• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
The original Brigade was not about Captain Toad.

I saw the moveset that you guys have for CT, and I really hope they don't use anything like it. Worrying about how many jewels he has in his backpack and using that to calculate everything just isn't Toad's style. He should be a fast paced character with lots of combos and frame traps. His style should be about bum rushing the opponent blindly with idiotic bravery and using both high power and speed to his advantage when doing so. His low jump will give him a great SHFF.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I just think we need a Toad; which one doesn't matter but Captain Toad has the most potential. to me at least.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I just think we need a Toad; which one doesn't matter but Captain Toad has the most potential. to me at least.
I think Captain Toad is the best option, and as I keep saying, with a normal Toad option (or he's simply called Toad, but his default costume is the Captain's). The reason being Captain Toad is the only unique Toad we know of (as we've found out there are multiple Toadettes are possibly Toadsworths, but only one Captain) so it would make sense to shut up those who say, "There aren't any unique Toads."

In terms of moveset, Captain Toad could obviously pull moves from Treasure Tracker, giving him more options than perhaps regular Toad could since Captain is becoming a completely new thing while Toad is still bound to the Mario franchise limits, unless you're like me and consider both to be the same guy.

Yeah.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't think it makes sense to say "Captain Toad has more potential", or "Classic Toad has more potential".
It doesn't matter which gets in, both would draw from all toad games, Captain Toad and non-captain Toad alike. The only differenc would be which costume is the default, and whether or not the announcer says Captain.

I saw the moveset that you guys have for CT, and I really hope they don't use anything like it. Worrying about how many jewels he has in his backpack and using that to calculate everything just isn't Toad's style. He should be a fast paced character with lots of combos and frame traps. His style should be about bum rushing the opponent blindly with idiotic bravery and using both high power and speed to his advantage when doing so. His low jump will give him a great SHFF.
That doesn't even sound remotely close to how Captain Toad is in his own game. Lol.

If anything, that playstyle's already been taken by Little Mac except without the idiotic bravery. Not sure what idiotic bravery would add but Little Mac is a risky character as of now with a ton of potential (especially on ground) and is crap on air. That was literally what most Toad fans were suggesting for Toad (crap in air, fast, powerful, quick, small).

Anyway, the OP movevset is too complicated for Sakurai anyway. I doubt he'll do anything that inventive but I think a slow-paced Captain Toad seems to be the way to go if we were to remain faithful to his character

-----

Edit:

Off-topic: Most people are suggesting Last of Us > Mario Galaxy or OoT. I think I lost faith in humanity. That game wasn't even as good as Uncharted 2 (Best PS game of all time for me)

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
That doesn't even sound remotely close to how Captain Toad is in his own game. Lol.

If anything, that playstyle's already been taken by Little Mac except without the idiotic bravery. Not sure what idiotic bravery would add but Little Mac is a risky character as of now with a ton of potential (especially on ground) and is crap on air. That was literally what most Toad fans were suggesting for Toad (crap in air, fast, powerful, quick, small).

Anyway, the OP movevset is too complicated for Sakurai anyway. I doubt he'll do anything that inventive but I think a slow-paced Captain Toad seems to be the way to go if we were to remain faithful to his character

-----

Edit:

Off-topic: Most people are suggesting Last of Us > Mario Galaxy or OoT. I think I lost faith in humanity. That game wasn't even as good as Uncharted 2 (Best PS game of all time for me)
No.

The Last of Us was a good movie.

It was only an okay game.

Galaxy and Ocarina do not fall under TLoU.

That is just wrong.

In my opinion.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

-----

Edit:

Honestly I agree with this notion; although I'd be fine with either if Captain Toad is chosen I feel it should reflect in the moveset; aka not a speedy bruiser with a weak recovery.

Captain IMO gives(or rather will give) a far more unique moveset than anything Toad has had in the past if only because aside from Wario's Woods there is very little he's done that a pair of plumbers haven't also done.

Now, that's not to say he couldn't use some of the many items that Mario and Luigi(and even Peach) aren't using, but I feel even what we've seen from him thus far with Minecarts, pickaxes, diamonds and even that Dragon Boss give him a bit of variety to work with.

Hoping we learn of other abilities the good Captain has soon. I'm pretty hungry for some Captain Toad news at this point. Really love how the Captain Toad levels seem so diverse;

• A Pokemon Snap styled FPS level in a minecart stage
  • Solid Snake it up on the stealthy Train stage
  • A puzzle boss stage
  • Any moment Toad gets the pickaxe it suddenly turns the tides as you plow through enemies that previously were a real danger to you. Looks really satisfying.
Off Topic stuff not related to Toad that's currently being discussed;

On the subject of The Last of Us Vs. Mario Galaxy and OoT, I'm actually relieved to see something getting rated above Ocarina of Time. That game was put a little too high on the pedestal for me.
Don't get me wrong; OoT was good, but the backlash Wind Waker and Majora's Mask both got for not being OoT annoyed me no end, especially since both were good games in their own right.

However comparing the three games(The Last of Us, Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time) is a bit odd considering that they're not of the same genre.

For example I think Team Fortress 2 is one of the best FPS games out there, but how do I measure that against a platformer I really enjoyed like Super Mario 3D World?

Honestly I agree with this notion; although I'd be fine with either if Captain Toad is chosen I feel it should reflect in the moveset; aka not a speedy bruiser with a weak recovery.

Captain IMO gives(or rather will give) a far more unique moveset than anything Toad has had in the past if only because aside from Wario's Woods there is very little he's done that a pair of plumbers haven't also done.

Now, that's not to say he couldn't use some of the many items that Mario and Luigi(and even Peach) aren't using, but I feel even what we've seen from him thus far with Minecarts, pickaxes, diamonds and even that Dragon Boss give him a bit of variety to work with.

Hoping we learn of other abilities the good Captain has soon. I'm pretty hungry for some Captain Toad news at this point. Really love how the Captain Toad levels seem so diverse;

• A Pokemon Snap styled FPS level in a minecart stage
  • Solid Snake it up on the stealthy Train stage
  • A puzzle boss stage
  • Any moment Toad gets the pickaxe it suddenly turns the tides as you plow through enemies that previously were a real danger to you. Looks really satisfying.
Off Topic stuff not related to Toad that's currently being discussed;

On the subject of The Last of Us Vs. Mario Galaxy and OoT, I'm actually relieved to see something getting rated above Ocarina of Time. That game was put a little too high on the pedestal for me.
Don't get me wrong; OoT was good, but the backlash Wind Waker and Majora's Mask both got for not being OoT annoyed me no end, especially since both were good games in their own right.

However comparing the three games(The Last of Us, Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time) is a bit odd considering that they're not of the same genre.

For example I think Team Fortress 2 is one of the best FPS games out there, but how do I measure that against a platformer I really enjoyed like Super Mario 3D World?
At this point, they're trying to keep quiet with it. Typical pattern. Start out with teasing the game then begin revealing more then show a trailer that amps up the hype. This happened with Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros (3DS)

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401

not a speedy bruiser with a weak recovery.
That playstyle has not been taken by Little Mac. Toad should not be crap in the air, his air attacks should be very good. In fact, his up-b should also be very good. His ONLY holdback when it comes to the low jump is the low jump. Which will hinder his combo game only minimally. Again, I like this moveset with the changes I mentioned eariler: projectcrusade.wikia.com/wiki/Toad

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I don't know if this is good or bad, but I have a feeling since we know at least Smash 3DS is relaesing months before Treasure Tracker, Captain's shots aren't so great. If they pull moves from TT, then people will be like, "wtf nintendo y duz captain toad haz pickaxe lolol fail fail fail," and to give a character moves based on a game that isn't out yet seems...illogical.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

That playstyle has not been taken by Little Mac. Toad should not be crap in the air, his air attacks should be very good. In fact, his up-b should also be very good. His ONLY holdback when it comes to the low jump is the low jump. Which will hinder his combo game only minimally. Again, I like this moveset with the changes I mentioned eariler: projectcrusade.wikia.com/wiki/Toad
Ah I see. So that's the moveset you were talking about

I played this game btw so I know where your coming from

Alright, leak time. If true, will this affect Toad?

Considering that if this is true and we're getting 7 Mario characters, I think it's fine to keep adding so no, no effect. If anything, it's probably a good thing

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alright, leak time. If true, will this affect Toad?

Considering that if this is true and we're getting 7 Mario characters, I think it's fine to keep adding so no, no effect. If anything, it's probably a good thing
If the leak is legit, I'll admit I'm a little annoyed we got two Mario newcomers and a returning Mario veteran and none of the trio are Toad or Captain Toad. Le sigh.

However, it's also wiped out all competition for next Smash bar Paper Mario, and I would be pretty surprised to get three versions of Mario in future instalments.

Still, Papes would be currently his only future rival for a Mario spot since Waluigi is now a Wario universe character in Sakurai's eyes, Geno is impossible and Daisy gets even less love from Nintendo than Toad does.

Rosalina, Jr. AND Doc over a playable Toad though is a bitter pill to swallow. Here's hoping DLC for newcomers is a thing too.

If the leak is legit, I'll admit I'm a little annoyed we got two Mario newcomers and a returning Mario veteran and none of the trio are Toad or Captain Toad. Le sigh.

However, it's also wiped out all competition for next Smash bar Paper Mario, and I would be pretty surprised to get three versions of Mario in future instalments.

Still, Papes would be currently his only future rival for a Mario spot since Waluigi is now a Wario universe character in Sakurai's eyes, Geno is impossible and Daisy gets even less love from Nintendo than Toad does.

Rosalina, Jr. AND Doc over a playable Toad though is a bitter pill to swallow. Here's hoping DLC for newcomers is a thing too.
If anything, if Jr. is considered playable then we got 7 characters now (w/ Dr. Mario) which means adding Captain Toad via DLC isn't really much of a stretch. I mean, this means that Sakurai does not give a flying **** about how many characters he adds per series *cough* Kid Icarus *cough*

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If anything, if Jr. is considered playable then we got 7 characters now (w/ Dr. Mario) which means adding Captain Toad via DLC isn't really much of a stretch. I mean, this means that Sakurai does not give a flying **** about how many characters he adds per series *cough* Kid Icarus *cough*
Actually that's a very good point. I sometimes forget this series rep number thing is a fanmade concept seeing how often it's brought up in speculation.

Actually that's a very good point. I sometimes forget this series rep number thing is a fanmade concept seeing how often it's brought up in speculation.
Rep is a forbidden term. Trust me on that one. Never use it in speculating m8

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Geno is not impossible

Well. **** kinda got real?
Not sure if this has been brought up, but given the "Lv" icons here it's safe to assume these are supposed to be CPUs, right?

But if that's the case...

Why are their borders colored and not greyed out? Not to mention they're missing the CPU tags.

Craxian

Smash Rookie
I support this wholeheartedly. I loved Toad's inclusion in SM3DW (even if it was only a minigame) and I'm excited about him getting his own game. I really hope we get a Toad in smash, preferably him.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
When Square sell Nintendo the rights, sure.

When Nintendo WANT the rights, sure.

Neither of the above are things that are happening at this point in time.
After Nintendo and square finish making smrpg Nintendo asked them to use geno in mlsss and super Mario-kun comics so why not asking again he is a Mario charcter square can give Nintendo geno to use him sometimes and they will only use him in Nintendo games

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Sakurai said in Famitsu: "I don't want to lose the ability to use my arm because I keep opening letters expecting a fan’s praise about Kid Icarus: Uprising and instead getting some stupid note saying include Geno please..."...Every time I am asked to include Geno into Smash Brothers, I will delay the game’s release by one day. Stop asking me to add him."

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well, that's kind of rude if it's really what has been said. Of course people will campaign for their favorite characters, they want their voices to be heard.

But anyway, I don't even care if I have to pay 20 euros just to have a playable Toad in the game at this point, I really wouldn't mind and I'm sure it would be a good investment because I'd second him for the entire lifespan of the game and would also buy his figurine since I love this mushroom so much.

Peach and Toad are my favorites Nintendo characters, it's not even fun to use Peach when I know that her B attack prevents Toad from making it in. I could understand for Brawl, but not this time around. Just put TOADSWORTH there and give us the TOAD. Geez, I really don't see how difficult it would be to change a model slightly to include another popular Mario character which makes much more sense as a shield. Especially if we go by the Mario & Luigi series. That was my little rant, feel free to ignore the frustrations of a Toad fan, lol.

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Toad ranks among my favorite Mario series characters of all time. He's funny, adventurous, and (occasionally) brave. Sadly, his chances are very low for this game, it seems. Captain Toad would be a great alternative, but I doubt him also (unless DLC is real). Nintendo just recently discovered Toad is popular, and the Captain may have only stood out as another Toad to Sakurai. However, if DLC is real, Captain Toad should be a prime contender, but if not in DLC or there is none, Captain/Toad's chances are looking up for SSB5 (or 6 if you're Sakurai).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai said in Famitsu: "I don't want to lose the ability to use my arm because I keep opening letters expecting a fan’s praise about Kid Icarus: Uprising and instead getting some stupid note saying include Geno please..."...Every time I am asked to include Geno into Smash Brothers, I will delay the game’s release by one day. Stop asking me to add him."
LOL Did Sakurai legit say that?

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, and it may be slightly off-topic, but who do we all think the main antagonist of Treasure Tracker will be, if there even is one? Will it just be Bowser? Another character? Or somebody entirely new?

Personally, I'm hoping for the villain to be Wario. Being a greedy guy, it makes sense for him to be a rival treasure hunter of sorts. It would also be quite neat for Nintendo to re-ignite the old rivalry from Wario's Woods.

LOL Did Sakurai legit say that?
No. I believe that it is from a satirical website, not unlike The Onion.

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, and it may be slightly off-topic, but who do we all think the main antagonist of Treasure Tracker will be, if there even is one? Will it just be Bowser? Another character? Or somebody entirely new?

Personally, I'm hoping for the villain to be Wario. Being a greedy guy, it makes sense for him to be a rival treasure hunter of sorts. It would also be quite neat for Nintendo to re-ignite the old rivalry from Wario's Woods.

No. I believe that it is from a satirical website, not unlike The Onion.
Somehow, I don't think it's Bowser. Look at Mario's sister series: Luigi's Mansion has King Boo, Yoshi has Baby Bowser (I guess they're different after all...), and Donkey Kong has a variety, but primarily King K. Rool.

It just wouldn't make sense. Why waste the opportunity to give us an old rivalry (e.g. Toad and Wario or even Wart, if they're daring) or give us a new villain altogether? Sure, you could slap Bowser on it, but at least this time he can't be kidnapping anyone (maybe the Diamond Fairy, if they wanna go the lazy way.)

They've given us new antagonists before, so why not do that again? The great thing about Treasure Tracker is that it's so unlike other Mario sister series that it has so much more potential to be unique. Nintendo wouldn't just leave us hanging with new objective or even a flimsy story; I'm sure they can come up with something (witty humor and a deep plot would be nice, though c: )

Also, the leak is getting disproved as I speak. If we're thinking of the same one, they found the source of Duck Hunt Dog's image and Bowser Jr.'s striking similarities to another image so...

Thank goodness. I mean, Bowser Jr. AND Rosalina WITHOUT Captain/Toad? Come on, Nintendo!

(I just predicted Smash 5.)

Last edited:
Also, the leak is getting disproved as I speak. If we're thinking of the same one, they found the source of Duck Hunt Dog's image and Bowser Jr.'s striking similarities to another image so...

Thank goodness. I mean, Bowser Jr. AND Rosalina WITHOUT Captain/Toad? Come on, Nintendo!

(I just predicted Smash 5.)
Really? It's looking like it's being approved more and more as we speak... But to be honest and fair, the #teamreal guys ignored or missed some of the points of #teamfake. Not that I'm rooting for anyone.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Really? It's looking like it's being approved more and more as we speak... But to be honest and fair, the #teamreal guys ignored or missed some of the points of #teamfake. Not that I'm rooting for anyone.
I think what signals as fake the most to me is the character placement. Notice how Yoshi, a Yoshi series character, is between Bowser and Rosalina, two Mario characters. Why is Dark Pit so far away from other Kid Icarus characters along with Dr. Mario (ewww...) and a few others? Even in previous games, as you unlocked more characters the roster spaces would shift so each character would be organized with their respective series.
Also, Mr. Game & Watch's hand seems off, but that's very well-known already.
For Bowser Jr., it looks kinda like someone took this:

Edited it slightly, then put him in the Mario 3D World Pipe artwork.

Just my two cents~

I think what signals as fake the most to me is the character placement. Notice how Yoshi, a Yoshi series character, is between Bowser and Rosalina, two Mario characters. Why is Dark Pit so far away from other Kid Icarus characters along with Dr. Mario (ewww...) and a few others? Even in previous games, as you unlocked more characters the roster spaces would shift so each character would be organized with their respective series.
Also, Mr. Game & Watch's hand seems off, but that's very well-known already.
For Bowser Jr., it looks kinda like someone took this:

Edited it slightly, then put him in the Mario 3D World Pipe artwork.

Just my two cents~
Chances are not all the characters were unlocked which may be the reason for the displacement

Also, the clown car has a green round thing on it also

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Chances are not all the characters were unlocked which may be the reason for the displacement

Also, the clown car has a green round thing on it also
Still, Dr. Mario all the way in the bottom corner while Mario characters were in the top? They were added along the way. Say you unlocked Luigi in Brawl. He'd still show up with the other Mario characters, whether you've unlocked everyone or not. So, by that logic, Dr. should still be with the other Mario characters (well, he should be an alt costume for Mario, but whatevz) as Dark Pit should still be with other Kid Icarus characters.
The Pipe could've been edited, too. It's amazing what people can do with technology these days.

"Back in my day..."

Still, Dr. Mario all the way in the bottom corner while Mario characters were in the top? They were added along the way. Say you unlocked Luigi in Brawl. He'd still show up with the other Mario characters, whether you've unlocked everyone or not. So, by that logic, Dr. should still be with the other Mario characters (well, he should be an alt costume for Mario, but whatevz) as Dark Pit should still be with other Kid Icarus characters.
The Pipe could've been edited, too. It's amazing what people can do with technology these days.

"Back in my day..."
Just saying but I also have a very sketchy feeling about this "leak".

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Just saying but I also have a very sketchy feeling about this "leak".
Me too. I don't really care about them much...I just wait for the official announcements. You know, credible sources.

Like 4chan Nintendo.

Me too. I don't really care about them much...I just wait for the official announcements. You know, credible sources.

Like 4chan Nintendo.
Well, that's gonna have to wait. For now, bask into the chaos

Geno Boost

Smash Master
That's fake article it was made by jack if you read the name also sakurai doesn't hate fans

Last edited:
If he hated his fans, might as well not even make Smash 4.

To be fair, Geno is more possible than "Toad". By 0.1%. "Toad"'s chances are at 0% by the way

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If they buy the rights to SMRPG so they don't have to keep hooking up with Square, I'd hope we'd also get Boshi as an alt outfit...

...and Toad to get his Bazooka for Smash 5.

Top Bottom