• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIMON BELMONT: Castlevania's First Vampire Slaying Whip-Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have a strong feeling that it is too late to support Simon Belmont now... and that he isn't getting in SSB4. Mega Man had supporters since 2006 and the fan support finally paid off in 2013. If we want Simon Belmont in SSB5, we better start supporting him now. Eventually, the support should hopefully grow in time for SSB5 to be announced in maybe 2020 (for the next console after Wii U).

I truly think it would be awesome to see Simon with his NES animations (and SNES animations for the 8-direction whipping and tether recovery) in Smash just like Mega Man has his NES animations.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have a strong feeling that it is too late to support Simon Belmont now... and that he isn't getting in SSB4. Mega Man had supporters since 2006 and the fan support finally paid off in 2013. If we want Simon Belmont in SSB5, we better start supporting him now. Eventually, the support should hopefully grow in time for SSB5 to be announced in maybe 2020 (for the next console after Wii U).

I truly think it would be awesome to see Simon with his NES animations (and SNES animations for the 8-direction whipping and tether recovery) in Smash just like Mega Man has his NES animations.

Yeah, he's not astoundingly likely. Sure, Konami's contributed a third party character before, but... the alternate way to say that is "Konami's contributed a third party character already."

All the same, Castlevania has had tons of games on Nintendo systems, perhaps rivaling Sonic, even. The Belmonts are certainly deserving of inclusion... Maybe next game Simon will be considered one of the biggest contenders for a third party spot, but he's facing some tough competition at the moment.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Though I've never played Castlevania (I know, I know), I know his place in history is prominent. I fully support the idea of him being included.

grizby2

Smash Lord
after seeing the wii fit trainer, I think Belmont would be a sight for sore eyes for ALOT of people. hes definitely smash material.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Seeing as these days Castlevania is a shell of its former self and they'll probably insist on the lords of shadow design I'd have to say no.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Seeing as these days Castlevania is a shell of its former self and they'll probably insist on the lords of shadow design I'd have to say no.

Aww, I like his grizzly design with the giant demonhead girdle. Well, in any case, maybe he'd get alternate costumes so you wouldn't be stuck with one of his designs you dislike. :)

It probably is true that Castlevania's a bit on the decline. I haven't played many of the newer games, though I do know that the Game Boy ones were actually rather well-received.

Oh, huh...
Lord of shadows got a metacritic rating of 85% on the PS3, that's actually pretty good, much better than I thought.
Well, hopefully Castlevania's making a comeback! :D

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Aww, I like his grizzly design with the giant demonhead girdle. Well, in any case, maybe he'd get alternate costumes so you wouldn't be stuck with one of his designs you dislike. :)

It probably is true that Castlevania's a bit on the decline. I haven't played many of the newer games, though I do know that the Game Boy ones were actually rather well-received.

Oh, huh...
Lord of shadows got a metacritic rating of 85% on the PS3, that's actually pretty good, much better than I thought.
Well, hopefully Castlevania's making a comeback! :D

Metacritic doesn't mean jack my friend.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Being a fan of Castlevania I wouldn't say no to Simon [I like Richter more but haha that happening no way]. Also the Captain N trio would be completed. A worthy goal. Obviously

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Metacritic doesn't mean jack my friend.

Well, the critics' side of metacritic gave it 85% and the user side gave it 81%. If you can't trust the combined opinions of hundreds of professional and unprofessional players, I'm not really sure what a good metric is without playing the game for yourself.

Completing the Captain N trio would just be awesome.
... especially if they got their cartoon forms as alternate costumes.

Simon Belmont... Slayer of Ancient Vampires and World War II Pilot

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well, the critics' side of metacritic gave it 85% and the user side gave it 81%. If you can't trust the combined opinions of hundreds of professional and unprofessional players, I'm not really sure what a good metric is without playing the game for yourself.

Completing the Captain N trio would just be awesome.
... especially if they got their cartoon forms as alternate costumes.

Number scores in general mean very little. What's an 80 to some may be a 60 to others. It's a bad way to research a game's quality.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I would love to see Simon! If he gets in, I hope he gets his NES animations like Megaman.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
A design like this would totally fit into the Smash universe:

Simon would be a great trade off for Snake, showing that while Metal Gear has moved to a new home,Konami and Nintendo still have a good working relationship.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love to see Simon! If he gets in, I hope he gets his NES animations like Megaman.
That would be perfect. It would be so cool to see Simon whipping and jumping the way his NES animations do. Of course he will need to use his SNES animations for his 8 direction whipping. ;)

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Would certainly make a hell of a lot more sense then Snake or Pac-man given Castlevania's history on Nintendo platforms. I think Simon would definitely make a solid 3rd party choice.

