• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash Bros. Wii U Opening Cinematic

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
When Ness appears in the melee trailer, he lands in Onett of his game, with some antagonists from his game in the background.
Those aren't antagonists. That's the Runaway Five.

Play EarthBound if you haven't already. It's great and still holds up.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I like it. I don't really care if the opening is CGI or not personally.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Like I said in the Social Thread, it's not bad. It's just boring.

Melee's is still the best and 64's is second.

This one is still better than Brawl's, though.

Plus, Smash 4's main theme is easily my favorite in the franchise now. I can listen to the Menu theme all day long. <3

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Regardless of the video, i'm so glad they used the E3 version of the song, you know the one they used in the very first trailer.
Those opening notes make it even better.

Last edited:

Xtremee

Smash Apprentice
Pftsss i really hope the opening changes with all the chars unlocked
besides...HERE IS TO having a Special Movie like melee did
oh how i miss that

Niala

Smash Ace
To be honest, I'm not impressed. It's all footage we've either seen or is random gameplay footage. They did a pretty good job mixing the music with the visuals, but aside from that it's nothing special. Melee still reigns supreme in this category.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I agree with the most people here. Not a great opening cinematic. N64 and Melee's were still the best.

It seems something has been taking up a lot of Sakurai's time, preventing him from doing other things (*ahem* Break the Targets). Probably creating custom moves for everyone. It's pretty obvious he started phoning in those custom moves pretty quick. :(

But still, I'm very much excited for the Wii U version of the game and am still enjoying the 3DS version.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not too certain I wanna spoil myself. I'd rather wait until the game comes out to see it for myself and for my family.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Not too certain I wanna spoil myself. I'd rather wait until the game comes out to see it for myself and for my family.
If you've seen the trailers then I'm afraid you've already spoiled yourself.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Ok really now, do we play Smash for the god damn intro.

Some of you guys just want something to ***** about.
If you are gonna ***** about the game why don't you ***** about the gameplay or something important.

Just saying.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

If you are gonna ***** about the game why don't you ***** about the gameplay or something important.

Just saying.
lol. Calm down. This is a thread about our opinions of the opening cinematic. Some people in this thread are taking the subject a little too seriously.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

Just saying.
I was just saying what I thought...

I'm satisfied enough with the gameplay to enjoy it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Just saying.
People are allowed to dislike things and be disappointed in them, as well as openly express said thoughts and feelings out in the open. Even about things you really like or don't care about.

There's literally nothing wrong with us being a little disappointed. Besides, most of us just said that it was boring or lackluster, but no one said it was outright terrible.

Also, believe it or not, there are those very few of us who do actually watch the opening more than just once or twice. Besides, we already know what the gameplay is like since we've played the 3DS version and it's going to be the same between the two of them. Any likes or dislikes anyone has about that have already been said, so it's time to move on to the other content of the game besides just the gameplay. Again, nothing wrong with that.

If you can understand any of that, calm down and quit being so pointlessly rude.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
This. Smash 4's opening was promising at first when they started showing the original cast's intros and what they do in their worlds, un-reused CGI and all except for a few, but after that, just random clips galore. Which makes me think, what happened to the actual CGI character intro's like link weilding his sword in the air and vilager getting his smash invitation? Would've been more fitting.

Also, I don't get a sense of closure or purpose with this opening unlike 64, Melee or even Brawl. With 64 and Melee, they show you that Master hand makes the world while pinning these toys forcefully which is why all these characters come full circle to stop him (also with a preview of pre Giga Bowser in melee's case). Brawl, despite it's opening being a bunch of clips too, at least shows that the Smash World is being eaten up by the SSE.

What's Smash 4 about? The visuals are impressive and it's a nice little opening but random clips of multiplayer and the classic gaming mascots tells me nothing.

So with that, imo I'll have to give Melee 1st, SSB64 2nd, Brawl 3rd, and Smash 4 4th.

Last edited:

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Intro is better than Brawls, but not as good as Melee's.

They honestly could have put more into it as well. A better rendition of the main theme specifically for the opening would've been astonishing.

The more I look at Melee's opening, the more I feel this is lazy.
Game gets over 10 reveal trailer, Melee gets 1 reveal Trailer, which is the Opening Trailer. But this is lazy compared to Melee? Seriously? What is this logic?

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
People are allowed to dislike things and be disappointed in them, as well as openly express said thoughts and feelings out in the open. Even about things you really like or don't care about.

There's literally nothing wrong with us being a little disappointed. Besides, most of us just said that it was boring or lackluster, but no one said it was outright terrible.

Also, believe it or not, there are those very few of us who do actually watch the opening more than just once or twice. Besides, we already know what the gameplay is like since we've played the 3DS version and it's going to be the same between the two of them. Any likes or dislikes anyone has about that have already been said, so it's time to move on to the other content of the game besides just the gameplay. Again, nothing wrong with that.

If you can understand any of that, calm down and quit being so pointlessly rude.
lol. Calm down. This is a thread about our opinions of the opening cinematic. Some people in this thread are taking the subject a little too seriously.
I was just saying what I thought...

I'm satisfied enough with the gameplay to enjoy it.

When did I say you guys had no right to an opinion, exactly. You guys are getting all riled up about an intro when really you should be complaining about things that are important.

Also I ain't mad, sometimes you gotta swear to get your point across.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Game gets over 10 reveal trailer, Melee gets 1 reveal Trailer, which is the Opening Trailer. But this is lazy compared to Melee? Seriously? What is this logic?
Those 10 videos don't matter. We're comparing openings, not amount of videos overall.

