• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 14, 2014] Smash Weekend @ Gamers Room: Project M & Melee (Concord, NC)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE:

Hey guys so the Gamers Room venue was having trouble with scheduling conflicts on Saturdays. For example there was a birthday party scheduled on the 13th and for us to still have the tournament that day I would have to push the time up to 4PM and you all would not be able to come in early. This of course would mean the event would more then likely end very late, setups would be leaving early as their owners do, and I just don't think that's fair to you all.

So to fix this issue I have pushed the tournament to the following day (Sunday the 14th) From now on we will also be doing our tournaments on Sundays since the venue owner has given me his word that he won't schedule anything on those days from now on. He has also opened up the opportunity for me to host it bi-weekly as well on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, but for this month at least I'll stick to one.

I'm very sorry if this is any inconvenience to you. However, I think last time we had our event on a Sunday it went pretty well and that was with us at 1/2 efficiency. If you cannot make it on Sunday I know of another event in Chapel Hill (UNC Fall Smashfest) that I may be going to. Again sorry if this is any inconvenience but hopefully with the new day no more scheduling conflicts will happen. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

What's up guys back again promoting our next monthly tournament at the Gamers Room in Concord, NC. Last time you all blew my expectations out of the water with 41 entrants!!! That is huge, almost double the previous months turnout. Even with the reschedule I was truly amazed at the turnout thank you all so much!

So before anything lets congratulate our finalists. (Pictures will be put up later)

Project M:
1st-Boss
2nd-Lucky Wind
3rd-Chrome
TO-SoulOfSmash

Melee:
1st-Boss
2nd-Peter
3rd-Lucky Wind

Smash 64:
1st-Uncle Monty
2nd-Boss
3rd-Oh G

Smashboards Rankings:

Brackets have been posted to the rankings here on Smashboards and are right now still going through the approval process. Links to each of the brackets can be found below be sure to go on there and claim your place and get your points to be added into the rankings.

YouTube Channel:

Matches from this past tournament are now up. Admittedly, the quality and commentary is a bit lacking in my opinion. However, this was our first attempt so it can only get better in time. Also, next time I should have my new computer and a duel commentary setup. Click the thumbnail below to go right to the playlist.

Stage Selection:

For this next event I will be adopting and testing the new stage selection list proposed by TKBreezy and SOJ. More information can be found by clicking the image below, but pretty much the long and short of it is we're cutting down all the available and viable stages down to 10! From a person that loves a lot of stage variety I'm not the biggest fan of this. However, as a TO and a player this is excellent from a competitive stand point. Also, having a legal Metroid stage tickles my fanboy bone in just the right way! :D

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Green Hill Zone
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Battlefield
-Dreamland 64

Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc.
-Final Destination
-Norfair (New and Improved!)
-Yoshi's Story

Red-Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Everything on Page 2
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Rainbow Cruise and you agreed to it.

Character Model/Texture Hacks:

Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Now, previously I have been completely against model hacks of any kind. However, seeing all these new alternate costumes coming out in the next update I don't think it's out of the question to throw a few in just for fun. Of course, nothing too extreme only changes that are more of an extension of the character themselves. For example this is my personal Galacta Knight over Meta Knight and Wii R.O.B. skins.

Music:
I love having custom music over my stages. For example one of my favorites is City Escape, a track that should have been in the game to begin with. If you have any requests for stage music just let me know and I will put it on.

50% Off Venue Fee Special:
For the first 8 people that contact me and are willing to bring a CRT and Wii w/ PM will get 50% off the venue fee. CRTs need to be at least 16 inch and Wii should be up to date with the most recent PM build. You can bring Gamecubes as well but since the Wii can play both PM and Melee its more ideal.

Setups confirmed so far: 1/8
-Nevermind

Active Tournaments:

Project M Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$5-Tournament

Melee Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$5-Tournament Fee

Also, a small change, because we will be starting sooner and have more time to work with all finals matches (Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals) will be best 3/5. Every other bracket match will still be 2/3.

Possible Tournaments:
Project M and Melee are the biggest turnouts but we usually have a side event I have the players vote on. So far, we have had a Brawl, Smash 64, and PM Teams tournament.

Brawl Singles
1 Stock or 3 Stock
Single or Double Elimination

Smash 64
5 Stock

Project M, Melee, or Brawl Doubles

Money Matches
Of course, any and all money matches you guys are willing to have on any of the games, but that's all on you. You don't have to give me heads up on these just come out and do them.

Payout:
1st-60%
2nd-30%
3rd-10%

I really appreciate the turnout we had and am looking forward to next month as much as you guys are. If you are in the Charlotte/Concord or even NC area in general I hope we will soon be the place to go for competitive smash. Let's make it happen guys. If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smashboards, follow Gamer's Room on
Facebook or Twitter, or check out our website.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Hey man sorry I couldn't end up going :(:( I really that I would be able to but something important came up the night before. Also, about the texture hacks, would having a Lucina skin over Marth be okay? Also I would like to know if having Marth's voice replaced with Lucina's is ok. I also can't wait for the tournament on the 28th that PPMD will be going to, grinding everyday for that.

pluto

Smash Cadet
definitely making the drive out again. if anyone is looking for a way to get into the scene this is a great place to start. everyone is super friendly and there are always plenty of setups for friendlies/practice. great community. can't wait!

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
So hyped for the tournament two weeks from now. I wonder if Boss will be going to the next one as well? Can't wait to fight LuckyWind too to see how far my Marth has come. I feel like I understand Marth a lot more since the last time I went to the tournament. Also, if I go against Chrome again, I'm gonna pull out that 90:10 Sheik matchup ;) Here is to hoping for even more entrants then we had last time :D Well now I'm gonna go study Boss's Marth vs LuckyWind's Marth for the next 24 hours so yeah. :)

Last edited:

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
okay we're NOT going to be late this time so we can actually play

we're gunna wreck it 4 real

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
For anyone interested I made my build of Project M available to download. This is for the Homebrew version, includes TKBreezy and Soj's new stage selection changes, all my personal texture/model mods, and music. Click HERE to download and simply place all the files in the root of your SD card. Included is a text document with all my changes, but if your interested click HERE to see the pastebin. Enjoy!

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
For anyone interested I made my build of Project M available to download. This is for the Homebrew version, includes TKBreezy and Soj's new stage selection changes, all my personal texture/model mods, and music. Click HERE to download and simply place all the files in the root of your SD card. Included is a text document with all my changes, but if your interested click HERE to see the pastebin. Enjoy!
Also SoulOfSmash your profile says you are a Samus main in PM but in the recordings you go Meta Knight. I also see that Mewtwo wonder if there is a reason for that (need my Kappa right here :( ) I see you :troll: :i6rkW:

EDIT: Just watched your Mewtwo get 4 stocked :troll: Inb4 Johns ;)

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
50% Off Venue Fee Special:
For the first 8 people that contact me and are willing to bring a CRT and Wii w/ PM will get 50% off the venue fee. CRTs need to be at least 16 inch and Wii should be up to date with the most recent PM build. You can bring Gamecubes as well but since the Wii can play both PM and Melee its more ideal.

Setups confirmed so far: 1/8
-Nevermind

Had to run this by the venue owner first so here we go now. Just message me and send me a pic of your setup I don't want any tiny little TVs, that being said nothing too big either. 16-20 inches is generally the ideal size. Thanks guys, and I am working on getting some to be at the Gamers Room permanently.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Speaking of improving the tourney, what are the plans when it comes to recording this one? The last set of vids is really hard to watch since is running at maybe 10fps and skips occassionally. Also, could you try to do something that allows a duo commentary setup? If you need another headset and mic, I could bring mine.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of improving the tourney, what are the plans when it comes to recording this one? The last set of vids is really hard to watch since is running at maybe 10fps and skips occassionally. Also, could you try to do something that allows a duo commentary setup? If you need another headset and mic, I could bring mine.
FOO

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
"next time I should have my new computer and a duel commentary setup. "

Yeah i was using my laptop which isn't the best but this time i should have my new desktop. I would appreciate it if you could bring another headset so i dont gota worry about getting another one for next week.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman

Yeah i was using my laptop which isn't the best but this time i should have my new desktop. I would appreciate it if you could bring another headset so i dont gota worry about getting another one for next week.
I WATCH THIS THREAD LIKE A STALKER..... HI SOULOFSMASH (Kappa)

Foo

Smash Lord
whoops,

My bad, didn't read the whole op. Glad to see that the casting situation will be better! I'll bring my headset, I'm not sure the audio quality is the best, but it's certainly not bad. Since people seemed to like my casting, I'll try to spend a lot of time on the casting bench, especially if I get knocked out early enough. Oh, one other really small request. Is there any chance you could move the ZSS skin on your PM to another color? I miss my green ZSS :(

@Sword Sup man :) I've improved a lot since we last played as well. I actually have tech skill now! lol. Looking forward to playing you again. We'll def at least do a friendly.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
whoops,

My bad, didn't read the whole op. Glad to see that the casting situation will be better! I'll bring my headset, I'm not sure the audio quality is the best, but it's certainly not bad. Since people seemed to like my casting, I'll try to spend a lot of time on the casting bench, especially if I get knocked out early enough. Oh, one other really small request. Is there any chance you could move the ZSS skin on your PM to another color? I miss my green ZSS :(

@Sword Sup man :) I've improved a lot since we last played as well. I actually have tech skill now! lol. Looking forward to playing you again. We'll def at least do a friendly.
Already moved it to the Pink ZSS texture the Green one is available for you man :) Also thanks I really appreciate the help.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
whoops,

I would like to think I have gotten a lot better as well ;) Marth I think has def. improved and who know I may just go some 20XX ;)

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
guess the turnout just got smaller.....cause imma show up and wreck everyone who tries to win money >=]

also,do something about the laggy T.V's......
Boss, I would come up with some clever retort... But you gave me a good laugh almost 4 stocking Luckywind in a Marth ditto :chuckle: Can't wait to MM you man. And to beat you in tournament ;) Also, are you gonna keep on goin to these? Didn't know you were from NC lol or are you just in the area for a while? Also we are getting CRT setups so don't worry :D

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Also @ SoulOfSmash SoulOfSmash are you gonna want me to bring my recording stuff to livestream (preferably Melee, it just records better then my PM for some reason), I actually know 100% that I will be going this weekend without anything getting in the way this time :/ I can't wait till I turn 16 and can drive by myself :( CURSE ME BEING 14

EDIT: Also you never said anything about whether or not if a Lucina skin over Green Marth is OK in Project M and if having Marth's voice being replaced by Lucina's is okay as well. Also on my PM I have the hack pack music made my Keitaro, it sounds supa sexy.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
guess the turnout just got smaller.....cause imma show up and wreck everyone who tries to win money >=]

Do you remember the TV that Smash64 was on? If so that one will be what PM is played on this time. Also I finally convinced the owner to let me offer $5 off the venue fee for the first 8 people that bring a CRT and Wii/Gamecube setup so that should definitely help get some better TVs.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE:

Hey guys so the Gamers Room venue was having trouble with scheduling conflicts on Saturdays. For example there was a birthday party scheduled on the 13th and for us to still have the tournament that day I would have to push the time up to 4PM and you all would not be able to come in early. This of course would mean the event would more then likely end very late, setups would be leaving early as their owners do, and I just don't think that's fair to you all.

So to fix this issue I have pushed the tournament to the following day (Sunday the 14th) From now on we will also be doing our tournaments on Sundays since the venue owner has given me his word that he won't schedule anything on those days from now on. He has also opened up the opportunity for me to host it bi-monthly as well on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, but for this month at least I'll stick to one.

I'm very sorry if this is any inconvenience to you. However, I think last time we had our event on a Sunday it went pretty well and that was with us at 1/2 efficiency. If you cannot make it on Sunday I know of another event in Chapel Hill (UNC Fall Smashfest) that I may be going to. Again sorry if this is any inconvenience but hopefully with the new day no more scheduling conflicts will happen. Thanks!

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Ugh, try and get the word out for the reschedules out sooner next time. Now I may not be able to come >.> I'll try my best, but we'll see what happens.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
The problem I see with this new info is that this might make some people not be able to come due to going to Church. But you can't delay it either because of school the next day. It is a double edged sword :( I think I should still be able to come, I will ask.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
The problem I see with this new info is that this might make some people not be able to come due to going to Church. But you can't delay it either because of school the next day. It is a double edged sword :( IMO I would prefer just being there at 4 on Saturday but I have no power over that lol. I think I should still be able to come, I will ask.

EDIT: Disregard my post right before this XD

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE:

So to fix this issue I have pushed the tournament to the following day (Sunday the 14th) From now on we will also be doing our tournaments on Sundays since the venue owner has given me his word that he won't schedule anything on those days from now on. He has also opened up the opportunity for me to host it bi-weekly as well on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, but for this month at least I'll stick to one.

Don't ya mean bimonthly?

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, try and get the word out for the reschedules out sooner next time. Now I may not be able to come >.> I'll try my best, but we'll see what happens.
yeah i know man im sorry i only found out like friday and he tried to work with the people and push them to Sunday instead but they didnt want to im sorry

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell

im gonna wreck u so u come to events with better ppl from NC instead of sniping these concord events

boss8

Smash Hero
LOOL none of u guys can wreck me....im boss....

i literally screamed MONEY MATCH!!!!!! IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS VENUE....

AND NO ONE WANTED TO FIGHT ME....LOOOL FREEDOM!!!!!

tell u what guys....i'll give u 2 to 4 stock odds.......xD and if u win i'll give u 5 bucks,if i win you only have to give me a dollar....

Top Bottom