• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the online for this game is, very bipolar.

Like playing with paw I had a pretty great connection, but with other people today I had horrible connections, and they lived in the same city. The day before it was perfectly fine with 3 people, but when I was doing local play it was freezing a lot (could be because i was at a convention, at least I hope so)

ryuujinx

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I dunno. I was playing with my friend a couple states over and it's perfectly fine, but when I do randoms it's like a 50/50 at best if the match is playable.

In other news, being able to cancel the landing lag of my aerials with throwing a turnip is pretty neato.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
For espy to fill out the first post, I'm thinking i'm maining Pac-Man with secondaries(so far) being, in no particular order, Little Mac, Villager, and Bowser Jr. I'm still working out which of those is my second best, though I'm leaning towards little mac. I'll need to get my ass handed to me by everyone here before I can know for sure. ^_^

Last edited:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I'm stealing your first post and just changing the name of the region for the new RGV thread.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I main Pikachu. I haven't really developed a secondary. I'm looking at Fox or possibly pac.

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
Hey guys I'm fairly new to ssb and this site. 3196 5466 5136 if anyone wants to play. Looking to participate more in tournaments, local play etc

CH4LK

Smash Rookie
I'm probably gonna keep maining ROB, but currently I'm just cycling through characters in friendlies to see which ones I like. Right now (don't hate me please) it's looking like DHD and Rosalina.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
you know they're going to have console exclusive characters, right?
Last I remember was watching one of the early Nintendo Directs when Sakurai talks about 3DS having different stages but having the same roster. I don't really have an incentive to Smash on the Go on a smaller screen and limited by battery life. Playing Hyrule Warriors on the tablet screen is already a bit of a strain on my subpar eyes. RPGs are my more preferred handheld console games. The only incentive for me to get the 3DS version would be for the bonus soundtrack.

Edit: BTW Espy, you can add my mobile phone. Since I already use it often usually when picking up Prime or Slush, and possibly anyone new if close enough. 210-643-0254 if you're too lazy to look up your phone's contact list.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Amazing how the Wii U helped me find an old video on YT when I couldn't find it on my computer after years of searching.
Thx Wii U, u prove to be better purchase than 3DS by the second.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I've learned some neat things about pac-man. his hydrant for one, can be used to push you around while you charge a smash to get a surprise full charged smash off on someone, plus it lets you defy death blows. As long as that water hits you back towards the stage as you're flying off, you will either a) slow your momentum enough to recover into near the 300s, or b), and my personal favorite, negate the kill entirely while you taunt and laugh at the player who just got pushed off the edge of the stage.

also, pac-man's dash and up smash have NO tail frames, which means you can surprise people with grabs, doges and smashes, and even aerials in some cases, out of a dash attack or an up smash. Nothing quite as satisfying as dashing up to a shielded played and up smashing them away. well, maybe failed up smash into grab. that's a very close second.

third point, his side B goes way farther then anyone expects. I can't tell you how many rage quits that has set off. ^_^

all that aside, has anyone else found interesting things with their chosen mains?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno bout right now, but yesterday when he declined he was playing with K prime. So he's prolly playingwith somebody else.

1v1 >1v2 taking turns

CCCM89

Smash Ace
to espy, I've got it sorted now. Main is Pac-Man, secondary Little Mac. tertiaries would be Ganon and Shiek in that order. Anyone else is just to **** around with.

Last edited:

ryuujinx

Smash Apprentice
all that aside, has anyone else found interesting things with their chosen mains?

If you're holding a turnip, you can cancel the landing lag into throwing another turnip via down+b. So float > fair > land > downb. This lets you shield pressure safely with floating fairs.

Peach don't give a **** about move staling. You can use aerials out of float all day long and they will do the same damage and knockback as if they were not staled.

You can instant pull a turnip if you do it right as you run of an edge. You can then cancel this into float.

I like this new iteration of peach. She's not quite Melee peach, but I'll take what I can get.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hey everyone, early announcement but with Smash 4 on Wii U confirmed for November 21st, I'm going to make it the main event alongside SF, Marvel, and KI at Ultra Arcade. Turkey Throwdown, November 22nd.

Thread coming soon.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
got to play online with snorlax pie last night. saved one of the better matches so I could see how to beter play pac-man and counter pikachu. also I tried the G&W bucket thing with him. it was hilarious. I have video if you want to see.

Also, found something interesting. Pac-man's fair has no knockback to speak of, but it does have a decent range and priority. it comes out fast, can be used twice per short hop, and can really **** up a guy's recovery if done right. I think it could double as a Wall of Pain with enough practice and good timing.

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Lol those team matches were a lot of fun! I would like to see the video if you have a link.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
no idea how to upload it, or if there's a way to transfer the replays to others, I assume there is, but until that becomes known to me, I can always just let you watch off my 3ds if and when we meet up for a smashfest.

also, something interesting about pac-man. if you are jumping while using bonus fruit (neutral special), you will float higher. this means he can reach the boundary on the ceiling with a double jump and his recoveries. he can also circle the underside of the platform. I'm working on making a video demonstrating each right now.

said video is now made. he can reach the boundary, but can't KO himself. he can, however, recover like a mother ******, and you know I like that alliteration. ^_^

Last edited:

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I would if I had one. I'll just wait for a smashfest, or demonstrate it with people on battlefield during with friends mode. that way you can get your own copy of the video.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
sounds fun. too bad I work saturdays. still, anyone here think there's a chance for a smashfest at all? I would like to fight everyone face to face again.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
if I actually used facebook, I would. :p in the mean time, KoN, care to get on my friend list and witness the recovery potential that is pac-man?

EDIT: Espy, checked my NID. it's CCCM89, so you can add that to the front page when you get the chance.

Last edited:

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
Still testing the waters on a main but for now I can say that it will be Mario. His moves lack damage and range but everything else to me is awesome.

His back air with the right spacing and timing on a short hop is my favorite approach. I can easily follow up with a ftilt or a nair. Also utilt and dthrow sets up some decent combos that were similar to brawl. I've been also catching people off guard with a short hop dair approach, it seems to surprise for some reason and it's good when my bair approach goes stale. You can't cape stall anymore but it's still useful. I love catching people on predictable recoveries. Fludd is fludd. Other than that the other problem I have is finishing off on high percents. I always find myself killing people off the stage and gimping with cape. His smash attacks aren't bad, the lack of range makes it tough.

Other characters I've been considering are Bowser Jr, Luigi, and Bowser.

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I would if I had one. I'll just wait for a smashfest, or demonstrate it with people on battlefield during with friends mode. that way you can get your own copy of the video.
We should play some teams tonight against other people. There's still a lot of people I haven't played yet from the thread.

Top Bottom