• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's good to know how pumped you are, but I don't think this deserves its own thread. You should post this in the Social thread

I'll leave my reply there

Don't leave Melia controlled by the A.I.

Ever
That's a shame :( Isn't the whole point of the character threads, the new ones, about being introduced to the characters? I thought that thread could serve as a nice 'welcome to Shulk' thread.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What

No

The point of character threads in character forums is to discuss characters in said character forums' game (Smash 4 here)

If you want to discuss the games they're from, take it to either the Lighthouse or NintenZone boards.

Or you can talk about anything you want here

Character threads for Smash Bros 4 are mostly for discussing the character's mechanics and strategies and also for brainstorming ideas and testing them out

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What

No

The point of character threads in character forums is to discuss characters in said character forums' game (Smash 4 here)

If you want to discuss the games they're from, take it to either the Lighthouse or NintenZone boards.
Well, I disagree. I'd argue the origin of each character is a huge make up of what got them into smash, to the point that Nintendo recognizes such and is using it as an enormous marketing ploy and sale, which for an entire week was what we were informed of when we turned on our Wii U's.

I do not understand how the history of each character and that which gets us fans interested in them is somehow less important as a single thread, is somehow less important than replications of the same topic in regards to individual mechanics discussed at length, or opinion threads for that matter.

Why would the forums about each character not have a even a single thread devoted to that which gets us introduced to the character and interested in them in the first place? That seems to be incredibly elitist- to only go to a forum to discuss said character if they are already completely understood and favored, or worse, to detract on people who already feel that way. A thread for those growing into the character in the character's specific forum seems exceptionally relevant and poignant.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No one ****ing cares. I'm here to play the game they're in right now.

What games they're from doesn't change anything regarding how the game plays. We're in the Shulk forum to talk about playing as Shulk in this game, not the game he's from.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No one ****ing cares. I'm here to play the game they're in right now.

What games they're from doesn't change anything regarding how the game plays. We're in the Shulk to talk about playing as Shulk in this game, not the game he's from.
Dude, calm down. Usually a point is better communicated when cursing isn't the third or any word utilized.
I'm not being rude or disrespectful in any way. Or at least I hope I'm not coming across that way.

The Intellectual Properties of Smash Bros are without question the most important part of the game. The battle mechanics are absolutely vital, yes, but those are not the big selling point, the characters are. Solid IPs are what Nintendo is best at, that and innovation.
If we are no discussing the IPs in the character's own threads, then honestly I think we are missing a huge component not just of each character, but a revolutionary part of what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No one cares. This is a game first and a clusterbomb of fanservice second.

It doesn't change the purpose of the character forum. The character forums of Smash 4 (And other Smash bros games) are purely for how the character plays in game

You can talk about things not related to Smash 4 either in the social/general discussion thread or in the light house. It's as simple as that

Also, a crappy game with a great roster <<<<<< a great game with a meh roster. Not saying that Smash 4's roster is lackluster but I'll take a lackluster roster with deep gameplay over a game with a brilliant roster but disappointing gameplay. And no, I'm not talking about Brawl when it comes to disappointing gameplay. I understand that Smash Bros. was made for commemorating to Nintendo's history but now in this age, it's become much more than that

Additionally, if the gameplay isn't impressive then the review scores won't be as good which will affect the legs of the game. By legs, I meant how much it sells. It would probably end up like Destiny or Watch Dogs, great first week but a massive spike for the upcoming weeks. Believe me, DO NOT underestimate the power of reviews. Look what it did to the hyped games of 2014.....

Edit: Oh boy. 2 mods are present. Feeling a bit intimidated. Lol

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It doesn't change the purpose of the character forum. The character forums of Smash 4 (And other Smash bros games) are purely for how the character plays in game

You can talk about things not related to Smash 4 either in the social/general discussion thread or in the light house. It's as simple as that

Also, a crappy game with a great roster <<<<<< a great game with a meh roster. Not saying that Smash 4's roster is lackluster but I'll take a lackluster roster with deep gameplay over a game with a brilliant roster but disappointing gameplay. And no, I'm not talking about Brawl when it comes to disappointing. I understand that Smash Bros. was made for commemorating to Nintendo's history but now in this age, it's become much more than that
I super do agree with the roster comments; but even Sakurai has made comments that he knows the roster is what sells the game, that the characters are the most interesting aspect of it. I can find a citation if necessary.

But the first part of your statement is just blatently just not true. We speculate about every aspect of the characters- we discuss pictures just for fun, literally. We talk about videos, costumes, marketing, fan theories about the characters history, just individual statements about the character at all... More than half of the threads have nothing to do with how the characters play; and while I realize your point may be how the characters are in Smash as a whole, many of the threads still just are opinion pieces.

Here are some of the threads on the front page of the Bowser Jr thread to prove that point.
If Bowser JR. is his son....
I think it's a tad odd...
Which Koopaling is your favorite?
Do you think the Koopalings will have separate Amiibos?
Does Roy Koopa's inclusion affect FE Roy's chances of being DLC?
The 7 Koopalings have come a long way since Brawl.
Bowser Jr. "I was wrong." Thread
Morton...he's so tiny!

Koopaling-icons!
I must have pictures/videos of the Koopalings
The Koopa Clown Car Lands Into The Battlefield!

The forums are clearly about the general fanbase of the characters and relevant information as they pertain to smash; relevant may be somewhat questionable, but my points stated in previous posts are certainly far more relevant than much of the statements listed above.

Last edited:
I super disagree with the roster comments; but even Sakurai has made comments that he knows the roster is what sells the game, that the characters are the most interesting aspect of it. I can find a citation if necessary.

But the first part of your statement is just blatently just not true. We speculate about every aspect of the characters- we discuss pictures just for fun, literally. We talk about videos, costumes, marketing, fan theories about the characters history, just individual statements about the character at all... More than half of the threads have nothing to do with how the characters play; and while I realize your point may be how the characters are in Smash as a whole, many of the threads still just are opinion pieces.

Here are some of the threads on the front page of the Bowser Jr thread to prove that point.
If Bowser JR. is his son....
I think it's a tad odd...
Which Koopaling is your favorite?
Do you think the Koopalings will have separate Amiibos?
Does Roy Koopa's inclusion affect FE Roy's chances of being DLC?
The 7 Koopalings have come a long way since Brawl.
Bowser Jr. "I was wrong." Thread
Morton...he's so tiny!

Koopaling-icons!
I must have pictures/videos of the Koopalings
The Koopa Clown Car Lands Into The Battlefield!

The forums are clearly about the general fanbase of the characters and relevant information as they pertain to smash; relevant may be somewhat questionable, but my points stated in previous posts are certainly far more relevant than much of the statements listed above.
One of the threads were locked

Most of the threads were created before the JP release

Some of them were created when the game was released. This is usually the phase where people phase from speculation to competitive gameplay

The alternate costumes thread is talking about alt costumes which are really a part of Smash 4 anyway

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh thanks for reminding me. 9 of those need to be locked as well.
That is a joke, correct?
I've only been on this site since March, but I've never seen a single forum simply discuss how the characters play. That is a direct 'only for the competitive players' stance, is it not? Many players like to discuss the philosophies and fun which surrounds the characters, proven by the list given above.

Edit: @ Berserker. Berserker. That comment you made seems to cement my concern above. Is this forum purely for competitive players post release? I've never been here for that phase of the game, but that seems to be an exceptional loss to a large part of the smash community.

Last edited:
That is a joke, correct?
I've only been on this site since March, but I've never seen a single forum simply discuss how the characters play. That is a direct 'only for the competitive players' stance, is it not? Many players like to discuss the philosophies and fun which surrounds the characters, proven by the list given above.
The shulk boards is a part of a forum, aka: Smashboards

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Honestly, at least a few of those threads should get locked up or merged into the social or whatever. You can go and look at character forums back and Brawl and Melee and you'll notice how the majority of the topics focus on the discussion of the character in their respective game. Even a decent amount of the Smash 4 character sub-forums are getting in shape for Western release.

Several pre-release speculative threads have been taken care of (locked up), and aside from socials, you'll notice that the majority of the rising and more active threads are focused on character discussion/development in Smash 4. Discussions on pictures, costumes, marketing, fan theories and other general statements are typically found in the social threads now.

Over time, users will actually include background information about the character in a guide. Though the guide's purpose is mainly to provide an overview of the character in Smash, there are plenty that open things up by providing some background info on the character just for others to appreciate them more. Still, we don't need to have a separate thread for those kind of things in every character forum, especially when there's other locations available to discuss general character stuff.

That's just how things are and I wouldn't count on it changing. It's not like you can't talk about that kind of stuff on Smashboards at all, so personally, I don't see much of a problem.

Last edited:
That is a joke, correct?

Edit: @ Berserker. Berserker. That comment you made seems to cement my concern above. Is this forum purely for competitive players post release? I've never been here for that phase of the game, but that seems to be an exceptional loss to a large part of the smash community.
This part of the forums is meant for competitive players post release mostly.

You brought this up by talking about how the Shulk boards should be open to talking about where he came from, right?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I want to mention that while the character forums are primarily for competitive, I don't think casual players should be shut out completely by having all their topics locked.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That is a joke, correct?

Check the Melee and Brawl character forums. They focus on the gameplay.

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer
I get what you mean, but a lot of the casual topics could probably go into the social threads. In terms of discussion, the casual topics are generally snacks while gameplay related topics are the meals.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'd love to see another topic brought up now though...

Like...am I the only one who owns XC but plans on getting XC for 3DS if it comes to NA as well? Might have already been discussed, but *shrugs*

I want to mention that while the character forums are primarily for competitive, I don't think casual players should be shut out completely by having all their topics locked.
Which is why I repeatedly said that anyone can talk about anything in the social thread.

I'm totally fine with talks regarding non-competitive stuff which was why I was excited for the social thread. Competitive discussion is fun and all but it's nice to talk about things not related to it every once in a while

Although, I don't think threads that don't really contribute to the character's metagame or don't serve as a guide or help for those newcomers who want to play as Shulk deserve its own thread
That's just how things are and I wouldn't count on it changing. It's not like you can't talk about that kind of stuff on Smashboards at all, so personally, I don't see much of a problem.
Nintendo is lucky that I'm stinking rich

Too bad I'm cheap

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
While this is the case (his topic was merged to this, not locked), I'm merely stating anything not having directly to do with the character in SMASH should be either relegated to the Lighthouse/NintenZone, or this thread.

No one is saying fun can't be had elsewhere, but making a bunch of topics focusing on sales/relevance/whatever way someone got into Smash, i.e. speculating (if it wasn't obvious, from all pre-release speculating topics everywhere getting locked) feels redundant. No one's being threatened because a thread on "Buying another game for/because of Smash" gets locked while threads focusing on the ins and outs of how a character works in Smash get encouraged.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That seems to be what I misunderstood, as I was only on these boards during the pre-release. What was clearly stated above by multiple moderators is that anything not related to gameplay and competitive scene is relegated to a single social topic.

I do not understand why the the character forums would not then be subdivided even further to have an entire social section, because clearly there is high demand to discuss the fun character aspects of this game, and this is the most popular Smash Bros specific site on the web. It is not as if it could maintain organization by, within the thread, having therein an additional subsection of a social subforum in the character forums. A single thread to discuss anything not pertaining to competitive scene seems outcasting to much of the fanbase.

Side note: this has very little to do with my initial thread at this point. I'm trying to understand the evolution of this website as it goes from prerelease to post release, which seems to be extensively massive and, from what I gather so far in the responses, targeting only to a certain part of the Smash games and community.

Last edited:
No hard feelings from everyone. Let's all be happy :)

What happens if I say the "R" word? If you know what I mean

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
While this is the case (his topic was merged to this, not locked), I'm merely stating anything not having directly to do with the character in SMASH should be either relegated to the Lighthouse/NintenZone, or this thread.

No one is saying fun can't be had elsewhere, but making a bunch of topics focusing on sales/relevance/whatever way someone got into Smash, i.e. speculating (if it wasn't obvious, from all pre-release speculating topics everywhere getting locked) feels redundant. No one's being threatened because a thread on "Buying another game for/because of Smash" gets locked while threads focusing on the ins and outs of how a character works in Smash get encouraged.
Eh I didn't mean it like that. I look at it this way:

Mod of character board = community leader of board = each character board is a community itself

Therefore there's moderator discretion for how board works (casual vs. competitive) in regard to topics, but casual discussion shouldn't be discouraged entirely.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy

Like...am I the only one who owns XC but plans on getting XC for 3DS if it comes to NA as well? Might have already been discussed, but *shrugs*
It's Xenoblade on-the-go, so you aren't the only one~
I don't personally own a copy of Xenoblade Wii, but I'm hoping for a reduced price that will most likely not happen. :c

I don't personally own a copy of Xenoblade Wii, but I'm hoping for a reduced price that will most likely not happen. :c
Yeah. I remember. We were one of the few ******** about the New 3DS announcement with Xenoblade when Shulk's reveal happened :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I do not understand why the the character forums would not then be subdivided even further to have an entire social section, because clearly there is high demand to discuss the fun character aspects of this game, and this is the most popular Smash Bros specific site on the web.
This isn't gamefaqs. What high demand are you talking about? If this so called demand exists, I'd like to see it last beyond October 10th.

Mod of character board = community leader of board = each character board is a community itself
Calling moderators community leaders is a stretch. A moderator's job is to ensure things go smoothly and enforce the rules.

I think I'll pass, but I'll be recommending it to everyone that gets it. I got the Wii version the day after Christmas so I don't have the urge to get the handheld one.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Yeah. I remember. We were one of the few *****ing about the New 3DS announcement with Xenoblade when Shulk's reveal happened :laugh:
Yeah, I was pretty miffed at the time of the announcement. But it was only during that moment.
Now, I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement for a date of release in the West. After all, upgrading to newer models isn't a foreign concept to me. xD

I wonder if Nintendo/Monolith Soft are planning to "streamline" the game a bit.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Calling moderators community leaders is a stretch. A moderator's job is to ensure things go smoothly and enforce the rules.
Except more often than not it's true. Before I was modded I used to hang out on the Brawl Zelda character boards, and @Kataefi did basically everything for us.

When I ended up being modded for Brawl King Dedede, I followed his example because I wanted to help that particular community of Dedede players and their metagame grow.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It's kinda like how I'm cool with Lemmy's Shulk screenshot thread. You simply share your Shulk Smash 4 screenshots there. It's not competitive at all, but it's related to Smash 4 and I'm perfectly fine with it hanging around.

So basically...not every thread here has to go uber-competitive mode with Advanced Technique topics, yadda yadda, but it's nice to make sure it at least flows with Smash 4. Again, like the screenshots :)

Reduced price, huh? Might be an old timer by the time that happens :troll:

I think I'll pass, but I'll be recommending it to everyone that gets it. I got the Wii version the day after Christmas so I don't have the urge to get the handheld one.
That's understandable. I'd probably get it just out of love for XC, it's "on-the-go", and it's another game to beef up my RPG collection for the 3DS :4shulk:

Yeah, I was pretty miffed at the time of the announcement. But it was only during that moment.
Now, I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement for a date of release in the West. After all, upgrading to newer models isn't a foreign concept to me. xD

I wonder if Nintendo/Monolith Soft are planning to "streamline" the game a bit.
I'm betting the release date will be a month before Xenoblade X

Edit: I'm fine with letting the mods handle the threads. Alright then, it's up to you then @ Hokori Hokori , @Shurui Tamashi , and @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I think the social aspect of these forums could/would be better suited to be organized then. They are pretty chaotic and while that is part of the fun, it is not as if everything that is not competitive somehow is lumped into one topic that can be interwoven, similar to how now we are discussing the meta evolution of this forum, amidst the actual topic of the forum at hand, and this is without many users while we are all on.

As for @ Big-Cat Big-Cat on high demand for social threads; I think my list above spoke for itself. If majority of them are not related to competitive game play, and they are not, obviously there is more than competitive gameplay which likes to be discussed.

Anywho, I'm at the first town in Xenoblade. Any tips on what to trade or buy to advance more quickly?

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
On the topic of Xenoblade 3DS, is there anyone who would have preferred the port/an HD remake for the Wii U instead?
I wouldn't have mind either way, but I'm glad they decided to bring the game over to the new 3DS.

I'm noticing that as I grow older, my patience for games, let alone long ones such as Xenoblade, gets thinner and thinner, so the ability to take it along where I go and use Sleep Mode is fantastic!

