• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
:rolleyes: So you don't know what I'm talking about.
There would still be no basis for her to be a clone at all.
Side B? Her character is gracefulness, not stereotypical female. Wouldn't have that.
Standard B? Little to no relation with Toads.
Up B? Doesn't have a parasol at all.
Down B? Wasn't in SMB2.
She could not have been a clone. It would make perfect sense to put Galaxy stuff no matter how you look at it.
Bowser J.R. also does none of what Bowser does in Smash other then fire. He doesn't have the pure weight Bowser uses for his moves. Clown Car is obvious.

The post is all THESE CHARACTERS ARE LAME COMPARED TO TOAD BECAUSE CLONES! I went back to read it and that's pretty much what the first part is saying.
I agree with the second part though.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Meh, honestly - Toad should have been in Smash Bros. by now. Such an iconic character and he's been playable in so many games too; yet, oddly Rosalina got in before him.

Don't get me wrong - I'm okay with her addition; however, it strikes me odd to see her included before a character such as Toad. Toad's even getting his own game now in the form of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker so that makes him the only Mario character with his own namesake game title to not be in Smash as of yet.

For goodness sake, Toad was part of the nationwide McDonald's Happy Meal promotion for Mario Kart 8. The other characters were Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, DK, and Bowser. Even Wario didn't make the cut. That's pretty darn exclusive. I believe there was another Happy Meal promotion in Europe and that one also included a Toad figurine.

I'm aware that this argument may be weak in some views; however, it's sad to think that one of the Nintendo protagonists featured in this campaign nationwide isn't in a game featuring major Nintendo characters. Many younger gamers can easily learn the names of these characters through exposure of a cheap toy at such a large brand restaurant chain.

I've seen cashiers and kids recalling Toad's name before Bowser's very own name at some of these said restaurants while ordering these toys in their meals. Perhaps it's my own experience (yes, I'm aware that a reasoning like McDonald's can be laughable); however, seeing such a promotion and noticing Toad's exposure in it has saddened me to think he's been beaten by Rosalina this time around.

Oh well, I'm still very happy that Captain Toad is finally getting his own game. I've been wanting a Toad game ever since I first played Super Mario Advance nearly 10 years ago! O.O Definitely the game that makes me want a Wii U!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Frankly enough. Rosalina still reps SMG, a critically acclaimed 3D Mario of last 8 years. Toad had just RECENTLY started to gain a major exposure in Nintendo's eyes, as much as he was competing with Rosalina and they clearly gave her more promotion instead.
IMO, Nintendo EAD seems to have moved on Toad for this time being and now are testing his grounds with the consumers (now that everything seems set "safe" with 3D World and Mario Kart 8 being around)

And honestly, after seeing Treasure Tracker, I don't really care for Toad to pop up in Smash for the time being- I think having his own damn game over likes of Captain Falcon is IMO better than begging Sakurai to make him relevant again (with next to no chance other than a meatshield-status.) I know it's kinda bittersweet, but Smash ain't anything. And as much as it's great, it can be nothing compared to a new game in your franchise.

In anycase, I hope indeed that Nintendo will try newer grounds with Toad even further on as time goes on. A lot points here talking about him are pretty good notes...

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I know it's kinda bittersweet, but Smash ain't anything.
I think you mean Smash ain't EVERYTHING. It's certainly SOMETHING, but it's not like there's not other ways Nintendo characters (And Snake) can gain fame and exposure. We wouldn't have any idea who Takamaru WAS if it wasn't for Nintendo Land, and he's an Assist Trophy. Takamaru is about to be rebooted, and it's not because of Super Smash Bros.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Frankly enough. Rosalina still reps SMG, a critically acclaimed 3D Mario of last 8 years. Toad had just RECENTLY started to gain a major exposure in Nintendo's eyes, as much as he was competing with Rosalina and they clearly gave her more promotion instead.
IMO, Nintendo EAD seems to have moved on Toad for this time being and now are testing his grounds with the consumers (now that everything seems set "safe" with 3D World and Mario Kart 8 being around)

And honestly, after seeing Treasure Tracker, I don't really care for Toad to pop up in Smash for the time being- I think having his own damn game over likes of Captain Falcon is IMO better than begging Sakurai to make him relevant again (with next to no chance other than a meatshield-status.) I know it's kinda bittersweet, but Smash ain't anything. And as much as it's great, it can be nothing compared to a new game in your franchise.

