• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIMON BELMONT: Castlevania's First Vampire Slaying Whip-Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ok, so i support Simon, i love Castlevania series and its one of those classic gaming franchises that has a long histoy with Nintendo, and while im not much familiar witth Simon as with Soma, or Alucard, he could be the best in representing Castlevania in SSB4.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like both Soma and Alucard... but Simon really represents classic Castlevania and the series' relationship with Nintendo and he's guest starred in more things than any other Castlevania character.

In any case, it's an iconic series that I played a lot on the NES, and I'd love to see some representation.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Smashboards Train BIDOOF used MAX REVIVE.

SIMON BELMONT SUPPORT THREAD's health was fully restored!

Seeing as these days Castlevania is a shell of its former self and they'll probably insist on the lords of shadow design I'd have to say no.
I'm pretty sure that Sakurai would get to determine the design. Seeing what he did with Mega Man, I could see Sakurai making a whole new design based on his sprite and art from Castlevania 1 or Simon's Quest, like how he didn't directly copy Mega Man's official artwork, but made a whole new design based off of the sprite we all know and love.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm pretty sure that Sakurai would get to determine the design. Seeing what he did with Mega Man, I could see Sakurai making a whole new design based on his sprite and art from Castlevania 1 or Simon's Quest, like how he didn't directly copy Mega Man's official artwork, but made a whole new design based off of the sprite we all know and love.
That'd be so awesome.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
2012 Design, yes, Give him to me.
He and Rosalina can be hair-over-the-one-eye buddies

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
2012 Design, yes, Give him to me.
He and Rosalina can be hair-over-the-one-eye buddies
His 2012 design is just terrifying.....
It seems a bit dark for Smash.

As I said, I'd prefer a new design based off of his classic self. Maybe something along the lines of this:
image.jpg

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
His 2012 design is just terrifying.....
It seems a bit dark for Smash.

As I said, I'd prefer a new design based off of his classic self. Maybe something along the lines of this:
View attachment 9968
It is also, kickass.
and could work as well in Smash as something based off his original design.

As long we can agree that gut-wrenching awful design from the Castlevania fighting game should never be brought up again, I'm fine with whichever.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Simon's Mirror of fate design is sick. I would like to see that one. But his original design would be pretty awesome to see too. Anyway, what would his Final Smash be? I'm thinking a reference to the "Item Crash" that some of the other Belmont's can do seems reasonable enough. I can see Simon using a few of the other Belmont's attacks actually, I know Richter had a Slide Kick and someone else had a Dive Kick, so there's that. Of course, Simon would mostly use stuff from the first few games, like the Axes, Daggers, and Holy Water.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Simon's Mirror of fate design is sick. I would like to see that one. But his original design would be pretty awesome to see too. Anyway, what would his Final Smash be? I'm thinking a reference to the "Item Crash" that some of the other Belmont's can do seems reasonable enough. I can see Simon using a few of the other Belmont's attacks actually, I know Richter had a Slide Kick and someone else had a Dive Kick, so there's that. Of course, Simon would mostly use stuff from the first few games, like the Axes, Daggers, and Holy Water.
Seeing Simon with the slide kick would be pretty slick... probably as his dash attack, since I would want his down tilt to be him kneeling and whipping to keep that classic touch. If he grabbed a bunch of things from throughout the series (especially things that other Belmonts did) would work out quite well.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My take on Simon's moveset, originally posted in the Castlevania character's thread. I mixed in a few of Richter's moves as all Belmonts have similar fighting styles and the moves fit Simon. I was careful to make the movelist whip heavy (no punching) and to include all the sub weapons from the original Castlevania.

Simon Belmont's Movelist:

A: Whip Combo. Tapping A results in the standard whip combo from Castlevania Judgement.

A-Side: Over head whip attack. Comes in at an angle, has further range then all but the last attack of the whip combo.

A-up: Vertical Whip Strike. A whip strike straight up into the air, like in Super Castlevania

A-down: Slide kick.

Side Smash: Flame Whip -Castlevania 2's ultimate whip and a (temporary) power up to the Vampire Killer Whip in its other appearances. Hold the whip back and charge it with holy energy, lighting it on fire. The longer you hold the whip the stronger the fire effect.

Up Smash: Axe toss. Toss a battle axe above you, it will descend in a slow arc.

