• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fascinating though the Geno's chances thing is, this isn't really the right thread for all that.

This here topic is for discussion about this particular Marioverse character and his particular slim chance of getting in as a playable character:

Geno's low chances should be discussed in the Geno thread really.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
PLOT TWIST

Captain Toad does not get in...
BUT!

Captain Toadette, reporting for duty! Toad rep + Female rep!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I will headbutt Sakurai into the ground like a tent peg if this occurs. I'm watching you Mashed Potatoes Samurai.
Really? I always thought Sock Ur Eye would do something like this.

or better yet, CT being everything besides a player character. Announcer? It's CT. Stage Boss? Yeah, you can fight him. Hazard? Yup, one of those, too. Normal Boss? Definitely! Assist Trophy? Sure, why not! :troll:

They really should show a new CT:TT trailer, though. preferably with the introduction of Captain Toadette.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Fascinating though the Geno's chances thing is, this isn't really the right thread for all that.

This here topic is for discussion about this particular Marioverse character and his particular slim chance of getting in as a playable character:

Geno's low chances should be discussed in the Geno thread really.
"This here topic?"

This thread ain't big enough for the both of 'em...

Last edited:

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
His chances are minus though. I will never understand why Geno is SO popular.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think i'll wait until after treasure tracker is out before i have ago at making a moveset for him

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i think i'll wait until after treasure tracker is out before i have ago at making a moveset for him
Similar. Although I guess Smash will be out by then for 3DS...and for us two(I see you're Scottish, I'm your immortal enemy; the English) the Wii U version may even be out before we get Treasure Tracker...;;

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Similar. Although I guess Smash will be out by then for 3DS...and for us two(I see you're Scottish, I'm your immortal enemy; the English) the Wii U version may even be out before we get Treasure Tracker...;;
thats true, but there still no harm in making a moveset there still dlc and smash 5

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
This is such a disappointment that we won't have Captain Toad Treasure Tracker as soon as it launches everywhere else... A big slap in the face, I'll have to be careful not to watch videos so as to not get spoiled. Cause if you know what every level looks like before you play the game, it loses it's magic. Especially since I don't think there will be a lot of replay value unless amiibos give a new flavor to the game.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
This is such a disappointment that we won't have Captain Toad Treasure Tracker as soon as it launches everywhere else... A big slap in the face, I'll have to be careful not to watch videos so as to not get spoiled. Cause if you know what every level looks like before you play the game, it loses it's magic. Especially since I don't think there will be a lot of replay value unless amiibos give a new flavor to the game.
Yeah, that's what happened with me and 3D World. I still love the game, but that first-time feeling kinda got shaken off because I'd seen videos of people playing it everywhere. Mario Kart 8 I tried staying away, but even then I knew all the courses and such since people posted it literally everywhere I went, so there was no surprise in the courses I would be unlocking next.

So I'm gonna keep myself pure until Treasure Tracker finally comes out.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd love to say I'd be able to do otherwise, but aside from avoiding watching gameplay I really am intrigued to find out if Nintendo are smart enough to have Wario as the antagonist of this game or not. Or if anyone other than Captain Toad appears....like Toadsworth or Toadette for example.

I think we should make a deal though to keep all spoilers in proper spoiler tags.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Play smrpg then you will know why he is popular
Geno just has a small but loud fanbase. Nintendo doesn't care about Geno. Neither does Square Enix. Geno doesn't have his own game anyway.

Let's drop this Geno topic and focus on the Toad topic.

So... I want Toad to have his own villain. Mario has Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and a bunch of one-time villains from RPG games. Mario has his own rouges gallery. Luigi has King Boo. Yoshi has Baby Bowser, Kamek, and... ugh, Bowser (stop time travelling to the past). Peach has Bowser in her own game.

Knowing Nintendo, Bowser is likely going to be the villain in Toad's own game. I wish Wario or even Wart would be the villain in Toad's own game. I want Toad to establish his own identity and his games be nothing like Mario games, you know?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Geno just has a small but loud fanbase. Nintendo doesn't care about Geno. Neither does Square Enix. Geno doesn't have his own game anyway.

