• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The character sounds like either Samus or Mario.

Both have fairly decent long range games, and some interesting aerial games. They also both have some trouble scoring KOs if they are forced to diminish kill moves.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to go with Yoshi. He seems to fit the criterion the best. Eggs are I guess a good long ranged game, plus his grab and neutral B outrange a lot of people on stuff. His aerials are decent enough: solid sex kick, good back air, killing up air. Fair and Dair are kind of limited, but they have their uses. His close game seems bad because he has basically no shield options (his shield seems to take longer than normal to take down, his smashes and grab are too slow to use from it). But his Jab and Ftilt/Utilt are decent enough moves with a little determination. And killing is DEFINITELY a problem with Yoshi. None of his tilts kill until ludicrous percentages. Only his Up-aerial can kill, and it has a tiny hitbox. I guess Fair can kill, but it's nearly impossible to land offstage, which is what you'd need to kill. Upsmash and Fsmash are just freaking slow, and they don't kill all that early.

Samus is another option. Her Zair, missiles, and charge shot definitely fit the "powerful long ranged game". But her aerials I've really found NOT to be amazing. Fair and Uair are multihit without any sort of knockback really and very short range, Nair has pathetic knockback (without even the useful set-up-ness of Sheik's). Bair and Dair are fantastic in their power and range, but are on the slow side. Unless the Zair is counted in the aerial game, I'd think this'd disqualify Samus from this hint. Especially as Samus's Jab is quite powerful, and makes her close game pretty good. Trouble KOing fits the bill, but I haven't noticed as huge a reliance on move freshness as with Yoshi, who's only reliable kill really is the upsmash. Dtilt, Bair, and Fsmash are all good enough options, and the Dair is pretty useful for kills too. Not to mention the Charge Shot.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
This is 100% samus! The strong long range game can't be turnips or eggs or fireballs, Samus has 2 (or 3) projectiles which reach pretty long range. Samus has great arials. Her dair is sick, uair is awesome, bair is tough to pull off but powerful, and fair is one of her few moves that may actually be buffed from melee. Her short range game blows if you don't know how to use it, but can be decent if u use the tilts properly or angle the forward smashes. And most importantly, SHE CAN'T KILL! I don't play Samus much, but I try sometimes and killing moves have always been my problem, even a full charge blast doesn't kill that well.

Lucario can kill 1 billion times easier than Samus, its called 60% aura + any move. Also, Lucario's ground game is much better at a glance...uptilt??

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Thiocyanide, do you really think Zamus appears "horrible, at least on the surface"?

I don't see how that's the case. She doesn't look great on the surface, but she doesn't look horrible either.

I can see how a lot of the rest of the hint would apply, but it doesn't seem to really fit on the whole.
Zero Suit has a bad KO game, no approach methods, the laggiest grab in the game, and little range. A lot of her good spacing moves have a lot of startup time.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
infzy, you forgot to list Samus's projectile I think. I think "Lucario's projectile>Samus" means more like "Lucario's projectile>Samus['s]"
Nope. He's completely right. Lucario's projectile > Samus.

And Luigi's Fire ball may be useful, but it's not 'great', and it doesnt even have to much range. I dont know if his Down B counts as 'long range game' though, but Im pretty sure Side B does.
....No, it doesn't. Not by a longshot.

I do have some trouble KOing too. Idk if edguarding counts though as 'KOing'. But also his DR helps him KO even more, since you can use it to slide backwards a little to dodge an attack then slide back in towards the opponent while doing an attack, and also if you time it right you can use the few super armor frames to block an attack and go in for an attack.
Edgeguarding normally doesn't count when we're talking about KO power itself, but with KOing ability, it does. Also, DR/Waveyoshing is EXTREMELY tough, and is NOT as simple as you're making it out to be. Also, you can't Waveyosh forwards, if I remember right.

This is 100% samus! The strong long range game can't be turnips or eggs or fireballs, Samus has 2 (or 3) projectiles which reach pretty long range. Samus has great arials. Her dair is sick, uair is awesome, bair is tough to pull off but powerful, and fair is one of her few moves that may actually be buffed from melee. Her short range game blows if you don't know how to use it, but can be decent if u use the tilts properly or angle the forward smashes. And most importantly, SHE CAN'T KILL! I don't play Samus much, but I try sometimes and killing moves have always been my problem, even a full charge blast doesn't kill that well.
Samus' long range game sucks. It's not her, and her short range game isn't that good in its own right. Zair is really her best asset. It's a GOOD asset, but it doesn't make up for the lack of an adequate ground game. She also has very very very little potential, and her underestimatedness is deserving. =\

Lucario can kill 1 billion times easier than Samus, its called 60% aura + any move. Also, Lucario's ground game is much better at a glance...uptilt??
At 60%, his KO power is about equal with Samus. : \
He's MUCH weaker than Samus at 0-50%.

