• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not sure I would count on their return anymore after what happened to Pokemon Trainer.
Ah-bu-bu, Remember that Rosaluma is in theis game. Plus the Polar bear appears in Smash Run.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, guess I either forgot about the polar bear's appearance or it slipped my notice with everything else I had been paying attention to in the direct. Nevermind my last post then.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
It's ironic this thread started questioning female character additions and now evolved to a pro-female discussion. :p

Seems to me like Sakurai noticed the lack of female cast and at some point could reveal Palutena and potentially another. I'd like Palutena's addition the best she's one of the better written Nintendo female characters and she really stands out among the cast.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Long as Jigglypuff gets cut, I think we are set.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The only thing I would get out of Jigglypuff's cut for the most part is laughing at the sacred almighty "original 12" clause.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Okay, now I can't deny being a bit peeved.

There's not exactly a confirmation over this, but the signs are certainly pointing this way... Sakurai/the developers will go out of their way to create a male alternate costume for the female Wii Fit Trainer, but they won't go out of their way to do the reverse for Villager.

That is what will peeve me. Hopefully the alternate female Villager is just yet to be revealed, but I'm really beginning to doubt it.

Now that Pokemon Trainer has most likely been eliminated this is what I'll be watching for.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And to think people where more than happy to keep the female Wii Fit Trainer without the Male counterpart....

I think there will be more alternate costumes that Sakurai hasn't announced yet after seeing Wire Frame Mac, so might want to hold out a bit in case there is a female alt for the Villager.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
And to think people where more than happy to keep the female Wii Fit Trainer without the Male counterpart....

I think there will be more alternate costumes that Sakurai hasn't announced yet after seeing Wire Frame Mac, so might want to hold out a bit in case there is a female alt for the Villager.
That and possibly Lucina over Marth and if Robin gets in a female and male version of her.

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
You don't get more important female characters without starting somewhere. Many people discovered Nintendo games because of Smash Bros. And while being important is great, it isn't the only thing that matters. I think we need more female characters. And I personally want them.

And K.Rool is definitely not more deserving of being in Smash Bros. than Dixie Kong. She's the star of two Donkey Kong Country games. And I think her moveset would have the potential to be a lot more interesting than K.Roll. How she uses her hair has always been one of the most interesting and fun ideas in platformers. And is one of the reasons that Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest is such a fun and loved platforming game. And would be really interesting to work with in Smash Bros. I think.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Yeh but do we really need another annoying monkey? Trippy, oops, Diddy Kong is enough.
Are you saying this because you assume that Dixie would play the same as Diddy? Or do you just not like monkeys? Because I'm not sure the first assumption is all that reasonable.

That said, I have to say I am super happy about the direction this thread has taken. Reading the start I was expecting to have to go into a huge rant about social norms, heteronormativity, and lack of diversity in games as well as entertainment media at large. And how games, their consumption and development do not occur in a vacuum and most certainly do inform peoples understanding of social norms. It appears to have taken a turn for the better, so I will just say that bolstering the female portion of the cast is a welcome change and moreover that diversity in general is just super important in... well everything really.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
What I think we might get: Palutena, Dixie Kong, female Villager, and a Lucina costume for Marth or Chrom. The later two I'm really crossing my fingers for.

What I think we might get in future games: Female Fire Emblem rep(s), female Kid Icarus rep(s) other than Palutena, female WarioWare rep, Kumatora, Lip, Isabelle... Am I forgetting anyone?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
What I think we might get: Palutena, Dixie Kong, female Villager, and a Lucina costume for Marth or Chrom. The later two I'm really crossing my fingers for.

What I think we might get in future games: Female Fire Emblem rep(s), female Kid Icarus rep(s) other than Palutena, female WarioWare rep, Kumatora, Lip, Isabelle... Am I forgetting anyone?
Krystal? There are others as well. I just posted in the Barbara the Bat thread. But then her chances are about as low as they get I would think.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Haha. I prefer Cooking Mama personally. ;)

Another super random female rep that I would love to see, but who would never happen is Marina Liteyear from Mischief Makers. Is she 2nd party? I'm not even sure.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Another super random female rep that I would love to see, but who would never happen is Marina Liteyear from Mischief Makers. Is she 2nd party? I'm not even sure.
I would kill for Cooking Mama, but isn't she third-party? Mischief Makers was published by Ninty, but only in the States and Europe.

More characters: Rhythm Girl (now that her series is relevant), Sami from Advance Wars, Starly from The Legendary Starfy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would love Marina, she's a pipe dream of mine... too bad she's third-party from a one-shot game over a decade old that only ever had lukewarm reception at best. Urg.

And Cooking Mama is also third-party.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Ah, I had mostly said Cooking Mama as a joke, but I hadn't realized she was 3rd party. And as for Marina, yeah she was never happening, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Mischeif Makers was made by Enix before Enix and Square Soft merged.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Please have a Style Savvy rep, Sakurai. It will attract more casual females to this game. DX
For some reason, when I think of "casual female gamers", I think of girls who play Kirby and Pokemon, instead of Metroid and Zelda.

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if a Style Savvy female character ended up as playable in the next game.
After Villager and WFT, I was half-expecting Volvoice and Dr. Lobe. And I would not have been disappointed. Hyped for Chorus Kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom