• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Announcements Galore! Watch Here

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It's not that they couldn't give him a personality, I'm just assuming it would be weird giving Ridley human qualities or at least harder to make it not weird because of the way he's portrayed in the Metroid games. I'm sure if they made Ridley too different from the Metroid games there would be complaints, so perhaps they know this and are trying to avoid it? The reason they could give characters with no personality such as ROB or G&W a personality is because they were pretty much blank slates to begin with, so no one would complain that them having human qualities changes them for the worse.
I can agree with everything you're saying except that they wouldn't be able to apply personality to Ridley. I do think that if they did anything wrong it would cause a lot of complaints, especially since so much hype has been developed. But I think they would execute Ridley in the same manner that they did Mewtwo. He didn't really have any personality. He was just mean and evil or something. Dark. Rough around the edges. You fee me, bro.
The only time they gave Ridley a personality was in the Metroid manga. I didn't really see too much of it in the games he was in. It's always "RAWR! ME SMASH SAMUS!" (maybe except for Other M, but to be fair it didn't knew better until it went back to that thought process).
I could see that. I think in the entirety of it all many video games don't give the antagonist enough room to develop a character unless they force feed it to you right away (Ghirahim / Dedede / every red-suited character in Fire Emblem's history) or said antagonist pretends to be a friend for a large portion of the game. It would be a challenge, but I do think it would be possible to give Ridley enough character to make him "viable" for smash.

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
Mewtwo fanboys are going CRAAAAAZZYY!

I hope they make Bayonetta DLC someday, but I doubt it.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Starting with the DLC already...like I love Mewtwo and all but this is a giant shot in the face to those without the 3DS version...before the Full game even comes out like c'mon.

If it was a matter of time (which it shouldn't be) he should've had it as a day 1 Patch.

It just seems kind of ridiculous to me. And we don't even know pricing yet

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Starting with the DLC already...like I love Mewtwo and all but this is a giant shot in the face to those without the 3DS version...before the Full game even comes out like c'mon.

If it was a matter of time (which it shouldn't be) he should've had it as a day 1 Patch.

It just seems kind of ridiculous to me. And we don't even know pricing yet
I think in it's entirety this is more of a shot in the face to those who aren't getting the WiiU version.

Que the "we paid more and deserve more" argument.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Hope Mewtwo is available as paid DLC for people who don't want both versions.

Also, lol at people saying the Wii U would have a much better stage roster than 3ds competitively. Based on the stages shown, that is not likely.
Hello? Stage builder screams "make whatever the hell competitive crap you want and share it online with millions of people".

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
8-Player Smash, Ridley deconfirmed as a character, confirmed as a boss, and MewTwo confirmed as a returning character among sooo many other things. There is a God! #:mewtwomelee:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Hello? Stage builder screams "make whatever the hell competitive crap you want and share it online with millions of people".
This didn't occur to me (or anyone, it seems). This revolutionizes Smash 4's competitive viability.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I can agree with everything you're saying except that they wouldn't be able to apply personality to Ridley. I do think that if they did anything wrong it would cause a lot of complaints, especially since so much hype has been developed. But I think they would execute Ridley in the same manner that they did Mewtwo. He didn't really have any personality. He was just mean and evil or something. Dark. Rough around the edges. You fee me, bro.

I could see that. I think in the entirety of it all many video games don't give the antagonist enough room to develop a character unless they force feed it to you right away (Ghirahim / Dedede / every red-suited character in Fire Emblem's history) or said antagonist pretends to be a friend for a large portion of the game. It would be a challenge, but I do think it would be possible to give Ridley enough character to make him "viable" for smash.
I thought Mewtwo had the First Movie to help with his character? You know, how he hated his human creators and all other humans because of selfishness or something? Then he had a change in heart because of some cliche BS event that happened and everything was hunky dorey. So yeah, he definitely had something going into Melee, which meant that it was easier to make him a darker character. Ridley could totally still make it into Smash, given the fact that the team can pull him off.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
I think in it's entirety this is more of a shot in the face to those who aren't getting the WiiU version.

Que the "we paid more and deserve more" argument.
Deep down I knew Nintendo would roll out the DLC, but not this early and not with gimmicky promotions like this.

>Hey guys we made your favorite character before the game released!!1! But instead of apologizing for late work, we've made him multi-version exclusive for a limited time!! Any desire after that must be paid.

Joshing aside, I really hope that it wasn't the case of "late work" and just a poor DLC gimmick

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I thought Mewtwo had the First Movie to help with his character? You know, how he hated his human creators and all other humans because of selfishness or something? Then he had a change in heart because of some cliche BS event that happened and everything was hunky dorey. So yeah, he definitely had something going into Melee, which meant that it was easier to make him a darker character. Ridley could totally still make it into Smash, given the fact that the team can pull him off.
Ridley has the manga. I don't know if it's canon, but it seems to be heavily acknowledged. But you're right. Comparing them doesn't work. I just think Ridley could.

By the way, thanks for giving me the only sane conversation I've had here since joining.
Deep down I knew Nintendo would roll out the DLC, but not this early and not with gimmicky promotions like this.
I concur.
>Hey guys we made your favorite character before the game released!!1! But instead of apologizing for late work, we've made him multi-version exclusive for a limited time!! Any desire after that must be paid.

Joshing aside, I really hope that it wasn't the case of "late work" and just a poor DLC gimmick

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Ridley has the manga. I don't know if it's canon, but it seems to be heavily acknowledged. But you're right. Comparing them doesn't work. I just think Ridley could.

By the way, thanks for giving me the only sane conversation I've had here since joining.
...Who was that directed at?

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
First, to the Ridley community:
I told you so Colbert gif.gif

Now accepting apologies for all the vitriol and libel you aimed at me.
Secondly, MEWTWO OMG!!!!!1!
Colbert Blink GIF.gif

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Man, there are some people here who are REALLY happy Ridley got deconfirmed... I mean, I'm not exactly a Ridley supporter either, and yes, his fans can be pretty annoying, but I don't see why you'd want to hate on MORE content in your game...

For me, it's much more satisfying to stick it to those people who vehemently opposed DLC and post release roster changes. It really did get under my skin when people kept saying "this is the final roster. Get over it." like they had some kind of in with Sakurai... I understand you don't want to spend extra money (I know I sure don't...), but I'd prefer that the OPTION at least be there...

And now, it is.:) Some might not be happy about it, but if you really want it, then you'll get it. Otherwise... well, just keep pretending that the current roster really is final.:p

passworddots

Smash Rookie
This is fantastic! Where was this mentioned and how did they mention it? Many Thanks!
No, no, sorry, but I have to expel this, as a Snake lover; Sakurai recycled another gimmick from Snake's inclusion, and it's the codec conversations. They gave the character description bonus to Pit this time around. There's, unfortunately, a next to nil chance of Snake returning, which is why we see a lot of his more useful traits repurposed in other characters and items. Sakurai didn't want to lose some of the things he really liked about Snake, but he knew that he wasn't keeping Snake.

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
:crazy: BLOODY HELLFIRE!
*head explodes 54 times*

Suddenly my Smash 4 3DS investment is paying dividends! Uh...excuse me-
*coughs and head explodes another 17 times*

Lots and lots and lots of impressive things there for the Wii U game, nothing to get upset over. I especially like how this new stage builder is looking, I was hoping for some opportunity to add curves into my stages, and this is a great step forward for truly unique stages.

Mastering a boss? That's a new idea! I like it, but personally I'm a bit underwhelmed for the Game Pad functionality. I don't remember if I went into great detail on the matter but I had been positing the potential for the Game Pad to be used in a sort of 'Gaia Mode', where the Game Pad player can opt out of battles to control the stage hazards, including fighting as bosses. Nintendo Land is a perfect example of how the standard Wii controller and Game Pad can take on differing roles in the same game, so while this is more complex I was hoping for something like this. But no matter, it's still lookin' awesome.
*coughs again and head explodes another 6 times*

So...time to play the waiting game.
Six weeks to go!.....

NovaDS

Smash Rookie
I'm happy about an insignificant things for you.
The musics.
"Battle: Champion Cynthia" My life is complete.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Yeah how fair to let my friends play on Wiimotes that are worse than the 16 bit era controllers, that makes for a lot of fun! Let's not even the field at all! (get real...)

@Bob: Don't assume that everyone else has as low standards as you.

Fanboys... sigh. Only Nintendo gamers are this way nowadays. They think everyone is part of their little sect where you own several consoles and you've got spares of everything lying around. Regular people who want to play some Nintendo games have either got to pay double or get an inferior experience.
Whoops I didn't mean to do that. I had typed out a long response and realized your patronizing statements aren't worth my time.
I don't think using the wii u game pad or the pro controllers alters the experience much, I will agree with you though that the wii remote by itself is insufficient. What you seem to be ignoring is that I was DEFENDING the GC controllers in my first post.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
We don't know that yet, the stage builder in brawl looked promising but it turned out the stages you could make with it had a bunch of bugs that making nonviable for competitive play.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
We don't know that yet, the stage builder in brawl looked promising but it turned out the stages you could make with it had a bunch of bugs that making nonviable for competitive play.
Ignoring bugs... (because how could i possibly know that...)

There are other more glaring reasons. The fact that there's an online marketplace and lack of (or less dependence on) pre-made structures makes it promising because it eliminates jank and promotes sharing, both are ridiculously important for it to be adopted into our system. (especially sharing, unless you'd rather remake the same stage on dozens of set-ups)

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad they're saving Ridley. At some point, when they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for new characters after using up all of the other, more credible options, at least Ridley could still show up.

But seriously? MEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWTTTTWWWOOOOO!!!!

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I knew...he'd come back. I never fell into despair. Always in my mind, there was a dim light. We have reached the end of the tunnel ladies and gents. Its been a fun ride but now, I am ready.

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Nearly an hour about the game and not one mention of the core gameplay... I'll eagerly await the balance patch announcements.
Because nothing would be more exciting than to hear the Smash Announcer yell "BALANCE PATCH ANNOUNCEMENTS!!" :rolleyes:

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Ridley is about as close to a playable character as a stage hazard can get.

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
I checked your profile to see how old you are because of how juvenile your comment is.. I see you were too embarrassed to list it because you're still only 7... It's okay little guy! Children are allowed on Smash Boards too. :-) just make sure no one catches you up so late!

I'm a PROUD Ridley supporter, and am THRILLED about the role he plays in this game! Here's lookin at you @D-idara
Haha, no man. Im actually a Ridley supporter, but honestly, after all the trolling, this is what we get? I mean, Metroid needs another character and Ridley has been a part of Nintendo history since what, 86? And as cool as a character like Shulk is, he's only been in one game. I thought Smash was supposed to be more of a retrospective of the company's history, but anymore it just seems like advertising.
But seriously, for a while ive been more supportive of Ridley for Project M because I feel that they would do an even better job with him than Nintendo would.

Sorry, not to offend anyone, just messing around ;)

Top Bottom