Down Smash: Holy water. Toss a bottle of holy water below you. The bottle will explode into blue flames damaging enemies on both sides of you.

Air Neutral: Spin Kick (See Richter's move's from Harmony of Despair)

Fair: Forward whip strike.

Bair: Reverse Whip Strike

Uair: Vertical whip strike

Dair: Downward whip strike (the air moves might be boring, but they stay true to Super Castlevania, which is probably Simon's most beloved appearance)

B: Dagger. Throws a quick, light damage projectile in front of you. Fairly spammable.

B-Side: Cross boomerang. Throws a slow moving but hard hitting projectile. Moves forward and then backwards in a straight line

B-Up: Upper cut (See Richter's move's from Harmony of Despair - Simon does a similar move in Judgment with more visual flair, it could be based on that move visually )

B-Down: Whip "Shield" - Spin the vampire hunter whip around you rapidly, reflecting all projectiles (at an angle, not back towards your opponent) and dealing small amounts of damage with no knockback at a rapid pace. Move originates in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

Dash Attack: Tackle (See Richter's move's from Harmony of Despair)

Final Smash: Stop Watch - everyone but Simon is held in place, making it easy for Simon to go up to them and knock them out. Other options include item crashes and the powered up flame whip, which would make all whip attacks hit as hard as a fully charged side smash.

The whip will be used for grabs and tether recovery. Simon should also be able to crawl and whip at the same time, like in Super Castlevania.

Harmony of Despair for Reference (Richter's moves)

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Simon is definitely tops my most wanted 3rd party character list, even though I believe Pac-Man is probably more deserving. I wouldn't even be upset it he usurped Snake's spot.

Castlevania was a Nintendo institution on the NES and SNES, and remains to be one on the Nintendo portables. The move set potential is definitely there, and the music remixes would be godly.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It really is sad, but nobody thinks it has any chance of happening.

Unless Kojima decides to beg Sakurai for Simon Belmont instead...

Smady

Smash Master
If the rumours are true about Konami rebooting classic CastleVania, Simon has a good shot for Smash 5. Just a shame it couldn't happen sooner, but now IGA is leaving the company, those rumours seem a lot more flat. I hope for the best, though, Simon's a great character from a great series.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ooh, rebooting classic CastleVania? I wonder if they're going to make it a bit more accessible... If it was just a graphical update, I think gamers of today would kind of hate the controls and physics. It's, perhaps, a lot more punishing than games these days.

Regardless, I'm always ready to see a new Simon character design!

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I personally think Simon is a much better Konami rep in Smash than Snake. He makes a lot more sense, he has a stronger history with Nintendo and you still see Castlevania games appear on Nintendo systems where as MGS... not so much. I've always thought of Castlevania as the "Nintendo side" of Konami while Metal Gear Solid is the "Sony side".

If Snake is still in, there's no way we'll see Simon. And if i were to choose, definitely Simon.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would love to see both. I really like Snake as well... that being saidddd, go team Belmont!

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If the rumours are true about Konami rebooting classic CastleVania, Simon has a good shot for Smash 5. Just a shame it couldn't happen sooner, but now IGA is leaving the company, those rumours seem a lot more flat. I hope for the best, though, Simon's a great character from a great series.
What? I thought Smash 3DS and Wii U would have the same characters? :troll:

But seriously, I support. I really think, out of all video game franchises, Nintendo buying Castlevannia and Mega Man, along with Bomberman, would be the bomb.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Ooh, rebooting classic CastleVania? I wonder if they're going to make it a bit more accessible... If it was just a graphical update, I think gamers of today would kind of hate the controls and physics. It's, perhaps, a lot more punishing than games these days.

Regardless, I'm always ready to see a new Simon character design!
I don't know what they'd do if a reboot was developed, but I think there is a contingent of players who like difficulty games, as long as it's fair. If they could tap into that part of the install base and the starved CastleVania, I think they could do very well. All they really need to do is create a quality game. I'd also like to see a new design of Simon that isn't from Judgement, just a typical badass Simon.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I hate how people are remembering IGA Castlevania games as these wonderful, perfect things. Dude was reusing 15 year old sprites until the very end, and he was killing the Metroidvania concept he helped create with the WONDERFUL Symphony of the Night with these derivative games. He also completely killed platforming in Castlevania. OOE was a step in the right direction, but I was glad someone else was taking Castlevania over... even if LoS wasn't all that great. Super pumped to see yet another take on it, hopefully something that takes a little bit more from the NES and SNES games.

