• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social 6.0 - 『ONE YEAR OF SOCIAL 6.0!』

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since, we're on Paper Mario, let me ask a few questions.

• Who is your favourite partner in Paper Mario?
  • Favourite partner in TTYD?
  • Favourite boss in PM?
  • Favourite boss in TTYD?
  • What was your initial reaction to SPM's gameplay change (including replacing partners for pixls)?

To answer my own questions:
  • Lady Bow
  • Goombella
  • Junior Koopa
  • Rawk Hawk
  • I wasn't too fond of the change to the platformer/RPG mix initially, but I think it was very well executed. Besides, the story and characters are just as good.

:231:
btw, I recommend to say pm64 becuase it;s confusing if it's the series or the game, I will assume the game.

• Parakkarry, easy, he is VERY usefull in the overworld witht he whole letters, he has a defense of 1 AND is airborne AND allows any enemy attack even in the air with a spike whcih normally requires very weird stuff. The fact he is cameo in TTYD is a bonus too :)
  • Goombella, her dialogs proportion in the game is insane, she has a ton and msot of them are so good. She jsut loves to break the 4th wall and her tattle are freaking hilarious. She even go as far to refference classic vgl like why hammer bros carry infinite hammer. Plus, she`s cute :)
  • Huff n puff because he is what i consider the hardest boss strategy wise. You really have to plan how you woudl attack him extremely crefully because if you attack too much, it might go against you. it was really the best strategy wise.
  • Cortez not even questionning it. Cortez is just my favorite boss......period. First, he isn't even mean, he is actually so friendly he even call you amigo for sake. Second, the fight was really cool, I loved the phase changing and espeically the one with the weapons floating because it has multiple solution, but they are clever like spamming vivian fiery jinx or clock out. third DO I EVEN NEED TO EXPLAIN HOW BADASS HE IS?
  • Honestly.....there's multiple wasy to answer so i`ll do both. the first time I heard and saw it.....i was seriosuly doubtfull. I was asking myself questions like why is it that linear? I suck at mario 2d platformer, will I not be able to like the game? it went on and on until I by luck found the game used at an ebay game and actually tried it and......I sincerly regret doubting the game. After 15 minutes, it felt paper mario and after the first ch, it became extremly confusing to me. i was really enjoying the game.....but realised that the game isn't even close to be bad like a lot told me. i felt.....i was lied to so hard that eventually the game being good as a fact itself was more miond blowing than the game..... I found the gameplay genius because it bridged so well both genre and it bridges them so hard I cannot call this game a paltformer and I cannot for an rpg, I HAVE to say it's both.
Btw, i would add favorite spm stuff because.....well spm has a lot of good stuff :)

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I didn't know there was a general social thread for each entire game. I've been wading through the Ike boards and the pool room getting situated. Anyway, why have there been six of these? Did something terrible happen to all the last threads?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I didn't know there was a general social thread for each entire game. I've been wading through the Ike boards and the pool room getting situated. Anyway, why have there been six of these? Did something terrible happen to all the last threads?
The site software, Xenforo, often glitched when threads got too big, so we ended a thread and started over when we reached 2000 pages.

Although the limitation is no longer there, it became a tradition to start over when we reached 2000 pages. That's pretty much it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So are you all just constantly working towards a bleak end at 2000 pages, followed by another new thread?
Well, sort of.

Although the thread endings are anything but bleak. :p There is usually a nostalgic send-off with people remembering all the weird things they posted.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Well, sort of.

Although the thread endings are anything but bleak. :p There is usually a nostalgic send-off with people remembering all the weird things they posted.

Speaking of which, do you have an estimate of when ST 7.0 will be upon us? I still have to make that one dream come true:

And so my dream of posting on the first page of a new Social Thread still hasn't been realized. Well, looks like I'll be here until 7.0 at least.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of which, do you have an estimate of when ST 7.0 will be upon us? I still have to make that one dream come true:
Well, we usually manage 1-2 pages a day, so we have a few months until 7.0 drops. Probably April at earliest unless there is a surge in activity.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm not usually the one to say a character is op but... christ... Bayo and Corrin sure feel that way for some reason. Also... no more patches.. so yeah...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm almost upset that I was ultimately absent for the most part of this thread.

I'm not even busy, I just haven't had a reason to come here.

I repent for my sins.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
It's weird how Tom's Grand Bluening both saved and killed this place.

I'm almost upset that I was ultimately absent for the most part of this thread.

I'm not even busy, I just haven't had a reason to come here.

I repent for my sins.
Unrelated to this post, but did you make that Dolce avatar yourself? I Googled it because I really like the style of the picture but all hits I got were yours.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Since, we're on Paper Mario, let me ask a few questions.

• Who is your favourite partner in Paper Mario?
  • Favourite partner in TTYD?
  • Favourite boss in PM?
  • Favourite boss in TTYD?
  • What was your initial reaction to SPM's gameplay change (including replacing partners for pixls)?
For my favorite Paper Mario partner, I'd have to say Lady Bow. Sure, she can't really do much against armored targets, but if there are unarmored enemies in your way, Fan Smacks for DAYS. And the ability to avoid tight situations is pretty obvious. Lastly, there's a certain charm to a Boo that won't hesitate to literally smack some sense into those stubborn enough to get in her way.

TTYD partner? That's easy. Mario's greatest ally in any adventure is a Yoshi, and the little Yoshi brings all of the best qualities they have.....and then some. For one thing, he helps Mario get around quickly in true Yoshi fashion. From speeding about in the field to hovering over gaps all while carrying Mario, that's pretty impressive for a newly-hatched Yoshi. His battle prowess is nothing short of glorious. He can use his enemies as ammunition against their allies. He can nail multiple targets with eggs and shrink them in the process. He can call in a stampede to ravage the entire enemy team. What more needs to be said? Have a few BP to spare? Give him a Power Plus P or 2 and watch him REALLY go to town. And like any Yoshi, he has multiple colors(and hairstyles) to choose from, with the red Yoshi being my favorite. I would've picked the white one, but the hairstyle is kinda lame. Red had the coolest hair.

General Guy: The Toy Box was one the most fun areas in any Paper Mario game to date. This place had a lot going for it, cake mixes for those awesome recipes, the defense-breaking Watt, and TONS of mischief-making Shy Guys. I don't think there is a being more versatile than a Shy Guy. Seriously, there's a Guy for any purpose you can think of. But they weren't causing trouble just for the hell of it; they were an actual army. An army led by the stylish and classy General Guy, sporting his badass toy tank. I'd like to think that there are very few bosses in the series that are as likable as him.

Bonetail: No RPG should be without a gauntlet filled with some of the toughest enemies ever. Which is a notable fact of the Pit of 100 Trials, particularly the later levels. Enemies have lots of health, defense and attack power, all of which can put a massive strain on players who aren't adequately prepared. But just when you think you've had enough, you press on into the final chamber which looks pretty empty.....until you realize you're in an oddly familiar cutscene. And the bony big bad makes his appearance. With even more health and attack power than the Shadow Queen, combined with the ability to heal and cause a variety of ailments, any first-timer would most likely be thinking "Well, f**k". I can't really remember the last time I had attained a high level of satisfaction as when I beat Bonetail. The challenge is that it wasn't really the difficulty of the fight(it kinda was hard though, a few times I was unsure that I'd make it)but that he was the final hurdle in a series of already grueling battles. Made for a satisfying finale in my eyes.

About SPM: The shift towards platforming-style gameplay was an odd choice, being that Paper Mario made its name as an RPG. But as far as gameplay goes, SPM is a very solid title in its own right. I mean, it's Classic Mario with a Paper Mario flair, it can't be all bad, right? But the lack of partners is the one truly disturbing change. The Pixls were more like abilities rather than actual partners, but you had to switch them out like partners if you wanted a different ability, most of which should've been permanent abilities as in previous titles.

.Favorite boss... I'm tempted to say Lord Crump, but honestly, I really like Hooktail. The fight itself is easy, but I find his dialogue hilarious (offering to let you sniff his feet still makes me laugh), and literally eating the audience is surprising and really funny.
Hooktail is a she, actually. Just wanted to point that out. :p

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I've been practicing wavebouncing lately, but I'm having a really hard time doing it (I can't even consistenty wavebounce in training mode at 1/2 speed, that's how bad it is). I've been considering B-sticking, but it appears that only works for side specials. Is there any way to B-stick a neutral special, and in that case, how? I've been able to input nairs with the C-stick before, so I rekon it's not impossible.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
For my favorite Paper Mario partner, I'd have to say Lady Bow. Sure, she can't really do much against armored targets, but if there are unarmored enemies in your way, Fan Smacks for DAYS. And the ability to avoid tight situations is pretty obvious. Lastly, there's a certain charm to a Boo that won't hesitate to literally smack some sense into those stubborn enough to get in her way.

TTYD partner? That's easy. Mario's greatest ally in any adventure is a Yoshi, and the little Yoshi brings all of the best qualities they have.....and then some. For one thing, he helps Mario get around quickly in true Yoshi fashion. From speeding about in the field to hovering over gaps all while carrying Mario, that's pretty impressive for a newly-hatched Yoshi. His battle prowess is nothing short of glorious. He can use his enemies as ammunition against their allies. He can nail multiple targets with eggs and shrink them in the process. He can call in a stampede to ravage the entire enemy team. What more needs to be said? Have a few BP to spare? Give him a Power Plus P or 2 and watch him REALLY go to town. And like any Yoshi, he has multiple colors(and hairstyles) to choose from, with the red Yoshi being my favorite. I would've picked the white one, but the hairstyle is kinda lame. Red had the coolest hair.

