• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i'm actually jonesing for this. i hope nintendo can solidify a mini-franchise through captain toad, and it would be the perfect solution to "toad in brawl" since he's an actual stand-alone character with his own personality.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So nice to see so many people looking forward to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Like genuinely felt I was the only person on the planet for a few years there that actually liked Toad judging by the online bile I kept stumbling upon.

Unfortunately I also come baring some bad news for us European fans:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/30/ninte...as-financial-results-still-show-loss-4815046/

****ing dammit, looks like I won't be joining in the puzzle fun until next year.

Can someone please fire the people at NoE? Preferably into the sun.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So nice to see so many people looking forward to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Like genuinely felt I was the only person on the planet for a few years there that actually liked Toad judging by the online bile I kept stumbling upon.

Unfortunately I also come baring some bad news for us European fans:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/30/ninte...as-financial-results-still-show-loss-4815046/

****ing dammit, looks like I won't be joining in the puzzle fun until next year.

Can someone please fire the people at NoE? Preferably into the sun.

One day I bet Nintendo will drop any support on NOE after few years. So little faith.

Remember when Europeans couldn't get Kirby's Dream Collection? I do. I still have it imported.

Ah well, I'll be too busy playing ORAS and SSB4 to care. I can manage.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was against Cpt Toad in the Galaxy days, but now the situation is different; like Yoshi, now Cpt Toad has a spin-off franchise and an unique gameplay to represent, he's no longer a generic toad with a torch. I'm not really a supporter (there are many other character that I would like to see before him), but I wouldn't mind having him in the final roster. To be honest, I can see Cpt Toad deserving the spot a lot more than Rosalina. (rosalina is a minor character who had a role only in 1 game, then she appeared only for fanservice; plus her design is based on Peach's, with few differences in dress, hairs and color scheme - She represents Mario Galaxy, but so Cpt Toad does as well).

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Oh come on, why would they delay Captain Toad's game...? It just sucks.

No wonder they don't make profits given the really small number of good games on the Wii U.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I was going wanted newcomer shopping since I only had 2 [Bandana Dee and Ridley] and I think I found it! Sign me up!

Oh **** I've been here before.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I changed my mind, add me to the supporters!
I'm starting to think about all the ideas for the moveset, and that thing with the rucksack in the OP is perfect.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Woah, Propeller Toad, Long time no see! Good to have you back!
Hey Zzuxon, glad to still see you here too, and indeed it has been a while! I might not be as active; however, Captain Toad is gonna need all the support he can - honestly, Toad is long overdue for Smash Bros..

Thanks for adding me as well YoshiandToad. That's extremely unfortunate as well about the news of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker being delayed in Europe. Honestly...a release in the holiday season would have been the smartest decision along with the rest of the releases worldwide.

I sure hope this game does really well. The demo version been getting so many great reviews and has been praised. A game featuring Captain Toad and his whimsical adventures has been called for in such demand since SM3DW's release.

Heck, I'm willing to get a Wii U just for this title now honestly. I'm sold (now I just need a Captain Toad Amiibo figurine to go along with the game ^_^).

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Hey guys, I know you weren't really expecting Toad (normal) anyways, but for the last bit of us, here's something depressing:
bleh.png

This is as of today, July 31, 204, so it seems they won't be making any major changes. Captain Toad is really our only chance now.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Hey guys, I know you weren't really expecting Toad (normal) anyways, but for the last bit of us, here's something depressing:View attachment 20118
This is as of today, July 31, 204, so it seems they won't be making any major changes. Captain Toad is really our only chance now.
Could I ask what footage that's from? Like is it from a character reveal trailer, etc.? :o

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Could I ask what footage that's from? Like is it from a character reveal trailer, etc.? :o
GameXplain posted a slideshow of screenshots Nintendo sent them...unfortunately, they're official...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Time to start supporting Captain Toad for Smash 5. We have to be more vocal and let Nintendo know how popular Toad really is. We need to keep requesting Nintendo to keep including Toad(s) as playable characters in future main Mario games and keep making more Captain Toad games (just so he would have his own spin-off series).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
(All supporters have been added to the OP)

Hey guys, I know you weren't really expecting Toad (normal) anyways, but for the last bit of us, here's something depressing:View attachment 20118
Welp, this doesn't really surprise anyone, but yes it's a little sad. I think after the April Direct and the Peach footage many knew classic Toad was done for.

Captain Toad's pretty much the last chance saloon, and that's seemingly only if we get DLC. Not looking too bad for Smash 5 though thanks to his new game.

Time to start supporting Captain Toad for Smash 5. We have to be more vocal and let Nintendo know how popular Toad really is. We need to keep requesting Nintendo to keep including Toad(s) as playable characters in future main Mario games and keep making more Captain Toad games (just so he would have his own spin-off series).
How would you recommend going about this, Arcadenik?

Obviously I'm planning to buy Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker + his Amiibo, and attempting to spread the Captain Toad word, but what other things should we do?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
(All supporters have been added to the OP)

Welp, this doesn't really surprise anyone, but yes it's a little sad. I think after the April Direct and the Peach footage many knew classic Toad was done for.

Captain Toad's pretty much the last chance saloon, and that's seemingly only if we get DLC. Not looking too bad for Smash 5 though thanks to his new game.

How would you recommend going about this, Arcadenik?

Obviously I'm planning to buy Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker + his Amiibo, and attempting to spread the Captain Toad word, but what other things should we do?
Don't know, even though you asked Arcadenik, I'm gonna chime in. Muahahaha >:D

Well, Nintendo did say that Toad was surprisingly popular when the found the positive response he got after 3D World was announced, but by then, it was a bit too late since they already decided the roster.

I guess it really boils down to Treasure Tracker, as in how it will score and sell. I hope it turns out great in both terms, but can't say for sure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How? Well, we can use Club Nintendo, Miiverse, Twitter, and Facebook to our advantage.

Club Nintendo is very easy to do if you already have membership. Sign up or sign in, register your Mario-related games you purchased, and fill out the surveys. They ask questions such as why you bought the game, what are you looking forward to, what did you like about the game, and why did you NOT like about the game.

Why did you buy the game? Tell them you bought the game for whatever reasons you have AND to play as Toad.

What are you looking forward to? Tell them you are looking forward to whatever gameplay-related reasons you have AND you are also looking forward to play as Toad because he's your #1 favorite Mario character (doesn't matter if it's true or not).

What did you like about the game? Tell them you liked the levels, items, whatever reasons you have AND that you absolutely love to play as Toad (if he's actually playable).

What did you NOT like about the game? Tell them whatever reasons you have AND that you're disappointed that you cannot play as Toad (if he's not playable) or you were not happy with how the game portrayed him in a negative light (useless, spineless, etc.)

Miiverse is surprisingly easy to do ever since I started posting there almost regularly. We can go on various communities for the following games:

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U + 3DS (Toad for Smash 5)
Mario Kart 8
Mario Maker

I couldn't possibly list them all but you know what I'm talking about. We go to these Mario-related communities, post our messages about how happy you are to play as Toad, how awesome it was to beat the level/race with Toad, how and why Toad is your favorite character, express how disappointed you were that Toad is not playable or that Toad was portrayed negatively (constructive criticism). Fan art also helps so the skilled artists (like YoshiandToad) can draw Toad pictures and unskilled artists (like me) can use stamps to make Toad pictures.

Twitter is easy for people who regularly use Twitter. I haven't touched my Twitter account since January 2013. The only reason I signed up on Twitter was to spam Sakurai with my "Duck Hunt Dog for Smash" with the moveset I made long before I created the support thread here (it was in Japanese too). Anyway, we can use this hashtag #CaptainToad because that's the hashtag shown in Captain Toad E3 2014 trailer. We can use this hashtag along with other hashtags to let Nintendo know that we want to play as Captain Toad in future games like Super Mario Galaxy 3, New Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario 3D Land 2. These games are just examples of main games that didn't have a playable Toad in the previous games.

The goal here is to ensure that Nintendo keeps Toad relevant and important in the main Mario games by including Toad(s) or Captain Toad as playable characters... and Sakurai, in turn, could use Toad's playable roles in those future games to build an unique moveset because those games would be giving Toad more material to work with...

Facebook is easy to use. We can just go to Nintendo's pages and just post that Toad is your favorite Mario character and that you want more Captain Toad games and that you want to play as Toad in future Mario games. We can use the hashtag #CaptainToad on Facebook to show Nintendo that Toad actually have fans.

What do you think? I feel that Club Nintendo, Miiverse, Twitter, and Facebook are our best resources right now... it isn't like Nintendo would listen to fans by visiting message boards. We need to be positive about Toad if he's playable in Mario games and give constructive criticism about the lack of a playable Toad in Mario games.

#CaptainToad

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
How? Well, we can use Club Nintendo, Miiverse, Twitter, and Facebook to our advantage.

Club Nintendo is very easy to do if you already have membership. Sign up or sign in, register your Mario-related games you purchased, and fill out the surveys. They ask questions such as why you bought the game, what are you looking forward to, what did you like about the game, and why did you NOT like about the game.

Why did you buy the game? Tell them you bought the game for whatever reasons you have AND to play as Toad.

What are you looking forward to? Tell them you are looking forward to whatever gameplay-related reasons you have AND you are also looking forward to play as Toad because he's your #1 favorite Mario character (doesn't matter if it's true or not).

What did you like about the game? Tell them you liked the levels, items, whatever reasons you have AND that you absolutely love to play as Toad (if he's actually playable).

What did you NOT like about the game? Tell them whatever reasons you have AND that you're disappointed that you cannot play as Toad (if he's not playable) or you were not happy with how the game portrayed him in a negative light (useless, spineless, etc.)

Miiverse is surprisingly easy to do ever since I started posting there almost regularly. We can go on various communities for the following games:

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U + 3DS (Toad for Smash 5)
Mario Kart 8
Mario Maker

I couldn't possibly list them all but you know what I'm talking about. We go to these Mario-related communities, post our messages about how happy you are to play as Toad, how awesome it was to beat the level/race with Toad, how and why Toad is your favorite character, express how disappointed you were that Toad is not playable or that Toad was portrayed negatively (constructive criticism). Fan art also helps so the skilled artists (like YoshiandToad) can draw Toad pictures and unskilled artists (like me) can use stamps to make Toad pictures.

Twitter is easy for people who regularly use Twitter. I haven't touched my Twitter account since January 2013. The only reason I signed up on Twitter was to spam Sakurai with my "Duck Hunt Dog for Smash" with the moveset I made long before I created the support thread here (it was in Japanese too). Anyway, we can use this hashtag #CaptainToad because that's the hashtag shown in Captain Toad E3 2014 trailer. We can use this hashtag along with other hashtags to let Nintendo know that we want to play as Captain Toad in future games like Super Mario Galaxy 3, New Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario 3D Land 2. These games are just examples of main games that didn't have a playable Toad in the previous games.

The goal here is to ensure that Nintendo keeps Toad relevant and important in the main Mario games by including Toad(s) or Captain Toad as playable characters... and Sakurai, in turn, could use Toad's playable roles in those future games to build an unique moveset because those games would be giving Toad more material to work with...

Facebook is easy to use. We can just go to Nintendo's pages and just post that Toad is your favorite Mario character and that you want more Captain Toad games and that you want to play as Toad in future Mario games. We can use the hashtag #CaptainToad on Facebook to show Nintendo that Toad actually have fans.

What do you think? I feel that Club Nintendo, Miiverse, Twitter, and Facebook are our best resources right now... it isn't like Nintendo would listen to fans by visiting message boards. We need to be positive about Toad if he's playable in Mario games and give constructive criticism about the lack of a playable Toad in Mario games.

#CaptainToad
Well, I don't use Miiverse, Facebook, and Twitter all that much, but if I can remember, I'll be sure to make tons of comments about how I and other people love Toad.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll be completely honest right now is that I would never, ever, EVER want to see a generic Toad appearing in Smash Bros. as I much more prefer the special, different Toads. I'm also not a big fan of having Toadsworth in the game, as he's like... old.

I'm extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY excited for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, it looks like such a beautiful, colorful game! We also have Captain Toad (my favorite Toad!) starring in the games, with his silly and unique personality. I honestly hope that, if we ever do get a Toad in Smash Bros. that it be Captain Toad above all. He could also have a unique moveset, using some of the power-ups and items from Treasure Tracker.

I support Captain Toad for Smash Bros. <3

"Time for Adventure!"

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Drawing on that GamePad is hard unless you're using Sketchbook Academy. I'll let YoshiandToad do that; I think I'll stand on the vocal side.

On another note, do you think that there would be a Smash trailer on Monday's Hyrule Warriors direct? I think that, if so, it's probably to announce a Zelda character for obvious reasons.

Here's to hoping Captain Toad is:
A) A hidden character
B) DLC
C) Perfect for Smash 5 (but that'll take forever...)
D) Assist Trophy, if things get desperate (but, hey, Palutena was an AT...right?)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm not sure where I saw it, but a while back I had seen some article about Captain Toad and him wanting to be in Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. along with a picture of him in his Treasure Tracker minecart. I personally think he'll be Mario Kart 8 DLC, and if he is, that opens up the possibility of him as Smash Bros. DLC a lot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm not sure where I saw it, but a while back I had seen some article about Captain Toad and him wanting to be in Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. along with a picture of him in his Treasure Tracker minecart. I personally think he'll be Mario Kart 8 DLC, and if he is, that opens up the possibility of him as Smash Bros. DLC a lot.
Was it perhaps this?

Drawing on that GamePad is hard unless you're using Sketchbook Academy. I'll let YoshiandToad do that; I think I'll stand on the vocal side.

On another note, do you think that there would be a Smash trailer on Monday's Hyrule Warriors direct? I think that, if so, it's probably to announce a Zelda character for obvious reasons.

Here's to hoping Captain Toad is:
A) A hidden character
B) DLC
C) Perfect for Smash 5 (but that'll take forever...)
D) Assist Trophy, if things get desperate (but, hey, Palutena was an AT...right?)
My money is on either B or C honestly.

Although Palutena was in actual fact not an AT, but like Toad, part of someone else's moveset.

I'm expecting Ganondorf to be revealed soon...both for Hyrule Warriors AND Smash. Not expecting it for Smash on Monday though, but you never know.

Someone who tweets should possibly set up a Twitter page for the Captain though. I don't mind the drawing, but damn it if I can tweet.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, like I said before, Peach being so reworked on would most least have anything to do wth making Toad a playable character...

But indeed, let's keep movin' folks. Gotta raise our awareness about Toad some more.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Does Treasure Tracker use the same graphics and assets as 3D World? Maybe it's because it's zoomed in, but CT:TT looks a lot better than 3D World.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Was it perhaps this?

My money is on either B or C honestly.

Although Palutena was in actual fact not an AT, but like Toad, part of someone else's moveset.

I'm expecting Ganondorf to be revealed soon...both for Hyrule Warriors AND Smash. Not expecting it for Smash on Monday though, but you never know.

Someone who tweets should possibly set up a Twitter page for the Captain though. I don't mind the drawing, but damn it if I can tweet.
Whoops, sorry. I get confused about her.

Does Treasure Tracker use the same graphics and assets as 3D World? Maybe it's because it's zoomed in, but CT:TT looks a lot better than 3D World.
I think it does, but since the levels are a lot smaller, this allows the developers to put in more details and, in short, enhance the overall look. I think it's working very well so far! By the way Reserved, that whole thing in Japanese brought this thread back to life, but an accurate translation brought it back down.

Pretty weird, huh?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Whoops, sorry. I get confused about her.

I think it does, but since the levels are a lot smaller, this allows the developers to put in more details and, in short, enhance the overall look. I think it's working very well so far! By the way Reserved, that whole thing in Japanese brought this thread back to life, but an accurate translation brought it back down.

Pretty weird, huh?
What was the "accurate translation"? Was that the thing about Captain Toad wanting to join?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
What was the "accurate translation"? Was that the thing about Captain Toad wanting to join?
Not exactly, but it could not be more heavily implied.
I may be paraphrasing this may not be, but it said:
"I wish I could join the battle..."

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
People called the Wii U underpowered...

and then Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker came out.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
But ssomeone said that there was also something saying, "However, it is only a dream..." or something to that effect.
*sigh*
If this is the second time someone manipulated information to give us false hopes, I'm going to learn Japanese so I can eventually leak information myself.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
*sigh*
If this is the second time someone manipulated information to give us false hopes, I'm going to learn Japanese so I can eventually leak information myself.
I don't know...I can't read Japanese, so I can't say for sure.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Update on the European release:

Nintendo UK representative said:
In order to optimise the best possible launch timing for Europe, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, originally announced as coming to Wii U in Winter 2014 is now confirmed to launch in the European market in January 2015.
So it's not a localization issue, it's...well I'm not sure what it is, but I guess they're worried it'll have to compete too much in a December 2014 release.

Frankly I'm worried that this is a HUGE mistake. I know I very rarely buy games in January; usually still playing stuff from Christmas, and despite my birthday being in February I rarely get games then either...I guess it won't have much competition in those months though.

Still at least we got a 'reason' for it's delay. That in itself is pretty rare.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Nintendo doesn't want sales for Captain Toad game to be hurt by the sales of SSB4?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Maybe Nintendo doesn't want sales for Captain Toad game to be hurt by the sales of SSB4?
I'm thinking it's partially because of all the moving around and reloacting that NOE's been going through, but I'm not positive.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot be the only person craving for Treasure Tracker to tell the story of the good Captain's ascent to being Captain (from Regular Toad), no? If it is a Galaxy spinoff, they could easily make this the 'Rosalina storyboard' they had before, even as cryptic.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunate news, but I really hadn't expected Sakurai to change the move up. It's a shame, Peach has got plenty of moves too since (ie Perry the Parasol from SPP); yet, Sakurai seems so intent on keeping Toad there.

Regardless, there's more than one Toad - heck, even in the Melee adventure mode there was two Toads running about in the Mushroom Kingdom level so I don't see it too farfetched to have two Toads on screen (or an Alfonzo situation with Peach pulling Toadsworth out when Toad's playable would be ideal).

Regardless, I'm sticking my hand out for Captain Toad. He seems very interesting and very much like our original Toad. He even has miner like attributes which is new for Smash

Has Peach's Turnips been confirmed as of yet? It would be neat to have Captain Toad plucking out those turnips instead of Peach. I know for certain that the Villager has a turnip move too now based off his/her aerial A down.

It would be neat if the Captain got alts based off the other members of the Toad Brigade. Now if only they were redesigned much like the Captain himself...I do hope DLC is available for this game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm convinced that Toad is not playable in SSB4... how could Captain Toad compete against a Peach clone who is suddenly unique with Lumas and (assuming the Ninka Kiwi leak is real) a Bowser clone who is suddenly unique with Koopa Clown Car? Not to mention that Nintendo didn't even know Toad actually has a fanbase and they were surprised to find out that Toad is popular.

Rosalina never did anything in Super Mario Galaxy games. How would Sakurai make her interesting? Give her the stuff that Mario himself used in Super Mario Galaxy games like Star Spins, Co-Star Lumas, Launch Stars, Power Stars, Star Bits... and viola! She's not a Peach clone. Also, Nintendo was propping Rosalina lately... she was in all Mario Kart games since her debut... and she was in Super Mario 3D World.

Bowser Jr. had the paintbrush in Super Mario Sunshine but he doesn't use it in later main Mario games anymore except for sports/party spin-off games. The paintbrush moveset isn't that interesting. How would Sakurai make Bowser Jr. more interesting? Put him in the driver's seat of the Koopa Clown Car! That, to me, makes sense! I could see Sakurai doing something crazy like this.

Bowser Jr. consistently piloted the Koopa Clown Car again and again in major titles like New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star... while his alts, the Koopalings, were seen on the Koopa Clown Car in New Super Mario Bros. 2... and Nintendo was propping the Koopalings lately since they were in all New Super Mario Bros. games (except for the DS game but that was pre-Brawl) and Mario Kart 8... and the Koopa Clown Car was a vehicle in Mario Kart 7.

How could Toad compete with them if he is similar to Mario and Luigi? He's the Chrom of the Mario series! What Nintendo needs to do in the time period between SSB4 and SSB5 is to differentiate Toad further apart from Mario and Luigi and make it consistent. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a good start but he needs more starring roles in future main Mario games and RPG games to differentiate himself from Mario and Luigi. Sakurai will put Toad in Smash if he has an image of Toad that dances in his mind and jibes with what he is looking for. He himself said that even if a character can fight, if said character doesn't have anything that makes them stick out from the pack that Sakurai could extract something unique from then, he isn't going to add them... kinda like what's happened to Chrom... unless Captain Toad is a semi-clone hybrid of Mario and Luigi via DLC or amiibo... but that would be redundant if Dr. Mario is coming back.

tl;dr Toad needs to differentiate himself from Mario and Luigi to catch Sakurai's interest before SSB5 is announced in 4-6 years after SSB4 is out. We need to ensure that Nintendo doesn't forget about Toad's popularity and that Nintendo keeps giving Captain Toad starring roles and character development.

#CaptainToad

Top Bottom