• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I just realized, Sakurai talked about some alternate costumes, such as little mac's wire outline thingy and WFT's male version...but I don't recall him even hinting at a female villager costume, which is odd since the animal crossing 's villager is an avatar of sorts and does not need to be male, it can be either, so why not mention the alternate gender?

seems a tad sexist to make a male counterpart for a female avatar and neglect to do the same for a male avatar. Not very sexist since it's probably not intentional, but still slightly.
If Villager's gonna have an alt. costume, it's gonna be the female. I'd say it's a shoo-in.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
If Villager's gonna have an alt. costume, it's gonna be the female. I'd say it's a shoo-in.
Yeah, for sure, female villager should be an alt, especially if male wft is an alt. I just find it odd that he didn't mention the alt and I'm not sure it'll even be in.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I just realized, Sakurai talked about some alternate costumes, such as little mac's wire outline thingy and WFT's male version...but I don't recall him even hinting at a female villager costume, which is odd since the animal crossing 's villager is an avatar of sorts and does not need to be male, it can be either, so why not mention the alternate gender?

seems a tad sexist to make a male counterpart for a female avatar and neglect to do the same for a male avatar. Not very sexist since it's probably not intentional, but still slightly.
Seems a tad racist that he made a wireframe for a fleshy, but not a fleshy for a wireframe

In all seriousness, it's silly to say that the game has a sexist design and not talk about Zamus because you assume that something that has yet to be unveiled must not exist.

Globe

I only care for waifus
Warning Received
What do you guys think?
~He can edit back a safe version in later - Shaya~

Last edited by a moderator:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I hope Charizard gets some speed and recovery buffs. Last time he was balanced with his smaller counterparts in mind - however now he fights alone. I mean, look how fast he is in the trailer - not to mention he can fly! Charizard is awesome, but the clunky, Brawl version didn't do him justice. Also, does anyone else think Rock Smash has been replaced with Flame Charge? In the trailer, he does it on the Galaxy stage.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
A Quote From Myself:
"Im betting on 4 vet reveals (the rest of the 64 cast), mewtwo, and a new character(shulk, chrom, takamaru, or ridley).

a release date, online features, cross compatability, and modes will be announced.

more items seen, new stage or two, some trophy\pokeball stuff, stage footage

Gameplay footage and a cliff hanger teaser!

Perfect direct!!!"

Meh I was pretty close. Negatives on specifics but very close if not mostly spot on in general. I give myself a B+

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Brilliant Direct, people that are disappointed with it need a word with themselves. No way could I have fathomed so much information in 40 minutes.

I'm a Ridley supporter and I admit it doesn't look good, but Sakurai would have surely confirmed he's not playable clearer than that. It doesn't look good but I haven't given up on hope yet, even though I'm more towards he's not going to make it camp.

Greninja is a peculiar choice but I love his reveal conceptually. Instead of announcing a 'big gun' he went with a bit of a unexpected choice. He also looks pretty fun to use and I don't think he's harming Jigglypuff and Mewtwo's chances of returning. We had 6 playable Pokémon in Brawl and logically we should have the same number, if not potentially more in this version. It doesn't look too good for Pichu, but you never know...

Some of the veterans got a needed revamp and that's good news for Ganondorf and potentially Falco/Wolf and Ness/Lucas (or all four). Kirby's new final smash looks sick and I adore the Phantom idea for Zelda. Sheik having a grenade is a bit weird but it fits the ninja aspect of the character so no complaints there.

The new online mode is fantastic, having a hidden matchmaking system in place makes up for the lack of 'voting for the rules' With Anyone. Loved the little nod at 'FD-only' gag and the stage itself is deliciously glorious to look at. All the stages having a FD-form is a decent treat to the competitive crowd. I'm pleased that Sakurai gave them some love for a change.

Jungle Japes being revealed hypes me up for some retro stages beyond Brawl. Maybe 64 will finally get some love!

Well played Sakurai. Showed us plenty of content, was in a playful mood and still had to nerve to potentially tease the Smash community a little bit. It was worth the hype and I thank the man for giving us so many new information!

