• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
So am I. And I'm disappointed; I thought Sakurai really used Reggie the Hype Engine to announce this newcomer's announcment (inception).

Nearly completely irrelevant to Toad whatsoever, have you guys listened to TheEternalSushi's Rainbow Roads mahsup? It's awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8cz-90n6iE
Listened to it?
I turned it into a brstm and put it in Project M!
That is how awesome it is.

Alright, I made a mock up of the Captain Toad stage with the Walleye in it this time

Captain Toad's Trek (Walleye Redo)

Like last time, the gimmick is that after a set time the stage camera rotates, just like in Captain Toad. When it rotates the platform formation changes depending on the angle: one large platform in the middle when viewed from the "front" and "back" and two smaller ones off to the side when viewed from the "sides." Same as last time. The big change is there is now a Walleye in the center of the stage that walks back and forth to smash players.

Walleye:
The Walleye's charging is a moderate threat to the players, but it too is affected by the stage rotation, and the degree of danger it presents depends on the angle the stage. In side 1 it is the biggest threat, that said it is far from menacing. It simply slides back and forth in a predictable fashion staying underneath the platform: it looks left, it charges left, it looks right, it charges right. It charges quickly and does decent damage and knock back, but the area and timing it does these charges makes it more likely that you'll be thrown into it by an opponents then actually caught in it's path. Now the stage rotates after 45 seconds and the function of the Walleye changes. Now in side 2 it stops walking and acts like a wall. It's tempting to have it continue pacing and go from the foreground to the background, but having it stand as a wall is less chaotic and gives it a more interesting function. Instead of being a simple hazard it breaks the stage up. It's only dangerous if you touch the top of it's head, which does light damage and just pops you up a little. The stage rotates again and in side 3 the Walleye is broad sided again, but now it's in the background (indicated in the picture by the darker colors and black "Xs".) While in the background it doesn't effect the fight at all. Just walks back and forth harmlessly. Now players have the whole stage at their disposal. The stage rotates again, and in slide 4 the Walleye is facing right, but again it's not a part of the battle and simply stands in the background. After 45 seconds the camera rotates and we are back at at the beginning with the Walleye moving back and forth in the foreground and the cycle repeats.

Basically, at two angles the walleye is in the foreground and effect the fight in some way, and two angles it's in the background and doesn't effect the fight at all. When broad side it walks back and forth, when facing left and right it stops moving and acts like a wall.

Other changes:
The stage is slightly diffrent with the Walleye in mind. The obvious one is the gap in the middle is out and replaced with the Walleye. The stage is also larger and doesn't change size based on the camera angle. This is so players have more room to fight since the middle is now taken up by the Walleye. I also got rid of the walk off since a lot of Smash fans dislike that. The middle platform in sides 1 and 3 (when the Walleye is broadside) is larger to allow players to run over the Walleye.

I like this version much better. The Walleye gives the stage a more Captain Toad feel to it and much more personality in general. The Walleye also plays into the stage's gimmick without making the changes too radically each time the camera spins. Which one do you guys prefer?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I like this version much better. The Walleye gives the stage a more Captain Toad feel to it and much more personality in general. The Walleye also plays into the stage's gimmick without making the changes too radically each time the camera spins. Which one do you guys prefer?
Personally I'm going to echo your sentiments. I prefer this version. We have a fairly consistent hazard in the middle that would work well in game without being too obnoxious. The platform alterations, whilst differing greatly won't affect gameplay in as negative a way as the Walleye would if he suddenly switched drastically from the middle to the end.

The Walleye in general looks great and does give the entire stage a very personalized Captain Toad feel.

Mind if I replace the one in the OP with this updated one?

Personally I'm going to echo your sentiments. I prefer this version. We have a fairly consistent hazard in the middle that would work well in game without being too obnoxious. The platform alterations, whilst differing greatly won't affect gameplay in as negative a way as the Walleye would if he suddenly switched drastically from the middle to the end.

The Walleye in general looks great and does give the entire stage a very personalized Captain Toad feel.

Mind if I replace the one in the OP with this updated one?
Thanks for the feed back

And I was hoping you would switch it out. Thanks man

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Don't all stages have a competitive form? Do you think the DLC Stages will get the same treatment? The rotating stage is already going to stop it from being super competitive. :/

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm starting to warm up to this idea.
I'm still a little iffy about the lack of classic Toad, but I'm starting to feel like this would be a suitable alternative.

Don't all stages have a competitive form? Do you think the DLC Stages will get the same treatment? The rotating stage is already going to stop it from being super competitive. :/
I don't see why they wouldn't. I could see the Final Destination version of this stage placing the Walley in the background. Facing the fight and still going back and forth, but out of the way. That still leaves one of the stages main features in tact while still making the stage a proper FD clone.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't see why they wouldn't. I could see the Final Destination version of this stage placing the Walley in the background. Facing the fight and still going back and forth, but out of the way. That still leaves one of the stages main features in tact while still making the stage a proper FD clone.
Like what PM did with Green Hill Zone?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
As a competitive player, not necessarily. Battlefield is considered the competitive stage if we had to have one. Some characters games rely on platforms, while the ones that don't are fine on Battlefield or have an extremely superior game on Final Destination. So while FD versions of stages are cool for when we pick FD, Battlefield may have been the better decision.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Exactly, but the Walleye would be where the sunflowers and totem pole are. Up close and watching, but not at all in the way.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe have other enemies such as Shy Guys in the BG too?

Is it a possibility that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker takes place in SubCon? If that's the case, will Wart make a reappearance? Now I hope this is the case...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm starting to warm up to this idea.
I'm still a little iffy about the lack of classic Toad, but I'm starting to feel like this would be a suitable alternative.
I'm almost certain the good captain would come with a classic alt, or vice versa. Which is why I don't care which gets in.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I'm almost certain the good captain would come with a classic alt, or vice versa. Which is why I don't care which gets in.
Well first, he has to get in...which is a pipe dream.

But, hey, there's always tomorrow! Literally!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe have other enemies such as Shy Guys in the BG too?

Is it a possibility that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker takes place in SubCon? If that's the case, will Wart make a reappearance? Now I hope this is the case...
Hmmm...

=
?

Shy Guys? Check.

Turnips being the only major crop? Check.

Magic Doors? Check.

Appearing to take place in the same universe as the Sprixies, who look suspiciously like Subconians? Check.

Now watch the main villain be Wario just to screw with that idea.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You know what would be awesome?
A Wario and Wart team-up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love Captain Toad to have more SMB2 enemies besides Shy Guys... classic Mario staples include Pokeys and Bob-ombs but I would love to see some obscure enemies. Since Captain Toad is a puzzle platformer, I'm thinking these enemies could be incorporated into puzzles and they might be useful in clearing levels or they might block Toad's path.

Albatoss - they might fly around and Toad can ride them to go from one ledge to the other ledge; sometimes they carry Bob-ombs that they drop when Toad is on their shadows

Pidgit - a bit like Albatoss except Toad needs to throw a turnip at it in order to ride the carpet

Whale - Toad needs to get stand on the blowhole so the whale would shoot water and lift Toad to the clouds

Hoopster - they climb up and down on vines and ladders; Toad needs to throw turnips at them in order to climb

Phanto - they chase after Toad when he picks up a key that he needs to unlock a door or a gate

Trouter - remember those flowers that launch you up in the air in Zelda Wind Waker? Yeah, that's their purpose; they launch Toad when they reach their peak height; they launch Toad in the direction he was facing

Snifit - they are like Shy Guys except they can shoot

Autobomb - Shy Guys pilot these machines on railroads; Toad needs to throw turnips at Shy Guys to make the Autobombs stop shooting; Toad can ride Autobombs on the railroads and shoot fireballs instead of turnips with the Game Pad

Ostro - Shy Guys also ride in these ostriches; they chase after Toad faster than Shy Guys on foot; Toad needs to be quick and throw turnips at these birds to make them shake Shy Guys off; they stop chasing after Toad when Shy Guys are knocked down; Toad can ride on these birds so they can carry him across the fast-falling Donut Lifts (remember how Peach had to cry to run faster?)

Cobrat - they are like fire-breathing Piranha Plants except they reside in vases and they shoot balls at Toad; sometimes they hide in the sand and ambush Toad when he comes closer

Spark - these electric orbs circle around objects and platforms; Toad needs to avoid them but he may defeat them with the pickaxe

Hawkmouth - they are like locked doors except crystal balls open their mouths

Birdo - yes! She needs to come back in a major Mario spin-off game that is not a sports/party/RPG game! She serves as a mini-boss in many levels and she shoots eggs and/or fireballs depending on her color; Toad needs to defeat Birdo with turnips so he can get the crystal ball

Mouser - he should come back too; he serves as a mini-boss in many levels where he throws regular bombs at Toad; Toad can pick up bombs and throw them back at Mouser; Mouser also guards crystal balls

I doubt any of these would happen but it's nice to dream...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I just want Wart back. That's all. Maybe as a surprise final boss.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So the new characters reveal kinda renewed my hopes for Captain Toad! With 4 Fire Emblem characters it doesn't seem like 6 Mario characters would be too farfetched now. Mario could very well get 2 new comers as well...
And I'd love to see like a "Three Captains" trailer or something. Showing Captain Olimar and Captain Falcon fighting, and then BAM! They get separated by everyone's favorite hero... Captain Toad. Haha.
My dreams still live on!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So the new characters reveal kinda renewed my hopes for Captain Toad! With 4 Fire Emblem characters it doesn't seem like 6 Mario characters would be too farfetched now. Mario could very well get 2 new comers as well...
And I'd love to see like a "Three Captains" trailer or something. Showing Captain Olimar and Captain Falcon fighting, and then BAM! They get separated by everyone's favorite hero... Captain Toad. Haha.
My dreams still live on!
How would you feel about a little double-reveal action on that trailer?

Cool idea btw.

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* Lol. I still don't know how to post on Smash Boards correctly. I tried to respond to BLueBubbee's post and say The 4 captains would be awesome, but I put it in his quote and it looks like he said it. Lol. Oh well, I'm sure you guys could figure out what I was TRYING to say.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Captain Toad's Trek (Walleye Redo)

[/quote]
I'm late to the party as ever, however, I think this stage is a really cool idea, and it's not too much to make it feel unplayable, whilst keeping the stage interesting and having an element of tactic to it too, which I really like.

(Also I approve of this thread's name.)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm late to the party as ever, however, I think this stage is a really cool idea, and it's not too much to make it feel unplayable, whilst keeping the stage interesting and having an element of tactic to it too, which I really like.

(Also I approve of this thread's name.)
I'm guessing you're supporting yourself brave Captain Toad?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario should have one more newcomer (Toad) and Donkey Kong needs two newcomers (Dixie and K. Rool).

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
*sigh* Lol. I still don't know how to post on Smash Boards correctly. I tried to respond to BLueBubbee's post and say The 4 captains would be awesome, but I put it in his quote and it looks like he said it. Lol. Oh well, I'm sure you guys could figure out what I was TRYING to say.
It's fine, you have to put your text after the [/quote] to make it go outside of the quote. :p

Now I really really want all four Nintendo Captains in Smash...

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I've been sold on Captain Toad as a character in Smash 4 since they showed of his new game at E3!

Please add me to the supporters list!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Lol. What that heck? Now that even looks weird. *sigh* I'm just gonna stop replying to posts. Lol.

Edit: Just kidding... I figured out what the problem was. Also. Is it possible to delete posts on Smashboards?
ANYWAY I'll stop distracting from the main topic... I apologize for my incompetence.

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
You expected Rayman's trophy and two Fire Emblem characters, neither of which were Chrom?

Impressive.

----------------------------------------------

OP was updated with new members.

Can a mod please delete some of those double posts?

Lol I meant I expected no Toad. Like the rest of us, I presume.

Last edited:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Maybe for Captain Toad's normal jump animation he could use the bouncy mushrooms that Toad uses in Mario Sports Mix?

(about 10:25 of the video)

Top Bottom