• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Silver Tongue: Move Analysis Changes and Tips

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Think he prolly turned a tiny bit before jumping out of the egg, though it doesn't seem like he did.
Otherwise if it isn't that'd be a neat thing, but would take some getting use too. If only Yoshi was in the Smash Demo next week.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Interesting changes... at this point, I'll be re-trying all characters, and Yoshi might need a close look.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Think he prolly turned a tiny bit before jumping out of the egg, though it doesn't seem like he did.
Otherwise if it isn't that'd be a neat thing, but would take some getting use too. If only Yoshi was in the Smash Demo next week.
But wouldn't that entail a change, anyway? To my knowledge, Yoshi hasn't been able to exit Egg Roll while turning in any game aside from Project M. But I haven't played Yoshi in Brawl for awhile, so I might be wrong.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yah it's a change, just didn't think about it cause remembered it from P:M but then remembered P:M isn't an actual game and just a bad mod. So possibly need to add into OP sooner or later.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
So, is yoshi available in the demo? I'm missing a lot cause of work!

If yes, did anybody try it? impressions?

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
Yoshi is only available in the 3DS demo at the E3 show floor (and probably the Nintendo World Store in NY) as far as I know.

Sadly, I haven't seen any gameplay videos yet besides the one guy who likes forward tilts and rolling off ledges.

I wish someone could check to see if his final smash is any different, or if his moves are much different though.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I've been getting confirmations that you can play him on the 3DS demos are Best Buy. I'll try it out if the lines aren't long when I get there.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Wish the Demo was avaiable at the E-Shop.

There's no Best Buy stores in the city where I live (dunno, maybe none in Brazil at ALL).

And the game only comes out on October.

*Sigh*

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
There's another major change that Yoshi received.

He can jump out of shield now!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I got the 3DS seconds before my turn was up to play Wii U version after almost 4 hours of waiting.

He can indeed jump OoS, Egg toss gives hops still while also allowing us to maneuver around left or right a tad.
Again as I sed in another thread only got 30 or possibly even less seconds to try him out, but definitely was moving during the egg toss animation.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
So Invader_Zirk on Reddit got to play the 3DS demo as well and got this nice chunk of info:

/u/Invader_Zirk said:
So I played Yoshi 1v1 vs Kirby on 3DS. Kirby's floaty as hell so I couldn't combo well but I will share what I learned in the 2 min game:

First and foremost: YOSHI CAN JUMP OUT OF SHIELD!!

I was so excited to see this as it was the first thing I wanted to know. He can jump OOS, and the shield otherwise works the same. It's an unstabbable egg. I wasn't consistent enough to find out about parry. I don't think it would be back though.

Double Jump Cancel is still gone. His double jump has changed some. He doesn't dip anymore like Yoshi's Island. The double jump feels more like Falco than a typical Yoshi jump.

Didn't land neutral B, but his grab seems better. It's definitely quicker.

Side B is melee levels of unusable. Really gross to use.

Up-b has rainbows and is FAAAABULOUS! On a serious note, his eggs seem trickier to use. I was on 3DS though, so sniper egg shots were tough. When they hit they were good. I hit Kirby for an egg-> up-air combo.

Down-b is strong. Similar to PM strength, possibly stronger? It almost KO'd Kirby at 60% on Rainbow Road.

Aerials are siiick. Bair has significant range, and racks damage. Fair is like DK's- there's a sweet spot on the meteor. Otherwise it hits them forward.

His dair hits for 33%, hell yeah! It also pushes people out to the side when you finish. Up air seemed harder to land than before.

Landing lag on bair and nair wasn't bad. Dair and fair lag was noticeable.

Dash attack's new, looks like a spin kick, but it feels like it did before. It hits HARD though.

Up-smash and F-smash also hit hard. Up-smash was incredibly fast.

I wanted to experiment withat dtilt and his different throws, but only did down-throws out of instinct. His d-throw did have a bit of ending lag.

Yoshi is quite a different beast in Smash 4, I really enjoyed him though! I hope anyone looking to play Yoshi in the new game gets helpful knowledge from this!

EDIT: Got to play a second round. Down tilt still has set knockback, neutral B takes a long time to break, and up-tilt -> up-air IS A COMBO. Did it twice to Samus, a CPU, so idk if it's a true combo or not, but it seems good.

Update on up-b, eggs break on their own after a set distance, like Melee.
Source.

I'm liking most of what I'm hearing here. :yoshi64:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That change in jump tho, does it have any armor to it??
No idea cause can't test stuff long enough.

Also that reddit post has a lot of stuff in it but not much info tbh.
Like Side-B has always been unusable, F/Usmash would hit hard of course, Nair bair never had bad landing lag while Fair and dair of course had bad lag even in brawl.

Only actual info he gave was basically what we all found out, Jump OoS DownB killing quicker than P:M maybe and possibly the utilt-usmash combo.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Up smash change was found out yesterday from a GameXplain video. Out of like 6 or so videos they posted there was like only one Yoshi that spammed f-tilt 40 or so times in 2 minutes but he thankfully kept trying to use it in the air so he gave us F-air as well which we didn't know about.

Looks like his F-air is faster/has a new wind up btw.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No one mentioning that Yoshi's second jump happens so fast. It doesn't really have the dip and goes up like IMMEDIATELY
So Invader_Zirk on Reddit got to play the 3DS demo as well and got this nice chunk of info:

Double Jump Cancel is still gone. His double jump has changed some. He doesn't dip anymore like Yoshi's Island. The double jump feels more like Falco than a typical Yoshi jump.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Updated with a couple gifs.
Might add some more slower/better quality gifs when I get the chance. For now the guy that spammed f-tilt/air the entire match and egg roll gifified.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
I wonder with that new ending to the dair if you still would be able to go in to nair or the u-air (depending on positioning) right after it. If not then its k. Its all about the new dash attack.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Changes I've noticed just by watching, not copying anyone above:
-Egg roll is much faster.
-Opponents stuck in Egg Lay seem to be stuck longer.
-Super Dragon's fireballs pass through opponents instead of stopping on contact.
-Side Smash looks buffed.
-New USmash looks like it has great hitboxes and a better approach option. Reminds me of Fox.
-Dash attack launches him very far. Solid.
-Can jump out of shield (!!!)
-Tilts look like they have improved hitboxes, namely up tilt.
-Bair has more knockback on the final hit.

Yoshi for god tier. Too OP. Gonna make a thread about it. New main.

I'm just joking about the thread btw. But every newcomer has gotten one so hey, why not?

SNEStalgic

Smash Rookie
That change in jump tho, does it have any armor to it??
During my test with the game, I ate Mario's F-Smash with my double jump at about 25%

The Egg throw seemed to have fewer set paths but the knock back and speed felt increased.

Definite hitbox buffs for pretty much everything.

Standing grab comes out at a usable speed now.

JUMP OUT OF SHIELD OMG ITS CHRISTMAS!!!

ALSO

I got hit during one of my animations and glitched into a T-Stance. (3ds version)
Plus, the WiiU version froze 3 times that I know of.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
And i was thinking of dropping yoshi in SB4...Definitely not the case anymore!

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'm gonna use Yoshi when I go to BestBuy this Saturday, I'll test out as many of the moves as I can. When I use these moves against my friend, we'll be able to tell whether Yoshi's moves got true buffs or whether it's just the way it appears in trailers and gameplay so far!

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Oooh. This looks promising. As a Yoshi main in Smash 64 and Project: M, the buffs look very good. Also, THANK GOD FOR JUMPING OUT OF SHIELD! Why did it take 4 games for Sakurai to realize this was needed?

I am definitely looking forward to trying him out when the game launches. He may become one of my mains once again.

Last edited:

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Dude that dash attack looks amazing. Wonder how punishable it is on block though

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I wish there was more content in that match. Out of the 3 or 4 yoshi videos out on YT now, there's barely anything happening in em. One spams f-tilt/air the entire match, another Yoshi bomb, this one dash attack.

Granted it gives us info on how much knockback it has for some reason even at low percents, but bowser being able to destroy full shield with DownB was more info in that video since we've seen others doing dash attack for Yoshi in the other 2 or 3.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love the new dash attack and how it pops people up into the air, it doesn't really seem like he could ever follow up on it. The ending lag after the dash attack didn't really allow Yoshi to follow up on the pop up, even on Bowser at low percents. I kinda hope that changes, because I really like that new attack.

Loving how long people stay into the egg after Egg Lay though. I wonder if they're just bad at mashing out though. And Bowser utterly destroyed Yoshi's shield with his down special at 1:03, and it was fresh too. o_o

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack does seem like a nice safe option for Yoshi now, to me it seems pretty similar to Snake's in terms of knockback and speed. In fact, a lot of his attacks seem to be much quicker than before. I'm planning on waiting in line on Saturday to play the game; hopefully I'll get my hands on a 3DS to experience the changes first hand!

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I am liking all these changes to Yoshi, although I have to admit I think I'm gonna miss the slight back coverage in is Up smash. In fact now that I think about it, his fair is now his only headbutt move, isn't it? And really I don't see his egg roll being that bad an option this time with how fast it turns around; it might be sorta 'dash-dance'-able now which would allow for some mindgames. Somebody should test that out when they get the chance.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I am liking all these changes to Yoshi, although I have to admit I think I'm gonna miss the slight back coverage in is Up smash.
My only concern with the USmash is if it has invincibility possibly, and if not, hopefully we're able to DACUS it since it's a changed attack animation now and along with how far our Dash attack goes.

That'd really help Yoshi if he can do that.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I'm pretty sure since they changed the doublejump, sadly there will be no DR anymore.
I also kinda think that this is the reason, why they actually changed the animation.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
I'm pretty sure since they changed the doublejump, sadly there will be no DR anymore.
I also kinda think that this is the reason, why they actually changed the animation.
So basically, also no more Egglay awesomeness?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Egglay awesomeness is still possible without DR.

Top Bottom