Globe

I only care for waifus
Last post before heading off to bed. (what a great day)

Next smash is going to great reaction faces.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Whenever Iwata says "Direct" in the Nintendo directs, he makes this pose.

So Sakurai is following suit, as he did this whenever he said "director". Probably making fun of Iwata :p
It seemed to me he was fighting the urge to say "directly" haha so yeah, poking fun at Iwata
I don't think Ridley is in the game... Wouldn't make sense to have 2 Ridleys on one stage.
Well, if you think about it they could be separate Ridleys since that dude comes back more than uhhh something

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So I'm not that familiar with the newest Pokemon gen, but was Greninja a pretty clear frontrunner from it? Sakurai's always added a Pokemon from the newest generation(Pichu, Lucario) so I figured one from Gen 6 was likely, I just didn't know who.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
Seems a tad racist that he made a wireframe for a fleshy, but not a fleshy for a wireframe

In all seriousness, it's silly to say that the game has a sexist design and not talk about Zamus because you assume that something that has yet to be unveiled must not exist.
I didn't think Zero suit samus needed pointing out.

and I don't think it must not exist, just find it odd that it wasn't mentioned when wft's alt was. You're right though, I did sort of base my statement on the premise that it wasn't there, that's my fault, instead just take my previous statement to be more of a hypothetical speculation.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think about that Balloon fight stage on 3DS? Awfully suspicious if you ask me... Might we be getting a certain balloon-using retro character?:smirk: (Sakurai, you, my good man, are the king of all trolls!:troll:

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai was crying about Subspace, but we'll know most of the secrets about the Wii U version since the 3ds one comes out first. Yeah, some things are different, but overall we will still know mostly about the wii u version. smh. So glad Mii's chances are ruined and I swear Sakurai better ****ing bring Jigglypuff and Mewtwo back. In reality, the only Pokemon reps. needed are Pikachu and Jigglypuff (ORIGINAL)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Holy sh#@, that montage of assist trophies had me on the edge. I kept praying that none of the characters I want would be reduced to assists. Poor Saki, maybe next game...

How many of yall picked up on Sakurai's sarcasm in the yoshi reveal? I was smilin so hard at his lame excuse for saving his reveal til today.

I feel that the pseudo palutena joke trophy pretty much confirms the legit Palutena as a playable character. Would be nice to have a female rep who wasn't a blond.

I was kinda surprised that Shiek wasn't replaced with Impa, although at this point Shiek has become more of a character that exists solely within the smash universe than the shiek from ocarina of time. Its kinda the same with characters like Jigglypuff, non-main/playable characters in their own game. Its just strange to include a character whose only appearance is during brief scenes in one zelda game.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Obviously unhappy my prediction was wrong, but something worse happened.

Pretty much all the newcomers I wanted except Isaac, K Rool and Marshal are disconfirmed.

On the upside everything looks AWESOME

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Crap, so many posts to catch up on! XD

My preliminary comments about the Super Smash Bros. 4 Nintendo Direct of April 8th, 2014:

Despite Reggie's mindset, I thought my body was ready...I was woefully wrong...so very wrong.. :colorful: I tried to secure my wrist straps to safely contain hype, but that was to no avail, it seems! :bluejump:
ROFL at all the trolling in that video, especially with Zero Suit Samus and the Ridley silhouette - I nearly cried! And arguably Greninja at the end, which apparently people (including myself) thought was Mewtwo at first... (All the angles made me think "MEWTWO?!" and "MEGA MEWTWO?!" I was like "OMG Shadow Ball?!?!? Wait...that kind of looks Aura-Sphere-ish..? HUH?!" Something about the "spherical attack" just felt off).
But wow...just WOW! Although there some minor things I disliked (which I hope to elaborate later), that video exceeded my expectations. Final Destination (I was hoping it would be hidden until release day, but oh well) was just amazing, and here I thought that Brawl's Final Destination design couldn't be topped. And the music..that awe-inspiring music...I felt thunder-struck by the sheer gorgeousness of all of the sounds that graced my ears. And each Super Smash Bros. game - 64, Melee, and Brawl - got a musical shout-out! After arguably being musically neglected (with just one remix of the "SSB64 Credits Theme") in Brawl, the SSB64 remixes/medley arrangement near the end was just bliss.. :3

I think the major "game-changers" to take from the video were the long-awaited "custom move-sets", Final Destination-esque versions for a multitude of stages, Greninja himself, and DAT MUSIC! I'll add lengthened remarks later, but I'm so glad I got to experience that wonderment live.. Truly a memorable occasion! And that double reveal of veteran Charizard and newcomer Greninja (who I personally call Frogue, but whatever) was just boss.

Oops; I'll have to watch the Yoshi part again, because my live-stream decided to conk out at that specific moment. >_>
SSB4 just gets more and more outstanding...I mean, who could pass up the opportunity to play as MARIO VS SONIC VS MEGAMAN VS AWESOME WATER-NINJA GRENINJA ON TOP OF THE EIFFEL TOWER WITH EPIC BACKGROUND ORCHESTRATION?

On another note, despite the awesomeness that was exuded, the Assist Trophy segment and the Poké Ball Pokémon segment were quite sad/painful to watch, for the reason that amidst all of the awesomeness within the presentation, you have DISCONFIRMATION-O-RAMA not just once, but x2! :(

Oh, also, clever foreshadowing by Masahiro Sakurai with the use of Substitute in the chair prior to Greninja's actual reveal (who utilizes a Pokemon Substitute in one of his moves (as someone noted on Reddit)!

And major props to Krispness on Reddit, who made this bold prediction prior to the Nintendo Direct:
Hope for Greninja/Charizard/mewtwo and final destination
Also, pulling these from the Super Smash Bros. sub-Reddit; loving the comments on there: :joyful:

My Reaction When It Looked Like Mewtwo Was Gonna Be Announced:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22k37d/mrw_it_looked_like_mewtwo_was_gonna_be_announced/

What We (Or At Least Some Of Us) Were Thinking:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22kas3/what_we_were_all_thinking

On a side-note, this has been a strange day for me...I had 3 tests (2 Microbiology ones of which I anticipated, with the third being a math pop quiz) on the day of this highly-anticipated Nintendo Direct.. I should be frazzled mentally, but the Nintendo Direct's awesomeness just seems to overshadow any other dampening thing.. XD

EDIT: And I finally watched the "Yoshi" segment where the "Pseudo-Palutena" Trophy appeared... Just WOW. As a Redditor said, Sakurai needs his own tier of trolling at this point. XD (And Pseudo-Palutena seriously creeped me out, I mean..GAH! :eek: I felt like I was watching one of those innumerable "fake" Super Smash Bros. videos on YouTube!)

EDIT 2: Another side-note, those numerous "Trophy Quizzes" made me feel like I was watching a Japanese game show.. XD I think I got at least one right, and I guessed that one of them was Metroid-themed thanks to the awesome "Vs. Ridley" musical cue..

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Summer 2014 actually could mean that 3DS version will be out in August. That's technically the last month of Summer for the media industry, etc.

So really if you think about it there could be only a few months difference in release between the two versions. I'd be willing to bet this is the case.

Last edited:

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Holy sh#@, that montage of assist trophies had me on the edge. I kept praying that none of the characters I want would be reduced to assists. Poor Saki, maybe next game...

How many of yall picked up on Sakurai's sarcasm in the yoshi reveal? I was smilin so hard at his lame excuse for saving his reveal til today.

I feel that the pseudo palutena joke trophy pretty much confirms the legit Palutena as a playable character. Would be nice to have a female rep who wasn't a blond.
**** Saki. Isaac all day boi! I'm going to get so mad if Isaac is not in, even when he wasn't revealed today.

xelasseh

Smash Apprentice
This was the best news to come home to. My most wanted newcomer, who I thought didn't have a chance in hell, made the cut. That's why I always lower my expectations, it always ends up better in this end with something like this.