Let's drop this Geno topic and focus on the Toad topic.

So... I want Toad to have his own villain. Mario has Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and a bunch of one-time villains from RPG games. Mario has his own rouges gallery. Luigi has King Boo. Yoshi has Baby Bowser, Kamek, and... ugh, Bowser (stop time travelling to the past). Peach has Bowser in her own game.

Knowing Nintendo, Bowser is likely going to be the villain in Toad's own game. I wish Wario or even Wart would be the villain in Toad's own game. I want Toad to establish his own identity and his games be nothing like Mario games, you know?
I wish Toad would have his own rival, too, but knowing Nintendo, it seems like that won't happen. They seem very wary to change up the story very much since they think it will drive people away. Honestly, if Treasure Tracker had a good story, I'd want it even more than I do now, but I doubt the story will get any better than Super Mario Sunshine's.

Eh... It wouldn't make sense for Bowser to be the villain. Just saying

Then again, it's Nintendo but I have my doubts

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
We've guessed possibly Wario but has anyone considered Captain Toad's possible rival be Nabbit?

00:06 - 00:49

A speedy thief who constantly plunders Toad houses, forcing Toad to give chase?

Since Wario is arguably Mario's rival(barely at this point) maybe they'd go the route of having you compete with Nabbit for who can grab the most treasures?

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Nabbit is a perfect idea!

Plot: Nabbit plunders a Toad house, stealing all the treasures for himself. However, Nabbit doesn't realize his bag has a rip in it, and treasure is spilled over all of the however many worlds in the game. Nabbit rushes to collect the dropped treasure, but can Captain Toad collect it all first and bring justice to the Toads?

Kinda like Mario saving Peach, but Captain Toad is searching for lost treasure.

Thoughts?

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Wart? No. I would love to see him reappear, but he won't because:

1) Not actually a Mario character, was carried over from Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.
2) Not even recognizable as a Mario character outside of the US.

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I think Nabbit would be a good idea, but for some reason, I kinda prefer Wario because they have a long history of rivalries. However, I have no qualms if Nintendo decided to make Nabbit the main villain.

But what are the odds of that? I have a bad feeling Nintendo wants to resort to Bowser again or worse...have no main objective at all. In the past, they've come up with at least a flimsy story to support the game, but what if they decide to pull it altogether? I'd be kinda...meh. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing intro cutscenes and such with Captain Toad.

Anyways, I want Nintendo to step outside the Bowser antagonist box and give Captain someone else or someone new. A different enemy would further establish his franchise as unique, after all...and further increase his chances of getting in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know what would be the bigger question?

If Bowser was a villain, then what would come to the Mario Bros and Peach? Would they see Capt.Toad in the ending, or similar?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Oh dear..I really hope the main antagonist isn't Bowser.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the character - but battling him in each Mario game has just been so tiring as of late.

Wario, Wart, heck even Nabbit would be MUCH better. Heck...even an evil Toad might be a twist.

P.S. Also seeing some of the art in this game is so adorable! xD

PixelPasta

Smash Lord

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the character - but battling him in each Mario game has just been so tiring as of late.

Wario, Wart, heck even Nabbit would be MUCH better. Heck...even an evil Toad might be a twist.
I completely agree. It would be so boring for them to use Bowser again.

I'd love to see an evil toad, though!
I imagine he would be sort of comically evil, not unlike many classic silent cartoon baddies. I'm picturing somewhat of a toad version of Dlck Dastardly!
Boss fights could have him blowing up Captain Toad's minecart tracks with bob-ombs, among other stereotypically villaneous shenanigans.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
An evil Toad would be hilarious to see and extremely unique too. xD

A fiend who just loves playing pranks but is at the same time evil. :p Perhaps he can be the greedy toad instead in this game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Watoad? With white skulls on his purple mushroom cap like the Poison Mushroom in Super Mario All-Stars? Sure, why not?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
An evil Toad? Sure, why not. Or, in a plot twist, the villain is...

Yoshi.

Just kidding xD It's the Toad Brigade who rebels against their Captain which is why only genericly colored Toads appear in 3D World! That would be pretty cool, but Wario/Wart/Nabbit/someone new would be great, too. As long as it's not Bowser.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

at the very least the should stop having him grow big for the final battle its getting very overdone

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
An evil Toad would be hilarious to see and extremely unique too. xD

A fiend who just loves playing pranks but is at the same time evil. :p Perhaps he can be the greedy toad instead in this game.
YES. EVIL TOAD, BABY. With black spots and a black vest and mean eyebrows.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thinking back on discussions about potential Mario newcomers... people used to think that Rosalina would be a Peach clone and Bowser Jr. would be a Bowser clone... but Lumas and gravity-based gameplay mechanics that Mario himself used in Galaxy games helped differentiate Rosalina from Peach and she stands out as the first puppeteer character in Smash... and the paintbrush wouldn't be that interesting since it is basically a sword with a paintbrush model... but the Koopa Clown Car makes Bowser Jr. stand out as the first mech fighter in Smash. That said, I concede defeat. Congratulations to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. supporters!

So what does Toad has that can make him stand out from the crowd? Everything Toad can do, Mario and Luigi already can do... and Toad is not needed if Dr. Mario is back. Toad needs to have something unique to him and only him. As much as I'm ecstatic with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, it does little to differentiate Toad from the Mario Bros. and even Peach... yes, Toad can pick up vegetables but Peach already has dibs on the move. The pickaxe, as awesome as it is, is not that unique if it functions like the hammer from Donkey Kong... and what if Sakurai decides to make the pickaxe an item in SSB5?

What I'm about to suggest might be too drastic for Toad... but hear me out... have you noticed how Toad somehow makes blocks move in his own game? I'm talking about the Game Pad where you touch the screen to make blocks move... well, what if Toad in Smash can make blocks appear out of nowhere to trap opponents, block incoming projectiles, or prevent opponents from grabbing the ledges? You know... like Dr. Wright Assist Trophy. Maybe that could help Toad stand out from the sea of Mario candidates for SSB5 (IMO, his main competition is Paper Mario now).

Last edited:

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
I had thought of the same idea once, but it using the block as Captain Toad's up special. That said, a character who can alter the battlefield for their favor makes an interesting scenario... it also references Captain Toad in the games: using the environment to your advantage!

That said, I don't believe an evil Toad is very creative, and Wart wasn't even Wart - he was first Mamu. Nabbit strikes me with creativity, a thief, and I'd like to see Nintendo experiment with his true form - what's under his cloak (hopefully it's not another Mario guy like Mr. Pipe was).

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Actually...

In Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, Mamu's true origins lie in the Tale of the Dream World of Muu. In the original storyline, Mamu had taken control of the Muu people's Dream Machine, turning it into a Nightmare Machine that produced monsters and mayhem. However, the Muu people knew of his weakness to vegetables and used them to force a surrender, bringing peace back to the Dream World.

In the "real" world, the green-dressed monkey Rūsa gives the storybook to the twins Poki and Piki. Towards the end of the book, the twins quarrel and tear out the final page of the story, thus erasing the book's ending. Freed, Mamu pulls through the pages of the storybook and kidnaps the two children, fulfilling his dream of conquering Muu. The two kids pleaded for help, and Rūsa hurries away, soon coming across an Arabian family, which consists of Papa, Mama and their son and daughter, Imajin and Lina. After being informed of the situation, the Arabian family jumps through the storybook and embarks on a journey to save the two children and free Muu from Mamu's reign.

After all of his army and leaders have been defeated by the Arabian family, Mamu himself engages them in battle in the castle. After Mamu's defeat, the inhabitants are saved, completing the story. The two kidnapped children are rescued from their cages and return with the Arabian family back to their world, where the game ends.

Basically, the real Super Mario Bros. 2 was deemed too difficult for overseas players, and Miyamoto was more involved in the production of Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, so the main characters were replaced with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad.

Top Bottom