• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
With all the jokes out there, wouldn't be surprised if people got the feeling that he's some joke/derp character :ohwell:
If it makes people more aware of the character and the series I can live with some stupid people misunderstanding things.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
If it makes people more aware of the character and the series I can live with some stupid people misunderstanding things.
And if that encourages people to end up playing the game for themselves at some point and realize "Oh, Shulk is actually pretty cool and doesn't say "I'm really feeling!" all of the time! Wow!", then +1

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would actually been shocked if they hadn't used some of the lines as part of Xenoblade is the incredibly cheesy battle dialogue. Though the only line they used I don't remember was... was 'Shulk time' even a thing or were they just making a joke in regards to Reyn's line in the english translation, can't remember exactly.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I would actually been shocked if they hadn't used some of the lines as part of Xenoblade is the incredibly cheesy battle dialogue. Though the only line they used I don't remember was... was 'Shulk time' even a thing or were they just making a joke in regards to Reyn's line in the english translation, can't remember exactly.
They just took it from Reyn. Shulk is basically the embodiment of all his party members in Smash.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
They just took it from Reyn. Shulk is basically the embodiment of all his party members in Smash.
I knew it had to be related to the English translation in some way because I read somewhere that the Japanese line for the taunt that Shulk time is used was something like 'Your not very gentle are you?' or something to that regards.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I knew it had to be related to the English translation in some way because I read somewhere that the Japanese line for the taunt that Shulk time is used was something like 'Your not very gentle are you?' or something to that regards.
Its just a nod to Reyn time, due Reyn is not as popular & memetic in the Japanese version

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Its just a nod to Reyn time, due Reyn is not as popular & memetic in the Japanese version
Speaking of this, I wonder if they took a line from a different character for the Japanese trailer/Japanese fighter stance. Reyn might not say 'Now it's Reyn Time' in Japanese, or, if he does, it still may not be as iconic as it is here.

-------------------

I just read the thing on vectoring. I wasn't a competitive player in Brawl (although, I am kind of one now), so I didn't know about DI. I was actually vectoring in Brawl though. I thought it made a difference then – I could have been wrong – but I'm glad that it works in Smash 4.

Hehe, since I've been doing it for years, I guess I'm probably be the best user of vectors at the moment :p. It's not like that matters too much, nor is vectoring hard to do (despite the complex sounding name), but I guess it's nice to know that I have had a little bit of a head start.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Speaking of this, I wonder if they took a line from a different character for the Japanese trailer/Japanese fighter stance. Reyn might not say 'Now it's Reyn Time' in Japanese, or, if he does, it still may not be as iconic as it is here.

-------------------

I just read the thing on vectoring. I wasn't a competitive player in Brawl (although, I am kind of one now), so I didn't know about DI. I was actually vectoring in Brawl though. I thought it made a difference then – I could have been wrong – but I'm glad that it works in Smash 4.

Hehe, since I've been doing it for years, I guess I'm probably be the best user of vectors at the moment :p. It's not like that matters too much, nor is vectoring hard to do (despite the complex sounding name), but I guess it's nice to know that I have had a little bit of a head start.
Would have been awesome if Riki said "Melly-Chan" in his AT debut xp

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The main Shulk threads all have banners now. S/o to @ Jae Jae for being awesome by making all of these and s/o to the entire Shulk forum for being the best around :shades:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Just two more weeks until we're able to wield the Power of the Monado!
Luckily for myself, my weeks aren't too long so it'll be October 3rd before I know it.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Feel like they missed an opportunity with Shulk's shrugging taunt, instead of saying
"Now it's Shulk time!" it would have made much more sense, not to mention also fulfilling the Reyn quote
requirement by having him say "What a bunch of jokers!"

Ah well.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
This was something I was really wondering about but never asked, if the joke translated across.
Not bad, Nintendo, not bad at all.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Feel like they missed an opportunity with Shulk's shrugging taunt, instead of saying
"Now it's Shulk time!" it would have made much more sense, not to mention also fulfilling the Reyn quote
requirement by having him say "What a bunch of jokers!"

Ah well.
It would've been awesome if he had quotes from the other party members as well, "let's press on, and on, and ON" could make a neat taunt.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Spent the last couple days watching the entire story/cutscenes on youtube. What an emotional rollercoaster.

Getting this game for my wife for her birthday. She'll love it.

Now am 100% excited for Shulk as well in SSB

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Spent the last couple days watching the entire story/cutscenes on youtube. What an emotional rollercoaster.

Getting this game for my wife for her birthday. She'll love it.

Now am 100% excited for Shulk as well in SSB
Someone should count every time any character says the word "Monado" during a cutscene, the number might be in the thousands.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Someone should count every time any character says the word "Monado" during a cutscene, the number might be in the thousands.
Heaven forbid you do a drinking game over it, oh god.

