• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Or you can ask the one who lives in Japan (Right here)
I forgot about you little scamps... Oh yeah, I am really mad at you guys... You get to play Xenoblade X, Bravely Second, and both Fire Emblem Black and White(not their actual names, but might as well be(I really hope NoA just gives us the special edition for $40 though, since we have to wait until 2016.... Paying the second path for DLC would suck! I am so sorry for you guys!) this year.... We will be lucky to get Xenoblade X. You **** are getting all of the good games this year! Sigh.... I hope for the day when we get Zelda Wii U before you, like with A Link Between Worlds....
I didn't know you had a New 3DS as well....

So, how is Xenoblade 3D compared to Xenoblade? Are the graphics really as bad as people are saying, or are they over-exaggerating?
lol I live in Massachusetts

The only reason I know anything about Xenoblade 3D is because of PAX East

Also I think @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU lives in Australia
I did not know that. Regardless, Alvis already has his mitts on the game, so I would love to hear his thoughts.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I forgot about you little scamps... Oh yeah, I am really mad at you guys... You get to play Xenoblade X, Bravely Second, and both Fire Emblem Black and White(not their actual names, but might as well be(I really hope NoA just gives us the special edition for $40 though, since we have to wait until 2016.... Paying the second path for DLC would suck! I am so sorry for you guys!) this year.... We will be lucky to get Xenoblade X. You **** are getting all of the good games this year! Sigh.... I hope for the day when we get Zelda Wii U before you, like with A Link Between Worlds....

So, how is Xenoblade 3D compared to Xenoblade? Are the graphics really as bad as people are saying, or are they over-exaggerating?

I did not know that. Regardless, Alvis already has his mitts on the game, so I would love to hear his thoughts.
Uh sorry, I have to correct that, I live near Japan, so it's easy for me to get Japan games.
Wow, wow, calm down those game were set to be made for Japan, those game are just popular enough to be released overseas.
Well, the Japanese New 3DS is on my brother's hands right now, I haven't really play it yet.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Sooo... when will Nintendo say the release date for Shaquille O Blade Chronicles?
All jokes aside I'm really excited that I can get either Xenoblade. :smirk:But I'm waiting to see which one I should pick.
Gah I hate making decisions. I take forever. :c
/To be honest I don't really see any other Xenoblade character that is really need in smash. But it is your choice./

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Just saw the title change. Nathan Drake and Kratos? I'd rather vote for DmC Dante.

*goes to hide in the corner*

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Those who live in Europe
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU
@ kenniky kenniky
How's Xenoblade 3D compared to the original Xenoblade?
lol I live in Massachusetts

The only reason I know anything about Xenoblade 3D is because of PAX East

Also I think @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU lives in Australia
Yes, he does.

Someone from the US complaining about those in Europe getting a game first? Let me tell you the history of the last 20 years... (haha, okay maybe not. But the short version is that PAL regions are traditionally the ones getting screwed over. It's only started to improve in recent years.) Whilst I'm not 100% sure on EU, I know for certain that in Aus, stuff like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger weren't even released until the Virtual Console and remakes came about. Anyway I whinge about this too much.

People do over-exaggerate on the graphics. Naturally some things don't look so great on the N3DS compared to Wii. However, it handles surprisingly well for a handheld. Miiverse comments make me sad every time someone goes "omg they suck so much" because really, it isn't intrusive to your gameplay 90% of the time and it still manages to deliver the complete package. Even though a graphical sacrifice has been made, it's still fine. Yeah, the textures are a bit choppy here and there but it still has the heart and soul we know and love. I've always been of the opinion that the artistic style overrides the graphical quality, and it's still strong enough on a graphical level to portray what it wants to. Is it worth re-buying? Up to you, I guess. I think it's worth it, but I'm hopelessly obsessed so my opinion isn't exactly an objective one :laugh:

I'll direct you a couple of pages back over to here where I've talked about the graphics a little more in-depth. Plus screenshots :)
As promised, here's my thoughts on Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. To avoid slowing the page, most of the screenshots I've taken will be linked to.

Alright, here we go. I think I tend to go over-the-top when I give really long opinion posts so I'll try to keep this concise but informative. Note that some of the screenshots mysteriously look better on a laptop than a 3DS screen.
The short version of this is "Yes it looks worse but it still captures everything you know and love."

Some of the textures are a little more rough or thin than on the Wii.
Makna Forest (title screen display thing) / Bionis and Mechonis / "Colony 9" / Dunban's arm
Seeing Reyn's shoulder here makes me think they may be using less colours because it's not a smooth transition there. It wasn't as bad on the Wii. This is only sometimes noticeable on characters and faces in cutscenes.

That said, the framerate is fine most of the time. The only time it noticeably slowed was twice during the prologue - when there's about a thousand Mechon moving around, shots flying, explosions and people talking, it dropped slightly for a moment. I honestly don't think the 3DS could've run this. I don't expect the slowdown to happen again.

At first I thought the voice audio sounded a little worse but now I think it might've been my imagination. The music is perfect as ever and if the voices have been trimmed down somehow, it's not by much.

I'm afraid I've only played one other console -> handheld port, which was BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, and something I've noticed here I also noticed in that. It becomes very clear where they've recreated some part of the UI (user interface) for the port and where they've just scaled something down. You'll get something that's tiny, hard-to-read, blurred. Because it's rescaling it's not always the best. On the other hand, you'll get new UI which is very clear and easy to read. Compare the pair...
Scaled: Tutorial (would be tricky for some to read) / Battle info screen (faces a little hazy, clock a bit jagged on the 3DS)
Remade: Dialogue / Chat boxes (both pretty clear, slightly different look.)
Remaking parts looks better, but at the same time makes them look gigantic. I suppose it's partly connected to the screen split. Keep in mind that this is an entire bottom screen.
Shop (top screen is stat box) / Save Screen Top and Bottom / Equipment / Quest List (bottom screen is the actual list)

For all the criticism of the visuals, it does do surprisingly well in other sections. Cutscenes and models of the main characters look great.

The in-game models drop a little.
The in-game models of NPCs drop a lot compared to the main characters (though I guess the NPCs weren't that detailed to begin with.) You really can't make out faces of a lot of NPCs unless you zoom in like this, where they look weird.

Battles look fine to me. The movement's all smooth, the audio's balanced the same as before.

Only other issue with the low-res is the map. The red enemies are mostly fine, but when you're looking for the black (now blue) dot for a named NPC or red (orange) dot for a special NPC in a town, the dot is hard to make out due to it being pretty much 2x2 pixels, and sometimes disappears entirely as you move near it.

The 3D effect is fine (helped by the N3DS). I think they might be sneaky and turn it on and off depending on how intense the scene is (it was off during the Prologue cutscenes if I recall correctly). It's not super-deep. If you'd like to see for yourself, go and look at the screenshots I've taken on Miiverse on your 3DS (they're all in 3D, apart from those of the bottom screen). I've got some images there that I haven't posted here, taken to demonstrate the 3D effect. I think the images should display fine for a regular 3DS, but let me know if it doesn't, I'm curious. My NNID is GaleSlash - look at my Xenoblade Miiverse posts and read the comments (more pics).

Extras are fine. Spend 1 token for the chance of a new song or model, or 3 tokens to guarantee one. Start off with 10 tokens, 3 per daily Shulk amiibo scan, 5 Play Coins for one, ??? by StreetPassing.
Starts with a small pool (tells you something like 0/8 models, 0/6 tracks) which will probably expand as you progress.
Model viewer is split by armour set. Weapons change with the armour set. (Sample).
Jukebox plays tracks and continues to play them through earphones when in Sleep Mode. I'd say it loops perfectly but as I was writing this I was listening to either Colony 9 (Night) of Hometown (Night) and there was a slight jump. Others are fine. Good sound quality at any rate.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play more Xenoblade and not stop every five seconds for a screenshot :)
If this seems negative, it's because it's mostly about how it visually differs to the Wii version. If you've not played Xenoblade before, please know that the visuals are compensated for by artistic style and this game is excellent in every other aspect. Still the best game I've never played.

Edit: Skim-reading, I used "fine" a lot. Heh. That's fine, I guess.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU
I wasn't complaining about Europe getting the game, but of Japan's slew of games they are getting this year that we have to wait until 2016.
Haha
I think you guys deserve to get some games early, especially since you haven't even got Kirby and the Rainbow Curse(seriously, that is so weird).
Anyway, thank you for the analysis. I knew I could trust you, hahaha. It's hard to trust journalism sites nowadays, and that just makes children parrot it back to the Internet, haha.

I also have no choice but to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, my Wii literally ate my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles a few years ago.....

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I also have no choice but to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, my Wii literally ate my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles a few years ago.....
Really? Geez, that sucks. I haven't had anything like that happen to me yet, but I can imagine. Or, I could, but I don't want to. 0.0

I was going to suggest looking in local Gamestops to see if there are any copies of Xenoblade, but then I remembered the Gamestops around me are an anomaly in that they actually have multiple copies at $50 each (which is kinda sad really)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Really? Geez, that sucks. I haven't had anything like that happen to me yet, but I can imagine. Or, I could, but I don't want to. 0.0

I was going to suggest looking in local Gamestops to see if there are any copies of Xenoblade, but then I remembered the Gamestops around me are an anomaly in that they actually have multiple copies at $50 each (which is kinda sad really)
Yeah....
Though once I play through Xenoblade 3D, I think I am going to download the Wii version with HD textures, once I get a better computer(It is not pirating one bit. I bought the original Wii game, and the 3D port, I kind of deserve this). That way, by the time I beat everything, Xenoblade X will be right there.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
What set is that?
I can confirm that this is the Alcyone Top. Amusingly chuggaaconroy used it in his LP as well but I hadn't gotten to that point yet because those videos are long.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
If Shulk's Vision gets nerfed...I'll be very upset
They would have to nerf his visions in Xenoblade Chronicles 3ds accordingly. I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, I recently finished Azure Striker Gunvolt. If you never have played a Megamen game, I think this is the closest thing you can get. With awesome music. And an fair yet hard difficulty. And true endings. And stuff.

... for real, it's a god tier sidescroller. Did I mentioned the awesom music?

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
Considering his position in the Japanese tier list, nah. There's nothing to fear
True, but Little Mac was pretty low on the tier lists (and apparently had pretty bad win ratio online), but he was still nerfed quite a bit in the previous balance patch. I think Nintendo is ignoring tier lists based on pro players and instead focus on which characters are strong in casual games.

True, but Little Mac was pretty low on the tier lists (and apparently had pretty bad win ratio online), but he was still nerfed quite a bit in the previous balance patch. I think Nintendo is ignoring tier lists based on pro players and instead focus on which characters are strong in casual games.
I don't know. Just making a guess. I still doubt he's getting nerf'd. Or touched

Voted for a lot of characters

Snake, Bayonetta, Nathan Drake (For ****s and giggles), Isaac, Not Ridley

D

Deleted member

My votes went out to Bandana Dee (twice), Captain Toad, and Bomberman.

God, I love Nintendo. How are you guys faring with shulk, fearing any nerves in the upcoming patch?
I'm a bit nervous because any character can get buffed or nerfed...
I will cry if Luigi or Shulk get nerfed.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
My votes went out to Bandana Dee (twice), Captain Toad, and Bomberman.

I'm a bit nervous because any character can get buffed or nerfed...
I will cry if Luigi or Shulk get nerfed.
Nice, another Bomberman voter!
And I don't think they will touch weegee. No reason at all, he is pretty good as it is.
But shulk got such an amazing buff last time, that I slowly start to worry...

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Uh sorry, I have to correct that, I live near Japan, so it's easy for me to get Japan games.
Wow, wow, calm down those game were set to be made for Japan, those game are just popular enough to be released overseas.
Well, the Japanese New 3DS is on my brother's hands right now, I haven't really play it yet.
Alright man, the reason I have waited to reply to this is because I wanted to get all of my facts straight. So I am straight up, calling you out.
First, All of these titles were made catered to the west. Each of these games had a western audience in mind, and that is clear. Xenoblade was actually made to be a JRPG that uses western concepts, and Xenoblade X is a further testament to that! The White Whale is fricken American made, and it uses many concepts from western action RPG's. Fire Emblem awakening involved the western audience as well, changing the themes that are more westernized, and made it easier for western newcomers to get into the series. Clearly, Awakening was made with the US in mind. Bravely Default, was only made for Japan originally, yet it truly blossomed under Western growth, and has been noted by the directors of the game.

I know what you are going to say, as well. You are going to parrot developers and say that westerners are no longer interested in JRPG's. Which, quite frankly, is a lie. There is a specific reason for the decline of JRPG's..... None of them were good......
Everything Square Enix made was a steaming pile of ****(glares at FFXIII), and no other developers made anything worthwhile. Of course that would simulate in sales! If there isn't anything worth getting, of course no one would want to play a JRPG. When we do get a good one, it sells though. North America is by no means a "supplement" to Japanese sales, it is their core audience. For example, the original Xenoblade sold around 800,000 copies within its lifetime. North America alone had 400,000 copies sold. Japan, only had 300,000. Fire Emblem awakening sold around 1.5 million copies. America makes up 40% of that with 600,000 copies, while Japan lags behind with 500,000 copies. America truly saved the Fire Emblem series as a whole, that much is clearly apparent. Final Fantasy made the strides it did because of North America as well! Most notably with FFVII. America is the source of all interest in JRPG's. This is especially apparent with newer series, such as Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, and Xenoblade. Pokemon only became really huge because of a western audience as well.
Not only that, but not getting these localizations is very worry some for Nintendo.... We aren't getting Zelda Wii U... That much is apparent, yet there are no hype worthy games for the holidays. Japan gets to look forward to Fire Emblem, and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. We will be lucky to even get Xenoblade X.... Seriously, Xenoblade X is the only big title that westerners get to look forward to this year(that has been announced). Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Yoshi will be good... But they are small and extremely watered down compared to other big releases. Star Fox probably won't come this year either.

So Nintendo really needed to get their localization in check to provide a closer localization..... They failed to do so... Worldwide releases for text heavy games are very possible as well, as we have seen time and time again... It is ludicrous to have to wait months for a game like this(again, my apologies also go to Europe) and it certainly is bad for business. There are seemingly no "big" titles for Nintendo besides Xenoblade Chronicles X. This is extremely worrying. Japan is getting 3 Fire Emblem games, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and Bravely Second. NA and Europe are barely getting anything this year, barring the possibility of a huge blowout of 2015 games at E3(Of which I severely doubt).

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I haven't seen this posted yet.
The next part of XCX's short stories have been uploaded.

Part 3 of Forging BLADE: The Overed's Strike Carved an Even Greater Scar Across the Bulkhead
Part 3 of 24-Hour Happy People: Surely the Bathrooms on Noah's Ark Were Constructed as if They Were Plantations

-----------------

Went to another Smash Tournament. In my first tourney I got to face off against one of the best local players, who thrashed me. I'd hoped to face him again to gauge my progress... and that happened today. But it turns out that as I improved, he did too. Villager, man, Shulk could barely touch him and I don't know how to handle it. He kept shooting Gyroids which means I can't short-hop, so if I full-hop over it I get slingshotted, if I shield it I get grabbed, if I roll past I get grabbed or tilted. Maybe retreating is best? I took maybe 1/3 stock. He then swapped to Mr. Game and Watch and it felt like he was just playing with me. He's new to G&W. Damn his upwards windboxes are horrible to face. Don't use your second jump because he'll keep you up there... I took 2/3 stocks. The uthrow->utilt->nair->uair... bacon edgeguarding... *shudder*...

I also had a few Shulk dittos. I'd forgotten how scary Shulk is to challenge in the air. Almost dropped the match, but as he fell towards the stage I used Air Slash because it's quick, to catch him off-guard. I'm getting pretty good at using Air Slash offensively, if I do say so myself. Once I managed to pick up on the horizontal range on the first hit, I can usually scoop people up with it rather than getting punished.

And I need to learn not to get shield-grabbed so much.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I present, the Honest Video Game Box Art for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, aka what 50% of the characters talking consists of:

Part 3 of Forging BLADE: The Overed's Strike Carved an Even Greater Scar Across the Bulkhead
Part 3 of 24-Hour Happy People: Surely the Bathrooms on Noah's Ark Were Constructed as if They Were Plantations

-----------------

Went to another Smash Tournament. In my first tourney I got to face off against one of the best local players, who thrashed me. I'd hoped to face him again to gauge my progress... and that happened today. But it turns out that as I improved, he did too. Villager, man, Shulk could barely touch him and I don't know how to handle it. He kept shooting Gyroids which means I can't short-hop, so if I full-hop over it I get slingshotted, if I shield it I get grabbed, if I roll past I get grabbed or tilted. Maybe retreating is best? I took maybe 1/3 stock. He then swapped to Mr. Game and Watch and it felt like he was just playing with me. He's new to G&W. Damn his upwards windboxes are horrible to face. Don't use your second jump because he'll keep you up there... I took 2/3 stocks. The uthrow->utilt->nair->uair... bacon edgeguarding... *shudder*...

I also had a few Shulk dittos. I'd forgotten how scary Shulk is to challenge in the air. Almost dropped the match, but as he fell towards the stage I used Air Slash because it's quick, to catch him off-guard. I'm getting pretty good at using Air Slash offensively, if I do say so myself. Once I managed to pick up on the horizontal range on the first hit, I can usually scoop people up with it rather than getting punished.

Congrats on your tournament! Don't feel bad for losing to one of the best players, just let it inspire you to improve.

Lozjam

Smash Champion

-----------------

Alvis, would you want to play some games with me?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I present, the Honest Video Game Box Art for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, aka what 50% of the characters talking consists of:

Congrats on your tournament! Don't feel bad for losing to one of the best players, just let it inspire you to improve.
Yep, that's what I've been doing. He's my barline, the point I have to get to. If/when I get to that point, I'll move it up somewhere else. Since I've started turning up to Smash 4 events (maybe November-ish), he's literally won every Singles since maybe October. Whilst he's revered as some kind of Smash God in the local scene, he's not infallible. Maybe I'll try making friends and he can give me some good practise :)

Alvis, would you want to play some games with me?
Sure, but not right now. Because of time zones I really need to sleep. And everyone cries when I battle because my lag is usually bad. (But seriously I have a slight change in my internet setup meaning it might be better than normal. Need to test this still.)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

I am so sad, that this didn't included "press on, and on and on."

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Just saw the title, and although I haven't played Golden Sun, I'm guessing that Isaac would work well as he's a rpg main protagonist, but I'm not so sure about Melia. I've been thinking that she could have different elementals for her specials, but then I'm not sure about her physical attacks. What I'm hoping for is that if she is a character, her f-tilt would be Spear Break and then if you follow up with a dash attack, which would be Starlight Kick, your opponent would auto-trip.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
But it turns out that as I improved, he did too. Villager, man, Shulk could barely touch him and I don't know how to handle it. He kept shooting Gyroids which means I can't short-hop, so if I full-hop over it I get slingshotted, if I shield it I get grabbed, if I roll past I get grabbed or tilted. Maybe retreating is best?
I know that feeling, I've been practicing against consistently the best player in Louisville, and I've gotten a ****load better. Like things I know I can do just are on par, I get rediculously better playing against higher players quicker then most.
...that being said when the tournament actually happened yesterday, my nerves just destroyed me. He knew I could get top five, I knew it, and a few local people that knew my progress were watching were visably disappointed in me. I psyched myself out when the pools were a sonic, two Falcons, a diddy, and a mario. I got second seed behind diddy, but I was shaking worse then I ever have at a tourny. I guess I let my expectations get overrun with focusing. I kept running in like I was falcon and doing stupid ****. Dropped the next two sets out of pools :/.
There's a TON of villager mains here in the Midwest too, and the theme is tripping sapling with pushy lloids, and it's really aggravating me too.

Any news on a XBX release here in NA yet? ;_;

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Just saw the title, and although I haven't played Golden Sun, I'm guessing that Isaac would work well as he's a rpg main protagonist, but I'm not so sure about Melia. I've been thinking that she could have different elementals for her specials, but then I'm not sure about her physical attacks. What I'm hoping for is that if she is a character, her f-tilt would be Spear Break and then if you follow up with a dash attack, which would be Starlight Kick, your opponent would auto-trip.
Smash has never had anything where following a move from another move has an additional effect. The closest thing is that shield grabbing after getting your shield hit in Smash 64 will make your throws do 50% less damage. WFT doesn't count because her jab3 has a very specific sweet spot that the other two hits set up.

IMO:
B: elemental discharge
SideB: spear Break, pressing B again transitions into starlight kick which trips or something
UpB: idk
DownB: Summon elementals

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
IMO:
B: elemental discharge
SideB: spear Break, pressing B again transitions into starlight kick which trips or something
UpB: idk
DownB: Summon elementals
Summon Copy for Down B as a Reflector or Pocket and Summon Bolt for Up B like Elwind or Hydro Pump?

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Just use Summon Wind as a recovery, any game that has air based moves I usually put in as a recovery if they are no good alternatives.
It could be like Rosaluma's where it launchers her up, except there's also a wind effect on both sides from where the move begins.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Given that you would have to Summon it first and then using the special, I think it makes so much sense that her recovery would go really high. Though personally I want it to be a bit of a larger recovery than Rosaluma.

Top Bottom