In anycase, I hope indeed that Nintendo will try newer grounds with Toad even further on as time goes on. A lot points here talking about him are pretty good notes...
Well... After Captain Toad's TreasureTracker is released, Toad will have his own game; Rosalina on the other hand will still have zero of her own.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well... After Captain Toad's TreasureTracker is released, Toad will have his own game; Rosalina on the other hand will still have zero of her own.
For now... you never know with Nintendo... they might make Rosalina's Quest: Super Mario Galaxy 3 or something.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
For now... you never know with Nintendo... they might make Rosalina's Quest: Super Mario Galaxy 3 or something.
If so, then so be it, especially if it means we can get another potentially amazing high quality game from Nintendo EAD.
I personally think it's bit ignorant to brush these characters off just because they're getting attention based on fan popularity? Rosalina still deserves her popularity and managed to have a good career ahead for being a break-out character for numerous as of late. Isn't Toad growing to be same?

I'd be pretty sad if her being popular would turn out to be just a "phase".

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really hope that whatever Nintendo is doing with Toads right now is not a phase. I am concerned about how Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will perform sales-wise. I really hope that Toad's own game will sell well to warrant a sequel before SSB5 is announced.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If so, then so be it, especially if it means we can get another potentially amazing high quality game from Nintendo EAD.
I personally think it's bit ignorant to brush these characters off just because they're getting attention based on fan popularity? Rosalina still deserves her popularity and managed to have a good career ahead for being a break-out character for numerous as of late. Isn't Toad growing to be same?

I'd be pretty sad if her being popular would turn out to be just a "phase".
Well, Toad has been around about twenty two years longer than Rosalina has.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Captain Toad is a shoe in for Smash 5 (if and when that's happening)... And I highly doubt DLC for this game, in fact, I don't want it if it means getting characters from the modern era, that's what the next Smash is for (Oh jeez, I'm justifying evil business tactics in my head here, might as well defend EA's right to release annual sports titles just for roster upgrades).

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
To be honest I'm still very annoyed by Rosalina's role overall in the Mario franchise. Rosalina doesn't represent Super Mario Galaxy, Mario does. Heck, she does like, absolutely nothing but stand in place for the main part of the 1st game, makes a cameo in the second, and suddenly she's the face of SMG ? Captain Toad does more than her, same for the rest of the Toad.

Rosalina is kind of a Space Peach, like some people call her. I do remember how the majority of people were thinking she was Peach redesigned when Galaxy was announced and the screenshots came in. People call out Daisy on the fact that she's a Peach clone, and it's true. But the same applies to Rosalina, and it's not her meaningless and nonsensical 'background story' that gives her character. She's probably a new favorite at Nintendo because of her design, and once again it's extremely close to Peach's.

Rosalina doesn't exude as much character as Toad does, and she is kind of bland. Of course she appears to be graceful and to have a Mother side to her, and we can give her a personality, but the same goes for the majority of the Mario characters. I really don't like how people say that she has more character because the book she reads is apparently her 'story' (and ugh, her story doesn't make sense so I'm not really sure it's a good point), let's face it, she looks good and has some random magical powers of some sort, but she's not a developed character. I also don't like how they keep changing her size, but taht's a reoccurring theme in the Mario World it seems.

Super Mario Galaxy did not need to have a character to be represented, it was certainly a wonderful game, but a nice stage would have done the trick. We didn't get Bowser Junior or Petey Pirahna in Brawl in spite of Super Mario Sunshine's success, did we ? And the people who say that she is unique are right, but it's not like you couldn't have taken her concept and given it to Peach. Peach is a ruler, she could have fought with Toad. King Dedede could have been paired up with a Waddle Dee, Ashley could have been paired with Red, etc... Everyone can be unique, so it is baffling to me that this concept has been given to Rosalina who is supposedly a guardian of the stars, yet she sends them to the fight and lets them get destroyed and replaced. That's really in character, right ?

That's why I'm always peeved when people say that Rosalina had potential and not Toad. Toad has potential, popularity, starpower. He has it all and should have a playable role at some point (read : by now). Heck, he even got his own game and is one of the most beloved characters of the Mario franchise, so I don't understand this choice.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
“[ . . . ] The game is very “Nintendo”. It brings Toad into the foreground as the star of his own game, because until now he’s just been given side character roles. And because he’s the focus, the gameplay revolves around his personality and play-style, similarly. [ . . . ]”

Reading this made me very happy. It's nice that they are acknowledging the fact that he has been brushed off in the past, but at the same time seem excited that he is finally in the spotlight. I also like that they are making an effort to bring out his personality and make it feel like a truly Toad game.
All of this bodes well for his inclusion in Super Smash Bros 5.

(And on a personal note, I like that they still call him 'Toad' - it really pleases me to hear that he is still the good old Toad we know and love.)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Interesting observation ! So they also consider Captain Toad as 'just' Toad. I'm glad he finally has a game to his name... The first one should have been called Toad Woods.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Captain Toad is a shoe in for Smash 5 (if and when that's happening)... And I highly doubt DLC for this game, in fact, I don't want it if it means getting characters from the modern era, that's what the next Smash is for (Oh jeez, I'm justifying evil business tactics in my head here, might as well defend EA's right to release annual sports titles just for roster upgrades).
To be honest, I thought he was a shoo-in in SSB4. I mean, Nintendo was finally giving Toad(s) starring roles in NSMBWii/U and especially SM3DW. But Sakurai still picked Rosalina over Toad.

Toad is the Chrom of the Mario series. Sakurai himself said that even if a character can fight, if said character doesn't have anything that makes them stick out from the pack that Sakurai could extract something unique from them, he's not going to add them. Chrom didn't get in because he's similar to Marth and Ike. Well, Toad is similar to Mario and Luigi since he possesses the same abilities and skills that Mario and Luigi possess. We might as well throw in Peach to the mix since they pick up and throw turnips. Toad needs to differentiate himself from Mario, Luigi, and even Peach. I wish Nintendo would make a Wario's Woods sequel just so Captain Toad would be stacking enemies... that's something Mario, Luigi, and Peach don't do. He needs something to make himself stand out from the other Mario characters so he can grab Sakurai's attention and hold his interest long enough to survive the whole SSB5 development cycle.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well let's all hope that Toad's game does well. It looks to be a thoroughly fun game and I'm really looking forward to more information about Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker!
“[ . . . ] The game is very “Nintendo”. It brings Toad into the foreground as the star of his own game, because until now he’s just been given side character roles. And because he’s the focus, the gameplay revolves around his personality and play-style, similarly. [ . . . ]”

Reading this made me very happy. It's nice that they are acknowledging the fact that he has been brushed off in the past, but at the same time seem excited that he is finally in the spotlight. I also like that they are making an effort to bring out his personality and make it feel like a truly Toad game.
All of this bodes well for his inclusion in Super Smash Bros 5.

(And on a personal note, I like that they still call him 'Toad' - it really pleases me to hear that he is still the good old Toad we know and love.)
I'm very happy to see that review! ^_^. I sure hope they reveal more information about Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as I'm really fired up for more info! ^_^

It's wonderful that the game is made to represent Toad's character as nicely as possibly. This game is truly a great gift for the Toad fans by Nintendo and I'm truly happy to see our little Mushroom Retainer coming to the limelight on his own.

He's no longer "roster filling", Captain Toad is finally the main star with his own title! Also Captain Toad's beta icon from SM3DW is essentially Toad :0 :

Also I'm sure the captain will reveal new moves for us. The Pickaxe already looks awesome! It is disappointing about Smash Bros. and how Toad was excluded, but let's hope Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker comes in like the Golden Express for reviews and sales!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Also I'm sure the captain will reveal new moves for us. The Pickaxe already looks awesome!
On the topic of moves, I've come up with a few specials-only sets to give a rough idea of the many directions I feel like Toad in Smash could take.

The first (and in my opinion, worst) option is the Mario/Luigi clone. We'll call that Option A.
Neutral Special: Ice Ball (clone of Fireball, but with freezing properties)
Side Special: Toad Torpedo (clone of Green Missile, but weaker and with no chance of misfiring)
Up Special: Super Toad Jump (clone of Super Jump Punch, but completely vertical)
Down Special: Toad Twirl (clone of Luigi Cyclone, but quicker and with more knockback)

Option B is based off of classic Toad. It draws moves from Super Mario Bros 2, Wario's Woods, and various classic powerups (because he is an item salesman!).
Neutral Special: Bomb (from Wario's Woods; Toad tosses a giant bomb a short distance away from him, which explodes on contact)
Side Special: Item Box (from Super Mario Bros 3; Toad opens a chest and a random Mario power-up pops out)
Up Special: Charge Jump (from Super Mario Bros 2; Toad crouches down and charges up, before leaping high into the air)
Down Special: Mushroom Block (from Super Mario Bros 2; Toad picks a Mushroom Block from the ground, which he can throw at opponents to cause damage and also to create a barrior/platform)

Option C is a full-out Treasure Tracker moveset. Bear in mind that it is only based on what I've seen of the game so far.
Neutral Special: Pickaxe (Toad takes out his pickaxe and begins to mine, which causes damage to anybody hit by the tip. He can slowly walk forward while using his pick.)
Side Special: Minecart (Toad hops in a minecart and rides forward at the a little under the speed of Wario's bike. Crashing into opponents causes damage, and also causes the minecart to tip over. His Down Special can be used while riding.)
Up Special: Helicopter Platform (Toad stands upon one of those propellor platforms from 3D world - the ones that you blow into the mike to use. It floats upward and Toad hops off. The platform stays there for a few seconds and can be used by other fighters)
Down Special: Turnip Throw (Toad quickly plucks a turnip out of the ground and tosses it into the air. Functions like Peach's move, but with a different throwing arc.)

Which option do you think is the best? What about the most likely?
Myself? I would prefer Option B. However, I see Option A as being more likely if regular Toad (or Blue Toad) is added. If Captain Toad specifically is added, though, Option C would obviously be the way to go.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@ PixelPasta PixelPasta

Wonderful movesets you got there! :D

Personally, I like the looks of both options B and C; however, the moveset exclusive to Captain Toad seems real unique. It could truly show a moveset based off the true personality Toad brings in from his own game.

Of course, there might be even more secret moves Captain Toad might use when more information about Treasure Tracker is released, but so far I love the look of moveset C personally!

Toad really should have a moveset that is meant to be true fun and even comedic. The Toad Brigade was essentially comic relief in the Galaxy games and Captain Toad's own tune seems to indicate his carefree and hilarious personality.

Boy, Toad sure has moved up the ranks in recent years. Just look at the potential he has now. :0

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
@ PixelPasta PixelPasta

Wonderful movesets you got there! :D

Personally, I like the looks of both options B and C; however, the moveset exclusive to Captain Toad seems real unique. It could truly show a moveset based off the true personality Toad brings in from his own game.

Of course, there might be even more secret moves Captain Toad might use when more information about Treasure Tracker is released, but so far I love the look of moveset C personally!

Toad really should have a moveset that is meant to be true fun and even comedic. The Toad Brigade was essentially comic relief in the Galaxy games and Captain Toad's own tune seems to indicate his carefree and hilarious personality.

Boy, Toad sure has moved up the ranks in recent years. Just look at the potential he has now. :0
Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm just so glad he has all this moveset potential now. Maybe people will finally start to take him seriously as a possible newcomer.

I totally agree that Toad should have a truly fun moveset. And like you said, funny too! I imagine that his very quick running speed paired with wild, erratic tilts and smashes would definitely create a very comedic character. I envision a lot of shrieking throughout the battle, in his signature shrill voice, of course.

And speaking of the Toad Brigade - Final Smash material, perhaps?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Yay, time for me to rant and bleh!!

First off, I'm really happy to have read that article on Treasure Tracker. Nintendo may not grant all our wishes, but they're self-aware and that's almost better. I'm interested in the "personality-wise" part...Captain Toad's screams can ward off enemies? :3 I'm also excited because...well, to be honest, the E3 trailer had a lot more variety than 3D World's, and look how great that game turned out. Nintendo knows how to make games, and I'm sure they won't let Toad's spotlight be for nothing.

Now for Rosalina.

She's alright. I bash on her and stuff, but she's okay (better than *gulp* Waluigi). What really bugs me is that, in my opinion, she's the result if someone took Captain Olimar and threw in some Mario and Luigi moves from Galaxy. Seriously? She barely did anything in the Galaxy series! She's just standing like, "Oh yeah, Mario, I forgot that there's a bunch more galaxies that you need to discover trolololol :D" At least the Lumas gave helpful advice and the Toad Brigade gave Power Stars (and some comical relief).

What did she do in Galaxy 2? If I remember correctly, she only appeared at the very end to sum up the game, and once in a while she sent 1-ups. Big whoop, Peach still sends me 1-ups, and I'm done with the game! She also serves as the "Luigi Guide" of the game, giving you poopy Brown Stars because, apparently, you suck.

After playing as Olimar in Brawl, I'm even more disappointed that she was chosen to rep the biggest gaming franchise of all time along with other staples. Think: she's Olimar, and her Lumas are the Pikmin. The end. Exciting, huh? Olimar's fun to be, but I don't think we need two of any character for that matter.

Yes, Galaxy/2 were masterpieces. I know they were great, but it's not like we have Tingle to represent Wind Waker, which was also great (to me). And let's not forget that the Toads could also represent the New Super Mario Bros. games which, hate on me all you want, were great as well.

Smash 5 better not do this again. If Nintendo chooses Daisy or Waluigi to represent Mario Kart or the sports games, humanity has failed me (okay, not that dramatic, but still :/).

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
We either could have gotten Mario with one move to represent Galaxy, or Rosalina who has an entire moveset that represents Galaxy. And Super Mario Galaxy is just so good that I'm fine with it having an entire character to represent it.

As for why I think SSB5 should have Captain Toad and not SSB4, well, Toad, despite having a greater role in the NSMB series and SM3DW, he still doesn't have anything really unique to his character... that is until Captain Toad. In Treasure Tracker we're seeing things this Toad can do that no other Mario character has done before (things like the pickaxe, for example), and it's not just some minor spin-off game like Wario's Woods, this is a for real Tokyo EAD game with Toad as the lead character and in the title, this is a much bigger deal. And since Smash Bros. generally focuses on the previous generation and games that came before it, and also because this Smash Bros. has already added a new Mario character with Rosalina, it would make more sense for them to wait on Toad for the fifth game, and properly make him Captain Toad.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I gonna to be honest.Out all the suggestions ever made for smash bros.I really hate the idea of toad.Just i don't see why people want him so bad.Like does mario need 6 reps.While franchise like Dk,Metroid and F-zero can barely get reps.I just do see the appeal

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I gonna to be honest.Out all the suggestions ever made for smash bros.I really hate the idea of toad.Just i don't see why people want him so bad.Like does mario need 6 reps.While franchise like Dk,Metroid and F-zero can barely get reps.I just do see the appeal
Well considering Mario is easily the most recognizable and most important Nintendo IP (with LoZ and Pokemon pretty high up there too), I think it's safe to say it deserves more reps than the less important/"forgotten" franchises like Metroid and F-Zero (which isn't to say that they aren't great franchise, it's just that Nintendo obviously doesn't care about them nearly as much).

If you're not a fan of Toad then that's fine. I honestly couldn't care less about a lot of the highly requested characters, mostly because I haven't played their games. Even if I have played their games and am still not a huge fan, I'm open to their inclusion simply because it would make a lot of other people happy and the roster isn't all about who I like the most, but rather a celebration of Nintendo as a whole. Obviously the more popular a franchise is the more characters it's going to get in Smash.

You don't see why people want him so bad because you're just not a fan of his character. Different people like different things.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Well considering Mario is easily the most recognizable and most important Nintendo IP (with LoZ and Pokemon pretty high up there too), I think it's safe to say it deserves more reps than the less important/"forgotten" franchises like Metroid and F-Zero (which isn't to say that they aren't great franchise, it's just that Nintendo obviously doesn't care about them nearly as much).

If you're not a fan of Toad then that's fine. I honestly couldn't care less about a lot of the highly requested characters, mostly because I haven't played their games. Even if I have played their games and am still not a huge fan, I'm open to their inclusion simply because it would make a lot of other people happy and the roster isn't all about who I like the most, but rather a celebration of Nintendo as a whole. Obviously the more popular a franchise is the more characters it's going to get in Smash.

You don't see why people want him so bad because you're just not a fan of his character. Different people like different things.
yeah i guess that makes since.I don't hate on people who want him if you want him in that's fine.I just find it a odd coice

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
yeah i guess that makes since.I don't hate on people who want him if you want him in that's fine.I just find it a odd coice
Toad is one of the most famous video game characters in existence, recognizable even by many non-gamers.
He deserves a spot in smash for that alone.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I see Captain Toad similar to Wario Ware Wario. He's not the most iconic version of the character, not the one your every day Joe will know about, but he is the version of the character that is most unique and represents his own game/series. Sure, Wario had Wario Land, bu this yellow and purple outfit is too much associated with the Mario series, just as Toad's basic attire is also associated with it. Captain Toad though, when we see him, we know he'll be in for his own thing, he wouldn't need to be carried by Mario anymore.

Not that I don't think he should still be labeled a Mario series character. Treasure Trackers doesn't divorce itself from the Mario series by that much, I mean, Luigi is still a Mario series character and he has the Luigi's Mansion games.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I see Captain Toad similar to Wario Ware Wario. He's not the most iconic version of the character, not the one your every day Joe will know about, but he is the version of the character that is most unique and represents his own game/series. Sure, Wario had Wario Land, bu this yellow and purple outfit is too much associated with the Mario series, just as Toad's basic attire is also associated with it. Captain Toad though, when we see him, we know he'll be in for his own thing, he wouldn't need to be carried by Mario anymore.

Not that I don't think he should still be labeled a Mario series character. Treasure Trackers doesn't divorce itself from the Mario series by that much, I mean, Luigi is still a Mario series character and he has the Luigi's Mansion games.
And like Wario Ware Wario, he'd have a classic alt!
Which is why I am mostly indifferent as to whether "Captain Toad" or "Toad" gets in.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Welcome to the Captain Toad thread, where we discuss why Captain/Toad should be in Smash!

I respect your opinion, though x3

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I see we are discussing Rosalina.

I may throw my hat into the ring on this one; Rosalina sucker punched not only me, but many Toad supporters last year.

We'd expected Bowser Jr. to be the biggest rival but then she arrived. I gotta admit for about six months I freaking HATED her. She was getting starring roles in all manner of things. Baby Rosalina convinced me she was going to be the next character to overshadow Toad, and since old school Toad fans such as myself had been forced to put up with this with Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser Jr. and even Petey Piranha in the past, I was reaching boiling point by the time BABY ROSALINA joined Mario Kart 8.

Luckily some good things were happening for Toad too; Nintendo apparently FINALLY realised that people like Toad, something that still flabbergasts me to this day; people like a reoccurring playable character in the most successful video game franchise in the world? How very surprising Nintendo.

Not only that but Toad also made his very first playable Mario Golf appearance, and of course E3 changed everything. It's nice to see that even though Nintendo EAD is pushing Rosalina into the limelight, they're also increasing exposure and fan love for Toad via Captain Toad.

Upon realising Rosalina's success wasn't going to make Toad neglected yet again, I can now honestly say I bare no ill will towards her as it appears both she and Toad can get spotlight time without either getting neglected.

I also can't blame the Toad fans though who aren't overly chuffed with Rosalina's inclusion...it's been 15 years and he's one of the most well known Nintendo characters of all time. All the other more well known Mario cast have been included, and Toad's chance appeared to be upon us, before being seemingly cruelly snubbed yet again...

...still we've got Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Nintendo's acknowledgement that he's a popular little shroom, so even if it takes another seven years(urgh...I'm gonna have kids before my childhood dream of playable Toad occurs at this rate), we can safely say Captain Toad is at the very least very much going to be considered for Smash 5(or 6 if you're Sakurai).

It's our job as Toad fans to go out and buy his game(and maybe his Amiibo), play it and hopefully love it!

Let's encourage this long overdue character love from Nintendo, Toad brigade!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
On the topic of moves, I've come up with a few specials-only sets to give a rough idea of the many directions I feel like Toad in Smash could take.

The first (and in my opinion, worst) option is the Mario/Luigi clone. We'll call that Option A.
Neutral Special: Ice Ball (clone of Fireball, but with freezing properties)
Side Special: Toad Torpedo (clone of Green Missile, but weaker and with no chance of misfiring)
Up Special: Super Toad Jump (clone of Super Jump Punch, but completely vertical)
Down Special: Toad Twirl (clone of Luigi Cyclone, but quicker and with more knockback)

Option B is based off of classic Toad. It draws moves from Super Mario Bros 2, Wario's Woods, and various classic powerups (because he is an item salesman!).
Neutral Special: Bomb (from Wario's Woods; Toad tosses a giant bomb a short distance away from him, which explodes on contact)
Side Special: Item Box (from Super Mario Bros 3; Toad opens a chest and a random Mario power-up pops out)
Up Special: Charge Jump (from Super Mario Bros 2; Toad crouches down and charges up, before leaping high into the air)
Down Special: Mushroom Block (from Super Mario Bros 2; Toad picks a Mushroom Block from the ground, which he can throw at opponents to cause damage and also to create a barrior/platform)

Option C is a full-out Treasure Tracker moveset. Bear in mind that it is only based on what I've seen of the game so far.
Neutral Special: Pickaxe (Toad takes out his pickaxe and begins to mine, which causes damage to anybody hit by the tip. He can slowly walk forward while using his pick.)
Side Special: Minecart (Toad hops in a minecart and rides forward at the a little under the speed of Wario's bike. Crashing into opponents causes damage, and also causes the minecart to tip over. His Down Special can be used while riding.)
Up Special: Helicopter Platform (Toad stands upon one of those propellor platforms from 3D world - the ones that you blow into the mike to use. It floats upward and Toad hops off. The platform stays there for a few seconds and can be used by other fighters)
Down Special: Turnip Throw (Toad quickly plucks a turnip out of the ground and tosses it into the air. Functions like Peach's move, but with a different throwing arc.)

Which option do you think is the best? What about the most likely?
Myself? I would prefer Option B. However, I see Option A as being more likely if regular Toad (or Blue Toad) is added. If Captain Toad specifically is added, though, Option C would obviously be the way to go.
I think there should be a mix of option B and C. I agree that A is literally nothing more than a Luigi clone, with Green Missle clone, Luigi Cyclone clone, Fireball clone, and verticle Super jump punch.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No amount of sales Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker might make is going to make Sakurai want to add Toad to the Smash roster. Nintendo needs to develop Toad's character in future games in order to differentiate Toad from Mario, Luigi, and Peach. I mean, whenever Toad is playable in a main Mario game, he has the same abilities and skills as Mario, Luigi, and Peach. The only unique thing Toad has going for him right now is his speed... which essentially would make him a faster Mario clone in Smash. He needs to be developed into his own character who can stand out from the pack in order to make Sakurai interested in Toad. I really hope that whatever character development Toad will undergo in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will be consistently shown in future games and that Nintendo will make Captain Toad unique enough to meet Sakurai's standards.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Captain Toad already looks unique enough if you ask me, the problem is that it's too late for Smash 4 (unless there's DLC... but I'd rather not see that).

I never saw why so many people thought Bowser Jr. was likely. He was always a crony for Bowser, a lackey, there was nothing really significant about him other than he was new and was in newer games. Like, Rosalina can represent Super Mario Galaxy... Bowser Jr. can't really represent anything. Not that I expected Rosalina at all, I thought Mario could've done a good enough job representing Galaxy with one of his attacks, just as Mario has represented all of his other main series games with attacks. But I'm not mad, especially after Rosalina became playable in SM3DW, it showed that she wasn't only just here to stay, but that she was getting more and more important to the Mario series as time went on. The main Mario series at that, Daisy and Waluigi can't touch that.

Toad can though, he has the iconic status at least, but he just wasn't unique enough until Treasure Tracker. So I really hope he makes it in next time as the Captain.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No amount of sales Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker might make is going to make Sakurai want to add Toad to the Smash roster.
Ah, but Arcadenik; if Treasure Tracker is a huge success, you can bet your butt they'll keep Captain Toad around...maybe even make it into a little series? Since it's completely different from regular Mario games I could see this; if successful, becoming a neat little side series akin to Warioware or at the very least Luigi's Mansion.

I don't trust Sakurai when it comes to Toad, but I DO trust Nintendo EAD. They've done some good work.

Juliusaurus; my apologies, but would you like to be added to the supporters list? I'm a little unsure whether you wish to be included as one for Smash 4, or are advocating for just Smash 5(albeit I know your stance on DLC)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well, it's freaking Mario. The number 1 most popular and most selling series of not just Nintendo, but all of Video Games. With almost 300 games at this point too, I think. [Like, 230 at the least] Mario shouldn't even have a limit, really.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Hey, a Captain Toad series isn't a bad idea. I mean, think about it; besides Luigi's Mansion, almost all Mario series spin-offs (i.e. Yoshi and Donkey Kong Country) are 2D (vein of Super Mario Bros.) or 2.5D (vein of New Super Mario Bros.) sidescrollers, and as much as I love NSMB and Yoshi and etc., I think we've had enough of those for a bit.
Captain Toad, however, brings an entirely new concept to the Nintendo-verse (or at least the Mario-verse). We haven't been able to play as a character whose main quirk is that he can't jump, and the fact that a whole game revolves around that leaves a lot to be explored. Sure, Link and other characters can't jump either, but Captain Toad spotlights not jumping, and coming from the Mario franchise, that's pretty unique. Probably the most ironic thing since having Luigi clean out a haunted mansion.

Top Bottom