Not counting the Revenge Boost, where you have Samus-KO ability at 30% instead.

Honestly, though, he has incredible trouble KOing when he's below 100% other than gimping.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Ookay. It is Not Olimar nor Lucas.

Neither Olimar or Lucas have any problem getting a kill. Olimar's kills can come around 60% with an Over B followed by a U Smash. Or a throw With A purple.
Lucas... I dare you to get hit by a U Smash at around 70% , i mean i second Lucas and near the edge iv'e killed pretty low with just pointing the C stick at them. If it wasn't important they wouldn't have mentioned the fact that this person has a relatively hard time to KO.

Ness: his projectile game is pretty nice, and aerials are pretty great too. But i'm not seeing how he has problems up close. U Tilt rocks. D Smash and U Smash are just too good, and the bat though slow is awesome and no one can really say otherwise.

Lucario: The people who are arguing that it's Lucario from what of the few post I have seen. You guys are arguing the fact that Lucario is underestimated(and yes he is)But you should know people who get in the face of a good Lucario are in for a shocking awakening. Over B Eats goat babies. And his F Tilt at even mid percents is a **** monster. I don't play Lucario, but yet I don't really have a trouble Ko'ing with him when I get him messing around with Random.

It's just Samus. Si seniores y senioritas, Lucario's Projectiles > Samus' projectiles. But No matter Samus' projectile are pretty good and a relatively important part of her game. I find Nair is awesome to approach with outside of spacing her projectiles and is pretty solid in the air. But up close to another char... oh gawd. It's usually fail but you stil have some options. D Tilt F Smash(if you'r brave enough lawl..inside joke) And KO ing is pretty difficult. You don't beleive pick up Samus and see the average percent you start kiling around. It's Samus beleive me or not. i think i've done a solid job in arguing a char i hardly use.

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
I'm gonna go with it being Peach...

Definatly underated due to the large change in playstyle from melee.
Turnips are a great projectile.
Great aerial moves and the float to dair opens up combos.
Also I think her close range game is good.

To sum it all up the biggest trouble with Peach is getting KOs, its all over her forum even.:)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Edit: Samus by golly jee willikers!

7/08/08

Samus is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, she can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, she can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be her weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, she struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.

Although it could be ZSS, she has the longest range non projectical moves.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lucario is not underestimated. He never has been. He is hailed as one of the few capable of actually comboing and people actually wondered why he hadn't risen in the tournaments until recently.
Bull****. I've never heard a single praise about him from anyone other than Lucario mains until recently. He's ALWAYS been seen as mid-tier by almost everyone else on every conceived tier list since very recently.

Also, Lucario mains love fsmash and Dair. That's a problem, as Fsmash and Dair are our main KO moves. We REALLY need to worry about keeping them fresh, as the main reason we use them for is range. In order to refresh them, we have to get very very close to grab, which is way out of our comfort zone.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Bull****. I've never heard a single praise about him from anyone other than Lucario mains until recently. He's ALWAYS been seen as mid-tier by almost everyone else on every conceived tier list since very recently.
Check the earlier pages of the tier list.
Lucario has ALWAYS been in upper mid to low high.
Thats far from being underestimabted like Sonic and yoshi who people still insist suck and are deserving of being in low.
Also, Lucario mains love fsmash and Dair. That's a problem, as Fsmash and Dair are our main KO moves. We REALLY need to worry about keeping them fresh, as the main reason we use them for is range. In order to refresh them, we have to get very very close to grab, which is way out of our comfort zone.
What about the Bair?
Or the aura sphere?
Aren't they used as killing moves?

Can't you refresh them with your other moves?

KingK

Smash Apprentice
People really seem to be missing the very first part of the hint.

"This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible."

Many have mentioned underestimated characters, but not ones that, honestly, seem to be horrible, at least "on the surface."

