• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I don't see how that will be a problem for Shantae when you can literally see Palutena's underwear (and you could see Peach's back in Melee). And Bayonetta is a risque character from an M rated game. Shantae shouldn't be a problem.
Plus in Shantae's case, her design pretty much is the definition of "different culture, different standards". Take that away from her and it'd be like shaving Mario's mustache off.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So theres some poeple saying from the recent Famitsu Column detailing an interview with Sakurai that the 103 stages so far is the FINAL amount

What does everyone here think about it? That stage layout on the screen in the drect looked sloppy especially since if you included the random button, a 13 by 8 grid would show all 104 spaces perfectly. but instead we have these 6 blank spaces for no reason and it just DOES NOT see like Sakurai to have it like that, and eventual DLC is not an excuse for that.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Plus in Shantae's case, her design pretty much is the definition of "different culture, different standards". Take that away from her and it'd be like shaving Mario's mustache off.
Yup. We also had Link in his underwear and Mario in just a bathing suit in their games on the Switch, so I don't see why Shantae would be a problem.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So theres some poeple saying from the recent Famitsu Column detailing an interview with Sakurai that the 103 stages so far is the FINAL amount

What does everyone here think about it? That stage layout on the screen in the drect looked sloppy especially since if you included the random button, a 13 by 8 grid would show all 104 spaces perfectly. but instead we have these 6 blank spaces for no reason and it just DOES NOT see like Sakurai to have it like that, and eventual DLC is not an excuse for that.
Well clearly there's 6 more stages then ;)
But really, I don't think anything is final when it hasn't all been revealed.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

As it said, that was the goal, not the end result. And Sakurai and the team are known overachievers.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

I read it as that 103 is the current number that they have so far, not that it's the final count. Especially with those six missing stages.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've debated this. I think a good way they could implement her is as a 3D model with a cartoon shader that makes her look 2D (not like G&W who is actually 2D). I think that would emulate her look pretty accurately.
Didn't Matt comment on how he thinks Shantae would look in Smash Bros?

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
I voted for Shantae back in the ballot, but I had always seen the odds as being l stacked against her. Even if she's probably my most wanted now that K. Rool is in, I haven't been able to bring myself to believe in her chances. But seeing all this support and optimism in this thread from you guys is making me turn a bit. Wayforward had always been willing to play ball with its fans when it comes to Shantae in Smash, so I hope something comes from their sudden silence on that topic.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
About the ballot, I'm just curious : Did you guys vote for her back in the day or did you get familiar with her prior to the ballot ? I'll admit that I didn't really know her and was focused on voting Daisy haha
Also, was she mentioned in smash thrads all lot already ?
Yeah I didn’t vote her either (I was fighting very heavily for Sceptile, and still am).

I might as well pass along the info about the latest Column by Sakurai here. There wasn't much new to it, but he does say at the end that he referred to the smash ballot for adding characters (like K.Rool who got a ton of votes). And I'm pretty sure that bodes well for Shantae too, since she's popular. Even though I still think that it's not all about popularity, since it's nintendo. But it looks good.
Here's the link:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/
This is why I think ya boi Sceptile still has a HUGE chance compared to every other pokemon. But yeah, if this is based on the ballot, that means Shantae has one heck of a chance this time.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Didn't Matt comment on how he thinks Shantae would look in Smash Bros?
I think he’s only compared sizes (between Mega Man and Pit/Peach).

Though if Shantae makes it in Smash, she’ll be designed to fit in the rest of the cast like any other fighter. They don’t look like they come straight from the game they originated right? So I’m totally envisioning a full on, polished 3D model of her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think he’s only compared sizes (between Mega Man and Pit/Peach).

Though if Shantae makes it in Smash, she’ll be designed to fit in the rest of the cast like any other fighter. They don’t look like they come straight from the game they originated right? So I’m totally envisioning a full on, polished 3D model of her.
Yeah. Hoping they go with something similar to the PC look when it comes to design.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't remember if I voted for Shantae or not. But Shantae is the only Indie character I'd like to see get in. I supported the 1/2 genie hero kickstarter and I have all the rest of the games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't remember if I voted for Shantae or not. But Shantae is the only Indie character I'd like to see get in. I supported the 1/2 genie hero kickstarter and I have all the rest of the games.
Speaking of supporting the kickstarter, who else supported? I actually got the enemy design teir and made slimegal!

Last edited:

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Speaking of supporting the kickstarter, who else supported? I actually got the enemy design teir and made slimegal!
Oh dang, that must have been a pretty penny to do that. o_o; I supported the Kickstarter, but only up to the 3D Poster level.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wish I could go back and support 1/2 genie hero more and skip Mighty No 9

I still don't even have a copy of Mighty no 9 because the version I selected is "Currently in Development" ...never coming out

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
For the earlier conversation, yeah I voted for Shantae. Even before I voted for Geno. >_>

Oh wow! I'm so jealous of you! xD

I supported the Kickstarter up to the $200 reward tier. I had considered going higher than that but the next tier was "Your Art in Game" and I can't draw. I only thought about after the fact that I could have probably commissioned an art piece or something or got a friend to do it. >_>

The tier after that was the "Design an Enemy" tier (if I recall) and I DID want that one but it was already all taken. xD

So I ended up staying at the $200 tier.~

Edit: Ah, "Get a Sketch from Matt Bozon" was the tier after "Your Art in Game" but then "Enemy Design" was after that. Either way, I did want to design an enemy but it was all filled up.~

Edit 2: You can find my username "Jazzy Jinx" in the credits of HGH. Again, congrats on the enemy design and thank you for contributing such a generous amount to the Kickstarter!

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1032353307505778688
So Sakurai included Ritcher in Super Smash Bros Ultimate in order to get people to know who the character is..... another "Shantae can't be in Smash because..." is debunked thanks to Sakurai. It means that Shantae can be added just so people will know her more(that and pay more attention to the indie gallery).

I feel Shantae's chances of being a playable fighter has gone up yet again(if the whole radio silence, lack of being part of other fighting crossovers and those devs PR comments about the situation is anything to go by).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Something I find kind of interesting about the idea that the remaining 6 slots will be for dlc. Isn't that a very specific number for something that Sakurai presumably doesn't start working on until after the launch of the base game?

Unless he's already started planning dlc.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1032353307505778688
So Sakurai included Ritcher in Super Smash Bros Ultimate in order to get people to know who the character is..... another "Shantae can't be in Smash because..." is debunked thanks to Sakurai. It means that Shantae can be added just so people will know her more(that and pay more attention to the indie gallery).

I feel Shantae's chances of being a playable fighter has gone up yet again(if the whole radio silence, lack of being part of other fighting crossovers and those devs PR comments about the situation is anything to go by).
I'm surprised more people don't know him with the "What is a man?" meme

Did everyone just assume that was Simon?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wait, that was you?! How cool!
Been replaying the game and every time i see her i smile.

Oh dang, that must have been a pretty penny to do that. o_o; I supported the Kickstarter, but only up to the 3D Poster level.
It was expensive, but worth it. I want to make my own games, one of them being a metro8d vania with a slime girl, and it was a great learning experiance to see the process of designing a character from the bottom up

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Something I find kind of interesting about the idea that the remaining 6 slots will be for dlc. Isn't that a very specific number for something that Sakurai presumably doesn't start working on until after the launch of the base game?

Unless he's already started planning dlc.
likely due to the fact ESRB has rated the game. and how close we are to going gold. All design work is probably done,

So plotting potential DLC isn't too far fetched on an Idea.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, as a warning for the future, if you have to explain anything about Shantae in a diffrent thread when the topic comes up, do so with facts and class and make sure not to throw around acusations or just generally anything that might make things go to a less positive discussions. Just getting this off my chest for reasons.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For the earlier conversation, yeah I voted for Shantae. Even before I voted for Geno. >_>

Oh wow! I'm so jealous of you! xD

I supported the Kickstarter up to the $200 reward tier. I had considered going higher than that but the next tier was "Your Art in Game" and I can't draw. I only thought about after the fact that I could have probably commissioned an art piece or something or got a friend to do it. >_>

The tier after that was the "Design an Enemy" tier (if I recall) and I DID want that one but it was already all taken. xD

So I ended up staying at the $200 tier.~

Edit: Ah, "Get a Sketch from Matt Bozon" was the tier after "Your Art in Game" but then "Enemy Design" was after that. Either way, I did want to design an enemy but it was all filled up.~

Edit 2: You can find my username "Jazzy Jinx" in the credits of HGH. Again, congrats on the enemy design and thank you for contributing such a generous amount to the Kickstarter!
Not being able to draw didn't stop some people. I think they all tried their hardest but some clearly weren't artists.

That reminds me I need to get my sketch framed. Just a cute shantae pic he did.

AJ Ferolie is mine, and I was happy to support that much, and any amount was a good amount. Sadly I cannot do that much again lol. I have a mortgage I need to pay now lol.

Boy howdy, congratulations there! Didn't expect to see a design contributor on here. Bit of a shame the initial Nikki variant of the design doesn't appear to have made the cut though.
They probably couldn't do it so simular to actual Nikki from swapnote. she is still cute.

Hey, as a warning for the future, if you have to explain anything about Shantae in a diffrent thread when the topic comes up, do so with facts and class and make sure not to throw around acusations or just generally anything that might make things go to a less positive discussions. Just getting this off my chest for reasons.
Did something happen?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We talked about Risky and Captain Syrup a while back, but what about the Pirate Master and the Shake King?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Seems Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be rated "Everyone 10+". So Shantae's Pirate Curse version would probably be the version they will use as her outfit. Unless WayForward designs an update of her outfit to meet that "E10+" rating.
Well I mean Pirate's Curse is the most suggestive in design, HGH is only T due to other stuff.

Also both games are rated B in Japan 12 and up.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The slimegal is clearly a very memorable enemy ! Well done ! And I'm actually very fond of the Hypno Baron's castle song which I find underrated and which always reminds me of them !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovMtEj2u8ck
I especially love the very medieval-ish instrument part from 1:30
I'm more partial to the spider-girls myself, a combination of liking the real-life animal, elegant design and being incredibly tough, yet surprisingly reserved. I wish Shantae's own spider transformation had more use.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, guys, if they were to add a second Shantae rep, who would you think/want it to be? Just a question I wanted to ask.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Say, guys, if they were to add a second Shantae rep, who would you think/want it to be? Just a question I wanted to ask.
I would clearly want Risky Boots : She would use her Pirate items while Shantae uses her usual powers. And it would fit the "tendency" of adding vilains in the roster ^^

zferolie

Smash Hero
The slimegal is clearly a very memorable enemy ! Well done ! And I'm actually very fond of the Hypno Baron's castle song which I find underrated and which always reminds me of them !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovMtEj2u8ck
I especially love the very medieval-ish instrument part from 1:30
I'm glad you liked her! and yeah that stage has some great music, and the game as a whole had a lot of good choices.

I'm more partial to the spider-girls myself, a combination of liking the real-life animal, elegant design and being incredibly tough, yet surprisingly reserved. I wish Shantae's own spider transformation had more use.
Spider girls and slime girls are my favorite. Arachne from smite is one of my favrite spider girl designs, and Shnatae's transformation is up there, as is the enemy. But yeah you rarely got to use her spider form, and you get the spider attack most likely last of all of them :(

Risky is the most likely, followed by Rottytops

Top Bottom