• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Earltamm has just been up to a bit of Shantae activism lol. Some threads are sensitive to character spots. the usual.
I only really said it because I saw Shantae was brought up again in another thread. When she was discussed in the Issac thread, there certainly was a lot of stumbling when it came to arguing for Shantae.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I only really said it because I saw Shantae was brought up again in another thread. When she was discussed in the Issac thread, there certainly was a lot of stumbling when it came to arguing for Shantae.
I know sometimes it's hard to ignore when someone says something we know better about. I feel ya.

♪You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done♪

(Not to say there's anything wrong with spreading stuff we know. I just think it's in the bag anyway ;p)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, the Shantae re-rate is gonna be the last character re-rated post direct alongside Dixie(I see what they did there). I look forward to it, I recall Shantae being a character that was rated early on.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well, the Shantae re-rate is gonna be the last character re-rated post direct alongside Dixie(I see what they did there). I look forward to it, I recall Shantae being a character that was rated early on.
Who's re-rating Shantae? I know Billybo already did, but who else is?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
re-rate?

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, was Konami quiet about Simon Belmont or any Smash discussion? I'm wondering if Nintendo sent them an NDA as it seems likely that WayForward is under one as well due to their silence.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, was Konami quiet about Simon Belmont or any Smash discussion? I'm wondering if Nintendo sent them an NDA as it seems likely that WayForward is under one as well due to their silence.
I think that will be a bit harder to determine, as I don't think Konami has ever been, well... the talkative types. I could be wrong though and they could be total chatter box's.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I think that will be a bit harder to determine, as I don't think Konami has ever been, well... the talkative types. I could be wrong though and they could be total chatter box's.
Yeah, I'm asking because WayForward was so vocal about Shantae being in Smash the last time and this time there's radio silence from them. So it made me wonder if other third parties were asked to do the same.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Yeah, I'm asking because WayForward was so vocal about Shantae being in Smash the last time and this time there's radio silence from them. So it made me wonder if other third parties were asked to do the same.
They likely were, NDA's are probably standard operating procedure, but when we talk about Matt and WF's odd silence. It's because it is out of character for them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Okay then. The new schedule just shows that Shantae is gonna get a secound rating day because of how SK was assist trophyed.

I feel like this means something, but I do't know exactly what.
Do Smashboard users rate that? I haven't really checked that thread out at all.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
wheres the thread? where in the thread was this re-rating of Shantae mentioned?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They rate what they think a character's chances are, and how much the people want the character. I have not really participated much, but I did voice my thoughts when they went through Geno's secound rating, which just so happened to be one of there most controversial rating days. Funnily enough, Geno is set to have a third rating day, due to how the situation has changed with so many popular picks happening.
wheres the thread? where in the thread was this re-rating of Shantae mentioned?
It's at the top of the boards, right along the rules of the forum as well as general newcomer discussion. They aren't rating her now, but they have announced when.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They rate what they think a character's chances are, and how much the people want the character. I have not really participated much, but I did voice my thoughts when they went through Geno's secound rating, which just so happened to be one of there most controversial rating days. Funnily enough, Geno is set to have a third rating day, due to how the situation has changed with so many popular picks happening.

It's at the top of the boards, right along the rules of the forum as well as general newcomer discussion. They aren't rating her now, but they have announced when.
Ok. Well if you think it's worth something, we can share the link when it comes time for Shantae. I don't know how it works but I'll check it out sometime to see what's going on there.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Do you think it's possible Nintendo wanted an exclusive advertisement with only their branding? That trailer only includes the Nintendo logo and links to the nintendo versions of HGH on the Switch and WiiU. The other trailer includes all console brand icons/links to buy.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Do you think it's possible Nintendo wanted an exclusive advertisement with only their branding? That trailer only includes the Nintendo logo and links to the nintendo versions of HGH on the Switch and WiiU. The other trailer includes all console brand icons/links to buy.
I've seen lots of Switch specific trailers, for like Mega Man games and stuff, but those usually get put on the official Nintendo YT,
And they never really change the video, only adding the Switch Logo thing at the front,

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Possibly. The question now is there reason for wanting that, and all the possible ideas that can explain it. It could be that Shantae is in Smash, but let's try to find every possibility so we don't run in blind.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I don't see anything when I look for it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Looking at the users viewing this thread and this is definitely the most activity I’ve seen in general. Let’s hope she makes it, then the numbers will double!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Btw, here is a link to when they started rating her the first time. It was a very early rating, before E3 in fact, but it is interesting to see what people though of Shantae back then and I figure we can learn from it. Her rating ended up getting a chance score of 14.71% and a want score of 43.94% . In comparison, SK got a chance score of 22.88% and a want score of 45.94%.
https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...-day-133-saber-fate-stay-night.453357/page-39

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if that has already been looked into, but has anyone analyzed Yacht Club's Twitter account pre- and post-Shovel Knight assist trophy announcement? Specifically, in terms of how much or how little they talked about Smash or responded to people asking them about SK in Smash.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Yacht Club have been more open about Smash, at the very least they've retweeted an article that wanted Shovel Knight in Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How do you search a particular twitter account for tweets with the words smash in it? If I knew that it'd be easier to check out lol.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. have to go to advanced search and know the User Name User Name of the account.

Addition: I checked because I was curious, and they did mention smash a few times in general, but didn't reply to people asking about Shovel Knight being in smash. (from what I checked) I checked from after the ballot ended, to the day before the last direct we had.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We talked about Risky and Captain Syrup a while back, but what about the Pirate Master and the Shake King?
They definitely are similar in that they are huge threats (which both happen to be pirates) that manage to encourage the protag and usual villain into making a temporary alliance, although the Shake King is much less interesting.

Say, guys, if they were to add a second Shantae rep, who would you think/want it to be? Just a question I wanted to ask.
Riskyyyyyyyyy!!!

Ahem, sorry, I always wanted to say that. Although I'd be okay with Rottytops too.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Say, guys, if they were to add a second Shantae rep, who would you think/want it to be? Just a question I wanted to ask.
Risky Boots would definitely be the logical choice if the heroes vs villains theme is anything to go off. And it wouldn’t be too far fetched either, considering Sakurai is an overachiever with smash. There’s probably like 10 characters we haven’t seen, and he’s just waiting to drop bomb after bomb in a Fifty fact extravaganza of sorts.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Definitely Risky. Those abilities from Pirate's Curse and her moves from her campaign in Half Genie Hero would make her a fun character in Smash. (Plus her vs. K. Rool would be a fun fight to see happen.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
About everyone would think Risky is the best secound rep. While the likes of Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops have been around for a long time, it was only recently that we really got to see them in action, and they all don't have a big moveset by themselves.

Calane

Smash Ace
I hate to be a bother, but I'd like to be added too. I believe I asked a few pages back, but I don't recall how many.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Wow, Shantae's supporters shot up within the past couple days

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So. I've been really trying to play devil's advocate on why WF and Matt would be quiet about smash.

I don't want us to all suffer from confirmation bias or anything.

My problem is I can't think of any legit/ business sound/ legal reason other then an NDA to explain the silence.
Yeah, This has always been my thought too. Even Yacht Club Games liked a tweet linking to a top ten that had Shovel Knight in it. WF have done nothing. I can see them not referencing Smash directly, but Liking posts for Shantae in Smash is something I would have expected regardless.

Top Bottom