• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 in Famitsu: Lucina, Robin, Captain Falcon, Kirby's Lucina Mask

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Depends, Luma looks to hardly have as complex an AI as Nana has.
And is also not as detailed as Nana would be graphically. So 4 Lumas on screen isn't as much of a strain as 8 Ice Climbers.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
As to the whole Ice Climbers thing, I think they'll be the last pic of the day reveal characters we'll get. Wario and Meta Knight could be revealed in trailers alongside other newcomers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just to clarify, I do still think ICs are in of course, but I won't rule out the slight possiblity.

EDIT: Turns out the cut character thing might be bogus, calm your horses.

Last edited:

Jay2K

Smash Rookie
I think the Smash Bros. series will always have to deal with clone characters. While, of course, no one wants the roster to be flooded with carbon copies of pre-existing characters, I don't think there will be a Smash Bros. game that lacks at least one set of clones.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This has absolutely no bearing on the fact that the leak was fake.

Chrom still isn't in, Robin still is. As we know, all characters were chosen from the start.

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how Lucina used to be an alt skin for Marth, this information gives me hope that we will se a wide variety of characters as alternates! This could go for Daisy (Peach), Dark Pit (pit), Birdo (Yoshi), and who knows maybe even a Chrom outfit for Ike? Yeah yeah. . . I know this probably is a little too much, but it really is possible. Certain characters that are considered "clones" really do have a chance, even if it's for an alternate costume! :D

Really interesting to see how Sakurai thinks, and feels, about certain scenarios during development. Plus Kirby's Lucina's mask. . . priceless! :D

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
No - Immortal said Lucina was once a Marth skin.
So I'm wondering if we'll see, for example, a Daisy skin (where it's actually Daisy) for Peach or something.
Lucina is different than Daisy, because for a portion of the game she was basically Marth. Lucina and Marth have an extremely close relation to each other. Peach and Daisy are straight up different characters.

Chrom still isn't in, Robin still is. As we know, all characters were chosen from the start.
The leak is not "fake" it just got something wrong. There are many instances where legit leaks got things wrong. Especially when it comes to Pokemon.

Last edited:

Immortal

Smash Cadet
Again, for clarity, there are now multiple translations saying there is no mention of a cut character. That part appears to have been a mistake. Sorry.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
So I don't know about you guys, but the most interesting part of this is that Sakurai planned on having Lucina as an alt skin.... This opens the doors of possibility for all/other characters to get alt skins AND for the skins to reference other characters in the franchise.

Think Chunky Kong as a DK skin.
Daisy as Peach.
Bandana dee as Kirby.
Sonic as knuckles.
And so many more. I'm so hype!!!!!!!!!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So I don't know about you guys, but the most interesting part of this is that Sakurai planned on having Lucina as an alt skin.... This opens the doors of possibility for all/other characters to get alt skins AND for the skins to reference other characters in the franchise.

Think Chunky Kong as a DK skin.
Daisy as Peach.
Bandana dee as Kirby.
Sonic as knuckles.
And so many more. I'm so hype!!!!!!!!!
I agree with everything but Bandana Dee. He should have his own moveset, I don't even know how a Skin would be possible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Plus, the leaker said the day before the reveal that it'd be Shulk. Are we just going to forget that?
Apparantly.

I don't get why people are so desperate to cling to this leak? Any other leak would have been disregarded with as much false info that the Gematsu gave us/didn't give us.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Apparantly.

I don't get why people are so desperate to cling to this leak? Any other leak would have been disregarded with as much false info that the Gematsu gave us/didn't give us.
When you believe something is real for so long it is hard to let go for some people

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Apparantly.

Three strike rule:

X - No Rosalina

X - No Chrom

X - No Shulk Reveal

X - Robin Revealed

X - No Lucina Mention

I do not believe this leak anymore.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Yesterday I posted this in the Lucina subforum:

I have an strange theory: Chrom was originally planned as the Fire Emblem character of this game, but Sakurai and his team seeing the people's opinions about him since last year/months made them change their mind about his inclusion, and instead they changed Chrom for Robin. Remember the main argument of the community against Chrom is 'oh not just another blue-haired SWORDSMAN from Fire Emblem', also the whole internet considering Chrom's inclusion a fact thanks to the Gematsu leak caused a lot of hate against him, and if you remember there was stated at E3 that there are people from Nintendo among us (Smashboards and other videogame sites), so maybe knowing this the development team changed their mind and decided to include Lucina as a 'last minute replacement', making her a clone cause they didn't have the time to develop a whole new character having wasted Chrom.
But maybe they finished Lucina before planned and had still some time, so they included Robin, if you payed attention you may remember him stating during his trailer 'I am no ordinary swordsman', making a reference of how people didn't want another swordmand from FE. And Chrom defeated on the floor 'having his chance another day'. But his model was already complete, so they decided to use him as a part of Robin's Final Smash.
If this supposed change of plans ocurred it could have been during the last few months, as they even had to make a CGI trailer for them.
Yeah, this may sound far-fetched for some of you, but I think it could be a possibility.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Except one of the chosen characters was cut and replaced by a clone last minute, so it wouldn't matter when they were chosen. Waiting for a better translation in any case.

