond, as it has clips from MULTIPLE CGI trailers, AND carefully choreographed gameplay that shows off the lovely game engine.

Now you're just trying to twist things around, the game's opening was shown for the game's introduction at E3 2001. It's not rocket science, it was specifically made for the opening. Not for E3, why the hell would they put all that effort and work into that cinematic if it was just meant for E3?

Smash 4 is just repeating what Brawl did, displaying "MULTIPLE CGI trailers" where as Brawl displayed multiple CGI cutscenes. It's the same tactic.

Don't get so worked up because someone has an opinion you don't agree with.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
For a character with little hype, Sonic's part of the intro fit much more and was more badass than Pacman's and Megaman's part (though the part with Super Sonic and Mega Legends final smashes were boss)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That is what i said, the sole reason for Melee's strong intro was because the N64 wasn't capable of displaying pre-rendered CGI cinematics. The entire opening had it's own dedicated cinematics because of this, because like i said, Sakurai wanted to show off what the N64 could not.

I never said Melee's opening was real time rendered on the GameCube, what are you talking about? I'm not an idiot. CGI cinematics was possible on GameCube, as it wasn't on N64. That is what i was getting at.

Now you're just trying to twist things around, the game's opening was shown for the game's introduction at E3 2001. It's not rocket science, it was specifically made for the opening. Not for E3, why the hell would they put all that effort and work into that cinematic if it was just meant for E3?

Smash 4 is just repeating what Brawl did, displaying "MULTIPLE CGI trailers" where as Brawl displayed multiple CGI cutscenes. It's the same tactic.

Don't get so worked up because someone has an opinion you don't agree with.
Yeah, but you had this morsel:

You'd think with the first HD iteration of Smash, that even runs in 1080p, would get a unique opening to justify this.
Why does Smash Wii U need a CGI opening (it TECHNICALLY has one though) to justify being in native 1080p? The Wii U being able to display native 1080p pre-rendered videos would not be impressive in the slightest. I have videos on my Youtube channel that do this. My DVD player can do it.

It's a completely different scenario to what was being done with Melee and the GameCube.

I'm not twisting anything, it's you that's doing the twisting. Especially since you are completely ignoring how Smash 4 shows off what the Wii U can do way more than Melee did for the GameCube, all because Smash Wii U doesn't have a specifically made opening when Melee "did" (it didn't) - Online play, 8-Player Smash, GamePad being used for stage creation and photo editing, NFC technology with Amiibo, and having the ACTUAL engine run at native 1080p at 60FPS. Oh, and like, 7 controller options.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Melee's intro and reveal are slightly different.
Melee's opening did not use any reveal trailers.
Melee's opening went in depth with character and character relationships and character representation.

If you had no idea what Captain Falcon did in his games, you would find out during the Melee opening where you see that he pilots a race car.

When Ness appears in the melee trailer, he lands in Onett of his game, with some antagonists from his game in the background.

We don't get any of that fanservice here. Thats why it's not as good.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well, I at least like it better then brawl. Better music and a better put together montage.

Yeah, melee and 64 will always be the best, but at least in terms of just a montage. Good enough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If you had no idea what Captain Falcon did in his games, you would find out during the Melee opening where you see that he pilots a race car..
This literally happens in the Smash 4 intro too.

And there are many other instances.

Mega Man fighting the Yellow Devil.
The different generations of Mega Man teaming up.
Sonic and Shadow posing together.
Rosalina & Luma on Rainbow Road.

Et cetera, et cetera.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Glorious, yo. I rather enjoyed it. Better than Brawl's for sure. Dunno about Melee's. I do wish that it had had a bit of original CG but it really doesn't matter that much.

D

Deleted member

I expected the intro to be something like this, so I kept my expectations low.
I doubt that we will get an intro to Smash that will surpass Melee's.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not bothered by the lack of new CGI since the 10+ CGI trailers we got already were perfection anyway.

And even had differing art styles in some cases.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
This literally happens in the Smash 4 intro too.
No. Captain Falcon's final smash animation does not count to him Driving his car, knocking off a character from his own game in his own game world.

Not to mention, ahem ,CGI?

It is a passable intro, but I expected more.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No. Captain Falcon's final smash animation does not count to him Driving his car, knocking off a character from his own game in his own game world.

Not to mention, ahem ,CGI?
Oh, so you make arbitrary rules out of nowhere now?

WARNING! WARNING!
NOSTALGIA BIAS APPROACHING!!!

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Remember, the reason Melee had such a fantastic opening was because Sakurai wanted to show off what the GameCube was capable of.
Except the GameCube wasn't capable of what the Melee opening showed. It was pre-rendered animation.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne

WARNING! WARNING!
Alrighty then, since I complained about CGI, brought up points about CGI then mentioned CGI again, I'm biased. Yeah, alrighty then.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Why does Smash Wii U need a CGI opening (it TECHNICALLY has one though) to justify being in native 1080p? The Wii U being able to display native 1080p pre-rendered videos would not be impressive in the slightest. I have videos on my Youtube channel that do this. My DVD player can do it.
The PS1, Sega Saturn, DVD's, PC's and whatnot was able to display pre-rendered videos. When the GameCube came out, the concept of pre-rendered videos was far from new, as consoles from the previous generation was already able to do it. That didn't stop Melee from getting it's opening, this was a matter of wanting to show off what the GameCube could do what it's predecessor could not. You saying there are already devices out there that can display native 1080p pre-rendered videos has no bearing on why this game should have avoided a Melee-esque opening.

I'm not twisting anything, it's you that's doing the twisting.
Nice "no u" response. You really don't come off as less credible by doing that, or anything.

WARNING! WARNING!
If you didn't lose all your credibility before, you certainly did now.

Especially since you are completely ignoring how Smash 4 shows off what the Wii U can do way more than Melee did for the GameCube, all because Smash Wii U doesn't have a specifically made opening when Melee "did" (it didn't) - Online play, 8-Player Smash, GamePad being used for stage creation and photo editing, NFC technology with Amiibo, and having the ACTUAL engine run at native 1080p at 60FPS. Oh, and like, 7 controller options.
You're completely wandering off to Neverland now. I never said Smash Wii U as a game doesn't do Wii U justice, it definitely does. This was a subject about the opening, not the game. How you went to twist the subject like this is beyond me, and act like i am criticizing the game as a whole when i simply was expressing my feelings on the opening.

That said, i am not debating this any further with you. Because i can see we're not going to get anywhere, as you seem very defensive about someone else's opinion. I suggest you go take a breather, and man up.

Last edited:

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I think some people are forgetting is that with Melee, they put all the money they used for CG into the opening, and it was also the video that announced Melee, with Smash 4, they have tons of CG videos announcing the newcomers, so instead of getting one epic video like Melee, we got tons of epic videos, it makes sense that they reused all the newcomer videos and put it into one, just imagine if you didn't see the newcomer videos and saw the opening first.

It isn't lazy because they already put tons of effort into the CG videos.

Top Bottom