Mostly I want to see Simon's what, 7th redesign?

Smady

Smash Master
I wasn't a fan of when IGA started going for a more derivative anime art style, that's about when I lost interest in following the games. I'd most want to see a legitimate classic, 2D-style CastleVania reboot that has fun combat, plenty of platforming and varied enemy design. Although IGA's games to me are a better inspiration for future games than LoS or other spin-offs. He got plenty of things right even if he rehashed hard near the end.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
-throws up in mouth- Th-That Castlevania Judgment design...good lord.

Not even a big Castlevania fan, and I would still love to see Simon.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wasn't a fan of when IGA started going for a more derivative anime art style, that's about when I lost interest in following the games. I'd most want to see a legitimate classic, 2D-style CastleVania reboot that has fun combat, plenty of platforming and varied enemy design. Although IGA's games to me are a better inspiration for future games than LoS or other spin-offs. He got plenty of things right even if he rehashed hard near the end.
I don't disagree. The problem with IGA and Castlevania is that it didn't evolve. He kept trying to recreate Symphony of the Night and by the time he got close it was getting really, really, boring. The sad thing about it was Symphony felt way more like a Castlevania spin off when it first came out. It didn't play like the previous games and it didn't star a Belmont. The other issue I had was just how pretty boy looking the character designs for the Belmonts were. I don't really have an issue with pretty boy protagonists (love me some Devil May Cry) but that's never what the Belmonts were about. It worked for Alucard and Soma, but Juste's design makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Lords of Shadow.... wasn't TERRIBLE, it just wasn't Castlevania enough. They wanted so much to stay away from classic Castlevania designs that the game felt generic. I love the design for Gabriel (it's very much reminiscent of Simon's Castlevania 2 sprite) but the game would have been SO much better with some floating Medusa heads, some Merman, and a few remixed Casltevania tunes.

The Lords of Shadow games kind of remind me of the Michael Bay Transformers movies. Both start their first installment the same way (in my opinion.) They start with a new take on a franchise I love, they make a few questionable decisions, stray a little too far from the source material, and try too hard to appeal to the "bro" crowd. Ultimately, though, the universes they create are solid and have a chance to really be special in future installments. The first movie/game created a foundation that could have been used to reintroduce old concepts in fun yet familiar ways. Yet, what we got after..... eh.....

Smady

Smash Master
I don't disagree. The problem with IGA and Castlevania is that it didn't evolve. He kept trying to recreate Symphony of the Night and by the time he got close it was getting really, really, boring. The sad thing about it was Symphony felt way more like a Castlevania spin off when it first came out. It didn't play like the previous games and it didn't star a Belmont. The other issue I had was just how pretty boy looking the character designs for the Belmonts were. I don't really have an issue with pretty boy protagonists (love me some Devil May Cry) but that's never what the Belmonts were about. It worked for Alucard and Soma, but Juste's design makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Lords of Shadow.... wasn't TERRIBLE, it just wasn't Castlevania enough. They wanted so much to stay away from classic Castlevania designs that the game felt generic. I love the design for Gabriel (it's very much reminiscent of Simon's Castlevania 2 sprite) but the game would have been SO much better with some floating Medusa heads, some Merman, and a few remixed Casltevania tunes.

The Lords of Shadow games kind of remind me of the Michael Bay Transformers movies. Both start their first installment the same way (in my opinion.) They start with a new take on a franchise I love, they make a few questionable decisions, stray a little too far from the source material, and try too hard to appeal to the "bro" crowd. Ultimately, though, the universes they create are solid and have a chance to really be special in future installments. The first movie/game created a foundation that could have been used to reintroduce old concepts in fun yet familiar ways. Yet, what we got after..... eh.....
Oh I totally agree. I don't want the pretty boy designs or edgy designs, I don't mind them, but CastleVania should have a more classical approach to design. I just wonder if there are any producers at konami who understand that, especially when Kojima is a large part of that publisher and his recent take on CastleVania was so... Michael Bay, as you put it. All CastleVania needs, in my opinion, is a simple, but interesting new hook, with good design and it'd have a chance of selling very well. Something original without abandoning what the series is all about, like LoS. It's not that hard.