... Which speaking of, I did actually find some rules for a drinking game from a good friend over at gamefaqs.
DON'T WORRY, "Drink every time the word 'Monado' is said" is not a rule. That would be suicide...
DRINK...
*every time Shulk screams like a girl
*every time Shulk has some horrific vision and ignores it
*every time Dunban pronounces "Melia" as "Melier"
*every time Dunban acts badass
*every time you find yourself staring at Sharla's bazongas instead of listening to what she's saying
*every time Reyn yells "It's Reyn time!"
*every time a quest is completed

SUPER SPECIAL BONUS GAME
Only drink when they say "Monado."
No other rules.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/64529286

Definitely need to keep this in mind once I become legal to drink, on the assumption I don't die of alcohol poisoning at the quarter point.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Heaven forbid you do a drinking game over it, oh god.

... Which speaking of, I did actually find some rules for a drinking game from a good friend over at gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/64529286

Definitely need to keep this in mind once I become legal to drink, on the assumption I don't die of alcohol poisoning at the quarter point.
Drink every time when Shulk is really feeling it.
Also, drink every time someone says "Bionis" or "Mechonis".

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

I found this, guyz. Look. Shulk is so MLG pro only no items final destination

Jje09

Smash Apprentice
  1. In Xenoblade Chronicles, this young lad's colony is attacked by the Mechon, so he and his friends set off to take them down. In Smash Bros., his Monado Arts let him change his specialization during battle. You can choose to boost a stat—his jump or attack, for example—but other stats might drop as a result, so choose wisely.
  2. Shulk's up special Air Slash is an upward slash done during a jump. Press the button again quickly to launch opponents sideways. His side special Back Slash, on the other hand, is a downward swing with a very wide range, though using it leaves Shulk wide open. Try hitting foes from behind with this!
Those are Shulk's two trophy descriptions.
Here's Riki's and Dunban's
  1. A Nopon from Frontier Village in Xenoblade Chronicles. Despite appearances, this year's legendary Heropon is actually a middle-aged father of 11. If you summon him in this game, he'll use Arts to knock over your foes, freeze them, and even send them to sleep. Riki can also heal you, but if he does, he'll heal everyone else too!
  2. Dunban was hailed as a hero when he stopped the Mechon invasion of Bionis with the Monado. However, it cost him the use of his right arm. He's always looking out for others, and Shulk sees him as an older brother. In Shulk's Final Smash, Dunban, Riki, and Shulk team up to overwhelm the enemy!
Sadly that's all for the 3DS version, but Xenoblade is a console game so we should get more on the Wii U version

Enyalb

NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
  1. In Xenoblade Chronicles, this young lad's colony is attacked by the Mechon, so he and his friends set off to take them down. In Smash Bros., his Monado Arts let him change his specialization during battle. You can choose to boost a stat—his jump or attack, for example—but other stats might drop as a result, so choose wisely.
  2. Shulk's up special Air Slash is an upward slash done during a jump. Press the button again quickly to launch opponents sideways. His side special Back Slash, on the other hand, is a downward swing with a very wide range, though using it leaves Shulk wide open. Try hitting foes from behind with this!
Those are Shulk's two trophy descriptions.
Here's Riki's and Dunban's
  1. A Nopon from Frontier Village in Xenoblade Chronicles. Despite appearances, this year's legendary Heropon is actually a middle-aged father of 11. If you summon him in this game, he'll use Arts to knock over your foes, freeze them, and even send them to sleep. Riki can also heal you, but if he does, he'll heal everyone else too!
  2. Dunban was hailed as a hero when he stopped the Mechon invasion of Bionis with the Monado. However, it cost him the use of his right arm. He's always looking out for others, and Shulk sees him as an older brother. In Shulk's Final Smash, Dunban, Riki, and Shulk team up to overwhelm the enemy!
Sadly that's all for the 3DS version, but Xenoblade is a console game so we should get more on the Wii U version
You wanna know who else is missing?

... No seriously, is this guy ANYWHERE on the 3DS version?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found this, guyz. Look. Shulk is so MLG pro only no items final destination
xX_Shulk_Xx will be noscoping the noobs in Smash!

You wanna know who else is missing?

... No seriously, is this guy ANYWHERE on the 3DS version?
From what I've heard, apparently not. I think that he'll be a stage hazard/boss on the Wii U version of Gaur Plains. So, I think Metal Face will get a trophy on there.

Hey, at least we made it through four trophy descriptions without any spoilerific descriptions.
Now we have to wait and see the rest of the characters will get trophies and hopefully the game won't get spoiled. I fear Metal Face's trophy will spoil Xenoblade...

Enyalb

NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
From what I've heard, apparently not. I think that he'll be a stage hazard/boss on the Wii U version of Gaur Plains. So, I think Metal Face will get a trophy on there..
Kinda doubting it considering the Mega Man stage still has Yellow Devil on both versions. If they had Metal Face on the Wii U version, what else is stopping him from being in the 3DS version besides technical limitations?

However this one supposed leak got my attention:

Now for all intents and purposes, it's up in the air on whether it's true or not, I personally don't know or care. However, on that Tower of Smash and Boss Rush bits, I would absolutely love to see Metal Face as an actual SSE-style boss and not just a stage hazard.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
That leak is very likely just some bored troll looking for their 15 minutes in the spotlight. I seriously doubt they would have characters that can only be unlocked by connecting with the Wii U version. They know better than to hold characters hostage like that and force people to get both versions. People need to accept that the only hope at this point is DLC and move on.

I do hope that the Tower idea does get implemented in some way, though. Metal Face would be an excellent boss for something like that.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Kinda doubting it considering the Mega Man stage still has Yellow Devil on both versions. If they had Metal Face on the Wii U version, what else is stopping him from being in the 3DS version besides technical limitations?
Technical limitations actually makes perfect sense.

Look at him. Dude's a pretty simple blob. All he does in Smash is turn into dots and fly back and forth.
On the other hand...

Look at all them moving parts.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
That leak is very likely just some bored troll looking for their 15 minutes in the spotlight. I seriously doubt they would have characters that can only be unlocked by connecting with the Wii U version. They know better than to hold characters hostage like that and force people to get both versions. People need to accept that the only hope at this point is DLC and move on.

I do hope that the Tower idea does get implemented in some way, though. Metal Face would be an excellent boss for something like that.
Yeah, you pretty much said my opinion. I can't recall anytime in Nintendo history where they made you have 2 versions of the same game to get the most out of it (From characters and gameplay, Pokemon does not count). The closest thing to this, I think, was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles multiplayer.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Mumkhar is dlc and Metal Face mysteriously shows up for his final smash. Bam!
Jk, probably Gaur Plains boss

Object-shin

I understand where you're coming from and this was my opinion also on the renders leak. We have to note that Nintendo is trying to make the Wii U actually sell so I don't see this being impossible HOWEVER, I'm not supporting this leak to be true but I think it probably is. I really don't care, just make the Wii U version have more content and take advantage of its power. I'm sort of against this idea but I can see Nintendo doing it... They'll make the exclusive characters timed exclusives if they exist to begin with. Like I said, this all links back to the Wii U's current performance.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Object-shin

I understand where you're coming from and this was my opinion also on the renders leak. We have to note that Nintendo is trying to make the Wii U actually sell so I don't see this being impossible HOWEVER, I'm not supporting this leak to be true but I think it probably is. I really don't care, just make the Wii U version have more content and take advantage of its power. I'm sort of against this idea but I can see Nintendo doing it... They'll make the exclusive characters timed exclusives if they exist to begin with. Like I said, this all links back to the Wii U's current performance.
Didn't Sakurai say that both games would have the same roster though? I mean, 3DS limitations could have made him change his mind, but you'd think there'd be some indication of that well before now. Besides, has this leak been given anything to make itself credible? I'm not exactly inclined to trust a random leaker on 4Chan without it having been proven right about something.

Also, Ridley not having wings and growing them for his Up-B? I haven't played any Metroid games, but that doesn't sound canon or logical to me.

EDIT:

I will probably need help learning how to stream. Anyone around here have the know-how and tolerance to deal with a live-streaming n00b like me? I want to get good with it, and all I need to learn is stuff about streaming (how to get it set-up through Twitch (I already have an account), which software to use, how to format everything, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
Didn't Sakurai say that both games would have the same roster though? I mean, 3DS limitations could have made him change his mind, but you'd think there'd be some indication of that well before now. Besides, has this leak been given anything to make itself credible? I'm not exactly inclined to trust a random leaker on 4Chan without it having been proven right about something.

Also, Ridley not having wings and growing them for his Up-B? I haven't played any Metroid games, but that doesn't sound canon or logical to me.
Ob-eject-shin

Things can change. Really depends. For all we know, Iwata shoved 1 million dollars into Sakurai's ass so that he can make it happen. I kid

I know 4Chan isn't trustworthy but that isn't really a good reason to automatically debunk it. Additionally, the Ridley being described in the rumor is likely to be the atrocious Other M Ridley

And Like I said again, this all may link back to the Wii U's sales. We all know how it's selling. A well marketed and properly priced Xenoblade Chronicles could've done the numbers the Wii U did until now in about... Like less than a year... Maybe that's just an exaggeration but yeah. You get the picture

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Ob-eject-shin

Things can change. Really depends. For all we know, Iwata shoved 1 million dollars into Sakurai's *** so that he can make it happen. I kid

I know 4Chan isn't trustworthy but that isn't really a good reason to automatically debunk it. Additionally, the Ridley being described in the rumor is likely to be the atrocious Other M Ridley
Oh, so there IS canon precedence for it? Okay then, I take that comment back. Wait that's canon? No wonder Other M didn't sell.

I'm not automatically debunking it. I admit there's a chance it's true, but until something they're "leaking" happens, I'm gonna assume someone is using 4Chan to get their 15 minutes of fame. Not gonna be "that guy" and go after people who believe it (hell, I believed the renders leak before it was proven true), but I'm not feeling it personally.

And I'm sorry, but I LOVE how I edited my post right when you quoted me...if I had waited I coulda put that info request in this post, might have been better. But meh xD

Top Bottom