• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I will be attending the A.S. Tech Meeting tomorrow to try to convince them to get them from Domino's. We will also be having Mexi-Coke so look forward to that. :) Dante still needs to add "California" after "Isla Vista," in the tournament thread.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna add that. it's unnecessary. the word adjacent means "right next to". Ucsb is in california. therefore iv is in california. This isn't up for debate either.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Does anyone want to make the entry fee $2 for the Anime Club Tournament? Also I was thinking we have a separate $5 bracket for the people that are baller enough to play for $5 so SLO can come (the $5 tournament does not necessary have to be at the Anime Club Tournament or a future LAN Party, it can even be at SBCC Gamefest also), but we should have a tournament with all members of SLO in full force nonetheless in the future, hopefully with Lovage as well. :)

∫unk

Smash Master
Brawl ruleset/stagelist needs to be changed imo

People just want to play smash, so the focus should try to be to get as many setups as you can so you can have some dedicated friendly setups. This is way more important than the ruleset, stagelist, or seeding.

I think you should have smaller pools of 3-4 with everyone making it out. You play for seeding in the bracket. Pools are seeded based on whatever you think is correct... it won't matter too much.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Excellent suggestion Jun.

Set Ups:

Melee:
Dante
Caleb
David
Cape

Brawl:
Jun
Eric
Bright
John

I can run pools for both games when I'm not playing my pools (probably not both at once). I can run Brawl pools when I'm not in my Melee pools. :)

CableCho57

Smash Lord
that actually sounds like a really good idea jun.
The only problem I can think of are lack of setups which hopefully wont be a problem
and as long as dante is cool with it too

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Warm up / practice Smashfest at Camuesa House at 3 PM this Friday. Dante should put this in the OP but he has not. :(

Set Ups:

Melee:
Dante
Caleb
David Martin Chao
Cape
David Mendez

Brawl:
Jun
Eric
Bright
John
This new guy

Dante will not be cool with this since this lowers his chances of running crews. Crews should be the last thing in terms of priority. There is also an inconsistency in his logic regarding attracting new players. He wants to attract new players by having a low entry fee yet he does not want new players to be in his crew battles as evidence by

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11614109&postcount=762

Also Dante's last two LPTs would have had more entrants if he made this:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=171496656201691

Way to step it up John. John for Head Master Smash Tournament Organizer at the Winter LAN Party. Even Scizor agree. :212:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'm fine with that if we have enough time. Running pools and then a full double elim. bracket seems like it would take more time, but if we have a low tournout then sure why not. also depending on how many teams enter I'm thinking of doing a full-on round robin tournament for the teams tourney. every team plays every other team.

also huy please stop trying to make every one of your opinions out to be fact, where if I disagree with you it's an "inconsistency in my logic." it's not, it's just that I don't agree with you. simple as that.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Everyone go to Domino's website and tell me your favorite toppings. We are voting for toppings right now. The A.S. Tech Committee meeting is taking opinions on pizza. :) Also I know some people who can bring TVs but they cannot carry it so they need a ride. In other words, they are only willing to bring their full set up if we give them rides without charging them gas money. I actually pushed for a round robin teams tournament back since Andrew's tournament at SB but no one would listen to me.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I was thinking of having everyone make out of pools and make each pool have people of similar skill level. So my pool would have Dante, Anthony, Joe, etc. This way, if I win all 3 sets against Dante, the score will be 4-3 in my favor. Also Joe is bringing a recorder. Who can bring flash drives? :confused:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
you're not the one running the tournament huy. ;]

besides if you really want a chance at evening out the sets, just challenge me to a money match.

also technically we could play three sets:

one in pools

one in winners bracket

and one in either losers bracket or grand finals.

I'll be sure to seed us together so that we're guaranteed to play each other.

Stev

Smash Ace
you're not the one running the tournament huy. ;]

besides if you really want a chance at evening out the sets, just challenge me to a money match.

also technically we could play three sets:

one in pools

one in winners bracket

and one in either losers bracket or grand finals.

I'll be sure to seed us together so that we're guaranteed to play each other.
1st round perhaps?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
MMing a person whom you will play or have played in tournament is redundant. MMs are only used to play someone seriously whom you never get to play in tournament. Seeding in pools should be used to group players of similar skill level together. The fact that we should be grouped together is based on our similar skill. The evening set thing is just a side effect that results from that objective. Hypothetically if I was behind in sets along with the fact that our skill gap is too large, I wouldn't want us to be in the same pool for the purpose of seeding. Playing each other in first round bracket would have the following implications that detract competitiveness and seeding:

1. The set is only best of 3.

2. Other lower skilled players will have byes but not us.

Also who can bring a flash drive? I'm not sending Dante (or potentially) 25 files of videos through AIM again since it lags too much. The player who brings the flash drive should agree should agree to give it to the uploader for a certain amount of time to upload. Also I may consider going all :jigglypuff: in singles and doubles through this tournament for Melee. Is Brawl having any recording set ups? Also you don't need to seed us together in bracket to have us "guaranteed" to play each other. This only needs to be done in pools. I didn't drop a single set at the last LPT so you can be sure that we will play each other as long as you do not lose a set. Also does anyone think mushroom is a bad topping to have for pizza?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
hey man I just thought you wanted to play me in three sets. if you don't care that much, then I don't either. I'm fine with beating you once lol. >: )

I'll try to remember to bring my flash drive.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Actually playing Dante in 3 sets on Saturday isn't really important to me either. I'll catch up in sets by the end of the school year. There is still the SBCC, ACT, 2 more LPTs, etc. Let's just let TIO seed fairly without any personal rigging based on skill level / geography (if SLO comes). Who else from SB can bring back up flash drives in case Dante forgets? SLO finds out whether or not they come by Friday night right? :212: Also Dante still needs to post the approximate schedule on the tournament thread but he has not.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
So I have just gotten an email from the bottom line (the UCSB newspaper I work for) asking if anyone wants to cover the Lan Party Smash tourney.

This would be great publicity for the club and our nice little scene in general.

They want someone to cover it and do video or a slideshow to put up on our website. This will probably be me. If it is me i would need to a camera of camcorder because I am a noob (i might be able to get one from the bottom line though).

If this does happen (and it probably will) I advise you just be aware of it so dont be surprised if you see me with a camera there. So be sure to look your best ;)

Also I remember Huy asking how much I get payed. Its like 20 an article and I get 400 an month for being a layout editor.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
An article about smash club that'd be ****ing boss yes oh god yes. I need to find time to write that article in part. I write like a beast

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
Lol i meant a quarter. 400 a month would be too good haha. Does look good on the brag sheet though.

Also its just multimedia piece, no text (as of now). If I do a video ill probably do brief interviews though. We shall see.

NOTHING IS FOR SURE YET

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Alright. But i like writing like i said dawg you got me homeslice/!!?!?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Also David, the past tense of "pay" is actually "paid" not "payed." Is it true that lawyers actually carry around dictionaries to real life court cases? My teacher in 4th grade was telling me this but I didn't know if this was true or not. $400 per quarter is still good for the amount of working you are putting in. You should not interview me though. I may make the SB Smash Community bad with my bad answers. :( But you should still make a montage like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQxB-7F3D0

Also how did you get hired for the Bottom Line? Was there an application process + interview?

Stev

Smash Ace
I hear swords clashing whenever I read a conversation between DanteFox and Metalreflectslime.
I hear a baby with down syndrome yelling like he's Hellen Keller trying to talk

Actually playing Dante in 3 sets on Saturday isn't really important to me either. I'll catch up in sets by the end of the school year. There is still the SBCC, ACT, 2 more LPTs, etc. Let's just let TIO seed fairly without any personal rigging based on skill level / geography (if SLO comes). Who else from SB can bring back up flash drives in case Dante forgets? SLO finds out whether or not they come by Friday night right? :212: Also Dante still needs to post the approximate schedule on the tournament thread but he has not.
As far as I am aware, we're leaving saturday at 11

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Who is in the car and what is the driving time from SLO to SB? :212:

Also David, the past tense of "pay" is actually "paid" not "payed." Is it true that lawyers actually carry around dictionaries to real life court cases? My teacher in 4th grade was telling me this but I didn't know if this was true or not. $400 per quarter is still good for the amount of working you are putting in. You should not interview me though. I may make the SB Smash Community bad with my bad answers. But you should still make a montage like this:

Also how did you get hired for the Bottom Line? Was there an application process + interview?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Will is since he is the driver.

Also David, the past tense of "pay" is actually "paid" not "payed." Is it true that lawyers actually carry around dictionaries to real life court cases? My teacher in 4th grade was telling me this but I didn't know if this was true or not. $400 per quarter is still good for the amount of working you are putting in. You should not interview me though. I may make the SB Smash Community bad with my bad answers. But you should still make a montage like this:

Also Dante needs to change the thread title to include the green color coded phrase "Brawl and Melee" in the tournament thread (there are two of them and he only did one). :(

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I cannot wait to play SLO. Also is $heen MMing Dante again? How many times has this happended? SCSA 4, DSF's tournament, SBCC = 3 times? :confused:

Also how did you get hired for the Bottom Line? Was there an application process + interview? :)

Top Bottom