Edit: seems like the consensus is it was a bad initial translation.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
If Chrom were a unique character, I don't see why they wouldn't have given Lucina his move set since they have similar fighting styles. So that means if he was cut, he would have also been a clone of Marth.

And when you debate whether or not to make Chrom or Lucina the Marth clone, Lucina is much more appropriate (plus it adds an extra female rep). So regardless it sounds like Sakurai made the right call.

Also wouldn't Chrom have made a more appropriate final smash for Lucina?

Last edited:

quarth

Smash Rookie
yeah, there is absolutely nothing on the scans saying anything related to characters being cut. the person on neogaf who posted that stuff in the first place only got that info from "japanese messageboards" so it has about as much credence as something posted on 4chan.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So if the cut character thing wasn't real.

Where did that info come from?

yeah, there is absolutely nothing on the scans saying anything related to characters being cut. the person on neogaf who posted that stuff in the first place only got that info from "japanese messageboards" so it has about as much credence as something posted on 4chan.
Okay then.

So where did they get that info?

They may be on to something here.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Love kircina (Lucirby?) and I don't think Chrom was cut (I don't think any character was cut) it just wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to cut Chrom for a less unique character.

It doesn't say anything good about Cap Falcon?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Apparently the first translator got his info from Japanese forums, he probably mixed things up somehow with speculation.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This article also proves that Shulk was never planned for Monday's reveal.

So Gematsu is wrong on that one completely and has no excuses for "last minute switch".

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There's still a little time before release, so I'm hoping Sakurai can change at least one of her animations... Or at least tweak more of her stats so that she isn't just a weaker Marth.

Last edited:

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I think this definitely does support the Gematsu leak if Chrom was the one who got cut. But that is something we'll never know. He's got a model and the fact that Lucina was the one used to compensate could be used as evidence for the leak. The Gematsu leak never stated either that the characters revealed were the only newcomers left in the game. Being 8/11 on newcomer reveals thus far is not bad and the only one who he missed out on was Chrom when he revealed the list. It could really go both ways.

I'm someone who supports the leak heavily because Shulk so I'm biased. There's a lot of good evidence against the leak, however, but I think in this case, the Famitsu article does support the leak.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Yes, but many people theorized that the reason the Gematsu leak didn't know which XY Pokémon was in, and didn't know wether Lucas or Ness would be cut, was because the information was outdated.

If Chrom was indeed planned and cut during development, this would make Chrom being on the leak and not being in make sense, and the leak could still be true.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
This article also proves that Shulk was never planned for Monday's reveal.

So Gematsu is wrong on that one completely and has no excuses for "last minute switch".

Wouldn't it take quite some time to upload a video anyways, going on youtube taking forever to upload any video logic.

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Who was cut...Chorus Kids...
Lucina is different than Daisy, because for a portion of the game she was basically Marth. Lucina and Marth have an extremely close relation to each other. Peach and Daisy are straight up different characters.

The leak is not "fake" it just got something wrong. There are many instances where legit leaks got things wrong. Especially when it comes to Pokemon.
Lucina still is a different character though - however, I'll agree that they share more similarities than Daisy and Peach.
Seems like Sakurai opened the flood gates by breaking the "Alts aren't actually different people" thing.

quarth

Smash Rookie

Okay then.

So where did they get that info?

They may be on to something here.

"japanese bulletin boards" probably meaning 2ch, the biggest and most popular japanese board. anyone in japan can post stuff anonymously there (like there's no registration system or anything, it's basically like a text-only version of 4chan) and it's not reliable information at all. also, the person who found this info originally and posted it on neogaf went back and edited their post to remove it and say that it was "wrong" info.

edit: i realize i probably sound insulting, and that's not my intention, i just think people would be better off being skeptical of things until someone makes sure all the scans have been posted and a few reliable people have translated it instead of taking one person's word for truth right away.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Anyway, having her overwrite a vacant slot does make sense in terms of programming. If a resource no longer exists, anything that points to that location will start getting confused and glitching. That's what it means to dummy something out - putting garbage data onto a removed element to prevent errors.

This isn't calling Lucina garbage (though she really is as of yesterday's PotD) - most games import blank resources and redirects onto the vacant slot, so putting in something that functions (albeit barely) is unusual. And it's not unlike what Project M did with Mewtwo and Roy (except they did it a lot cleaner).

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
If Chrom was changed, then why didn't the leaker tell us? He couldn't have been worried about being caught, since he sent sal another email a few days ago.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
There's clamoring for Daisy alts for Peach, Knuckles for Sonic, etc...

Did no one pay attention to yesterdays Pic of the Day?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
It doesn't say anything about a cut, where are you pulling this information from? Did someone "translate it" and decide to mess with everyone?

Last edited:
Top Bottom