• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I support him getting in! Not that I'm really a fan of Captain Toad, I think he does deserve to be in Smash.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys seen the DLC that was recently announced for Mario Kart 8, with characters such as Cat Peach, Tanooki Mario, and even Link? Seeing that makes me pretty hopeful for Smash Bros. DLC, which, of course, makes me pretty hopeful for Captain Toad. Maybe he won't make it in the starting roster, but I can really see him having a chance with DLC (especially if Treasure Tracker is a hit!) What do you guys think? Does the Mario Kart 8 DLC change your thoughts on Smash DLC?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not holding my breath for Captain Toad to get in SSB4. But for Mario Kart 8? Hell yeah! If we have four different versions of Mario and Peach... I think it is perfectly fine to have two different versions of Toad.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I would love having Captain Toad in Mario Kart 8! Perhaps his heavy backpack would move him up a weight class or two? As for Smash... Perhaps it's silly of me, but my hope for Captain Toad has been sparked again. I don't have extremely high hopes, but it's nice to feel that small ember of hope burning inside once again... and hopefully it won't go out this time!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Captain Toad for DLC. If he's not in i would at least like a Stage/Trophy!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love having Captain Toad in Mario Kart 8! Perhaps his heavy backpack would move him up a weight class or two? As for Smash... Perhaps it's silly of me, but my hope for Captain Toad has been sparked again. I don't have extremely high hopes, but it's nice to feel that small ember of hope burning inside once again... and hopefully it won't go out this time!
OOOOHHHH!!!! Yes! It would be awesome to have Captain Toad weighting as much as Metal Mario because he has all those diamonds in his backpack.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Man oh man, this Mario Kart 8 DLC got me hyped! XD Link in Mario Kart?! What is this madness? XD

This makes me hopeful for Captain Toad DLC in Smash too! I sure hope this works out!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I was really hyped when I found out about the DLC; F-Zero kart and course? Link and Zelda course? Villager and Isabelle plus Animal Crossing course? Dry Bowser? New and returning courses and cups? Yes plz :3

But what's weird is that you have the opportunity to switch between colors of Yoshi and Shy Guy...but not Toad. A tad disappointing, but one day...
What if they had more to announce? :D

Edit: I'm actually not so sure about the Zelda course, but I saw a new course that resembles a Zelda forest well (to me)...

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
What if they add Toad recolours in the next DLC pack with more Nintendo characters? :0

Flying Squirrel Toad? Captain Toad? Propeller Toad? Cat Toad? Bring it on Nintendo! xD I'm surprised Captain Falcon isn't in this yet. :p

I can see some variation of Toad added next along with a variation of Luigi. DLC packs for MK8 are genius.

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
What if they add Toad recolours in the next DLC pack with more Nintendo characters? :0

Flying Squirrel Toad? Captain Toad? Propeller Toad? Cat Toad? Bring it on Nintendo! xD I'm surprised Captain Falcon isn't in this yet. :p

I can see some variation of Toad added next along with a variation of Luigi. DLC packs for MK8 are genius.
And not at all too late; I'm personally very excited for them to come out. I thought they were coming along with the Mercedes-Benz tomorrow...but it's okay, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

After seeing Nintendo's latest moves, I'm not gonna be shocked if there's a good amount of DLC for Smash

The amiibo + smash is basically an obvious combo that's screaming, "Potential DLC content gaiz!"

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
£7 for three characters, four vehicles and eight tracks? That's a steal. Nintendo are doing some amazing priced DLC.

Seems they're really pushing the DLC thing...and I can't say I've been disappointed with a single character pack yet between MK8 and Mario Golf.

Man, the life of a Toad supporter eh?

Someone needs to draw a chart with all the peaks and troughs of hope we've had...it'd make for an amazing rollercoaster track.

This week alone; Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario leak essentially murders Captain being on the initial roster...and then Link gets in Mario Kart and suddenly DLC is a very real thing.

£7 for three characters, four vehicles and eight tracks? That's a steal. Nintendo are doing some amazing priced DLC.

Seems they're really pushing the DLC thing...and I can't say I've been disappointed with a single character pack yet between MK8 and Mario Golf.

Man, the life of a Toad supporter eh?

Someone needs to draw a chart with all the peaks and troughs of hope we've had...it'd make for an amazing rollercoaster track.

This week alone; Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario leak essentially murders Captain being on the initial roster...and then Link gets in Mario Kart and suddenly DLC is a very real thing.
To be honest, I don't know why you guys were banking on him being on the initial roster

His game is too new. That's pretty much the end of it. I don't expect Jr. to return in Smash 5 if we go with the logic that some mouth breathers state regarding, "The next Smash is based on the previous generation of consoles"

His only way in is via DLC which may happen depending on what Sakurai will do OR Nintendo will force him to add DLC content. Any DLC that will help print a good amount of money and also at the same time, satisfy the Nintendo fanbase will probably interest Nintendo

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's expected that Yoshi gets tons of recolors just like what's happened with Mario Tennis Open... it's BS that Shy Guy gets recolors before Toad! Argh! It would be so nice to race as Blue Toad, Green Toad, Yellow Toad, and Purple Toad in addition to Captain Toad as a separate character. Looks like I got to get on Miiverse to advocate for Toad again.

It's expected that Yoshi gets tons of recolors just like what's happened with Mario Tennis Open... it's BS that Shy Guy gets recolors before Toad! Argh! It would be so nice to race as Blue Toad, Green Toad, Yellow Toad, and Purple Toad in addition to Captain Toad as a separate character. Looks like I got to get on Miiverse to advocate for Toad again.
Eh. I'd rather not have a ton of Toad recolors. Makes him more generic. I'd rather have a Captain Toad costume addition.

But screw that noise, he's getting his own game and one of its main emphasis is that Toad finally gets the spotlight so who am I to complain? :|

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I'd prefer if Yoshi just remained green and Toad remained red spotted. Even as a big Yoshi player I really don't like playing the dino in any other colour.

Whilst I'll just about put up with Blue Toad(mostly due to not having any other choice in New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U/Luigi U and 3D World) I'd prefer to have Captain Toad, Toadsworth and Toadette as the only alt Toads.

Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa, etc can have as many colours as they want...mostly because there's no iconic 'The' version for any of them.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
If Captain Toad is DLC for Smash, would love to see a stage to go with him too for the pack. xD

Maybe a shifting stage that rotates around along with other elements from Captain Toad. Perhaps the dragon can make a cameo appearance. xD Either way, I really hope DLC gives Toad a chance.

Also I prefer having the red-spotted Toad too in Mario Kart alone, but other recolours might be nice. I'd prefer to see Cat Toad in there anyways if Peach and Mario get the special treatment. Heck, Captain Toad for MK8 would be an even cooler reference too!

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly not a big fan of regular Toad for Sm4sh, but I've found that I actually love the idea of Capatain Toad.I fully support him and really hope he makes it in!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I just got the Mario Kart 8 DLC... now I got the Mercedes-Benz cars and Yoshi/Shy Guy recolors... can't wait to see what the new race courses might be... I'm expecting Super Bell Cup and Yoshi Egg Cup to be more retro courses while the Triforce Cup and Animal Crossing Cup to contain new courses from Zelda, F-Zero, Excitebike, and Animal Crossing.

I still wish they offered Toad recolors though... hopefully when they decide to make new battle courses for DLC.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
There is the possibility of Toad recolours coming out in a future DLC pack. I can see Nintendo continuing DLC for a while especially for Mario Kart.

Maybe a Toad pack featuring a stand-alone playable Captain Toad and Toad recolours (as representation for the Toad Brigade?). Oh well, who knows what Nintendo will do - they've baffled me already by putting Link and the AC characters in Mario Kart. o.o

Epic Neal Time

Smash Cadet
If Toad doesn't get in, he'll be one of my most requested characters for SSB5. I'll admit it, I wanted Bowser Jr. over him. But it's all Toad from here on out!!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Why Nintendo chose Shy Guy recolors over Toad recolors is a mystery to me. Perhaps they're saving Toad for the Flying Squirrel or Propeller Suit?

Or perhaps Toad is just left out again?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Toad getting Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is definitely HUGE. Perhaps they're saving another DLC version of Toad for after the release of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? What better way to promote the new game than having the Captain himself in MK8? :p Driving an awesome mine cart styled kart!

Though then again - perhaps it could be any other variation of Toad too. Really isn't fair for Luigi too if Peach and Mario get alts as well. I sure hope to see a combo with Toad and Luigi alts as well in the future. I hope Sm4sh does the same in regards to DLC as MK8 is doing right now in the near future.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am so hyped for being able to play as Link in mario kart...
Hopefully the good captain is right around the corner!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Link in a kart is already a dream come true. XD Now Link driving a Mercedes Benz? Damn Nintendo - almost overkill. xD

Dang...now this makes me want Captain in MK8 even more now. :0 Sm4sh too!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
CAPTAIN ANNOUNCEMENT: New supporters have been added to the OP! We've hit 80 supporters!

Why Nintendo chose Shy Guy recolors over Toad recolors is a mystery to me. Perhaps they're saving Toad for the Flying Squirrel or Propeller Suit?

Or perhaps Toad is just left out again?
C'moooon Boomerang suit.

Although I agree it's bogus that Mario and Peach get FOUR VERSIONS and poor old Luigi only gets regular and Baby...and Toad only gets Toad.

Unless you count Toadette(you shouldn't)

I do hope Nintendo tries to push Captain Toad into the spotlight with advertisement too and not leave the success of the game up to chance. C'mon, it's a relatively new game series, Captain could do with a little advertisement for at least Mario Kart or Mario Party, if not Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish Nintendo would promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker by making Toad recolors and Captain Toad who's a separate character and is as heavy as Metal Mario (due to the diamonds in his backpack) plus new drivers like Zelda, Tingle, Ganon (SNES style), Tom Nook, and Olimar plus true arena-style battle courses like Double Deck and Block Fort (Mario Kart 64) and Pipe Plaza and Luigi's Mansion (Double Dash) in DLC Packs 3+4 for Mario Kart 8. I guess it's too much to ask. :p The extra characters and battle courses are just incentives to sweeten the deal since I doubt people would get DLC with nothing but Toad recolors. :awesome:

I wish Nintendo would promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker by making Toad recolors and Captain Toad who's a separate character and is as heavy as Metal Mario (due to the diamonds in his backpack) plus new drivers like Zelda, Tingle, Ganon (SNES style), Tom Nook, and Olimar plus true arena-style battle courses like Double Deck and Block Fort (Mario Kart 64) and Pipe Plaza and Luigi's Mansion (Double Dash) in DLC Packs 3+4 for Mario Kart 8. I guess it's too much to ask. :p The extra characters and battle courses are just incentives to sweeten the deal since I doubt people would get DLC with nothing but Toad recolors. :awesome:
Captain Toad is being counted on heavily. You have no idea.... It's surprising to me too. It's gonna be one of the titles in 2014 that will need to and be forced to sell consoles regardless of its scope and budget.

I never knew Toad's first game since Wario Woods actually has a hefty role in reviving a console :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wish Nintendo would promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker by making Toad recolors and Captain Toad who's a separate character and is as heavy as Metal Mario (due to the diamonds in his backpack)
surely he wouldnt wear his back back in a kart

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad is being counted on heavily. You have no idea.... It's surprising to me too. It's gonna be one of the titles in 2014 that will need to and be forced to sell consoles regardless of its scope and budget.

I never knew Toad's first game since Wario Woods actually has a hefty role in reviving a console :p
That is such a true point.

The success of Captain Toad will not only be huge for the captain himself, but for Nintendo as a whole. It isn't a situation in which a game like Super Princess Peach pops around and is forgotten not long after amongst the vast DS library. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is one of the games Nintendo will have to push forward hard in order to help the Wii U sales. The fact that Nintendo EAD is working on this game too is incredible considering that they're responsible for the mainstream 3D Super Mario games.

I'm gonna bet that's why Europe pushed back the date (as lame as it was :| ) in order to ensure better sales. I sure hope Captain Toad: TT doesn't become a niche title, but then again - this is a whole new opportunity for Toad. If it's a hit - this can totally change the way Toad is treated by Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 DLC featuring Captain Toad would actually be a very clever move imo in promoting the game. "Captain Toad from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is ready to explore the race track!" - such headlines could make fans interested in the game he's starring in.

Captain Toad DLC for Smash would be incredibly handy too if they wanted to help sell and promote Toad's game. The fact that our good ol' Toad is now put into the responsibility of saving the Wii U - Nintendo's gonna want to push him sooner or later. I'm expecting a really good trailer of Treasure Tracker to pop up soon to get more people interested too.

Yes, it's a scary thing - to think that Toad has such a big duty to deliver (especially the fact that Nintendo EAD is making his game). However, I think he'll pull through. I'll be sure to pick up a Wii U and a copy of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker this Christmas myself. The least I can do for the Mushroom Retainer (besides - I LOVE the concept of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. The ideal kind of Toad game I've wanted for years!).

If Toad can pull in a success, I sure hope Captain Toad will continue to appear in many more titles. He already seems so lovable - and to be honest...he's pretty much what I had hoped for Toad. A way for a major Toad to become differentiated from the other Toads. The fact that he's so similar to our original Toad makes me a huge fan of the captain already. Go on Captain Toad, make us all proud! :D

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm really banking on Captain Toad because if he's gonna be successful, it means Nintendo will be able to walk more outside their usual comfort zone from the last years (NSMB-games and watered down installments of popular Mario-spinoffs, like Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Tennis Open, etc). It might even mean they could try their hands at some other game series left behind if Toad proves to sell well enough to not be niche title - we might like see other IPs or characters of Nintendo finally garnering attention due new-found interest to see them out.

Most of all, I don't want another Super Princess Peach to happen, I can't still forget that game's crisp-precise controls and pace. So satisfying and addicting...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'll be doing my part in supporting Toad and Nintendo by buying Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker at launch. I'll also fill out the Club Nintendo survey when I register the game... and I'll request for DLC with more levels, hopefully themed after Super Mario Bros. 2. I really want this game to succeed to influence Nintendo's decision to make DLC and feel justified doing so.

That is such a true point.

The success of Captain Toad will not only be huge for the captain himself, but for Nintendo as a whole. It isn't a situation in which a game like Super Princess Peach pops around and is forgotten not long after amongst the vast DS library. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is one of the games Nintendo will have to push forward hard in order to help the Wii U sales. The fact that Nintendo EAD is working on this game too is incredible considering that they're responsible for the mainstream 3D Super Mario games.

I'm gonna bet that's why Europe pushed back the date (as lame as it was :| ) in order to ensure better sales. I sure hope Captain Toad: TT doesn't become a niche title, but then again - this is a whole new opportunity for Toad. If it's a hit - this can totally change the way Toad is treated by Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 DLC featuring Captain Toad would actually be a very clever move imo in promoting the game. "Captain Toad from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is ready to explore the race track!" - such headlines could make fans interested in the game he's starring in.

Captain Toad DLC for Smash would be incredibly handy too if they wanted to help sell and promote Toad's game. The fact that our good ol' Toad is now put into the responsibility of saving the Wii U - Nintendo's gonna want to push him sooner or later. I'm expecting a really good trailer of Treasure Tracker to pop up soon to get more people interested too.

Yes, it's a scary thing - to think that Toad has such a big duty to deliver (especially the fact that Nintendo EAD is making his game). However, I think he'll pull through. I'll be sure to pick up a Wii U and a copy of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker this Christmas myself. The least I can do for the Mushroom Retainer (besides - I LOVE the concept of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. The ideal kind of Toad game I've wanted for years!).

If Toad can pull in a success, I sure hope Captain Toad will continue to appear in many more titles. He already seems so lovable - and to be honest...he's pretty much what I had hoped for Toad. A way for a major Toad to become differentiated from the other Toads. The fact that he's so similar to our original Toad makes me a huge fan of the captain already. Go on Captain Toad, make us all proud! :D
I REALLY hope they give this game the Nintendo polish. I have so much faith in Nintendo EAD Tokyo (And Platinum as compared to Omega Force). More importantly, the marketing of this game

better

not

be

And it's really daunting how Captain Toad needs to sell and cannot afford to blunder at the least. *sigh* Show our support then? Ey?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What is Nintendo currently doing to promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker?

What is Nintendo currently doing to promote Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker?
The game's still being released around December or November. Don't expect any promotions and ads yet

BUT it was playable in Gamescom and PAX. That's something

Then again, whether they like it or not, they'll be forced to promote it one way or another because of the Wii U's situation.

Fingers crossed, they'll promote it very well. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd add to that the Amiibo compatibility shows some promise that they're going all out with it.

I honestly don't believe Nintendo would just of tacked it on if they didn't have some faith in EAD.

I'm a bit unsure how they're planning to promote it, but everyone I know who has a Wii U has expressed some interest in the game...providing the price is right and the gameplay is good enough.

I suppose you could argue anyone who's played 3D World and enjoyed Captain Toad's Adventures may consider purchasing this too. Would you consider that sort of advertising?

I hear America's current pricing isn't much different a 3DS game, which could be pivotal to the success of the game. Fingers crossed for Captain.

Off topic on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's hopeful success:

I like how this thread has evolved past mere support for Toad in Smash and is more like a little fanclub for all things Toad.

Feels like a quality thread with quality supporters, you know?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i must say im sad that they chose to bring back dr mario instead of giving toad his chance

well lets try and make sure the captain is a great contender for next time round

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i must say im sad that they chose to bring back dr mario instead of giving toad his chance

well lets try and make sure the captain is a great contender for next time round
Well, we are trying to get Nintendo to make Toad stand out in Sakurai's eyes when SSB5 is announced in 4-6 years from now.

So far, Toad(s) is/are playable in NSBBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW... but unfortunately, he was more or less the same as Mario and Luigi in those games. He would have been the Chrom of the Mario series. Bowser Jr. stood out from the crowd since he couldn't be unique by himself so he got in the Koopa Clown Car in the NSMB games, Sticker Star, and Dream Team... and Nintendo was pushing the Koopalings to the spotlight since 2009. Rosalina couldn't be unique by herself so she inherited the gameplay mechanics that Mario had in Galaxy games... and Nintendo was pushing Rosalina since 2008, starting with Mario Kart Wii and ultimately Super Mario 3D World. The only reason Toad(s)is/are got in those games was because Nintendo needed someone to fill in P3 and P4 spots.

This is why I'm really concerned with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's the first time since 1994's Wario's Woods that Nintendo put Toad in the starring role... not sharing the spotlight with Mario, Luigi, Peach, nor Rosalina. It's also the first time since 1994 that Nintendo is trying to differentiate Toad further apart from Mario and Luigi. I really hope his game will succeed so Nintendo would want to make DLC for his game.

Another thing I'm also concerned is that Sakurai might decide to not add any more Mario newcomers in SSB5 since we now have seven characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, and Bowser Jr. People are also complaining about how there's an oversaturation of Mario characters on the roster since Melee... we didn't get a newcomer in Brawl because Bowser Jr. was just a mini Bowser clone back then and Rosalina didn't exist at the time and Dr. Mario was cut. I don't mind cutting Dr. Mario in SSB5 (even though I prefer him to regular Mario) if Captain Toad gets in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, we are trying to get Nintendo to make Toad stand out in Sakurai's eyes when SSB5 is announced in 4-6 years from now.

So far, Toad(s) is/are playable in NSBBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW... but unfortunately, he was more or less the same as Mario and Luigi in those games. He would have been the Chrom of the Mario series. Bowser Jr. stood out from the crowd since he couldn't be unique by himself so he got in the Koopa Clown Car in the NSMB games, Sticker Star, and Dream Team... and Nintendo was pushing the Koopalings to the spotlight since 2009. Rosalina couldn't be unique by herself so she inherited the gameplay mechanics that Mario had in Galaxy games... and Nintendo was pushing Rosalina since 2008, starting with Mario Kart Wii and ultimately Super Mario 3D World. The only reason Toad(s)is/are got in those games was because Nintendo needed someone to fill in P3 and P4 spots.

This is why I'm really concerned with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's the first time since 1994's Wario's Woods that Nintendo put Toad in the starring role... not sharing the spotlight with Mario, Luigi, Peach, nor Rosalina. It's also the first time since 1994 that Nintendo is trying to differentiate Toad further apart from Mario and Luigi. I really hope his game will succeed so Nintendo would want to make DLC for his game.

Another thing I'm also concerned is that Sakurai might decide to not add any more Mario newcomers in SSB5 since we now have seven characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, and Bowser Jr. People are also complaining about how there's an oversaturation of Mario characters on the roster since Melee... we didn't get a newcomer in Brawl because Bowser Jr. was just a mini Bowser clone back then and Rosalina didn't exist at the time and Dr. Mario was cut. I don't mind cutting Dr. Mario in SSB5 (even though I prefer him to regular Mario) if Captain Toad gets in.
Well all we can do is hope and insist to all our friends who own wii u to buy treasure tracker

And I'm with you on the treasure tracker dlc I hope I continues this trend nintendo is starting where we get dlc based on other games imagine a level based on kirby

Top Bottom