• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Rankings - Ranked 1v1s, 2v2s, Crew battles, Tournaments.. find it all!

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'd like to introduce you to Smash Brawl Rankings (www.smashbrawlrankings.com). The short version is that it's a ranking site for Smash Brawl with a friendly and fast growing community. The long version, if you'd prefer to read it here rather than the site, is this:

We're implementing a system for continuous rankings, grouped by area. Sakurai said, and
I'm paraphrasing here, that one single 'mountain' led to the top people being
happy, but a lot of frustration in the lower ranks. We think that having no
mountain at all isn't the obvious solution. We're going to have a mountain range.
but, enough with the metaphors! We'll have rankings by area, we think this
accomplishes a couple things. One, people can be happy when they are the best
ranked in their smaller community. More importantly, there will undoubtedly be
lag issues across vast distances. Since rankings have to comparative, we want to
rank the people who can actually play one another and aren't limited by latency
concerns.

We'll have a couple leader boards. One will be the 1v1 rankings and will feature
an on/off item filter. This will allow those who think items off is most hardcore
to take those as the 'true' rankings and those who enjoy items to use them and be
ranked amongst others who feel the same way. We'll also have a 2v2 board, so that
people can play teamed matches.

How do you find matches? We'll have a search by area and/or rank directory, so
you can find people that have a comparable skill level and are close by, for a
smoother connection.

You may be wondering how the rankings actually get calculated. Well, I won't go
into the exact algorithm, but I'll talk a bit about the general idea. The
rankings will be self-reported with a reliability rating system. It's easiest to
explain this in an example. Let's say you and I want a match. I challenge you
(from the directory). In your matches page, a new challenge will be added, which
you can accept or reject. Once you accept it, it becomes an official ranked match
(we do have options for friendly matches, however). We play however many matches
we want, just making sure to write down for each one a W (win) or L (loss) on a
piece of paper nearby (or however you want to keep track). Then we both
independently go on the site and put in our number of matches and whether we won
or lost.

Here's where the reliability rating system comes in. If our results agree, no
problems occur, and the calculations go through. If the results disagree, we'll
both be shown the disagreement and have chances to revise our (hopefully) mistake.
If we come to an agreement, great - everything works out once again. If we never
come to an agreement, we'll both have our reliability ratings lowered.
Now this may sound unfair to the person telling the truth, at first. But think
about how this will work over time. Those who persist in lying about results will
quickly have a low reliability rating, while those who are honest will keep
there's far above such a level. When the rating gets too low, you get suspended
from ranked play.

We may also feature optional spectator judges, picture uploads, etc. But this
main reliability system was designed to eliminate the need for these as much as
possible, allowing the site to scale with many people.

We also have live chat, so that people can seek out a match in real time, making
sure a user is online and ready to play. We plan a few more features, which for
now, are being kept quiet, and will be released much later.
Please visit the site, check it out, and drop us some suggestions.

Hope I didn't put you into info overload,
Supra

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
This is a great site. They are working extra hard to make sure that there can and will be tournaments between regions, states and countries. Join so that you can see how you rank with other Brawlers out there!

Srules

Smash Apprentice
Great algorithm. If you could implement a clan or group system that would be optimal.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm curious because so many different groups are competing right now to be the big "Smash ladder".

Ultimately, I think 1 or 2 of them will succeed, but which ones no one knows.

I'm guessing that eventually the top players will figure out which one is the most liked and pick 1.

Anyway, good luck with it. I might sign up once Brawl comes out.

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
One of the most advanced and yet simple ranked systems I've seen yet. Great job on the site.

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
You're right that there are a few sites doing this sort of thing. Some of them are more tournament-oriented, rather than rankings, which is what we do. As for rankings, I think Smash Brawl Rankings is a clear front runner. We launched about a week ago and we already have close to 500 members. Our community is very active and friendly, representing many parts of the globe. We take suggestions from our members seriously and already, we've seen a lot of great ideas. We have everything in place to make this the best ranking site, but we also want it to be shaped by your vision, too. Since we feature both ranked and friendly matches, we welcome all Brawlers to visit SBR and help make the site everything you'd want it to be.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a really fun idea. I intend to take part once the game is out here.

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to have spectators in "With Friends" matches? If not, your reliability ranking system seems like a great alternative. I suppose replays could also be saved as evidence.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
The site is really impressive, and I'm surprised a site is already setup with the full backend running already. A+ work though, and the system is done very well, simple, clean, and works well without a lot of sticky situations requiring admin intervention. Looking forward to competing on the site.

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
As of today, we have over 500 members! We love our current community and we look forward to meeting everyone else.

KillerJack

Smash Rookie
I'm a smash nub, so this place may be to hardcore for me. I was checking out the site though. I like the possibility of different types of clan matches, records of 2 v 2 battles as well as 1v1. Also to make sure people don't report bogus info it seems good. There were also talk about posting and rating weekly vids, which seems like a cool idea.

I'll def. visit watch some vids and check some of the forums, but I won't register until I have a chance of beating anyone at Brawl which could be aftre 2 years of 40 hours per week training.

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
I'm a smash nub, so this place may be to hardcore for me. I was checking out the site though. I like the possibility of different types of clan matches, records of 2 v 2 battles as well as 1v1. Also to make sure people don't report bogus info it seems good. There were also talk about posting and rating weekly vids, which seems like a cool idea.

I'll def. visit watch some vids and check some of the forums, but I won't register until I have a chance of beating anyone at Brawl which could be aftre 2 years of 40 hours per week training.
Hey, if you are new to smash, the site could still come in handy. We feature not only ranked matches, but friendly matches as well. You could use the site to find someone that is approximately your skill level, so that you can practice in the most efficient and fun way possible.

KillerJack

Smash Rookie
Your site looks really good, I probably will join when the game comes out. Do you guys have set rules for matches or is that for the people setting the match to decide?

Oh and keep up the good work :)

cheezysnacks

Smash Cadet
Subscribed... i like that site, and hope we can get the pros behind this one. I already saw gimpyfish, and mew2king. great system, easy to understand. we should all consider using this site for our rankings. I also noticed most the people were north american, it would be cool if you could get a more worldwide grouping... how will you guys try to get people from asia, or africa to use this site?

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...looks pretty cool.
Though I don't have the game yet, should be here by Frriday so I'll sign up then.:)

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
Subscribed... i like that site, and hope we can get the pros behind this one. I already saw gimpyfish, and mew2king. great system, easy to understand. we should all consider using this site for our rankings. I also noticed most the people were north american, it would be cool if you could get a more worldwide grouping... how will you guys try to get people from asia, or africa to use this site?
Good question! Well, for example.. I've been looking for people who know Japanese to help us out, but haven't found someone yet. I'll keep looking, since Japan is probably the biggest concern at the moment (moreso than africa or other asian countries).

maian

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not entirely sure how the system is going to work...someone care to explain? Or am I just dumb?

Either way, I signed up. Looks like you guys are working hard on it. Someone actually made a thread at my main message board (vgchat.com), and it looked interesting there too, although I didn't join. Either way, I'm on there now. Can't wait to see how things look when the game is released. Good job.

Starscream

Smash Ace
There are so many of these different Brawl matchmaking websites being made... until a dominant one is clear, I don't think I'll be using these.

cheezysnacks

Smash Cadet
also i have another question... will you have a way to prevent people from making multiple accounts and challenging themselves to improve their rank? like maybe preventing people with the same friend code from playing each other. My brothers and I will likely all subscribe to this site, and we will own one copy of Brawl since we're roomates together, and it would be unfortunate if we couldn't all have our own account. But if you can prevent the same friend code from playing each other that would at least stop some of the problem.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
also i have another question... will you have a way to prevent people from making multiple accounts and challenging themselves to improve their rank? like maybe preventing people with the same friend code from playing each other. My brothers and I will likely all subscribe to this site, and we will own one copy of Brawl since we're roomates together, and it would be unfortunate if we couldn't all have our own account. But if you can prevent the same friend code from playing each other that would at least stop some of the problem.
There are diminishing returns for defeating players over and over a player who aren't high ranked. Beating a n00b who hasn't beaten anyone will basically just increase win %, and not raise your rank.

And the thing about this site, win % won't really mean Jack if you can't back it up in a real match. It's just there so people can check how they are doing overall against other players.

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not entirely sure how the system is going to work...someone care to explain? Or am I just dumb?

Either way, I signed up. Looks like you guys are working hard on it. Someone actually made a thread at my main message board (vgchat.com), and it looked interesting there too, although I didn't join. Either way, I'm on there now. Can't wait to see how things look when the game is released. Good job.
We have a board where some more details are discussed: http://smashbrawlrankings.com/index.php?board=11.0

If you have any specific questions, post them and I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Interesting. I joined. Seems neat, and cool. I am on the chat right now. IDENTIFY YOURSELF IF YOU ARE ON! :) Please? :)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Genius, simply genius.

Do those with low reliability ratings get banned permanently, and do they have less chances of being picked for a match?

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
Genius, simply genius.

Do those with low reliability ratings get banned permanently, and do they have less chances of being picked for a match?
Well, if you have low reliability, people will be less likely to want a match with you.. and that'll happen naturally since reliability is displayed in the directory search.

If you get a REALLY low reliability rating, you'll get suspended from ranked play. I don't think it will be permanent, but there will probably be some harsh penalty (e.g. reset to starting rank). Probably more fair than harsh though, since if you lied enough to get your reliability rating that low, your rank is probably not accurate anyway.

supraking777

Smash Apprentice
Also, we've recently put up an articles board, so stay tuned for some Smash-related articles written by our members. If you're interested in writing rather than reading, we encourage you to check it out as well!

Top Bottom