And of course it would bring a plethora of awesome music into Smash. That alone would make it worth it.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Yup! Megaman got his 8 direction attack, so I'm sure Simon would get the same treatment.

Hong

The Strongest
Simon is a case where, compared to a lot of third party characters, he actually had an important place on Nintendo back in the day, and his fighting style and tools would translate so, so well into Smash Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Would certainly make a hell of a lot more sense then Snake or Pac-man given Castlevania's history on Nintendo platforms. I think Simon would definitely make a solid 3rd party choice.

And of course it would bring a plethora of awesome music into Smash. That alone would make it worth it.
Pac-Man also has history with Nintendo, too. There are Pac-Man games on the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and Wii. Miyamoto made Pac-Man Vs. for the Gamecube. Pac-Man was in Mario Kart Arcade GP games.

I still want both Pac-Man and Simon Belmont. ;)

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Simon Belmont would be badass, I tell you what. He's definitely got the potential for a moveset and the music he would bring would be mondo. Yup.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Let me see... EVENT MATCH!

Title: The Game Masters
Playable Character: Pit
Teammates: Simon Belmont, Mega Man
Enemy: Donkey Kong

Look Out-Icus! Donkey Kong's escaped from Kongo Land! Use the Mega-Awesome powers to save Video Land!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think Simon Belmont would fit well with the retro character theme if that is the direction of the character adds. He has more of a place in smash than Snake in terms of Nintendo history.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I generally like the moveset and want Simon in the game, However:

While I like the inclusion of item crashing they sound seriously OP, and I'm not sure about making everything a charge attack, seems a bit too much; even though he should be defensive with that whip.

The stopwatch isn't really iconic of castlevania, it's in the games sure, but it was in a lot of games in those days, castlevania just happened not to let it go. I'm not sure what else to give him, except maybe Agunea (Ness and Lucas are proof you can use moves in smash you couldn't outside). Alternately, part of me wants a reference to 'WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE' as his final smash, but I have no idea what it would actually do.

Either way, still want Simon in the game, and it is a cool moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking of a Castlevania stage... I would like something from the NES games... maybe the first level of the original games.... it could be big like Hyrule Temple but not big like New Pork City... like how the stage layout is based on the Palaces in Zelda II... maybe the stage layout of the Castlevania stage would be based on the first level!

On the left side is the exterior from Block 1-1 and just beyond that door is the interior from Block 1-1... on the right side is the interior from Block 1-3... that's the boss room... and under both sides is the underwater dungeon from Block 1-2 with the fishmen.

The stage would have a day and night cycle from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest... so when it's daytime, there are no enemies serving as hazards... when it's nighttime, enemies like zombies, bats, hellhounds, and fishmen appear in their respective areas... and the giant bat appear in the boss room... what a horrible night to have a curse, indeed!

The name of the stage would have to be "Castlevania" because that's the name of Dracula's castle.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I have, unfortunately, never played Castlevania. Though a whip user would provide a very unique playstyle that I very much support.
Simon seems like a good fit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I came up with a moveset for Simon Belmont... it is entirely based on the NES/SNES games... and I picture Simon doing these moves with his NES/SNES sprite animations.

A
Simon whips forward once... it is that simple.

Hold A + Move Stick
Simon whips forward once... and then lets his whip dangle... then you move the stick to make Simon whip some more... it is kinda like Sheik's Chain... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

Running + A
Simon tosses up to three daggers while running... this is based on having the Triple Shot power-up while using the Dagger sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games.

Side + A
Simon whips forward once but the whip has a longer reach... this is based on the second Morning Star upgrade in the NES/SNES games.

Up + A
Simon whips upward once... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

Down + A
Simon whips downward diagonally once... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

Smash Side + A
Simon glows as if he got a Whip upgrade... and then he whips forward once... but a fireball flies out from the tip of the whip... the fireball has a good knockback like Lucas's PK Fire... this is based on the Flame Whip upgrade in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

Smash Up + A
Simon throws an axe upward and it flies in a steep curve... it goes up then it goes down... this is based on the Axe sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games.

Smash Down + A
Simon throws a bottle of holy water at the ground in front of himself... the bottle breaks into flames that burns the opponent repeatedly like Ness's PK Fire... this is based on the Holy Water sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games.

Aerial A
Simon jumps and whips forward once... Simon does this a lot in the NES games.