General Guy: The Toy Box was one the most fun areas in any Paper Mario game to date. This place had a lot going for it, cake mixes for those awesome recipes, the defense-breaking Watt, and TONS of mischief-making Shy Guys. I don't think there is a being more versatile than a Shy Guy. Seriously, there's a Guy for any purpose you can think of. But they weren't causing trouble just for the hell of it; they were an actual army. An army led by the stylish and classy General Guy, sporting his badass toy tank. I'd like to think that there are very few bosses in the series that are as likable as him.

Bonetail: No RPG should be without a gauntlet filled with some of the toughest enemies ever. Which is a notable fact of the Pit of 100 Trials, particularly the later levels. Enemies have lots of health, defense and attack power, all of which can put a massive strain on players who aren't adequately prepared. But just when you think you've had enough, you press on into the final chamber which looks pretty empty.....until you realize you're in an oddly familiar cutscene. And the bony big bad makes his appearance. With even more health and attack power than the Shadow Queen, combined with the ability to heal and cause a variety of ailments, any first-timer would most likely be thinking "Well, f**k". I can't really remember the last time I had attained a high level of satisfaction as when I beat Bonetail. The challenge is that it wasn't really the difficulty of the fight(it kinda was hard though, a few times I was unsure that I'd make it)but that he was the final hurdle in a series of already grueling battles. Made for a satisfying finale in my eyes.

About SPM: The shift towards platforming-style gameplay was an odd choice, being that Paper Mario made its name as an RPG. But as far as gameplay goes, SPM is a very solid title in its own right. I mean, it's Classic Mario with a Paper Mario flair, it can't be all bad, right? But the lack of partners is the one truly disturbing change. The Pixls were more like abilities rather than actual partners, but you had to switch them out like partners if you wanted a different ability, most of which should've been permanent abilities as in previous titles.

Hooktail is a she, actually. Just wanted to point that out. :p
Actually, I never made this devil advocate before about the spm pixl, but here we go :)

The things I disagree with most people about the spm hate is saying that they aren;t partner, they are because they basically do the same functionality as ttyd and pm64: be an help in overworld and battle that is always available via a switch mechanic. It;s that basic.

What i will agree is yes, they feel a downgraded version because they act more as utilities with onyl ONE thing that a lot of the time helps you more on overworld or battles.

But I was thinking about it and I considered....they pretty much couldn;t avopid it. See, spm is a real time battle system from rpg mixed with paltformer with classic mario. That's fine, but the key part is it's real time. To mix rpg with paltformer, I feel they pretty much for multiple reasons found real time much more attracting than turn based because on turn based....you are stuck to do specific command slowing down the pace while platformer is more active all the time.

So thinkng about this, the real time battle system has cool advantages, but has also its cons. The pros woudl be it;s so quick that you will msot likely not have frustration with repetitive, the "run away" feature is jsut ignoring here. It can provide closer immersion because you have to move all the time and do quicker decision. The cons however is that because you haver to do qucik and reactive decisions, this limits your strategy at a given time meaning that you do have less options and because of this, the attacks usually are reflecting this, it;s simpler and wuicker, but at the end, it jsut downgrades your strategy options somethignt he turn based system is famous to give so much options.

Add all this up and now I can see why they put the pixl the way they should: they were just being consistent. Of course, you are nto going to get this much strategy and options and I guess even dialogues (but that part could have been improved imo), but that;s not what i consider a flaw, more a compromise. And because i can logically see where they were goign from and it makes sense, I didn;t realyl think it was much problem, i mean I even enjoyed the fact the platformer side was so well integrated.

I still agree they are a downgrade, but I think it;s a justified one imo.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
It is great to see that Marth was buffed in the new patch. Was his hitbox really that small in pre-patch? He could not hit at the very tip of his sword. He has received more buffs than just the range of his sword.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Oh hello, it's me, Luggy, that guy who keeps disappearing all the time and needs to buy a new premium upgrade.
What's going on here ? I'm just drawing stuff. I'll soon open an art blog (or tumblr, if you like saying the word "cancer"). Appart from that, nothing much.

So yeah, what's new ?

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Oh hello, it's me, Luggy, that guy who keeps disappearing all the time and needs to buy a new premium upgrade.
What's going on here ? I'm just drawing stuff. I'll soon open an art blog (or tumblr, if you like saying the word "cancer"). Appart from that, nothing much.

So yeah, what's new ?
Not really much.

Just lurking on the site.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Actually, I never made this devil advocate before about the spm pixl, but here we go :)

The things I disagree with most people about the spm hate is saying that they aren;t partner, they are because they basically do the same functionality as ttyd and pm64: be an help in overworld and battle that is always available via a switch mechanic. It;s that basic.

What i will agree is yes, they feel a downgraded version because they act more as utilities with onyl ONE thing that a lot of the time helps you more on overworld or battles.

But I was thinking about it and I considered....they pretty much couldn;t avopid it. See, spm is a real time battle system from rpg mixed with paltformer with classic mario. That's fine, but the key part is it's real time. To mix rpg with paltformer, I feel they pretty much for multiple reasons found real time much more attracting than turn based because on turn based....you are stuck to do specific command slowing down the pace while platformer is more active all the time.

So thinkng about this, the real time battle system has cool advantages, but has also its cons. The pros woudl be it;s so quick that you will msot likely not have frustration with repetitive, the "run away" feature is jsut ignoring here. It can provide closer immersion because you have to move all the time and do quicker decision. The cons however is that because you haver to do qucik and reactive decisions, this limits your strategy at a given time meaning that you do have less options and because of this, the attacks usually are reflecting this, it;s simpler and wuicker, but at the end, it jsut downgrades your strategy options somethignt he turn based system is famous to give so much options.

Add all this up and now I can see why they put the pixl the way they should: they were just being consistent. Of course, you are nto going to get this much strategy and options and I guess even dialogues (but that part could have been improved imo), but that;s not what i consider a flaw, more a compromise. And because i can logically see where they were goign from and it makes sense, I didn;t realyl think it was much problem, i mean I even enjoyed the fact the platformer side was so well integrated.

I still agree they are a downgrade, but I think it;s a justified one imo.
Well, all things considered, I don't hate the Pixls. I just think in the grand scope of things, they lack the overall appeal that the many partners have. But in going from RPG to platformer, like you said, partners aren't necessary to help you do battle with the many enemies in the levels since you aren't really doing battle. It's more maneuvering through linear stages in true platformer fashion, in which case something more suited to that type of gameplay was needed. So yeah, Pixls probably were the best solution in the transition. For what they were, the Pixls worked flawlessly. I had a lot of fun running around whacking things with Cudge, blowing stuff up with Boomer and blasting through stages with Dashell. Though some Pixls lost their usefulness outside of the chapters you found them in. Still, when compared directly, the Pixls seem somewhat lazy and barebones whereas the partners contain more of the essence of Paper Mario. They are in no way bad though.

D

Deleted member

Should we jump into version 7.0 once this thread hits the 2000 page milestone?

So yeah, what's new ?
Same here, I'm just creating this picture:

This Bayonetta image I'm creating has went through two design changes before I eventually settled on this particular one. I hope it pays off in the end, because I've been doing this for almost a month already. My current Dedede avatar was created simultaneously with the first version of this image.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Ive been lurking on this thread ever since it was made but I have been scared to post herez
I don't know why

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
IT'S-A MEEEEE

so how's everyone doing on this fabulous night/marvelous monday?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
IT'S-A MEEEEE

so how's everyone doing on this fabulous night/marvelous monday?
Ugh, I need to start watching this show. It looks like an Adventure Time-like show, but with all the randomness replaced with actual humor..

Is that what it actually is?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ugh, I need to start watching this show. It looks like an Adventure Time-like show, but with all the randomness replaced with actual humor..

Is that what it actually is?
My first impression of Gumball was that it was Western Animation's answer to Nichijou. :laugh:

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
I'm not usually the one to say a character is op but... christ... Bayo and Corrin sure feel that way for some reason. Also... no more patches.. so yeah...
I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't continue to patch the game....

Also, who here is ready for whenever Samurai Jack comes back?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@Flight and all yopu guys loving tech orbuilding pc......WHAT THE FREAK????

HOW THE HECK IS THIS PHISICALLY POSSIBLE?

The guy had to freraking put boxes right next to the fan to even have an increase in temperature......and honestly 77 isn;t this bad considering furmark is made to just......make your hardware work.

Well, this makes me happy becuase my case being an m atx one, it has....problem siwut cable stuff i dont; have space on the back, but I found enough clearence to have a very wide open area near the cpu and the fans near them so I have intake at the top and exhaust on the back with the cpu between both parts.

But seriously, I have no idea why it took this much.....

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

So yeah, what's new ?
Man...it´s so weird to see you without you're username in blue. 0_0 But i think it´s a question of time before it become normal to me. Also, i am good, in fact, today is my birthday!:D

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's weird how Tom's Grand Bluening both saved and killed this place.

Unrelated to this post, but did you make that Dolce avatar yourself? I Googled it because I really like the style of the picture but all hits I got were yours.
Didn't draw the image used, but I outlined it and threw that background behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom