• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

To be fair, shofu did start improving once he started getting used to Shulk.
As feared, Bowser looks like he can wreck but then again, Shofu forgot about the shield breaking capabilities of Bowser.... Damn Bowser...

But seriously, Bowser looks like the real deal but I think that we might have him be figured out as the metagame of Smash 4 grows.

I'll actually give a lot credit to Shofu for getting used to Shulk fairly quickly and for winning most of his for glory matches

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As feared, Bowser looks like he can wreck but then again, Shofu forgot about the shield breaking capabilities of Bowser.... Damn Bowser...

But seriously, Bowser looks like the real deal but I think that we might have him be figured out as the metagame of Smash 4 grows.

I'll actually give a lot credit to Shofu for getting used to Shulk fairly quickly and for winning most of his for glory matches
MAD DOG BOWSER doesn't take prisoners.

But seriously though, Bowser being an actual threat is a good thing, mainly because it's compensating for the terrible performance he has last time. But of course, he's still hindered by the general archetype inherently, so basically respect his space and exploit the varies openings.

But seriously though, Bowser being an actual threat is a good thing, mainly because it's compensating for the terrible performance he has last time. But of course, he's still hindered by the general archetype inherently, so basically respect his space and exploit the varies openings.
No one is used to respecting his space and because they aren't used to it, they're throwing out derp calls on banning Bowser from tourneys instead of trying out a new strategy... like playing safe

The opinions on Bowser being OP are too preemptive but we all know that by now

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
No one is used to respecting his space and because they aren't used to it, they're throwing out derp calls on banning Bowser from tourneys instead of trying out a new strategy... like playing safe
Who would've thought that living like :4larry: would get you banned at tournaments.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Would you say better or worse than Kid Icarus Uprising if you have full bars?
I'll say a little better , sure is better than brawls online that online was just horrible. I think it will start to lag a little if you have too many things on the stage but I don't know about that so yeah.

I'll say a little better , sure is better than brawls online that online was just horrible. I think it will start to lag a little if you have too many things on the stage but I don't know about that so yeah.
I saw gameplay of Maximilian playing with 4 players with items on and holy ****, that lag is crap

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I saw gameplay of Maximilian playing with 4 players with items on and holy ****, that lag is crap
yeah that happens a lot if too many people are online. If I'm going to play online I think I play on the Wii U version of the game so I don't have to deal with WI-FI, wired is some much better I wish the 3ds didn't have to be WI-FI only.:ohwell:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm just happy that my favorite characters are looking pretty solid.

Shulk: Yes
Robin: Yes
Bowser: Yes
Ganondorf: We got some more work to do, but I'm going to give you a "Yes" as well.

So, is it okay if we started a competitive thread for Shulk or something like that?

Oh and it looks like that Monado art (custom) with less duration and better buffs looks like a MASSIVE double edge sword
Aerodrome said:
MONADO ART THREE

Stance | Damage Taken Increase/Decrease | Damage Dealt Increase/Decrease | Weight Increase/Decrease
翔 (Jump) | ? | None. | ?
疾 (Speed) | None. | -43.5% (0.575x multiplier) | None.
盾 (Shield) | -47.4% (0.5359...x multiplier) | -44% (0.5599...x multiplier) | +87
斬 (Buster) | +44%? | +68% (1.6799...x multiplier) | ?
撃 (Smash) | None. | -60% (0.4x multiplier) | -35
Edit: Just to clear up, perfectly "timing" your counter does not do anything. The second clip in the character trailer is only another animation for Shulk when holding the control stick forward

Oh and I'm posting this video for @Jellyfishn :D
Good match. Turns out speed is going to be needed against Rosalina

I think you should use shield by the way when your percentage is high. That's all I can give. I don't know the game as much as you do. Lol

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Shameless plug time \o/

I'm getting social media stuff set up early. I actually wouldn't mind getting good and getting myself out there. To that end, I set up a new Twitter (don't want to juggle Smash and my writing on the same one) and a Twitch account.

Speaking of Twitch, can someone verify if this site is safe? I'm not about to send my DS to someone without proof that they're reliable, and if I intend to use Twitch, I kiiiinda need a way to actually stream stuff.

Shameless plug time \o/

I'm getting social media stuff set up early. I actually wouldn't mind getting good and getting myself out there. To that end, I set up a new Twitter (don't want to juggle Smash and my writing on the same one) and a Twitch account.

Speaking of Twitch, can someone verify if this site is safe? I'm not about to send my DS to someone without proof that they're reliable, and if I intend to use Twitch, I kiiiinda need a way to actually stream stuff.
Well, a lot of people use it. I haven't heard any complaints about twitch so far.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, a lot of people use it. I haven't heard any complaints about twitch so far.
I'm aware Twitch is fine. I meant the site offering to refit the 3DS with a capture card. I don't want to send my 3DS out only to find it stolen.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So, is it okay if we started a competitive thread for Shulk or something like that?

Oh and it looks like that Monado art (custom) with less duration and better buffs looks like a MASSIVE double edge sword

Edit: Just to clear up, perfectly "timing" your counter does not do anything. The second clip in the character trailer is only another animation for Shulk when holding the control stick forward

Oh and I'm posting this video for @Jellyfishn :D
Good match. Turns out speed is going to be needed against Rosalina

I think you should use shield by the way when your percentage is high. That's all I can give. I don't know the game as much as you do. Lol
Makes me really want to use shulk!! Agh! I guess I'll keep working on my Mario combos for now... even though I have no intent to main Mario.

Oh yeah, and that ssb4 Shulk modset I linked to yesterday is just an early beta form. The maker is still working on a lot with it.

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Been doing a lot of practise room with Shulk today. Gaur Plains + Taunt spamming helped set the move.

Now I just need to stop messing up with him in For Glory, so many suicides after failed monado switchings and Back Slashing into oblivion...

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I think @ Backgammon Backgammon used that site for his capture card so he might know more.

afaik it's safe
Tagged by Aero into the Shulk thread... I feel like I've been touched inappropriately.

Yes, 3dscapture is legit. ZeRo used it for his.
Personally, I live in Europe (UK), so I used this site instead. The two sites are close affiliates, it would simply be which is cheaper for you to send the 3DS off to.

However, I would very highly recommend buying VERY soon if you can. Both sites have very limited stock.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I've been working on an art/story piece for my own amusement, in which Shulk was being paired with Duck-Hunt Duck & Dog (I've got plans for each of the stories for the character sets I've chosen to draw inspiration from more familiar concepts, and this will be a slightly cliche 'pet and new owner adventure buddy-story' sideplot).

As a part of this I throw in a new Monado symbol for Shulk - 狩

Apparently this means "hunt", "raid", and or "gather".

This made me wonder what other symbols would be cool to see inspired in Shulk and the Monado by finding friendship and rivalry in other Smash Bros characters if Subspace Emmisary were back?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Is Xenoblade Chronicles kind of like dotHack? From what little I've watched of the gameplay it seems like it but that's not really my type of game usually so I'm not certain- However, the dotHack GU series is my wife's absolute favorite and I'd like to get her a similar game that she hasn't played before for her birthday... What say you guys?

(I've been watching the cutscenes and they're super legit)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
We'll have a new Moveset Data & Discussion topic up sometime soon (which will also be accepting of theory-crafting and Monado Art tactics). For the time being, it will serve as the "competitive thread". A MU discussion topic will also be on the way, which is competitive in nature. However, I won't open it up Oct 3rd since I'd like more people to have the game to really get into things.

Other than that, people are free to make other threads. For example, if an Advanced Technique comes up, a separate topic is appropriate since there should be a lot to talk about.

I've been working on an art/story piece for my own amusement, in which Shulk was being paired with Duck-Hunt Duck & Dog (I've got plans for each of the stories for the character sets I've chosen to draw inspiration from more familiar concepts, and this will be a slightly cliche 'pet and new owner adventure buddy-story' sideplot).

As a part of this I throw in a new Monado symbol for Shulk - 狩

Apparently this means "hunt", "raid", and or "gather".

This made me wonder what other symbols would be cool to see inspired in Shulk and the Monado by finding friendship and rivalry in other Smash Bros characters if Subspace Emmisary were back?
Went ahead and moved this to the Shulk Social as it doesn't really warrant it's own thread now.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here that may have some ideas for you though :)

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I just played 20 matches against Leffen in For Glory, 5 with Shulk, and he basically destroyed me with any char he used ;_; it's a long road ahead, espescially for noobs like me.

D

Deleted member

I just played 20 matches against Leffen in For Glory, 5 with Shulk, and he basically destroyed me with any char he used ;_; it's a long road ahead, espescially for noobs like me.
Shulk will definitely be one of those hard to master characters. You need to know what are the appropriate Monado Arts that you use at that current time and how to take advantage of his range.
It will be a long road ahead indeed. Once mastered, I think Shulk will be a beast in competitive play.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Went ahead and moved this to the Shulk Social as it doesn't really warrant it's own thread now.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people here that may have some ideas for you though :)
Oh, okay cool; thanks!

May I ask if you have any thoughts on cool symbols you'd like to see Shulk's desperation invent due to the bad influence of his new friends?

This one is really random but I'd love to see him stuck dealing with Wario in a cutscene and having to call out "Monado Cleanse" with the symbol 浄 (which apparently means clean; purify; cleanse; exorcise - all of which I suspect Wario could benefit from being on the receiving end of). - Then again I may have some personal distaste for Wario!

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Tagged by Aero into the Shulk thread... I feel like I've been touched inappropriately.

Yes, 3dscapture is legit. ZeRo used it for his.
Personally, I live in Europe (UK), so I used this site instead. The two sites are close affiliates, it would simply be which is cheaper for you to send the 3DS off to.

However, I would very highly recommend buying VERY soon if you can. Both sites have very limited stock.
Thanks for the help. I'll probably purchase it some time tonight or tomorrow, then send off my system Monday morning. I want to have at least a few matches in the demo with my partner before I send off my system (besides, the post office is closed on Sundays, iirc).

Now to hope and pray to Meyneth that I can earn enough to compensate for the frickin' 250 bucks I'm spending on this. Perhaps a Donate button on my Twitch page? I think @Jellyfishn does that, yeah?

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Thanks for the help. I'll probably purchase it some time tonight or tomorrow, then send off my system Monday morning. I want to have at least a few matches in the demo with my partner before I send off my system (besides, the post office is closed on Sundays, iirc).

Now to hope and pray to Meyneth that I can earn enough to compensate for the frickin' 250 bucks I'm spending on this. Perhaps a Donate button on my Twitch page? I think @Jellyfishn does that, yeah?
If you want more info on it, feel free to PM me and I can tell you about my experience with the European site. :4jigglypuff:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
If you want more info on it, feel free to PM me and I can tell you about my experience with the European site. :4jigglypuff:
Awesome, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm set for the moment though.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So, something I just uncovered (Hokori and I will detail it more later in the moveset thread) but it appears Shulk is similar to Roy. His attacks have more knockback and deal more damage when they connect at the "casing" of the Monado (this only applies to moves that use the energy beam however, for example Jab is static). It seems to affect all his energy sword moves the same. Basically, if ONLY the beam of the attack hits, it deals less damage and knockback. However, if the metal part (the Monado itself) hits, the attack deals more damage and knockback. This is really evident in Bair for example, 7% with just the beam, but if the sword connects, it does 11% (and more knockback).

The only move this doesn't seem to really apply to is his Nair. For some reason, Nair is doing more damage at the beginning of the move, as well as infront of it at a downward angle. Stil trying to figure out what makes Nair tick. Also Backslash is also kind of weird. If the move hits at the tip or the core, it does less damage. In the middle it does more for some reason.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Only thing that baffled me was 7:39. :surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised: Why did Ness' wake-up attack do so much shield damage?!
So, something I just uncovered (Hokori and I will detail it more later in the moveset thread) but it appears Shulk is similar to Roy. His attacks have more knockback and deal more damage when they connect at the "casing" of the Monado (this only applies to moves that use the energy beam however, for example Jab is static). It seems to affect all his energy sword moves the same. Basically, if ONLY the beam of the attack hits, it deals less damage and knockback. However, if the metal part (the Monado itself) hits, the attack deals more damage and knockback. This is really evident in Bair for example, 7% with just the beam, but if the sword connects, it does 11% (and more knockback).

The only move this doesn't seem to really apply to is his Nair. For some reason, Nair is doing more damage at the beginning of the move, as well as infront of it at a downward angle. Stil trying to figure out what makes Nair tick. Also Backslash is also kind of weird. If the move hits at the tip or the core, it does less damage. In the middle it does more for some reason.
Indeed. I'm fond of the Blade portion dealing more knock-back & base % damage than the beam portion. It makes us re-think if we really want to KO with the Monado blade-box while in Smash Art.

Perhaps with the lack of cracking, the sweet-spot of the Monado's blade portion is specific, anything around the core isn't notably strong, but the blade area past the core & before ending the metal blade's tip, is where the entire meaty hit is located. Or maybe it's the very tip of the Monado blade portion.:urg:

Last edited:
Is that... A Shulk player who actually knows what they're doing!?!? PRAISE MEYNETH!!!!
I think you should go to the video thread. There are more Shulk players there that know what they're doing

Well, you'll be the judge for that. You should check out jellyfishn, Syuton (Even though he was a bit eh against Diddy. Diddy was a monster though) and Chauzu. Omegaevolution's also good with Shulk despite what he says in the video description

Last edited:
Top Bottom