An intro opening that's it's own cinematic versus an intro opening that's mostly just scenes from other videos copied and pasted along it.

Clearly, the first one is much more impressive. Sure, it might have taken plenty of work to make the other videos, but those were their own separate videos. Taking those scenes and pasting them into a movie with some music playing over it is something any 12 year old could do on YouTube.

When did I say you guys had no right to an opinion, exactly. You guys are getting all riled up about an intro when really you should be complaining about things that are important.

That's solely your opinion. Every part of the game is important. Not just the gameplay. No one is "riled up".

And you never have to swear to get a point across since it certainly doesn't make you sound very smart. You seem more riled up than anyone else by doing so.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Melee's opening still reigns, mainly because of how awesome Melee's theme is. The Smash 4 opening isn't bad, they did a great job with the mash up of gameplay and CG trailer scenes, but gods the Smash 4 theme is SO bad, it kinds of ruins it a bit for me.
What's wrong with you? The Smash 4 theme beats both Melee and Brawl's by a long shot, it sounds epic and heroic

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

I feel like you're the one that's riled up here, man. There's no reason to complain about other things that are "important" in this thread because this thread is about people's opinions on the opening cinematic. So that's exactly what people are going to talk about in this thread.

Well, you never have to swear. And this isn't a very good place to do it, because it's going to get censored, anyway. You might as well just say what you have to say without swearing just so everyone can see what it is you're saying.

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
Melee intro>64 intro>Brawl intro>3DS intro>Wii U intro
I would take a badass per-rendered video over snippets of trailers and some useless in game footage. Doesn't help the music isn't that great. Even Brawl's SSE cut scenes were better.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Daily reminder that ere hasn't been an original opening to Smash since 64

So 64 will forever be the best. Because it's the only REAL opening that wasn't reused or meshed together

Melee had the E3 trailer and nostalgia holding it back
Brawl reused SSE clips
Wii U used all the trailers and is better with real time.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
NOSTALGIA BIAS APPROACHING!!!
That totally helps your argument.:glare:

I find it tiring when people likes an older thing better people would just go "NOSTALGIA BIAS" with little regard to reasoning.

What's wrong with you? The Smash 4 theme beats both Melee and Brawl's by a long shot, it sounds epic and heroic
As much as I love Smash Bros 4's theme, I don't see the problem with others not liking it. You should know better

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I'd call it lazy but they did make all of those trailers so...

Like I dunno Melee's is still leagues better than this, I'd probably put it on-par with the N64 one. And even though it's a clipfest like Brawl's, the video editing is better and the cutscenes/gameplay actually look nice so it's not that big of a deal. I will say though that the clips from the "stylized" trailers (Palutena's and Robin's/Lucina's) do look horribly out of place, although there aren't that many in there so it's not terrible.

Although if they can make a special cutscene for a one-off advertisement surely they could have for the game itself?

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'd call it lazy but they did make all of those trailers so...

Like I dunno Melee's is still leagues better than this, I'd probably put it on-par with the N64 one. And even though it's a clipfest like Brawl's, the video editing is better and the cutscenes/gameplay actually look nice so it's not that big of a deal.

Although if they can make a special cutscene for a one-off advertisement surely they could have for the game itself?
Pretty much my thoughts (well except it being on par with 64, I think that one might be my favorite or 2nd favorite).

It's disappointing but at least it flows much better than Brawl's, and it has a much better theme to boot, I never cared much for Brawl's theme. I always sort of found Brawl's theme kind of annoying.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Definitely could've done the opening much better, but at least it's better then brawls. Melee still reigns as the best!

Chrono.

I like it. The only off part to me is when they showed a snippet of the Palutena trailer. But the editing was pretty solid.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I think smash 4 has the worst theme out of the 4, it's no where near as epic as the last 3 (even the first one) and the variations of the theme sound way too similar to the original to where I get confused at which ones which, and sadly it's just as overused as brawls theme was.

I think melee was a little more subtle when it came to remixing it's theme for different events and stages in the game. I know this will sound stupid but I only recent noticed the menu theme 2 from melee was a remix of the main theme and the original menu theme.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Erryone just mad cause it uses cinematics that we've already seen.
I am disappoint as well.
Melee only had one cinematic, dis games got one for every new character!
I'm surprised the first trailer wasn't the opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

This opening also seems like a trailer because they mixed in actual gameplay shots.
Catchiest opening music tho.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I'm pretty disappointing in it.

1) The music doesn't sync up perfectly during several parts.
2) It is just all of the trailers cut and pasted together
3) none of the different clips transition very well
4) We don't get anything new out of it

5/10

Erryone just mad cause it uses cinematics that we've already seen.
I am disappoint as well.
Melee only had one cinematic, dis games got one for every new character!
I'm surprised the first trailer wasn't the opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU
Yeah the trailer we got would have made a better intro IMO.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Okay after rewatching it I am dissapointed,
transitions are totally absent and the announcer forgot to shout SUPER SMASH BROTHERS...
not to mention the clashing art styles.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Okay after rewatching it I am dissapointed,
transitions are totally absent and the announcer forgot to shout SUPER SMASH BROTHERS...
not to mention the clashing art styles.
The clashing art styles are horrible. It makes the opening look like a school assignment or something....

Last edited:
Top Bottom