Aerial Forward + A
Simon jumps and throws two daggers forward... this is based on having the Double Shot power-up while using the Dagger sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games.

Aerial Backward + A
Simon jumps and throws a bottle of holy water behind him... the bottle breaks into flames when it hits an opponent or the ground... the flames burn repeatedly like Ness's PK Fire... this is based on the Holy Water sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games.

Aerial Up + A
Simon jumps and whips upward once... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

Aerial Down + A
Simon jumps and whips downward once... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

B - Triple Shot Cross
Simon throws a boomerang like Link's Boomerang... however he cannot throw boomerangs diagonally like Link does... but he can throw up to three boomerangs at a time... this is based on using the Triple Shot power-up while using the Cross sub-weapon in the NES/SNES games... especially useful against Dracula in Super Castlevania IV.

Side + B - Diamond Deflect
Simon throws a diamond diagonally downward... but then the diamond bounces off any surface... Simon can only have one diamond out at a time... this is based on the Diamond sub-weapon in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest... it was also known as the Rebound Stone in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... but this version deflects projectiles... imagine that, a projectile that deflects projectiles!

Up + B - Grapple Swing
Simon uses the whip as a tether recovery if he whips onto the ledge of the stage... but he can also whip onto a grapple ring that appears from thin air to swing across the gap if he is too far away from the ledge... this is based on Super Castlevania IV.

Down + B - Invisibility Potion
Simon drinks a potion and becomes invisible for three seconds... when Simon is transparent, opponents can attack him but cannot inflict damage... it is like the Cloaking Device in Melee... this is based on the Invisibility Potion item in the NES/SNES games.

Final Smash - Magic Rosary
Simon picks up a holy cross... white light flashes the whole stage... nearby opponents are KO'd instantly... this is based on the Rosary item in the NES/SNES games... remember that cross item that kills all enemies on the screen... that's the one.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The ideal Castlevania stage to me would be Project M's.

I'd just add various Castlevania villains in the background, such as zombies in the stage's background of where you stand, or flying bats in the background. Suddenly Castlevania 1's first boss appears in the sky.

Even better if it has a Day-Night transition with music change from The Silcence of Daylight to Monster Dance from Castlevania 2.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What I want to see in the Castlevania stage is a text box that reads "what a horrible night to have a curse" before the stage turns to night.... and another text box that reads "the morning sun has vanquished the horrible night" before the stage turns to day. Enemies like zombies, bats, fishmen, and hellhounds serve as stage hazards but they only appear at night.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Copying over some stuff from the Rate Their Chances thread.

If the guy who started the thread wants to update the OP to have a larger music section, here are some songs and alternate versions of them from classic Castlevania games:

This demonstrates what a great musical contribution Simon Belmont would make to Smash if he was included.

Bloody Tears original version appearing in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. This poll of Western gamers gives it as the 3rd best video game track of all time http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

Bloody Tears hard rock version performed on Perfect Selection: Dracula Battle (PS:DB), an official Castlevania music album of hard rock covers.
Bloody Hell - Blood Tears rock version from OC Remix, performed by Ailsean and Kaijin
Bloody Tears piano cover from some guy on YouTube

Theme of Simon from Perfect Selection: Dracula Battle II, truly kick-*** version

Vampire Killer from the Castlevania 1
Vampire Killer rock version also performed on PS:DB

Wicked Child from Castlevania (the first one)
Wicked Orchestra - great remix from Scott Peeples

The Silence of Daylight town theme from Simon's Quest
Simon's Town - cool remix by Digimatic

Praying Hands from Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge for the Game Boy. Does not star Simon, and I've never played the game, but it's an impressively good Game Boy track
Ripe Seeds from Belmont's Revenge as well, plus it has a version on PS:DB

Also, the Symphony of the Night soundtrack by Michiru Yamane is just generally awesome, but that stars Alucard and is on the Playstation, so I won't link to Tragic Prince, Dracula's Castle or Wandering Ghosts or whatever.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
You're getting me hyped for a very unlikely character :<

Pokeking

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
I'd want his appearance to be based on the Castlevania Chronicles appearance since that was used in the SSB like game DreamMix TV.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd want his appearance to be based on the Castlevania Chronicles appearance since that was used in the SSB like game DreamMix TV.
Personally, I would like Simon to be based on his NES appearance...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ok, so i support Simon, i love Castlevania series and its one of those classic gaming franchises that has a long histoy with Nintendo, and while im not much familiar witth Simon as with Soma, or Alucard, he could be the best in representing Castlevania in SSB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom