• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Really liked the direct. Only a few things I didn't like but I loved most of it.

Don't like:
-that the 3ds version will be out sooner, but that's only cause I want the Wii U version more. Also kinda weird, I just assumed Wii U version would be released first so the 3DS version wouldn't eat up all its sales.
-I would rather have leaderboards based on battles and not single player scores, but whatever.
-For Glory mode, despite it's great name, sounds like a big misunderstanding/easy "fix" on the dev teams part. This might not be an issue if 1v1 balance is just designed entirely around Final Destination, but I doubt that's happening. Also what does this mean for characters like Ice Climbers who will have a large advantage on a stage like that? Will they just dominate or will they be cut/heavily revamped.
-Sonic looks the same as Brawl. Homing attack still can't hit to save his life and he still has the side-b which is almost identical to his down-b :/ I was hoping they would have changed him but oh well.

Did like:
-Skins for Final Destination. Stage skins like this is something I've wanted for a while. It's always annoying when theres a stage you like but you can't play on it seriously or theres music on an annoying stage I never want to play on. I just wish they also did stuff like this for battlefield.
-No more transforming characters. This is really only cause I hate playing as Zero Suit in Brawl, so now I don't have to when final smashes are on.
-City Trial Smash Run looks super fun and silly. Can't wait to try that out.
-Summer release for 3DS means we'll know the full roster soon enough.
-Greninja was unexpected and looks freaking badass.
-Customizable moves look like a ton of fun.
-Pit's upgrades look fun, especially his new final smash, and his new animations give him a lot of extra character.
-Pit's final smash not being Palutena's Army and the huge trophy tease from Sakurai give me hope for Palutena.
-All the new items and assists look really cool.
-Mega Man's final smash made my jaw drop.
-My music is back.
-Halberd is back.
-Rocketbarrel remix <3

Also, just some random stuff I noticed from combing through the direct. A lot of it has probably been said already but that's a lot to read through soooo:
-Dedede has a new bair. He just swings his hammer behind him, kinda like what Marth does.
-Marth's shield breaker has a new sound effect.
-You can grab the ledge facing backwards.
-DK has a somersault and the later part of his Up-b doesnt seem to inflict hitstun. Theres a point he attacks Mega Man with it and Mega Man just walks through unfazed.
-Super Scope, Mini Mushroom(maybe), pitfalls and Blue Shell confirmed for anyone who happened to miss them.
-Bowser gains much more air when he uses Up-B. Maybe this is a customization.
-Bowser's f-tilt cause luigi to trip. Don't think it used to do that.
-There is now an animation for running off ledges.
-Swimming seems to be gone.

This game can't come soon enough.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
wow I convinced that sakurai makes crappy decisions

1) lets make the most highly demanded character in the west a boss makes sense

2) 3ds first? the wii u sales will be screwed

3) starting to hate the 3ds it's no longer a disc if the 3ds held wii u back, hint it did

4) instead of highly demanded characters we get 2x zelda, 2x links, 2x samus
Ridley just would not really work...
I agree, they should have been released at the same time or at least have Wii U before 3ds
aaaand zelda/shiek, and samus/ ZSS are nothing alike at all respectively, even Link/ toon link are very different and only share similar moves and name but have a completely different play style and feel

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I just looked at my twitter, and thought it was really cool to see a tweet from the Starcraft 2 caster in Korea named Wolf. He just said something small about seeing the Nintendo Direct and was excited, and Prog replied to him. As a fan of both Smash and Starcraft, this was extremely cool for me to see.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Such mixed feelings about this direct. It was a glorious waterfall of info, but somehow I felt unsatisfied after watching it. Can't lay a finger on why that is though, just a weird feeling, especially since it actually was great direct. Some things that stood out to me.

Releasedates. Well, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I always felt that it made so much more sense to release the WiiU version first, I never really considered getting the 3ds version first. Of course if they can finish the 3ds version way earlier and then pack the WiiU version to the brink I'm all for it. At least we can play Smash4 till Smash4 comes out, lol.

Ridley. I don't feel like the Ridley thing was a troll. He said that other stages will have stage bosses as well, then he showed Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere. That ain't trolling imo, that's just a straight confirm that Ridley is the stage hazard. The only reason I think Ridley can still be playable is because there are multiple versions of Ridley, so that there is a version of Ridley as a stage hazard doesn't really de-confirm him. The fact they only showed a shadow only tells me that the specific version they used for the stage hazard Ridley is so specific that it might have been a too obvious tell to another Ridley being in. This Ridley is definitely a stage hazard though, no doubt about it.

No transformations. I'm very happy with this change. Of course this change was probably made to help the 3ds performance, but the transformation times always bothered me to no end. From a gameplay perspective I always hated the possibility to just swap characters mid-match and from a technical level I hated that the game had to load in a different character each time someone switched. Good riddance I say.

Pokemon. As a supporter of having Mewtwo back it's kinda hard to get excited over Greninja as it just slims Mewtwo's chances. That said, I always knew Gamefreak was gonna demand a last gens pkmn into this game so I can only be happy it's Greninja because it's definitely the coolest pkmn they could've chosen from this gen. I really dig the whole Strider thing he has going on in his moves. Plus he has a scarf, characters with scarf are cool by default. Also glad that Charizard goes solo this time around. The movesets of Squirtle and Ivysaur always struck me as uninspired so I don't mind their loss. Charizard also looks like he got some cooler stuff this time around so that's nice as well. I already explained what my thoughts are on transformations, so you might understand I'm very pleased the forced swapping gimmick is gone from Charizard. Kinda sad for the loss of Ivysaur since I do like the pkmn, but I feel like this smash is gonna be better thanks to that loss so I ain't complaining.

Items, AT's, Pokeball. They really have gone all out with this. So much stuff to play with, non competitive smash is gonna be more fun then ever. Great that they implemented the Masterball, let the legendary battles commence. Also thank god they didn't show Isaac or Shulk here as one of the AT's. They could've gone out of their way and destroys tons of dreams with those AT's so I'm happy they didn't (yet). Favourite AT for me is Dark Samus, I always thought she would make for an excellent non-clone character so seeing her being unique as an AT pleases me.

Zero Suit Samus. I gotta say, that redesign looks so effing cool. Brawl's ZZS always had a very-generic-blond-girl-in-spandex thing going on which just didn't seem to have any personality. This one however looks hella cool. The design on her suit looks great, her moves look really cool and her face seems to have a very nice anime look. A character I kinda ignored all this time is definitely on my to-play list. Props to the design team of her.

Smash run. I thought it looked very cool for a singleplayer mode, so I was kinda disappointed it was just gonna be another multiplayer mode. The idea seems fun though. I hope you can play that against AI as well cause I ain't planning on going to people to play and it doesn't seem you can play it online. Even sadder to look back on brawl now, this mode already looked way cooler than SSE just because most of the enemies weren't generic.

Online. Well, it looked like they separated the different playstyles well so that's good. Though I have to say it still seems awfully barebones for an online game. Oh well, as long as the netcode is gonna be good this time around, I won't be complaining. The all stages FD idea for the all glory mode is pretty cool, though I wish they made a Battlefield version of all stages as well for that mode, it just doesn't seem balanced enough to just have FD for you're competitive online mode. I'm hoping they might rethink that.

I can't think of anything else that stood out atm, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing, even if I haven't seen anything yet I was hoping for.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Looks like Palutena's Temple is the new Hyrule Temple/New Pork City.

And is the Drill item from Super Mario galaxy? Or Drill Dozer?

Loving the Galaga item as well.

-----

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Looks like Palutena's Temple is the new Hyrule Temple/New Pork City.
The one thing I hated about New Pork City is how abstract and disjointed the layout was. I'm getting the same vibe from this stage, which isn't a good thing. Might be the one stage I end up using the plain mode more than the regular one.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Such mixed feelings about this direct. It was a glorious waterfall of info, but somehow I felt unsatisfied after watching it. Can't lay a finger on why that is though, just a weird feeling, especially since it actually was great direct. Some things that stood out to me.

Releasedates. Well, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I always felt that it made so much more sense to release the WiiU version first, I never really considered getting the 3ds version first. Of course if they can finish the 3ds version way earlier and then pack the WiiU version to the brink I'm all for it. At least we can play Smash4 till Smash4 comes out, lol.

Ridley. I don't feel like the Ridley thing was a troll. He said that other stages will have stage bosses as well, then he showed Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere. That ain't trolling imo, that's just a straight confirm that Ridley is the stage hazard. The only reason I think Ridley can still be playable is because there are multiple versions of Ridley, so that there is a version of Ridley as a stage hazard doesn't really de-confirm him. The fact they only showed a shadow only tells me that the specific version they used for the stage hazard Ridley is so specific that it might have been a too obvious tell to another Ridley being in. This Ridley is definitely a stage hazard though, no doubt about it.

No transformations. I'm very happy with this change. Of course this change was probably made to help the 3ds performance, but the transformation times always bothered me to no end. From a gameplay perspective I always hated the possibility to just swap characters mid-match and from a technical level I hated that the game had to load in a different character each time someone switched. Good riddance I say.

Pokemon. As a supporter of having Mewtwo back it's kinda hard to get excited over Greninja as it just slims Mewtwo's chances. That said, I always knew Gamefreak was gonna demand a last gens pkmn into this game so I can only be happy it's Greninja because it's definitely the coolest pkmn they could've chosen from this gen. I really dig the whole Strider thing he has going on in his moves. Plus he has a scarf, characters with scarf are cool by default. Also glad that Charizard goes solo this time around. The movesets of Squirtle and Ivysaur always struck me as uninspired so I don't mind their loss. Charizard also looks like he got some cooler stuff this time around so that's nice as well. I already explained what my thoughts are on transformations, so you might understand I'm very pleased the forced swapping gimmick is gone from Charizard. Kinda sad for the loss of Ivysaur since I do like the pkmn, but I feel like this smash is gonna be better thanks to that loss so I ain't complaining.

Items, AT's, Pokeball. They really have gone all out with this. So much stuff to play with, non competitive smash is gonna be more fun then ever. Great that they implemented the Masterball, let the legendary battles commence. Also thank god they didn't show Isaac or Shulk here as one of the AT's. They could've gone out of their way and destroys tons of dreams with those AT's so I'm happy they didn't (yet). Favourite AT for me is Dark Samus, I always thought she would make for an excellent non-clone character so seeing her being unique as an AT pleases me.

Zero Suit Samus. I gotta say, that redesign looks so effing cool. Brawl's ZZS always had a very-generic-blond-girl-in-spandex thing going on which just didn't seem to have any personality. This one however looks hella cool. The design on her suit looks great, her moves look really cool and her face seems to have a very nice anime look. A character I kinda ignored all this time is definitely on my to-play list. Props to the design team of her.

Smash run. I thought it looked very cool for a singleplayer mode, so I was kinda disappointed it was just gonna be another multiplayer mode. The idea seems fun though. I hope you can play that against AI as well cause I ain't planning on going to people to play and it doesn't seem you can play it online. Even sadder to look back on brawl now, this mode already looked way cooler than SSE just because most of the enemies weren't generic.

Online. Well, it looked like they separated the different playstyles well so that's good. Though I have to say it still seems awfully barebones for an online game. Oh well, as long as the netcode is gonna be good this time around, I won't be complaining. The all stages FD idea for the all glory mode is pretty cool, though I wish they made a Battlefield version of all stages as well for that mode, it just doesn't seem balanced enough to just have FD for you're competitive online mode. I'm hoping they might rethink that.

I can't think of anything else that stood out atm, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing, even if I haven't seen anything yet I was hoping for.
The more i think about it the more I think Ridley is gonna be playable and stage hazard will be Meta Ridley or something (or will switch to Alfonso when Ridley joins the battle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=7m20s

Look at that wing. It's grey, not purple like Ridley usually is.

Like, with Waluigi, Sheik, Zero Suit, etc. Sakurai is very clear that he knows people wants them and then comes right out and confirms or deconfirms.

With Ridley, he was like a certain character will be a boss and stage hazard, rather than saying i know you want him to be playable but hes a boss! Or whatever.

I think he's just going for the long con.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
How safe is it to assume that all the pokemon from the Greninja trailer are pokeball pokemon, cause if they are theres a few new and returning ones confirmed right there.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I don't know about you, but the Ridley shadow did not move like a stage hazard... Seriously, have you seen the boss and stage hazard animations in Brawl? They move so fluidly...

This one moved like it was being controlled by a player. And this is coming from someone who's neutral on Ridley's inclusion.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Well that was a trip:
The good!
-MEGA MAN'S FS HOLY CRAP
-The extensive look at online/newcomers/veterens
-I really like the split off of the transformations
-I love all the new items/ATs/Pokeballs
-Andy was not shown as an AT
-Greninja looks hype as all get out and I was not expecting him at ALL
-YOSHI YAY
-Smash Run: the closest to Kirby Air Ride 2 we'll ever get.
-I'LL BE PLAYING THIS GAME THIS SUMMER HOLY CRAP

The bad
-I don't care much for Ridley, but that was a rough patch right
-SOOOOOO many deconfirms. They were bound to happen but I never expected so many.
-The Final Destination thing is a cool idea, but I'd rather just be able to shut off hazards. Neutral platform stages are fun!
-While I like Greninja, I feel he was better suited for a pleasant surprise as a hidden character
-If Rosie is not completely busted as all hell I'll will be quite shocked. She controls all that space AND has an anti-projectile? Not to mention her Luma can tank hits for her. I'd like to know what her weakness is please!
-Splitting the transforms was a good thing imo, but if I had to guess Ivy and Squirtle ain't coming back. I'm gonna miss Ivy...
-I WON'T BE PLAYING THIS GAME IN HD UNTIL WINTER HOLY CRAP.

Despite the similar list length though I'm very satisfied with all of this tasty new info. Heres to the coming months!

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

FD is absolutely stunning this time around!

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Hm. I also noticed that Pilotwings got an item, ALSO with a Pilotwings Symbol (unlike Saki and Mr. Wright who has a smash symbol). Along with having the stage, perhaps a Pilotwings character is a possibility.

Then again, Nintendogs has an icon lol

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The more i think about it the more I think Ridley is gonna be playable and stage hazard will be Meta Ridley or something (or will switch to Alfonso when Ridley joins the battle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=7m20s

Look at that wing. It's grey, not purple like Ridley usually is.

Like, with Waluigi, Sheik, Zero Suit, etc. Sakurai is very clear that he knows people wants them and then comes right out and confirms or deconfirms.

With Ridley, he was like a certain character will be a boss and stage hazard, rather than saying i know you want him to be playable but hes a boss! Or whatever.

I think he's just going for the long con.
That wasn't Ridley's wing. It was the end of his tail.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
For the music-lovers out there, it would be great if we could begin to compile a list of all of the music tracks featured in the 04/08/2014 Nintendo Direct presentation.. I'm gonna try to possibly get started if I get a chance, but there were a lot of music tracks utilized (appropriately so)! All I know is that I heard something (whether the original track or a remix/arrangement) from every single Super Smash Bros. game as well as likely boatloads of other games (such as Pokemon X and Y music when Charizard showed up); thanks to the developers for giving the SSB64 music lots of love! <3 Much appreciated in advance!

And for the GIF makers out there, it would be great if we could get GIFs for...like everything XD. (primarily the Greninja segment, although I have a feeling that someone's doing that already...) XD
there, I did like, half of it

0:00 - 0:30 Super Smash Bros. 4 Theme
1:55 - 2:28 Super Smash Bros. Melee - Menu 2
2:31 - 3:08 Super Smash Bros. Melee - How to Play
3:09 - 3:49 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Battlefield Ver. 2
3:55 - 4:23 Kid Icarus: Uprising - Dark Pit's Theme
4:24 - 4:56 Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Daytime Minigame (Arrangement)
4:57 - 4:25 Super Mario Galaxy - ?
4:26 - 6:09 Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess (Arrangement)
6:10 - 7:28 Mega Man ? - ?
7:32 - 7:36 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Boss Battle
7:37 - 4:40 Fire Emblem: Awakening - Id (Purpose)
4:40 - 4:47 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Victory Theme (Marth, Ike)
7:56 - 8:36 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Menu Theme
8:37 - 9:45 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Boss Battle (again)
9:52 - 10:05 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Melee Opening
10:26 - 10:41 Super Smash Bros. 4 Theme
12:13 - 12:58 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Waiting Room
13:05 - 14:04 Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze - Rocket Barrel Theme
14:08 - 14:11 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Boss Battle (again)
14:12 - 14:16 Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess (Original)
14:17 - 14:24 Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Victory Theme (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link)
14:38 - 15:44 Star Fox ? - ?
16:21 - 17:19 Super Smash Bros. Melee - Pokemon Stadium
17:33 - 18:01 Metroid ? - ?
18:16 - 18:44 Metroid - Super Metroid Theme
18:45 - 19:18 Zelda's Lullaby (Arrangement)
19:19 - 19:44 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley
19:45 - Kirby - ?

Mentioned:
Ballad of the Goddess (Arrangement) (4:26 - 6:09)
Ballad of the Goddess (Original)
Main Theme (Arrangement)
Ocarina of Time Medley (Arrangement)
Saria's Song (Arrangement)

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I don't know about you, but the Ridley shadow did not move like a stage hazard... Seriously, have you seen the boss and stage hazard animations in Brawl? They move so fluidly...

This one moved like it was being controlled by a player. And this is coming from someone who's neutral on Ridley's inclusion.
The animation looked rigid. Brawl's was absolutely beautiful, for both times you fight him.

But we didn't see the character model, just the shadow, which could mean his implementation isn't yet complete. Perhaps another reason we haven't seen or heard about Ridley is because his inclusion was up in the air, and they didn't get him where they wanted him... so Sakurai stage hazard'd him.

All in due time I suppose. But my hopes are as good as squashed.

I still think if he isn't playable, it's very nice that he'll be screwing with us on a very cool looking stage (or is it a hot looking stage? har har har)

edit: they also could have made his movement more deliberate for the sake of the trailer, so we got a nice good clear look at the shadow. And he's showing the shadow to ease the pain in on us...

Last edited:

liLZoOlu

Smash Rookie
For online, all I want is leaderboards. Rankings would be cool. It gives the game more replay value. And for crying out loud, AMAZING NET CODE. Lag breaks any online game, especially fighters (injustice smh). So please make the online as fluid as possible.

The game looks more combo oriented than before. I like it, but I hate when combos are too long.

One thing I really want to know is what are we gonna call this game? Super Smash Bros Wii U? Think we need an official title

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
For online, all I want is leaderboards. Rankings would be cool. It gives the game more replay value. And for crying out loud, AMAZING NET CODE. Lag breaks any online game, especially fighters (injustice smh). So please make the online as fluid as possible.

The game looks more combo oriented than before. I like it, but I hate when combos are too long.

One thing I really want to know is what are we gonna call this game? Super Smash Bros Wii U? Think we need an official title
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS is the official title, but I'm just going to call it Smash 4.

Top Bottom