• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown (October 12-13, 2013) - Feedback please! Next major Santasmash!

KJ64 allows in the Melee Doubles ruleset?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Re: Aggression in brawl.

It means being good enough with your character to always apply pressure and to capitalise on situations that your pressure produces.
It means knowing the match up. It means being good with your character. It means being good to very good with all fundamentals.

It is a lot easier to be defensive and capitalise on things which are 'bread and butter' for your character because you assume your opponent will make the mistake that you can capitalise on.
Like, lol I'll just do this quadra buffered spot dodge or hold shield for an hour, what are they going to do right? Then glorious dancing blade time.

But good players are good enough with their characters to not make mistakes unless you force them to.
We're all very bad.

Australian brawl players playing aggressively will be bad. But we can try. Players will be more aggressive when they don't have to fear things like double downsmash from MK killing them =)

Every action by a character can be made safe in Brawl. Nothing is safe in Brawl. The conundrum of oxymoronic despair!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
it's hard to say where brawl will go when the new smash comes out.

but... attendance for the game is... actually growing. i wouldn't be surprised if it hangs around. we need to get around the crt problem though.
Wow, never knew. That sounds really awesome.

Whether or not Brawl goes on or dies, I think we should just make the most of what we've got. I'm certainly always gonna try my hardest to do the best I can and with any luck i'll place as well/better when I come down again. I reckon anyone passionate enough for the game can do this and I reckon it'll contribute to our regions being better and our country as a whole being better.

I know quite a lot of young players who are in the scene who are really coming up the fast track and are trying to do their best, like BC, Nikes, Nido, Waveguider, Luxingo, Jamwa, etc. We've plenty of brand new players like V, Penguin, Surprise and so on to keep that going and our oldies that keep playing on (Shaya, Attila, Tibs, Ledge, Batmans, Allens, etc.)... for their sake I hope this will be our best tournament yet and that with any luck we'll keep Brawl going because for all the trash talk it gets, Brawl was what introduced me to competitive smash and competitive gaming generally and i'll never forget what it's done for me and what it will help me with in the future.

Wow, didn't expect ^ THAT to come out from nowhere. Ah well, might as well just leave it there.

You guys are so good. :)

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Shayyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
when is the next time you're in mleburn, I need to beat the marth

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
So, I just found this thread 'cause I'm good at forums and stuffs. Will probably come to this, looks awesome =D

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
A heads up to the community: I would like to relinquish this thread and my responsibilities and hand it over to Attila. Shaya, please do your front post magic trick).

I no longer have the time required to organise the event and moreover, my priorities have changed. I'm much more invested in my career and my studies these days and I know that SS2K13 will take hundreds of hours to meet community expectations. I don't think tournaments get big just because I happen to run it; the time investment required to rally the community and build hype is exhausting.

Hopefully, I'll be able to attend SS2K13 as a participant (if not overridden by work or study commitments), but that in itself is uncertain.

Peace,
Cao

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Obviously sad to see Cao step down, but it's perfectly understandable, and we should all wish him the best. At the same time, he's not going anywhere <3

That being said, I'd like to see someone from the melee community step up and volunteer their services.

Attila_

BRoomer
I wasnt going to volunteer you SD, but you seem like most logical candidate. Despite living on the other side of the world.

Unless Dekar wanted to step up...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
SD when do you fly back? :o ^_^

Attila, do you have any idea what the stage list might be? Atm i'm looking to have my ruleset the same as the tournament's. ^_^

Attila_

BRoomer
nothing on the ruleset is confirmed at this point.

although i'd expect that we'd continue status quo with a fairly conservative ruleset. no cs or frigate bs.

delphino... maybe. we'll see.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
how about only smashville
I could agree to that....

But seriously - I dunno if it makes a difference but personally I feel as though Delfino would be good to keep. I dunno maybe I just love that stage. It also keeps da ice climbers at bay. :p

But yea MK. Hmmmmmmm....

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I dunno, Smashville is pretty good at keeping the ICs at bay. Just ask EA =D

Attila_

BRoomer
The thing about delphino is that it is:

1. The only stage with walk offs
2. The only stage with water

Both change things really considerably.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
The thing about delphino is that it is:

1. The only stage with walk offs
2. The only stage with water

Both change things really considerably.
1. Everyone just camps during the walk off transformations so it doesn't really effect much (just like ps1 transformations)
2. There is only 1 transformation where water is an issue. Therefore about 20-30 seconds in a match people may have to worry about water.

In summary, I vote yes for defino :-)

Attila_

BRoomer
1. Everyone just camps during the walk off transformations so it doesn't really effect much (just like ps1 transformations)
2. There is only 1 transformation where water is an issue. Therefore about 20-30 seconds in a match people may have to worry about water.

In summary, I vote yes for defino :-)
This is why discussion is important.

One thing about camping the walkoff - if i am using someone other than metaknight, it is critical that i maintain control of the middle. if i don't then i am forced offstage/ledge when the stage rises. this is an automatic disadvantage for the entire cast.

But also, the followups and gimp potential that walk offs create are game breaking, and form the sole reason that cs is banned.

The pillar transformation has water, and has a crazy amount of ledges. this gives characters with amazing ledge options a crazy advantage, and promotes stalling. the water itself completely ruins certain characters recoveries, also (oli, marth, etc).

the comparison of stalling tranformations like in ps1 is also invalid. the stages essentially get 'split in half' on ps1, which in itself, makes avoiding the other player much easier. but on delphino, the walkoffs making approaching even easier, so it becomes incredibly easy for an aggressive player using the right character to pressure for a gimp.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Actually, just to point out, there are 3 transformations where water is a serious issue, and a fourth where I suppose it could be used offensively if someone decided to be in a certain place. I'm thinking of:

1. The high-tide island transformation
2. The low-tide island transformation
3. The pillar transformation

and the fourth semi one is the Villa boat area transformation, where there's some deep water on the very left side of the stage.

That said I still love Delfino.

Personally I feel like some characters can stay more or less aerial during the walk-off transformations. In fact there's only one of them to my knowledge where you can't be safe anywhere on the ground and thus have to resort to air - because the other 3 have pits/raised areas you can kinda stick around at worst.

I think Delfino works nicely as a counter stage because the walk-offs are definably in short time spans. I can't think of a recent match i've had where walk-offs have been such a big issue for me except for the rare grab someone ---> throw offscreen and even that's pretty rare. I suppose it could be used offensively but... hm...

I dunno. Feel like it's kinda ok - I suppose you could ban/strike it in a set if worst came to worst?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
From the general gist of Murica', CS is still legal.
The same groups have Halberd, Frigate and Delfino banned.

Honestly, the argument that CS should be illegal due to it's walk off is really shallow. Do you know how many viable characters can actually do something with that walk off? Are you going to argue that because ICs can fthrow cg (which is just so slightly easier than them just properly 0-deathing you) that CS should be banned? Are people still so scared/anal about Dedede? Like... really? This is 2013 and Dedede is going to be the reason a stage should be illegal?

You know what situation comes up a lot more often (probably once every 3 to 4 games played competitively world wide) that actually is insanely frustrating? Smashville platform being off stage against Meta Knight. Freely able to shuttle loop gimp attempt from below it, auto cancels on the platform into a ff dair/nair or easy ledge grab. It's basically a walk off situation that MK can abuse on the most (or second most) commonly played stage in the game every 15 seconds against every character in the game.

Zoning walk off areas is a bit stale, I agree. But so is MK zoning a smashville platform. The walk offs on delfino are really meagre, but is an agreeable tick box coupled with water transitions (an addition of mechanics not readily practised/procured in the competitive scene) and sharking. Low percent deaths during stage transitions is awkward-ish too.

I don't know why Australia hates Castle Siege... It's so weird to me, haha.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I reckon either one of CS or DP would be a good addition, because they're pretty much the only other stages that have some sort of motion other than SV/PS1 (but PS1 doesn't really move as much as add obstacles).
I don't care about the GR disadvantage Lucas has on those stages, because gameplay is more dynamic and that's what you want.
Would CP D43n to Castle Siege.

Top Bottom