• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since we do now know that Sakurai is looking at the ballot for results, we can assume that Shantae is a likely addition of she did well. Do we have any idea on on how she did on the original ballot?
Yes. there's the spreadsheet winged just shared, and..
This is image is close to what's in it:
https://i.redd.it/stdxc741aog11.png

Oh nvermind, didn't see you posted the image too.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
About the ballot, I'm just curious : Did you guys vote for her back in the day or did you get familiar with her prior to the ballot ? I'll admit that I didn't really know her and was focused on voting Daisy haha
Also, was she mentioned in smash thrads all lot already ?
I first learned about her way back as a 12 year old kid in an issue of Nintendo Power and I thought her games looked cool. I never really learned much about her series though until Smash 4 was in full swing and she was brought to my attention by videos on YouTube.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unfortunately there's no real way to know for sure, but there was a decent look at how the more dedicated fans of Smash voted:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
Keep in mind that's a very rough estimate, but she did place 11th overall and she's currently 5th out of the remaining characters.
Technically, she was 10th if you consider the whole thing about Bayonetta already being developed when the ballot just started.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About the ballot, I'm just curious : Did you guys vote for her back in the day or did you get familiar with her prior to the ballot ? I'll admit that I didn't really know her and was focused on voting Daisy haha
Still wanted to get the games, but I voted for her anyway.

Also, I learned of her via Nintendo Power back in the day, when mom didn't allow me to have portables.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Unfortunately there's no real way to know for sure, but there was a decent look at how the more dedicated fans of Smash voted:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
Keep in mind that's a very rough estimate, but she did place 11th overall and she's currently 5th out of the remaining characters.
Looks like she did fairly well and she has a really good chance since Sakurai is pulling from the Ballot. Shantae would be much easier to get than Banjo-Kazooie and possibly Geno.

My prediction is that if she isn't in the base roster, she will be a DLC character, unless she's deconfirmed by being an assist (which I don't think is likely).

Last edited:

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
Pirate's Curse was my foray into the series! I remembered being curious about it as I only knew of her from hearsay and friends who played the original, so I figured I'd give PC a try when it first released. Naturally I voted for her in the Ballot later on. :D

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I voted for Shantae in the ballot. I proooobably would have voted Bayo but didn't think she'd have a chance. I have no regrets and will vote Shantae any time they do a ballot til she makes it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, Nintendo would get so much good publicity from having Shantae in Smash. They are already well like among the indie scene, but having an indie in Smash would propel that even further. Even more reason for them to try and keep this a big secret.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I actually didn't know about Shantae until a Let's Player I follow did a LP of Half-Genie Hero. I downloaded it on the Switch soon after and I'm hooked. She's quickly become one of my new favorites.

Are any of her older games on the 3DS e-shop? I need to check those out.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I actually didn't know about Shantae until a Let's Player I follow did a LP of Half-Genie Hero. I downloaded it on the Switch soon after and I'm hooked. She's quickly become one of my new favorites.

Yes, Pirate's Curse was a big hit on the 3DS eshop, and it has the game I started with. Risky's Revenge was re-released on Steam, so that is right now the best place to get that game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The entirety of the old trilogy is available to buy on the e-shop, including Risky's Revenge (like all DSi games).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I :ultgreninja:'d you on accident. Sorry :psycho:
S'ok, I'm a lazy Ninja sometimes ;p

Looks like she did fairly well and she has a really good chance since Sakurai is pulling from the Ballot. Shantae would be much easier to get than Banjo-Kazooie and possibly Geno.

My prediction is that if she isn't in the base roster, she will be a DLC character, unless she's deconfirmed by being an assist (which I don't think is likely).
I think Geno has some high chances now that SquareEnix is on board of smash. I don't think there's that high for Banjo though.
Geno isn't one of my top picks at all. But I legit think he's got high chances, and is still a nostalic pick I'd enjoy seeing.

DLC is always possible for a lot of them. It wouldn't surprise me that we get more dlc this time around, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
You know, Nintendo would get so much good publicity from having Shantae in Smash. They are already well like among the indie scene, but having an indie in Smash would propel that even further. Even more reason for them to try and keep this a big secret.
Honestly, I feel like the less a character appears in leaks the better their chances in some regards. Shantae is a character with a big possibility, but everyone around this site and elsewhere is writing her off because Shovel Knight was already confirmed as an assist. They think it'd be Shovel Knight by himself, both of them in together, or neither of them. It's not even registering as a possibility in their minds and that's honestly a big clue as to how you can tell a fake leak apart from the real ones: they take no risks. The Smash community has never been 100% correct when it comes to speculation, and it's because they always try to play the odds. Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, Game and Watch, and Cloud are just a few of the characters that have thrown everyone for a loop, and it's because nobody thought they had a realistic shot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I feel like the less a character appears in leaks the better their chances in some regards. Shantae is a character with a big possibility, but everyone around this site and elsewhere is writing her off because Shovel Knight was already confirmed as an assist. They think it'd be Shovel Knight by himself, both of them in together, or neither of them. It's not even registering as a possibility in their minds and that's honestly a big clue as to how you can tell a fake leak apart from the real ones: they take no risks. The Smash community has never been 100% correct when it comes to speculation, and it's because they always try to play the odds. Duck Hunt Dog, Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, Game and Watch, and Cloud are just a few of the characters that have thrown everyone for a loop, and it's because nobody thought they had a realistic shot.
It's pretty telling that Arcadenik Arcadenik has been the only one on here who believed that the Duck Hunt dog could be viable. Most people try to be realistic about who can make it, only for Sakurai to take them for a loop, every time.

Hell, ProfessorFandango has been bringing up some pretty out-there character possibilities, and even he thinks some of those don't seem likely. Sure enough, he was caught completely off-guard after the Direct, seeing as he didn't even consider drawing Simon.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To me it's simple on that front. A character is a big investment. Would you really invest that much in 2 indie characters, or just one?
If you're nintendo, which one do you go for, the one that's a longer franchise and is known all around, or the new one that hasn't made it to japan yet? (around the time of the ballot).

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Mark me down as a supporter. I was very much for Shovel Knight as an indie rep back in the day, and while I've never played a Shantae game, from what I have seen she has a great personality and design for Smash. Plus, an indie character making it into Smash would be huge for indie games as a whole, even moreso than the Shovel Knight AT.

Let's go out on a limb and assume that that polling data is accurate, the top 10 characters who are still neither confirmed or deconfirmed are:

- Isaac
- Banjo & Kazooie
- Bandana Dee
- Paper Mario
- Shantae
- Geno
- Magolor
- Dixie Kong
- Wonder Red
- Rayman

I'm estimating we have 3-4 (maybe 5) unique newcomers still to go, so hopefully most if not all of them are from the list above.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well, I always did support Shantae, but gotta admit I didn't go full force into my support for her until my number 1 indie was confirmed to be an assist trophy. Now I'm supporting Shantae 100% let's hope that her history with nintendo will help her succeed where Shovel Knight failed.

edit: also a little surprised that I'm no where to be seen on the support list lol. I threw in my support on page 1 XD

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mark me down as a supporter. I was very much for Shovel Knight as an indie rep back in the day, and while I've never played a Shantae game, from what I have seen she has a great personality and design for Smash. Plus, an indie character making it into Smash would be huge for indie games as a whole, even moreso than the Shovel Knight AT.

Let's go out on a limb and assume that that polling data is accurate, the top 10 characters who are still neither confirmed or deconfirmed are:

- Isaac
- Banjo & Kazooie
- Bandana Dee
- Paper Mario
- Shantae
- Geno
- Magolor
- Dixie Kong
- Wonder Red
- Rayman

I'm estimating we have 3-4 (maybe 5) unique newcomers still to go, so hopefully most if not all of them are from the list above.
I'm not saying paper mario wouldn't make it in, but I feel like that's a little unlikely, to have one more mario. I don't think Banjo will be in because of microsoft (but again, still possible), that leaves for the 4 top spots:
1-Isaac
2-Bandana Dee
3-Shantae
4-Geno

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Shantae was my second character I wanted in Smash(first being Palutena and man that was event that showed her off in anime form great) so if I am not on the list then make sure to put my name on the Shantae support category.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying paper mario wouldn't make it in, but I feel like that's a little unlikely, to have one more mario. I don't think Banjo will be in because of microsoft (but again, still possible), that leaves for the 4 top spots:
1-Isaac
2-Bandana Dee
3-Shantae
4-Geno
To be fair, we have three Links and three Samuses and four Marths already. As for Banjo, I don't think Microsoft would be that much of an issue, especially if Verg's Minecraft rumors end up being true. But I think both characters have better chances for DLC. Shantae I could see going either way.

It all depends on how much importance Sakurai places on indies, because she clearly has the fan following.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've also seen people concerned about CERO's strict rating on sex and nudity and fear the game would be rated too highly in Japan with Shantae

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I've also seen people concerned about CERO's strict rating on sex and nudity and fear the game would be rated too highly in Japan with Shantae
ZSS alt outfits and Bayonett's outfit stripping away during a smash attack disagrees with that.
Not to mention HGH was rated B while Bayonetta's games are rated D.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think WF would be fine adjusting the clothes a bit for Smash.

Also, I think Nintendo would know that Paper Mario was voted for a lot probably due to its re-release in 2015 on VC. I don't see that many people still talking about wanting paper mario. Could be wrong.

In whatever cases I think Shantae's in a pretty good spot.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Didn’t they adjust her clothes a bit? Same with female Corrin and Palutena. A few tweaks here and there in Shantae’s outfit should do the trick too, I’d reckon.
Yeah, I don't see how that will be a problem for Shantae when you can literally see Palutena's underwear (and you could see Peach's back in Melee). And Bayonetta is a risque character from an M rated game. Shantae shouldn't be a problem.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some of Shantae's images are pretty 'risky', but the game sprites are fine.
It really depends what kind of graphics are used with her too.

Do you think she'd be Cell shaded?

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Some of Shantae's images are pretty 'risky', but the game sprites are fine.
It really depends what kind of graphics are used with her too.

Do you think she'd be Cell shaded?
I've debated this. I think a good way they could implement her is as a 3D model with a cartoon shader that makes her look 2D (not like G&W who is actually 2D). I think that would emulate her look pretty accurately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom