• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
you forgot that ky is socal. we surrender.

on a more serious note. the flashy stuff would scare the noobs away. it makes them think were even better than what we do. sand bagging is the best bet
No, I'm sorry, that's simply not the case.

When I was Pledgemaster for my frat, I erroneously believed that encouraging people to continue in the process by softening up the experience for them will get them motivated enough to believe that they can do it and to complete it. But all it does is it sets up an expectation that cannot be truly met without the hard work and the **** that you should be administering. It spoils them.

If you're making things easier for them and guide them every step of the way by not ****** them, you're basically creating false confidence in their skills, that will ultimately be their downfall as motivated gamers or competitors, or even casual gamers, when they really do lose or really do realize the skill gap.

We basically have to assume that people are not afraid and they are capable of anything. They'll find their way if they are.

The more fun you make the experience; the more fun you look like you're having without being fake; and the more inviting you are for them to try it, but not for the sake of embarrassing them or pushing them, the better your odds of recruiting someone.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Clearly socal is so stacked that I don't even have a place to play.
Like Jesse said, socal has a bigger pool to choose from (you and Miguel can definitely take those spots too) but norcal's 5 I mentioned earlier can take any combination of you easily. I can confidently play against 6 out of the 7 of you, and I'm basically a Pat counter and Ilija lure in one. I've never played Peach on ICs against Pat in seriouslies (actually, we just don't really play seriouslies at all haha), but I'm hoping the match up is so terrible that Pat being obviously much better than me doesn't show too much. Ilija has to play me if you guys don't want to lose unnecessary stocks due to dsmash -> dsmash -> dsmash shenanigans, which means he has to play Jesse next in a match up he doesn't like. And you're taking David way too lightly. He'll mess up your spacies if you're not careful :)

*like*

Knee.of.Ky

Smash Apprentice
i like how everyone ***** talks, but really can you just get the f***king crew battle on? cuz i could care less bout speculations, since thats all it is, speculations! i want to see some blood shed not spit in each others face, but thats cool too.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
i like how everyone ***** talks, but really can you just get the f***king crew battle on? cuz i could care less bout speculations, since thats all it is, speculations! i want to see some blood shed not spit in each others face, but thats cool too.
I agree with Ky.
I want to see blood.
No spit. Spit is for chumps.
Tomorrow...there will be blood...:mad:

-grrrrrr

Jun.

Smash Lord
Honestly in my experience, housing smashers was both fun and rewarding. Rarely would you ever get to play with people from a different area in long friendly session and see their take on the game. You also create a guaranteed relationship with someone from that region so you can get housing whenever you go to their area. Everyone who lives on campus and maybe even off campus should try and house anyone who is dedicated enough to travel for this game!

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Eric talks about the crew battle like it's pokemon.
Eric used down smash!
It's super effective!
Socal space animal fainted!
Socal sent out Falcon!
Falcon's intimidate lowered Eric's skill by 1
Falcon used down throw knee!
It's super effective!

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
If you guys want more tv's please bring them from the lodge. Pleaseeeeeeeee. And game consoles. (btw I forgot my melee disk again.)

SNG

Smash Journeyman
Hey Lanstar,

UCSD children are trying to draw some attention to WGF so they have a booth and are playing at the university central hub from about 12 - 4. They'll be at the lodge afterward.

-Sunny

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

Edrees! Ooh, are you going to Winter Game Fest? Please tell me that you'll be there! <3
Yup! I don't think I'm entering much. I'll probably do teams for brawl, but that's it. Mostly giong to hang out with everyone and cheer people on =D I'm glad you are going, I get to see rickety again! yay!

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
So I know this probably doesn't need to be said, but bring setups people. If I don't feel like we have enough TVs and cubes to run the Swiss RR, we'll probably just do a regualar double elimination bracket

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
oh yeah snap. i wanna start relatively early tomorrow guys. I have the lodge reserved from 10:00AM - 8:00PM if we got the ball rollin around 11 or 12 that'd be awesome.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Baker, that purple GC controller that you brought back with you is Kelvin's. It's the one with a cracked Z button

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
good games today guyss. I hope i get to play some good people tomorrow, and learn more haha!
playing lanstar at the end in some seriouslies helped me think about teching and side stepping and how much it can get punished lol.

P.S. Eric ur ICs suck :p

PEACH all the way!

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Yuta, it's not just mine. ICs just suck. Except Pat just makes them look usable. Pat you're sooooo good omfg. So much respect lol. Earlier this week, I beat Yuta's Falco with ICs convincingly and he switched to Peach and won. It was his second time touching the character I think? I seriously don't know how you do it, Pat. Lol. Or maybe Yuta's Peach is just really good. I dunno.

Josh, should be free on weekends.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I totally forgot to say this. I've been wanting to tell SD this for quite a while now. I heard SD was trying to get new players to come to their tournaments, etc. In SB's last Melee tournament where we charged $5 entry fee, there were only 8 entrants, but the last time we ran a tournament where we charged $1, there were 26 entrants. So having a $1 entry fee helps attracts new players. Most new players are hesistant to spend $5 on a tournament they will go two and out in. This time we are trying to run Swiss and have a $1 tournament and we'll see how that goes. ;)

Also who wants to house 5 people from SB for WGF?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
i usually don't charge any venue fee at all, and our turnouts are around 40-50. this week is an exception to raise money for PP to come to WGF though. no worries though, SD's got this

EDIT: oh my bad i read that as venue fee, not entry. we actually have $1 tournaments during our smashfests from time to time.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Great Tournament.

@Pat: Thanks for hosting, as always.

@Andrew/BearJew/JewBear (sounds better): Great teaming with you!

@Irvine: Thanks for coming down!

@Jessie: I like playing this guy.

@Jkun: Thanks for noticing the improvement in my game. I work hard.

@Engdrew: Stick to your guns!

@Kelvin: You're friendly! Stick around!

@Yuta: You're on my UCSD hitlist.

Top Bottom