Let's consider some of the most mentioned ones:

Lucas? Does he seem horrible on the surface? A resounding no. Not to mention I'd argue he isn't really that underestimated. I've gotten the sense that he actually isn't doing as well as people expected him to do in tournaments, instead of the opposite. Sure, he has potential to do better, but he's probably high-mid at best, and that's where most people tend to place him.

Samus? Yes, indeed. She got smacked around by the nerf bat pretty hard in the transition from Melee, and that's the most lasting impression most people seem to have gotten from her, whether they've played her much or not.

Peach? Maybe, not really. She seems kind of mediocre on the surface, but not "horrible" by any means. Yea, she got nerfed as well, but nobody would place her in the same league as the lowest of the low.

Yoshi? Yea, definitely underestimated, and he definitely seems horrible at first glance. As any Yoshi main will tell you, though, he has far more merits than most people seem to think.

Z.S.S.? Sure, she has some big weaknesses. She's not great at KOing. Laggy grab. Tether recovery (which some people assume makes her recovery bad, which isn't true at all). Not a great approach game (though the stun gun helps). Nevertheless, especially on the surface, she appears to be a fast character with good jabs, a lagless dash attack and good combo ability, especially because of her stunning attacks. I've never seen anybody place her any lower than Low Tier, even on the most questionable of Tier Lists. I would be surprised if #13 were ZSS, as much as I'd like it to be.

Lucario? Get real. Looks horrible on the surface? Underestimated? Okay, I could see the underestimated part. As others have said, even though he's been doing great in tournaments people still haven't recognized him as one of the stronger characters in the game. Nevertheless, even despite the fact that he seems disadvantaged by an inability to KO until he's taken a good amount of damage (notice I said seems to be, I'm not saying that's necessarily the case), he still seems like a fairly solid character even if you don't know much about him. The Aura Sphere and his pretty decent recovery is enough to ensure that, not to mention his huge, often disjointed hitboxes and his dair.

Sonic? Despite nearly non-stop argument from Sonic mains to the contrary, many have considered Sonic to be a bottom tier character for a while, mainly because of his lack of priority and inability to KO. Sure, he doesn't really fit the rest of the hint, but I do think you could say that Sonic is a) underestimated and that b) "on the surface seems to be horrible."

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614

To sum it all up the biggest trouble with Peach is getting KOs, its all over her forum even.:)
I think it's Peach too. Maybe I just want her to be next, but it kind of makes sense.

Roager

Smash Ace
It's Samus. VERY nerfed since Melee, so people chalk her up to horrible pretty quick. Long range game seems to be a strong point, but she also does fairly well in close quarters. I think the air combo hint means the multi-hit u-air and f-air. I say Samus.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
IMO, no matter what, Sonic IS horrible. >.>

Well, it's been said we all suck with Sonic, which may be true, in which case, he's horrible as long as we're horrible, ehe.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
People really seem to be missing the very first part of the hint.

"This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible."

Many have mentioned underestimated characters, but not ones that, honestly, seem to be horrible, at least "on the surface."
Alright. I'll play your game. Let's look at things "on the surface" for a bit, without all the bias of a competitive player.

Let's consider some of the most mentioned ones:

Lucas? Does he seem horrible on the surface? A resounding no. Not to mention I'd argue he isn't really that underestimated. I've gotten the sense that he actually isn't doing as well as people expected him to do in tournaments, instead of the opposite. Sure, he has potential to do better, but he's probably high-mid at best, and that's where most people tend to place him.
From a glance, Lucas seems to be incredibly "cheap." He's basically a pumped-up Ness that doesn't suck and is easy to use. You can spam his projectiles all day and rarely if ever get hit due to their high stopping power and PKT2 doing just so much damage and going so far.

Samus? Yes, indeed. She got smacked around by the nerf bat pretty hard in the transition from Melee, and that's the most lasting impression most people seem to have gotten from her, whether they've played her much or not.
At a glance, Samus seems to be a great character. Her moves are quick. Her spikes are easy to land, and her projectiles are great. Her Screw Attack is instant, and her smashes are extremely quick and damaging. You probably won't notice the lack of KO power until you start comparing her with Ike.