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Welp, if there's anything I learned out of this experience, its that mods can merge threads.

Anyway:
Nope, double the xenoblade, double the fun... Or would it be thrice with XCX now?

On the topic of Xenoblade 3DS, is there anyone who would have preferred the port/an HD remake for the Wii U instead?
I wouldn't have mind either way, but I'm glad they decided to bring the game over to the new 3DS.

I'm noticing that as I grow older, my patience for games, let alone long ones such as Xenoblade, gets thinner and thinner, so the ability to take it along where I go and use Sleep Mode is fantastic!
I was actually rooting for an HD remake for the Wii U but well..... I don't know with Nintendo. Maybe they wanted to give it a good start in the 3DS since the 3DS has a large user base which might help encourage people to buy the Wii U for XCX

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's kinda like how I'm cool with Lemmy's Shulk screenshot thread. You simply share your Shulk Smash 4 screenshots there. It's not competitive at all, but it's related to Smash 4 and I'm perfectly fine with it hanging around.

So basically...not every thread here has to go uber-competitive mode with Advanced Technique topics, yadda yadda, but it's nice to make sure it at least flows with Smash 4. Again, like the screenshots :)
That seems like a fair medium. Though I still hold my stance that making a thread saying "Hey go play/buy this other game so you can appreciate someone more in this game" isn't the way to go about "educating/introducing" people to a character. Same with most general non-Smash/game-centric threads (bar music since those could technically still be speculated on, though I don't think they directly have to do with a character so much as the series overall).

Anyway, just because they have a better chance of being seen by fans (or curious non-fans) and thus get removed/relocated to other boards doesn't mean the SSB4 character forums equate to being "No-Fun/Casuals allowed" places where fans of all types can't gather. A Social is more than enough for all general/off-topic talk (as in anything not having to do with Smash, not just gameplay/competitive stuff), as would something like a Skype Chat Group.

And if nothing else, making a XB/C topic outside of this board should encourage people to explore more of the site. But I digress, dropping this now. Once the game comes out/people are actually playing there won't/shouldn't even be a need to talk about anything but Shulk in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
you should baby fiora since she turns out really op, buy all her items NAO /tears
I should what baby fiora?

That seems like a fair medium. Though I still hold my stance that making a thread saying "Hey go play/buy this other game so you can appreciate someone more in this game" isn't the way to go about "educating/introducing" people to a character. Same with most general non-Smash/game-centric threads (bar music since those could technically still be speculated on, though I don't think they directly have to do with a character so much as the series overall).

Anyway, just because they have a better chance of being seen by fans (or curious non-fans) and thus get removed/relocated to other boards doesn't mean the SSB4 character forums equate to being "No-Fun/Casuals allowed" places where fans of all types can't gather. A Social is more than enough for all general/off-topic talk (as in anything not having to do with Smash, not just gameplay/competitive stuff), as would something like a Skype Chat Group.

And if nothing else, making a XB/C topic outside of this board should encourage people to explore more of the site. But I digress, dropping this now. Once the game comes out/people are actually playing there won't/shouldn't even be a need to talk about anything but Shulk in Smash.
That isn't what my thread was at all. It was, "Hey, I just learned who Shulk is by learning where he came from and why he deserves to be in smash." My initial post references appreciating him in the game more and learning the points of references constantly. It never mentioned 'Go buy the game just because it had Shulk.' A much more appropriate summation of my thread would be "WELCOME TO SHULK."

Last edited:
I should what baby fiora?

That isn't what my thread was at all. It was, "Hey, I just learned who Shulk is by learning where he came from and why he deserves to be in smash." My initial post references appreciating him in the game more and learning the points of references constantly. It never mentioned 'Go buy the game just because it had Shulk.' A much more appropriate summation of my thread would be "WELCOME TO SHULK."
He used baby as a verb. I made sure by checking the dictionary, because if it wasn't a verb I'd go grammar nazi laugh at Aerodrome :laugh:

Let's just drop the topic and move on to something.

Actually, I'm laughing so hard right now even if I disregard the whole baby thing. Just do what he says. Fiora is your main DPS anyway

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He did in fact use it as a verb, and I did miss that. Thanks. Back to some Xenoblade between Glee. Video games help satiate my missing NYC :(

Top Bottom