And yes, the Judgement designs are the absolute low point. LoS doesn't seem bad by comparison.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Simon's a great 3rd-party candidate. He's iconic, represents a very-well known series that has been on Nintendo systems for years, has great moveset potential, and, this probably doesn't mean much, but he would complete the Captain N trio with Pit and Mega Man. The only big obstacle he faces is Snake.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who else have all Castlevania games from Wii Virtual Console? I have all three NES games, the SNES game, and the TG16 game. I also have the WiiWare game, you know ReBirth? I was disappointed that they didn't release the Genesis game... I never played it but I always wanted to... and I also wanted them to release the N64 games... I had childhood memories playing those games and I did beat Legacy of Darkness at least two times.

Hopefully the Wii U eShop will have all the GBA and DS games. I just love the Castlevania series so much. I love vampire movies, werewolf movies (**** Twilight for ruining vampires and werewolves), ghost movies, and zombie movies.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's funny, Simon is the most well known Belmont but of all the big ones he has the least impact on the plot. Still I like the version from Lords of Shadow that actually gave him a personality. I think the ideal Smash Simon would take some cues from what they did with Mega Man, take his original design and update it instead of dealing with the problems of later ones.

With Snake's Smash future in doubt I'd pick him as the Konami rep any day.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Simon is probobly the character I want the most in Smash, not just because he would be great to play as, but also because we would then get the true NES reunion (and now that LOS storyline has ended they shouldnt care too much about using the origial design).

Plus, Ninty already cooperated with Konami to get Snake in, so that window is always open (I mean whats stops Sakurai from calling Kojima and be all like ,,Dude, would you do me a SOLID and tell your boss to call me about including Simon in Smash?'' ,,Sure thing man, were BROS after all'')

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Can't believe it's taken me this long to see this thread. Aside from Megaman, Simon is my absolute most wanted 3rd party. Heck, he's one of my most wanted period. Let's hope it's not a horrible night to not be in Smash Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that Smash 4 has both classic Mega Man and classic Pac-Man... Smash 5 needs to have classic Simon Belmont. Sakurai has proven that he can take third-party characters when they were in their prime during the NES era and make them work in Smash as fun and unique fighters.

Simon Belmont for Smash 5!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Not Simon related, but this is my favorite Minibosses CV melody:

Even if SImon gets in, wish the level 1 music from CV III makes it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
highly unlikely, but damn it would be amazing
and dunno why people are hating its MoF design, it's actually pretty good. Simon, Alucard and Dracula designs were winners... to bad the plot sucked on the second :c

But yeah, i would also go for a more classic design, maybe MoF as an alternate? 2 things that simon need to have Imo for getting the iconic feel is barbarian-esque feel and red(ish) hair. but if they go with the blond simon and have the red haired simon as an alt color i wouldnt be really upset though. (Heck, the blue color could be a haunted castle pallete, just for **** and giggles : D)

I really like snake, and i hate the idea of being cut, but Simon would be the only character i would be happy to replace snake D:

if it got revealed, i wouldn't know if I would be more excited for simon, or for the obligatory castlevania stage it would follow...

Just imagine a temple-esque Castlevania stage :0

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We need to start supporting for classic NES/SNES-style Simon Belmont for Smash 5 now. I know it is too early but we have about 5-8 years to gather supporters and make Simon Belmont the number one most-wanted third-party character for Smash 5. I want Nintendo, Konami, and Sakurai to recognize that by the time Smash 5 development begins. We need to spread out to Twitter, Facebook, and various gaming forums.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
We need to start supporting for classic NES/SNES-style Simon Belmont for Smash 5 now. I know it is too early but we have about 5-8 years to gather supporters and make Simon Belmont the number one most-wanted third-party character for Smash 5. I want Nintendo, Konami, and Sakurai to recognize that by the time Smash 5 development begins. We need to spread out to Twitter, Facebook, and various gaming forums.
Yes he will become our next Megaman/Sonic. He makes so much sense even better were if we could get him in as dlc if he is not in this cut.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We need to come up with arguments and counter arguments to support Simon Belmon's inclusion in Smash 5.

Why Simon Belmont and not other Castlevania characters?

Why should Castlevania get a playable character?

What can Simon Belmont do? Is he unique?

Which version of Simon Belmont would fit in Smash?

And the toughest question to answer... why Simon Belmont and not Snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom