• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Smash Bros. Wii U Opening Cinematic

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Eh I like it. The clips were edited together way better than Brawl's was. Palutena's anime bit looks way out of place though. :L the whole thing should've been anime style.
Overall it's nice. Not what I was expecting but it's not terrible.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I've watched the opening several times trying to like it, but I'm just not feeling the hype on this one. I'm not denying that the CGI clips from the trailers aren't still amazing, but when all of the CGI in this opening are clips from trailers that we've watched to pieces for months, a breath of fresh air via some new footage may not be expected, but it would be greatly appreciated, don't you think? Sure, "Why should they bother?" is a valid opinion in this case, but I also can't help but think, "Why not bother?" They decided to make new material for one of their commercials, why not show that same love to an opening sequence? I may be in the minority, but I honestly look forward to details like this in a new Smash Bros. game.

I know that an opening sequence shouldn't be the biggest of my worries for this game (I'm not canceling my pre-order or anything like that), but I still think it's still fair to have an opinion like this since we have been graced with awesome original openings for fighting games that you want to watch every time you start up a game. I especially think like this when I remember that Namco, a company that has made amazing intro videos for their fighting games (i.e. Soul Blade), helped develop this game. Even though they probably had no sway on the production of the trailers, I can't help but imagine on what could have been.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I'd have to go with the opinion of melee having the best opening, and the n64 having the second best. When it comes to this game, it has like 10 or so videos showing characters, so that itself sets the game apart.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Those 10 videos don't matter. We're comparing openings, not amount of videos overall.

An intro opening that's it's own cinematic versus an intro opening that's mostly just scenes from other videos copied and pasted along it.

Clearly, the first one is much more impressive. Sure, it might have taken plenty of work to make the other videos, but those were their own separate videos. Taking those scenes and pasting them into a movie with some music playing over it is something any 12 year old could do on YouTube.
It doesn't matter if the reveal trailers are their own thing. Calling them lazy for making over 10 reveal trailer instead of 1 opening is just dumb.

Strofirko

Smash Master
For a weird reason I liked the ending part where mario,link,olimar,pit,pikachu,villager and DK+Kirby were running towards the screen.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
In all seriousness, s4 would be better if we didn't see the reveal footage before hand. Melees had fresh cgi made solely for the opening. Having seen the reveals made smash 4s look fan made.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
That slo-mo of Pikachu diving in the beginning is mad adorable.

D

Deleted member

deleted account

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The menu music just lacks a certain epic feeling to it and doesn't sink all that well with the clips, which look to be in different styles especially the Captain Falcon and Lucina one.

Even in Brawl's opening the Subspace Emissary clips felt like a cohesive package and it felt great with Brawl's theme playing.

I don't see myself wanting to sit and watch this opening ever.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
ima wait for the game to release to wait to watch the intro...gotta save something for the games release!

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
We get the best CG trailers for Smash 4, so they use those for the intro and that's okay. It's nothing new to Smash.

It's a nice intro, but nothing epic. I really liked Brawl's intro.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I'm fine with them reusing character reveal clips for the opening, I just wished it matched the music better.

It's part of why Melee's opening is so strong. The music matched the clips.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's okay-ish. I would have preferred if they made something new, but considering all the amazing newcomer trailers we got, I'm satisfied with it.

the8thark

Smash Lord
- In Melee the cutscene told us you are toy figures brought to life to fight a giant hand.
- In Brawl the cutscene told introduced us to the SSE.
Both told us the rough story of each SSB game. But what about SSB4? It just shows off the characters and tells us nothing about the rough story/background to thew game. That's my biggest gripe here. The opening cutscene has a job, to tell us the story or point of playing the game. Melee and Brawl did that job but SSB4 failed at it but not telling us any story at all.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I actually love the intro but it's probably because I hold no nostalgia to Melee's and I haven't played it
- In Melee the cutscene told us you are toy figures brought to life to fight a giant hand.
- In Brawl the cutscene told introduced us to the SSE.
Both told us the rough story of each SSB game. But what about SSB4? It just shows off the characters and tells us nothing about the rough story/background to thew game. That's my biggest gripe here. The opening cutscene has a job, to tell us the story or point of playing the game. Melee and Brawl did that job but SSB4 failed at it but not telling us any story at all.
There's no story to this period. It's Smash Bros.
That and at this point, there isn't a story mode at all.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Personally I like this opening more than the others (don't hit me pls) because the theme is awesome (probably the best main theme of the serie) and I love the part with the third party characters. And I'm getting tired with all these comparisons with Melee and I'm gonna hate this game (melee) because of that! Melee (or SSB64) has unique CGI cutscenes but that doesn't mean it's an unique Opening, Brawl and SSB64 have also CGI, SSB4's Opening has less CGI part than the other opening and is more focused on in-game footage and THAT'S why I find this opening more unique than melee's opening. :)

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
I don't see whats so bad about it. I love Smash 4's theme (even though its plastered everywhere in game--remixes and all XD) and I like the CGI they used in the opening trailers. Sure its not as good as 64s or Melee's but this game (as a whole and in intro) trumps Brawl so I'll take it. Its not as memorable but its enjoyable.

Also, we could have had the 3ds's intro. Remember that intro? Yeah, exactly.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I actually love the intro but it's probably because I hold no nostalgia to Melee's and I haven't played it

There's no story to this period. It's Smash Bros.
That and at this point, there isn't a story mode at all.
Melee's story was based on classic mode which SSB4 has. It even has that new master hand core thing. Nintendo could have put a story in opening cutscene for SSB4. And I think they should have.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Don't even care about there being no new CGI footage, the graphics in the game are good enough for it to not matter, and the gameplay was really well choreographed. I love how Donkey Kong is carrying Kirby at the end. :3
Well I care, the big major part that is missing is story, a Smash Bros game without a story or even cutscenes just makes the game more like just an spin-offs rather a true series. I don't want just to see how the newcomers meet the veteran characters and beat them. I want to see how do the new characters interact with them. Gamesradar had even made a SSB weekly episode talking about this.

It's a trailer and gameplay clipshow, nothing more or less. Anyone with enough dedication could have gathered clips from YouTube and produced this themselves. I'm really only disappointed that we didn't get to hear the emcee yell the title when he was cool enough to narrate an entire Direct for us.

At least they did manage to sync the action in the video with the music, like at 0:53 for example.

Top Bottom