Peach? Maybe, not really. She seems kind of mediocre on the surface, but not "horrible" by any means. Yea, she got nerfed as well, but nobody would place her in the same league as the lowest of the low.
Peach seems VERY bad on the surface. Her projectiles take forever and a half to come out and don't travel far, and are mediocre at best. She has no powerful moves that she can reliably use and KO with, and she's incredibly weak, even when compared with other characters, but it just seems to stand out with Peach because of her being... well... Princess Peach.

Yoshi? Yea, definitely underestimated, and he definitely seems horrible at first glance. As any Yoshi main will tell you, though, he has far more merits than most people seem to think.
Yoshi sucks on the surface. I'd clog up the entire topic with the reasons that you'd think so at a glance.

Z.S.S.? Sure, she has some big weaknesses. She's not great at KOing. Laggy grab. Tether recovery (which some people assume makes her recovery bad, which isn't true at all). Not a great approach game (though the stun gun helps). Nevertheless, especially on the surface, she appears to be a fast character with good jabs, a lagless dash attack and good combo ability, especially because of her stunning attacks. I've never seen anybody place her any lower than Low Tier, even on the most questionable of Tier Lists. I would be surprised if #13 were ZSS, as much as I'd like it to be.
ZSS seems devastating on the surface. She's quick, has incredible range with her SideB and Fsmash, her stuff PARALYZES people in place, she is incredibly strong, very quick, tether recovery as well as third jump, etc.

Lucario? Get real. Looks horrible on the surface? Underestimated? Okay, I could see the underestimated part. As others have said, even though he's been doing great in tournaments people still haven't recognized him as one of the stronger characters in the game. Nevertheless, even despite the fact that he seems disadvantaged by an inability to KO until he's taken a good amount of damage (notice I said seems to be, I'm not saying that's necessarily the case), he still seems like a fairly solid character even if you don't know much about him. The Aura Sphere and his pretty decent recovery is enough to ensure that, not to mention his huge, often disjointed hitboxes and his dair.
Lucario sucks on the surface. He starts out HORRIBLY weak, even weaker than Peach or Samus, and the difference isn't noticeable enough at high % due to the perception that at high %, you're supposed to kill. However, you might die first as everyone and their mother is stronger than you, and then you can't kill them! What the hell! And then you get 2-stocked. : \

The story of the scrub Lucario.

Sonic? Despite nearly non-stop argument from Sonic mains to the contrary, many have considered Sonic to be a bottom tier character for a while, mainly because of his lack of priority and inability to KO. Sure, he doesn't really fit the rest of the hint, but I do think you could say that Sonic is a) underestimated and that b) "on the surface seems to be horrible."
Sonic seems like a good character on the surface. He's incredibly quick, which seems at first to make up for all his flaws. You can't edgeguard him due to his stupid recovery, and he's just so gosh darn FAST that you just can't keep up because "YOU'RE TOO SLOOOOOOOOOOW."
Check the earlier pages of the tier list.
Lucario has ALWAYS been in upper mid to low high.
Thats far from being underestimabted like Sonic and yoshi who people still insist suck and are deserving of being in low.
...He's always been mid-mid to high-mid to eventually the bottom of high until recently, and he's just been creeping up slowly until people suddenly went "WTF!? HOW THE HELL DID HE GET SO HIGH?"
He's deserving of much more once you get deeper into him.

What about the Bair?
Or the aura sphere?
Aren't they used as killing moves?

Can't you refresh them with your other moves?
You'll never kill with Bair our Aura Sphere at low % unless you're gimping or your opponent has an obscene amount of damage.
It's Samus. VERY nerfed since Melee, so people chalk her up to horrible pretty quick. Long range game seems to be a strong point, but she also does fairly well in close quarters. I think the air combo hint means the multi-hit u-air and f-air. I say Samus.
Her long range game sucks when you look into it. Everything and their mother goes through missiles, and uncharged shot is too laggy to be spammed.

I think it's Peach too. Maybe I just want her to be next, but it kind of makes sense.
I actually do, too, but it most likely won't happen due to the problematicness of the idea of her "long range game."

She's underrated, I'll give you that
But turnips are still horrible excuses for a projectile now. They can't be spammed due to their hour and a half of time needed to pluck just one and Peach's very weak throwing arm.
Her air and close game is good, however.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I got to tell you...

T Link
Link
Ganon
Zelda

We have really rolled out the triforce characters

out of the 12 characters listed 4 out of the 5 LoZ characters are already on the list....

I think it is samus.

If shiek comes soon I will complain and ask for more variation coming from the mods.

