• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wonder...

You know how Toads look very similar but with different colors? What if each one looks unique, but we're just looking at it from another perspective.

Let me explain. Toads could represent the "common man" in our world and these people are often said to look the same, work the samec etc. Toads look the same and often do very similar jobs. Each person, though, is unique once looked at closely enough. So could all Toads have a defining feature about themselves, but Mario just sees them all as the same mushrooms?

Just food for thought.
Wow.

Mario's a ****ing racist.

Although it was proven in Galaxy that each of the Toad Brigade has a defining trait so the theory is entirely possible[/quote]

---------------------

OP has been updated with supporters, and organised into Arcadenik's suggested Alphabet system.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It probably might be a bit helpful if the supporter list is organized alphabetically? This way, you could better keep track of the list.

I could see Sakurai trolling the Toad fans once more by saying something like "you don't always get what you wish for!" when showing another picture of Peach using Toad as a shield. I'm tired of having false hope.
I know it seems like he keeps him look like just a meatshield, but at some point, if Toad becomes really popular, it'll get more and more difficult for Sakurai to ignore his strengths and popularity. We've had Zard before who seems to keep on trouncing other Kanto-mon as the most popular of 'em (aside from Chu and Mew2).

In anycase, unless it's just TOO IMPORTANT to keep him as a special move for Peach, we might see Toad becoming the next Ridley as years pass. Captain Toad's Adventures and other stuff that comes with it is something that gives some food for thought to move on with traditions. Not that I expect Sakurai to listen, but again, anything is possible. It's all on if Sakurai's adamant on Toad's role in Smash for as long as he's directing the series.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait, when it was said that Captain Toad's Amiibo is compatible with Smash 4?
Well it was confirmed the Amiibos were cross games recently.

Honestly there's been no official word on the specifics, but the rumour(and it is only a rumour so let's not get too excited) is the Amiibo games are all compatible with one another's Amiibos.

So you're quite right there's a very possible chance Captain Toad's Amiibo does nothing in Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well it was confirmed the Amiibos were cross games recently.

Honestly there's been no official word on the specifics, but the rumour(and it is only a rumour so let's not get too excited) is the Amiibo games are all compatible with one another's Amiibos.

So you're quite right there's a very possible chance Captain Toad's Amiibo does nothing in Smash 4.
Well I hope the rumour's true. Maybe Captain Toad would be a fun mascot character to showcase "crossing" into other games? After all, he's an adventurer, right?

Like, imagine him crossing into SSB4, Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Woolly World...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/img/oyasumi_chara.png

Someone said it means "I'd love to 'JOIN THE FIGHT' some day..." but I don't read that language and don't know how accurate that is. But still, it's cool to see C. Toad alongside MK8 and Smash Bros.
The big text in red on the first link looks ODDLY SIMILAR TO THE TEXT USED FOR MEGA MAN'S TAGLINE IN THE JAPANESE TRAILER.
IT'S ALSO IN BIG COLORED LETTERS WITH A BLACK 3D EFFECT BEHIND IT, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S SSB4 TAGLINE DID...
DQHADUIODHOCUABCNBOQFOICOFIBOBIFYESSSSSSSSSSS
CAPTAIN TOAD COIN-FURMED.

In your face, Gematsu.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The big text in red on the first link looks ODDLY SIMILAR TO THE TEXT USED FOR MEGA MAN'S TAGLINE IN THE JAPANESE TRAILER.
IT'S ALSO IN BIG COLORED LETTERS WITH A BLACK 3D EFFECT BEHIND IT, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S SSB4 TAGLINE DID...
DQHADUIODHOCUABCNBOQFOICOFIBOBIFYESSSSSSSSSSS
CAPTAIN TOAD COIN-FURMED.

In your face, Gematsu.
Not so fast.
Gematsu confirms DLC :troll:.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
You know what would be the biggest slap in the face?

Captain Toad can only fight as a computer using the Captain Toad amiibo.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Shhhhhhhhh
Don't ruin the moment while we have it.
I like gematsu. Chorus Men and DLC are awesome, It doesn't exclude any other characters. I'm confident, for instance, that Ridley and Mewtwo are playable.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know what would be the biggest slap in the face?

Captain Toad can only fight as a computer using the Captain Toad amiibo.
OH SAKURAAAIIII. No seriously don't do that, Sakurai. That's just a **** move.

I obviously support Captain Toad! :D

I'm so happy.
I should do an updated version of this with Captain Toad and Bandana Waddle Dee at some point.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
They said ALL AMIIBO is compatible with SSB4, MK8, MP10 and (most importantly) CAPTAIN TOAD'S TREASURE TRACKER.
So a Captain Toad Amiibo is basically guaranteed.
WHICH MEANS HE'S IN MP10/MK8 SSB4 NO MATTER WHAT, GUYS! :D
Ah, I love loopholes.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
They said ALL AMIIBO is compatible with SSB4, MK8, MP10 and (most importantly) CAPTAIN TOAD'S TREASURE TRACKER.
So a Captain Toad Amiibo is basically guaranteed.
WHICH MEANS HE'S IN MP10/MK8 SSB4 NO MATTER WHAT, GUYS! :D
Ah, I love loopholes.
Source?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
They, unfortunately, didn't say all amiibos are strictly compatible with all those games, just that those 5 games have amiibo functionality in some way.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I made a moveset for Captain Toad. >_>

Stats

Strength: Great (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Dash Speed: Same as Sheik and Zero Suit Samus (Tied for 4/39) (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Jump: Same as Link (32/39 in Brawl) (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Weight: Same as Olimar (30/39 in Brawl) (Mario Kart)

Abilities

Wall Jump: Yes (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Wall Cling: Yes (Wario's Woods)
Crawl: No

Specials

Neutral Special: Captain Toad digs through his backpack for a mushroom and eats it, healing 10%. If Toad is attacked during the last half a second of the move, he drops the mushroom on the ground and the opponent can eat it. The move takes 2 seconds to activate. Which is a little shorter than Mario's up taunt. This is an allusion to Toad's role as a character that gives Mario items, including the ones in the Mario Party series. This also gives purpose to his backpack.

Forward Special: Captain Toad activates his headlamp and it has the same effect as Mewtwo's disable, but with faster start up and more range. (Super Mario Galaxy/3D World/Treasure Tracker)

Up Special: A propeller platform appears below him and depending on whether Up B was activated like a Smash attack or a tilt, he will either go up fast or slow respectively. The platform will remain in place for half as long as Sonic's spring. This does not put him in a helpless state. (3D World/Treasure Tracker)

Down: A command throw that allows Toad to pick up his enemy and run with them similar to Donkey Kong. If this move is used in the air, he will grab people from directly below him. 10% (Super Mario Bros. 2/Wario's Woods)

A Combo

Captain Toad smacks his head and releases a puff of spores from his body. 6% (Mario Tennis/Smash Bros.)

Dash Attack

Captain Toad does a slide attack, that makes the opponent trip. 8% (Mario Strikers)

Smashes

Forward: Captain Toad runs forward while swinging a pickaxe up and down. Charging causes Toad to run forward, rather than increasing the power. Each hit does 15%. (Treasure Tracker)

Up: Spawns a large mushroom behind him that knocks the enemy upward. 13% (Mario Sports Mix)

Down: Captain Toad pulls out a turnip from the ground and puts it above his head. He can run freely with it, but can not do any other move until he throws it. If fully charged, Toad pulls out a bomb (not a Bob-omb). He throws his turnip/bomb faster and farther than Peach does. Turnip: 12% Bomb: 24% (Mario Bros. 2/Wario's Woods/Treasure Tracker)

Tilts

Forward: Jumps forward and tackles the opponent with his head. 16% (Mario Strikers)

Up: Takes out a green star and holds it above his head like whenever he finds a star for Mario in the games. It is a very disjointed move. 12%. (Mario 64/Mario Galaxy/3D World/Mario Party)

Down: Captain Toad spins on his head and does a break dance. Multi-hit. 15% (Mario Strikers)

Aerials

Neutral: Flails his arms around while crying. Multi-hit. 13%. (Luigi's Mansion)

Forward: Captain Toad hits them with a tennis racket, it's difficult to connect with, but powerful and has a bubble effect. 18% (Mario Tennis)

Backward: Holds a koopa shell behind him as though he was using the similar Mario Kart feature. Slow start-up, but very powerful and lasts longer than Game & Watch's turtle. 20% (Mario Kart)

Up: Toad activates a super horn that covers a large area horizontally above Toad. 15% (Mario Kart)

Down: Kicks with foot, having a forward-ish knockback. 15% (Mario Strikers)

Throws

Initial Catch: With hands.

Bash: Hit with head. 2%

Forward: Does a deke with the opponent between his feet and crashes them on the ground. (deke = juke from Mario Strikers) 10%

Backward: Backwards deke. 10%

Up: Bounces them up with Captain Toad's head. 6%

Down: Kicks forward with completely horizontal knockback, as though he were kicking a stunned opponent in Mario's platformer titles.

Final Smash

Star Festival: The Toad Brigade ship crashes down onto the stage, followed by many starbits crashing onto the stage and damage players. (Mario Galaxy)

Taunts

Up: Falls asleep.
Side: Toad puts on his head lamp, faces the player, and flashes it on, then off.
Down: Toad jumps up and down throwing one of his hands up in the air, switching per jump.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Regardless, the fact Nintendo acknowledges Captain Toad as a possible viable future candidate for Smash Bros. isn't a bad thing in my eyes, even if it's literally just that.

Although I probably wouldn't be hugely surprised if DLC characters that are tied to new releases are a thing either. Gonna keep my eyes peeled, but keep them expectations low.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, wanna know what would be a cool gimmick for Captain Toad? He can L-Cancel, but not as good as Melee L Cancel. I just might make a moveset on that...

I just thought of something that would improve the Toad Stage I thought of (It's in the first post for reference). This guy:

It would change radically depending on the direction the camera was facing. When facing one direction it's a hazard that goes back and forth, when the camera rotates it's simply a low wall that breaks up the stage. The question is, do you put it in the middle of the stage or off to the side? If it was in the middle it would be a constant threat, but off to the side it would be far more harmless. What do you guys think?

Also, if Captain Toad stage talk is inappropriate for this thread I will move it elsewhere. Thread master's call.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I just thought of something that would improve the Toad Stage I thought of (It's in the first post for reference). This guy:

It would change radically depending on the direction the camera was facing. When facing one direction it's a hazard that goes back and forth, when the camera rotates it's simply a low wall that breaks up the stage. The question is, do you put it in the middle of the stage or off to the side? If it was in the middle it would be a constant threat, but off to the side it would be far more harmless. What do you guys think?

Also, if Captain Toad stage talk is inappropriate for this thread I will move it elsewhere. Thread master's call.
It'd be cool. But as a competitive player, the less stage hazards, the better.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
There's no way a stage like this would be competitive anyways.
Yeaaahh but at least it had platforms and a drop off. It could be a counterpick the same way the flippy metroid stage in Brawl was

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I've never really had any interest in Toad before. But this Captain Toad game looks really charming and I'm genuinely considering getting it as soon as it comes out. If I have the money, I probably will.

Long live Indiana Captain Toad! Add me to that supporter list, please!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

THREAD MASTER ARRIVING FOR DUTY(also how about this for a nifty up +B)

Captain Toad stage talk is not only appropriate but actively encouraged by me since it is still completely relevant to our headlamped hero.

Personally I quite like the idea of having one either side of the stage to bounce opponents off of, when the camera switches though they'd become a single wall in the middle of the stage albeit with a spiked top that still damages if you directly land atop it.

Heck; if it's off to the side it could be MORE harmful in a way since it could be in the middle, you try to recover to the stage and then suddenly the whole thing rotates; now you have a hazard to contend with as you try to recover.

Remember; you MUST recover.

Obviously this stage idea isn't great for competitive battles, and might even be a frustrating one. I'll leave it upto you all whether you think such a placement is too evil or not.

I've never really had any interest in Toad before. But this Captain Toad game looks really charming and I'm genuinely considering getting it as soon as it comes out. If I have the money, I probably will.

Long live Indiana Captain Toad! Add me to that supporter list, please!
Added! Enjoy your time in the brigade!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

I, personally, am hoping for Captain Toad/Toad.

Top Bottom