Thank you Based Sakurai.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
I think things would have been a lot more satisfying if he scheduled a separate direct for each version of the game. Today should of been 30 minutes dedicated solely to the Wii U version, while tomorrow could have been dedicated solely to the 3ds version.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
For the music-lovers out there, it would be great if we could begin to compile a list of all of the music tracks featured in the 04/08/2014 Nintendo Direct presentation.. I'm gonna try to possibly get started if I get a chance, but there were a lot of music tracks utilized (appropriately so)! All I know is that I heard something (whether the original track or a remix/arrangement) from every single Super Smash Bros. game as well as likely boatloads of other games (such as Pokemon X and Y music when Charizard showed up); thanks to the developers for giving the SSB64 music lots of love! <3 Much appreciated in advance!

And for the GIF makers out there, it would be great if we could get GIFs for...like everything XD. (primarily the Greninja segment, although I have a feeling that someone's doing that already...) XD

Last edited:

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I didn't think Zero suit samus needed pointing out.

and I don't think it must not exist, just find it odd that it wasn't mentioned when wft's alt was. You're right though, I did sort of base my statement on the premise that it wasn't there, that's my fault, instead just take my previous statement to be more of a hypothetical speculation.
I agree with you though. Female Villager makes total sense and is only fair, and if it is such an obvious addition, why not showcase it along with the other newcomer alts? Thought that was weird, really want to see a cone-headed little girl scurrying around beating Bowser and Mario with axes and shovels.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed that Waluigi is now a Wario character randomly (has the w sign), as opposed to Brawl where he was a Mario character. Not very important, I know, but still weird. I guess he'll be a Wario series contender in future installments.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
well one things for sure, we should know the entire roster by the end of summer. And all the big guns have to be at E3
That's what I think too. Sakurai might be saving some epic news for E3. Oh well, that's only 2 months away! The gap we had between LM and this Direct. We can do it.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
At least he doesn't have to use POTD's to show the newcomers final smashes or some of their certain moves, since a lot of it was explained in the direct. But Sakurai is sometimes a troll and will throw a useless picture, showing us stuff we already knew. I have to say that videos are much more efficient in explaining characters and items, than the POTDs

D

Deleted member

So I'm not that familiar with the newest Pokemon gen, but was Greninja a pretty clear frontrunner from it? Sakurai's always added a Pokemon from the newest generation(Pichu, Lucario) so I figured one from Gen 6 was likely, I just didn't know who.
As far as I know, he's the most popular Gen VI starter and one of the more popular gen VI mons overall. I wouldn't really say he was the frontrunner, but he was certainly a contender when it comes down to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
I came home from work at 10:30 P.M., washed my hands, changed clothes, PUT ON SOLID SNAKE'S HEADBAND, ate a banana, and watched the direct. I'm kind of disappointed about no Snake, but Sheik returning owns! She was my co-main with Snake.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Ridley's on life support, not dead imo. My heart stopped, though. And I'm not even a huge Metroid fan.

So happy that K.Rool's chances are looking better. He's my most wanted (realistic) newcomer.

That Chain Chomp AT floored me, it made me laugh.:joyful:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wow I convinced that sakurai makes crappy decisions

1) lets make the most highly demanded character in the west a boss makes sense

2) 3ds first? the wii u sales will be screwed

3) starting to hate the 3ds it's no longer a disc if the 3ds held wii u back, hint it did

4) instead of highly demanded characters we get 2x zelda, 2x links, 2x samus

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Looks like third party items are a thing now:

wow I convinced that sakurai makes crappy decisions

1) lets make the most highly demanded character in the west a boss makes sense

2) 3ds first? the wii u sales will be screwed

3) starting to hate the 3ds it's no longer a disc if the 3ds held wii u back, hint it did

4) instead of highly demanded characters we get 2x zelda, 2x links, 2x samus
Are you really going to do this on two separate forums?

DragonRob20

Smash Apprentice
How about those Assist Trophies!!! Anybody else hype for Pong??

Also on the real deal anyone notice they didnt show Isaac during that Assist Trophy montage? Yeah they didnt show a lot of the other assist but that stood out to me a lot. All I am saying, if Lil Mac can be promoted from AT to playable, why not Isaac?

Top Bottom