(Understandable though because Ledgend of Zelda is one of the best series ever created in gaming)

Honestly my bro says there are two types of people

Ledgend of Zelda fans and Noobs. I hope your not a noob.

Dj Chopin

Smash Apprentice
It's Yoshi. Let me into the back room, please : )

Anyway, nothing on the surface makes samus look "horrible", and her long-range game is obviously good. Yoshi's egg tossing is not obviously good, but it is VERY good if done well and goes from "tossing" to "sniping". I have been slaughtered by StompsFTW and some other guy on GameBattles as Yoshi. Stomps specifically is in the top 25, i believe. Also, Yoshi's aerial game is ridiculous once mastered but the qualities that make it so are not immediately obvious. Hovering d-air, whatever you wanna call it can be pure evil and Yoshi does have a very powerful and deceptive spike.

I think its Yoshi.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
Alright. I'll play your game. Let's look at things "on the surface" for a bit, without all the bias of a competitive player.

Lucario sucks on the surface. He starts out HORRIBLY weak, even weaker than Peach or Samus, and the difference isn't noticeable enough at high % due to the perception that at high %, you're supposed to kill. However, you might die first as everyone and their mother is stronger than you, and then you can't kill them! What the hell! And then you get 2-stocked. : \

Okay, I see what you mean there. I guess a big thing for this hint is for us to try to determine from whose perspective they mean "on the surface." Because for a smash n00b, Ike seems like a Top Tier character, especially 'on the surface,' but anybody in the competitive scene would look at a character who is fairly slow and has some pretty laggy attacks and say that they are far too punishable to be great to compete with (just an example).

I think that you might be right that to a new player (a 'scrub') Lucario might seem less than desirable. To anybody who knows a good deal about Smash in general, but doesn't know much about Lucario, though, I would say that he wouldn't appear "horrible" at all.

The opposite could be said of Samus; to newer players the projectile spam and seemingly decent and quick smash attacks would make Samus appear to be a pretty solid character, but to a more knowledgeable Smash player, even on the surface, Samus probably wouldn't seem that great. Especially if they were familiar with Samus from melee, and noticed some of the big differences right off the bat.

As for Peach, I still contend that she does indeed seem kind of crap, even to a newer player, but she nevertheless doesn't really ever seem truly "horrible" (not like C.F. or Jiggs or Ganon).

Villi

Smash Lord
I think it's between Peach and Samus.

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.

Peach is still underestimated and I wouldn't be surprised if Samus is too.

A force to be reckoned with the advancement of the meta-game. I am leaning toward Samus on that one because of her heavy weight, zair, projectile game, and fast kill moves. Peach, though, still has good priority, very fast and damaging aerials, and workable killing power.

Strong long range goes to Samus; however, Peach's long range game is not as bad as it might look on paper. Many times it's very easy to find a moment to pull out a turnip and if you can gain a bit of control, the turnip's trajectory makes it very easy to dodge and spam at the same time. With glide tossing it also gives her a viable approach from a distance.

Awesome aerial game goes to Peach. Samus has a fast and long nair, and a spike, but the rest is just mediocre. She can combo into her other aerials, but they're just not as damaging as Peach's.

Peach has a fast nair that does good damage at startup and has sex kick properties. Same goes for her bair which also has decent priority. Her fair has good range, priority, damage, and knockback. At low percentages, her combo potential with her dair makes it relatively easy to start off the match by giving her opponent 40% or more damage.

I don't see how anyone might think that Samus would not be good at short range. Fsmash is a good attack. Dsmash and Dtilt both come out quickly and have good knockback. Decently fast jab combo and tilts.

Peach on the other hand got a heavy dsmash nerf. Her fsmash was never really a staple of her game. Her usmash is still hard to connect with properly. Her tilts don't have much knockback at low percentages. But, her dsmash still comes out fast and occasionally does a good chunk of damage... even if it isn't 80... and it'll shield stab. Her fsmash comes out at an average speed, but at high percentages it becomes a reliable kill move since it doesn't suffer much use. Usmash kills at low percentages if you manage to connect with it. Her utilt comes out very quickly, outprioritizes every dair, and has HUGE range. Ftilt can kill light weights at high percentages and has good range and speed, and dtilt also has deceptive range. She has a very fast jab combo and a good grab game.

Samus can KO with her Charge shot, dtilt, fsmash, dsmash, bair, and dair spike.
Peach can KO with her aerials unless she overuses them, which she is prone to do. The rest of her moves are either difficult to set up or won't kill until percents near 150%.

I think it's peach. I would take the "long range" thing with a grain of salt.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I think its Peach.

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible.
Peach is somewhat underestimated by some people.

With a strong long range game
Turnips have many applications to them. Glide Tossing, Turnip Free Pull, etc.

an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest.
All of her aerials are good. Dair is basically the key to all of her combos, Fair can kill at good percentages if its not spammed, Bair and Nair have multiple hitboxs and are almost impossible to airdodge because of their long durations.

Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
Very frustrating to get KOs with her if you spammed all of your moves out. However her Usmash is devistating if connect at low percents, Fsmash kills at reasonable percents, Fair is the same.

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
I dont think that its peach. Shes not horrible and her long range game can be good but it isnt that good.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice

...He's always been mid-mid to high-mid to eventually the bottom of high until recently, and he's just been creeping up slowly until people suddenly went "WTF!? HOW THE HELL DID HE GET SO HIGH?"
He's deserving of much more once you get deeper into him.

Good analysis. However, he still fails to meet the "this character can become a force to reckon with in the future" phrase, as he is doing well in the rankings right now.

Dj Chopin

Smash Apprentice
It's Yoshi. I think very few people have seen what a good Yoshi player looks like because he's so odd to use. So no one trusts that the backroom discussion would be about such an obscure player. Trust me though, most who play this game competitively have been pwned by a good Yoshi. Its really not Samus. Peach is somewhat possible, but Yoshi really comes to mind first and foremost.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Quote:

At a glance, Samus seems to be a great character. Her moves are quick. Her spikes are easy to land, and her projectiles are great. Her Screw Attack is instant, and her smashes are extremely quick and damaging. You probably won't notice the lack of KO power until you start comparing her with Ike.

Quote:

Yoshi sucks on the surface. I'd clog up the entire topic with the reasons that you'd think so at a glance.
Hmm I forgot to look at the 'on the surface part'. Samus doesn't look horrible on the surface in my opinion. And I think they mean 'on the surface' for competetive players, not casual players. About Lucario seeming to suck on the surface, not really, my friends (well they are casual though) always said things like Lucario's awsome when Brawl was coming out/came out.

I was thinking it was Samus more than Yoshi... but for the on the surface, I think Samus looks better on the surface than Yoshi... but I can't tell, since I play Yoshi.

Samus just doesn't look sucky to me cus when I played her in the beginning of Brawl, she seemed pretty good. She has nice projectiles, which are always fun to use, nice combos like Dsmash to Upsmash to uair to uair [to Up B may be] and such, and she overall just doesn't look sucky to me.

I think Yoshi fits this part more, since people find him so awkward and therefore think he sucks.

But then again, what do they mean 'on the surface'... as in the first few times you play with/against that char, or more like you know nothing about the char?

Ok, my guess now is Yoshi, he has more potential than Samus for the part of the hint that says 'But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future.'

Ok, samus doesn't really have much potential does she? No newly discovered ATs, or anything like that. She has room to improve though, (most people put her at Bottom Tier now, but really she doesnt suck that bad). But look at Yoshi, I mean he got like 7 ATs discovered in June. He has Dragonic Reverse, it's a combination of a Wavedash AND DJC. I say Yoshi. (update update update hurry please :) )

Quote:
I do have some trouble KOing too. Idk if edguarding counts though as 'KOing'. But also his DR helps him KO even more, since you can use it to slide backwards a little to dodge an attack then slide back in towards the opponent while doing an attack, and also if you time it right you can use the few super armor frames to block an attack and go in for an attack.

Edgeguarding normally doesn't count when we're talking about KO power itself, but with KOing ability, it does. Also, DR/Waveyoshing is EXTREMELY tough, and is NOT as simple as you're making it out to be. Also, you can't Waveyosh forwards, if I remember right.
Hmm OK... as a Yoshi player with both KO power and edguarding i dont have much trouble KOing at all. Sorry if I made it seem like DR was easy to use, I know its very hard to use, but in the hands of an experienced DRer (bigman I know is really good at it actually) that's what you could do (which supports the 'a force to reckon with in the future' part of the hint). And you can DR forward or backwards and you can pivot and change directions while doing it.

Top Bottom