• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 in Famitsu: Lucina, Robin, Captain Falcon, Kirby's Lucina Mask

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Guys, listen. There is no mention of anyone being cut! That was a mistranslation!

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
It's cool to know she actually started off as an alt. Confirms there HAS to be more.

PLEASE HAVE PEACH'S ALT BE DAISY SAKURAI PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I want to know who was cut! I think it was Snake.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I'm reading this right now, there is literally no mention of anyone being cut

10/10 for the person for rusing people who don't know moon speak

4/10 for the person trying to ruse the smash fan base.

Seriously, does the person claiming to say there's a cut honestly think the Japanese language is some elusive lost art such as Sanskrit and hieroglyphics? Hell, even then there are people in the US that know that.

Is this the persons way of doing damage control? At least make it less obvious, geeze

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915

"japanese bulletin boards" probably meaning 2ch, the biggest and most popular japanese board. anyone in japan can post stuff anonymously there (like there's no registration system or anything, it's basically like a text-only version of 4chan) and it's not reliable information at all. also, the person who found this info originally and posted it on neogaf went back and edited their post to remove it and say that it was "wrong" info.

edit: i realize i probably sound insulting, and that's not my intention, i just think people would be better off being skeptical of things until someone makes sure all the scans have been posted and a few reliable people have translated it instead of taking one person's word for truth right away.
Saw this thread earlier today and threw together a quick video based on that first translation on my phone during my lunch break.

BIG thanks to you Quarth for clarifying that the "cut character" part was probably bunk. Had I not seen this, I would have had that video up sans annotation and people would have thought the information was real. I made sure to drop a kudos to you in an annotation.

Regardless of that tidbit being incorrect, it still is awesome to hear that Lucina was originally just a skin for Marth that they decided to repurpose into a character because they knew Lucina has fans and that people would be happy to see her.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Even if the cut thing isn't true or is a misinterpretation, it's either Snake or Chrom.

But from the looks of the OP, Sakurai is bringing back all the characters from Brawl?

EDIT: Er...actually I think I confused myself. I thought the whole "Sakurai didn't want to reduce the total number of characters" meant he didn't want to make the Roster less than Brawl (which I hope is still the case), so he would bring back all the Brawl vets

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The only alts that make sense is Dark Pit. The mirror of Pandora or whatever makes him a carbon copy stat wise. Daisy, Birdo, Knux, ETC don't make any sense what so ever. Heck, I don't even agree with Lucina being an alt, unless it was just Marth with the mask to look like Lucina.

Color swaps to look like characters are fine (Yello Peach, Black Pit, ETC) but to actually make a character become someone else would be stupid imo.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
There is no mention of a character being cut...but you know...people lies...even Nintendo lies.

I don't think it's Chrom that may have been removed, but it is strange that Lucina ended up as a full clone.

We can think of her as a lucky last hour newcomer, alright, but there is a lot of characters on the list of "could be alt skins but would work fine as their own character". Why her? Why she get the special treatment?

I just think it's strange in Smash 4 we ended up getting a clone. If she was just extra work that didn't meddle with the original planned roster, that's ok. But if not, then she probably filled up a missing character in the last minute. Probably Snake....

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The only alts that make sense is Dark Pit. The mirror of Pandora or whatever makes him a carbon copy stat wise. Daisy, Birdo, Knux, ETC don't make any sense what so ever. Heck, I don't even agree with Lucina being an alt, unless it was just Marth with the mask to look like Lucina.

Color swaps to look like characters are fine (Yello Peach, Black Pit, ETC) but to actually make a character become someone else would be stupid imo.
I agree, I would much rather alts that are completely different characters get their own slots, even if they are complete clones. It just feels more professional. I really hope that all alts can technically be called the same name as the main character at the very least, which would make Dark Pit and Lucina okay.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Daisy, Birdo, Knux, ETC don't make any sense what so ever. .
Like I keep being reminded, Daisy started off as basically a Peach recolour, same as Luigi to Mario. Plus, she's always been a (popular) Peach recolour in the Smash games, so it makes perfect sense.

Never thought of Birdo as an alt, though.I think that would be a bit more difficult. All they have to do with Daisy is change the colour, puff up the face and shorten the hair.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Like I keep being reminded, Daisy started off as basically a Peach recolour, same as Luigi to Mario. Plus, she's always been a (popular) Peach recolour in the Smash games, so it makes perfect sense.

Never thought of Birdo as an alt, though.I think that would be a bit more difficult. All they have to do with Daisy is change the colour, puff up the face and shorten the hair.
So what? Daisy is her own character and shouldn't be considered as the same entity as Peach. Lucina is supposed to be Marth at points in Awakening, and Dark Pit is by cannon a carbon copy of Pit. Daisy isn't meant to be either of those. Peach could have Daisy's colors that's fine, you know to look like her. But by no means should she magically change into Daisy.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
But if Daisy was actually in, she would play nothing like Peach. No booty bumps or slappy slaps for her. But lets not get off topic.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Do anyone in this thread actually have an access to famitsu itself? Did anyone check Sakurai's column yet?

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
But if Daisy was actually in, she would play nothing like Peach. No booty bumps or slappy slaps for her. But lets not get off topic.
Daisy will never be a separate character in Smash, and even I, as a desperate fan, only know the best she will get (hopefully) is an alt. If that means literally being the exact same as Peach, I don't care. As long as she has her amazing voice that will do me just fine!

So was a character actually cut or what? Or was someone just trying to kill our brains?

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why Sakurai should talk about cut characters at all when the game isn't even out yet. That would only generate negative responses from the fanbases. He must not say anything in that regard, so he likely won't.

Yep, that Lucina started of as an alternate skin hints at more addition. I personally would like to see Fierce Dierty Link and Dry Bowser.

Last edited:

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
I agree, I would much rather alts that are completely different characters get their own slots, even if they are complete clones. It just feels more professional. I really hope that all alts can technically be called the same name as the main character at the very least, which would make Dark Pit and Lucina okay.
Unless you're referring to Lucina with a mask, you can't call her Marth. I'm guessing the alt skin was her with the mask on, though, as that was what most people thought she'd be until she was revealed.

edit: actually, reading the post you quoted, I realize I misinterpreted, my bad, haha.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I posted this in the Official Character thread,

Maybe he has a full list of all the newcomers:

First leak:

He predicted that these characters are possibly the new characters to be revealed, and he got 3 out of them right, and it's obvious that the character list in the first leak is E3 worthy.

Second leak:

He predicted the characters that might be included in the direct and listed them and he got one right, he didn't outright say that would be it for the roster, he just gave you a number of newcomers.

Third leak wasn't substantial.

So the leaker isn't aware of the time the character are revealed, Maybe in fact Sakurai is putting most of the workers in the dark about his reveals, so he concluded that Shulk would be the character revealed because he saw all the signs that we saw, and they were the same signs that we had with Little Mac, you can't blame for thinking it would be Shulk.

The article is supposed to show you that Sakurai is flimsy with his dicisions and now we know that Lucina was going to be Marth Alt until they decided to make her a standalone character, which had to do with something related to another character, that probably got cut because he was a low priority character and so they either had to make him a clone which will make people upset because they would think the character deserved something more than that. But if he cut the character and replaced him with Lucina who looks like a gender swap of Marth, than he can justify cloning her, The model for Chrom is even better than Lucina's!

It's my reason to believe that!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Eventhubs says this if anyone is interested:

"One very important detail that both the character reveal trailer and Sakurai left out, however, is that you can actually start a match as Lucina with her mask on. In fact, Lucina has a taunt that lets her put on or remove the mask, in a similar fashion to Guile's "sunglasses" taunt in Ultra Street Fighter 4. "

Source:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-drain-health-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
I'm going to have the mask on the whole match, then at the end take it off.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Eventhubs says this if anyone is interested:

"One very important detail that both the character reveal trailer and Sakurai left out, however, is that you can actually start a match as Lucina with her mask on. In fact, Lucina has a taunt that lets her put on or remove the mask, in a similar fashion to Guile's "sunglasses" taunt in Ultra Street Fighter 4. "

Source:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-drain-health-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/
I hope the same thing applies to Robin's hood.

Because hoods are cool and... wait... Robin's hood?

Well!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
A lot of Captain Falcon's moveset is revealed to be the same, so that's kind of nice.

His Final Smash looks similar as well. What is that stage he and Robin are fighting on??

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
What is that stage he and Robin are fighting on??
If you are talking about the image in the back rectangle, it's the Garden of Hope, of Pikmin.
This stage was already shown before.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice

Doesn't matter how "stupid" it is. Sakurai and staff were willing to do it with Lucina. Therefore it's a possibility and could possibly be in the game already. I would be surprised if we don't see any other Alt character costumes that represent a different character such as Daisy-Peach, Birdo-Yoshi and Sonic-Knuckles.

Why would it be stupid? It's not like the characters in Smash are 'true' to their physical origins hence the resizing of Olimar. Therefore the characters are not canon which would allow these characters to play like a similar character without any issues. Especially when the characters are extremely similar. I mean what does Peach really do that Daisy can't?

If anything this is an extremely smart play by Sakurai to allow fan favorite characters to join Smash even if they are almost identical. I can guarantee you won't see Daisy, Birdo or Knuckles in Smash as playable characters unless they are alt skins.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
It seems like lucina was a YOLO last minute sort of thing. it's not impossible that there may be more clones that came to be similarly to lucina, but I highly doubt it personally.

Of course with DLC in mind, there's a **** ton of alternate outfits and characters that could pop up.

One outfit I'm still hoping for is skyward sword link. <_>

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I am glad Lucina got her slot and not simply a Marth alt. Alternates of the same character, such as Dry Bowser, clothing changes, Dr Mario/Luigi, I am fine with. But forcing a different character into a slot such as Daisy-Peach, Impa-Sheik, Alph-Olimar just feels like a disservice to both characters, and when you clear classic mode, you are getting a trophy of Peach, not Daisy.
These characters could be so much more, so unique, they don't need to be re-skins.
Just my thoughts on this.
Also love Lucinas mask.
:160:

Famous

Smash Champion
As far as alts for sonic are concerned, I believe we would likely see Amy before we would see a knuckles alt

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As far as alts for sonic are concerned, I believe would would likely see Amy/Shadow before we would see a knuckles alt
I don't think the alternate costume talk about Sonic fits here, but why would Amy Rose be an alternate costume for Sonic? I understand Shadow, but Amy?

Top Bottom