• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Brawl Thread: "K Prime's a ******" - Paw, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Sigh......

The bat isn't broken. Leave it alone. Play towards your character strengths and find a way around all the things he does to you. There is always a way. Always.

Also, if it is all about winning, then use Metaknight yourself. Nobody is making anyone play the character you play.
Super Smash Bros. Metaknight? Everyones uses Metaknight, then it all comes down to the player himself/herself. Then it's just nothing but Metaknight.

Lemme get in on dat Metal Slug business before nothing SA-inspired conversation is left

Kyronexx

Smash Apprentice
Sigh......

The bat isn't broken. Leave it alone. Play towards your character strengths and find a way around all the things he does to you. There is always a way. Always.

Also, if it is all about winning, then use Metaknight yourself. Nobody is making anyone play the character you play.
Whats up dood. :D

@Boss hi

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sigh......

The bat isn't broken.
No one reasonable is arguing that.

Leave it alone.
What makes you think that would happen, especially since this has been going on for three years now?

Play towards your character strengths and find a way around all the things he does to you. There is always a way. Always.
Technically, it's possible to defeat Ivan Ooze in the Power Rangers game. It's also possible to beat someone using Akuma in SF2. It's also possible to win Ganondorf vs. Ice Climbers or Olimar as Ganondorf.
Are any of those things possible in high level play? Absolutely. Is it probable that it will occur? Absolutely not.
Get better doesn't work. Stop using such a faulty argument.

Remember, if you are telling everyone in the community to "get better" instead of banning Meta Knight, then you're also okay with all levels, all infinites, and all items on high.
There's a difference between being practical, and being completely unreasonable. You, Dojo, Rei Gun...you're all in the latter category if you seriously believe that all people need to do is "get better".

After all, everyone's been trying to "get better" for three years. Nothing's really changed. In fact, it's getting worse.

I love how the "get better" argument you're making is supplemented by "main Meta Knight".

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Everyone and their grandparents either mains MK or has a pocket MK, cause not only is he the solution to all problems. He's basically A get outta jail free card! (Win the Match)

But yeah, the Get Better arguement is downright stupid when (as Espy stated) we've been trying/doing so for three years now with it about to be 4 in less then 7 months.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
What bothers me is that the SBR decides when a poll is held and how the ban is decided.
As far as I know, SBR members are chosen by other SBR members.

EDIT: I'm sorry, Big Boss. :<

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
What bothers me is that the SBR decides when a poll is held and how the ban is decided.
As far as I know, SBR members are chosen by other SBR members.

EDIT: I'm sorry, Big Boss. :<
SBR has no control over the ruleset of the game. We can make a recommendation to the BBR-RC about whether or not to ban him, but ultimately the decision is with the major TOs since they're in charge of the Unity Ruleset.

The SBR does have a close relationship with the BBR-RC though, so I imagine they would listen to our recommendation one way or the other.

Also - anyone from San Antonio want to money match my Diddy Kong with Metaknight? :)

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
I might mm you I just need to practice a bit.
if only I could clone myself?

But serious if everyone just goes mk that would get him banned a lot sooner than everyone crying that hes broken.

:phone:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Who want's to go to San Angelo for a couples days next week?
If we can get a full carpool, I'd drive. (Assuming my car is fixed by then)

Nike.

Smash Hero
I guess we'd leave the same day Dallas heads over there. Def come back Thursday. I'd need Friday to prepare for NF4.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Had that game for 10 years. Never did. I think your full of it lol
Some moves from certain characters in the game gave you invincibility. You can use those moves to approach through Ivan Ooze's walls of attacks. It's tough, but it's definitely possible.
You just gotta...you know...get better.

I guess we have to ban the Ganon vs Ice Climbers matchup also
Except that we're not arguing against Meta Knight just because of match up ratios. It's merely a single factor of many. A big one, but just a single example. Besides, Ganondorf has plenty of other problems to begin with.

Who want's to go to San Angelo for a couples days next week?
If we can get a full carpool, I'd drive. (Assuming my car is fixed by then)
I'd actually be pretty down with this. I shouldn't have much plans next weekend.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Also, Kyro and I are going to see Jurassic Park at the Bijou today. It's at the same mall as Ooples. We'll be waiting in line at 5:30, movie starts at 7 (they serve food). Tickets are free. Hope to see other ppl :)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Some moves from certain characters in the game gave you invincibility. You can use those moves to approach through Ivan Ooze's walls of attacks. It's tough, but it's definitely possible.
You just gotta...you know...get better.

Except that we're not arguing against Meta Knight just because of match up ratios. It's merely a single factor of many. A big one, but just a single example. Besides, Ganondorf has plenty of other problems to begin with.

I'd actually be pretty down with this. I shouldn't have much plans next weekend.
Nonono. Ivan Ooze and Akuma don't even know what a 6-4 is. All of their matchups are much much better than the plenty 6-4s that MK has. If you're going to make a comparison, 3rd strike Chun Li has ONE (1) 6-4 against Yun as her hardest match-up. Get better.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, who's gonna be at SJ4 this weekend? I'm probably just going for Fri&Sat, although, I hope to see some of you ppl there, as this time my friends won't be there so, I'l def stick to just being in the game room unless ppl lead/accompany me elsewhere otherwise

Also, Kyro and I are going to see Jurassic Park at the Bijou today. It's at the same mall as Ooples. We'll be waiting in line at 5:30, movie starts at 7 (they serve food). Tickets are free. Hope to see other ppl :)
I work today >:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Doesn't matter, Rei Gun.
It's just like Tyson said. There's always a way. Always. Regardless of how steep it seems.

When the Anti-Ban's main argument is this ridiculous "Get Better" stance, then you know they're just reaching for some type of grounding.

Above that, you can't argue with character ratios because they aren't even generally accepted. The BBR MU Ratios for Meta Knight have plenty of disagreement amongst players in general, so arguing with those in mind as a major element to your point is akin to riding on personalized experiences.

Foxhound_Joshua

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, who's gonna be at SJ4 this weekend? I'm probably just going for Fri&Sat, although, I hope to see some of you ppl there, as this time my friends won't be there so, I'l def stick to just being in the game room unless ppl lead/accompany me elsewhere otherwise
redsky and i will be going friday+saturday for sure. i'm going for the brawl tourney, but we can go walk around and hit on some underage con girls. ;)

also, if there's a rave, i wanna hit it up!

~~~

congrats to most of SA moving up in the latest TXPR update. winning.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
redsky and i will be going friday+saturday for sure. i'm going for the brawl tourney, but we can go walk around and hit on some underage con girls. ;)

also, if there's a rave, i wanna hit it up!

~~~

congrats to most of SA moving up in the latest TXPR update. winning.
Awesome! Then I'll def buy the weekend pass then :3 . I'm off Friday so I can go as early as I need to, but I work Saturday, and I get off at 4:30pm so I'm hauling *** right afterward to make it to the tourney and then I'm off Sunday so party-hardy that night as well ;P

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Doesn't matter, Rei Gun.
It's just like Tyson said. There's always a way. Always. Regardless of how steep it seems.

When the Anti-Ban's main argument is this ridiculous "Get Better" stance, then you know they're just reaching for some type of grounding.

Above that, you can't argue with character ratios because they aren't even generally accepted. The BBR MU Ratios for Meta Knight have plenty of disagreement amongst players in general, so arguing with those in mind as a major element to your point is akin to riding on personalized experiences.
See, it's all just a matter of reason. I think it's reasonable to have a character with only advantageous match-ups, but plenty of winnable ones. You think it's unreasonable to have to work that hard. It's as simple as that. It's not game-breaking. Overcentralization is a result of the community, not the character.

I'm done cluttering this thread. Sorry, people :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
See, it's all just a matter of reason. I think it's reasonable to have a character with only advantageous match-ups, but plenty of winnable ones. You think it's unreasonable to have to work that hard. It's as simple as that. It's not game-breaking.
The problem is that you're only arguing for ONE POINT, Rei Gun, and that one point is useless and unconvincing on it's own. You need more than just anecdotal evidence to have any type of sound stance on the issue.

And before I continue, I'll make it clear right here that I feel it's okay to work hard at a game to be successful. That's the point of the game to begin with. However, it's UNREASONABLE to require such a large amount of focus on one single aspect of that game when there is still a plethora of ground left to cover with the other elements of the game we have yet to cover.

It's not just the "no losing match ups". It's that he has no losing stages, the fact that he breaks the counterpick system we base this entire competitive scene on, his dominance across the entire board (money earned, usage, and match ups), his over-centralization in teams, rules developed to weaken his stronger abilities (and yet do no such thing), how much focus is on his metagame in comparison to the other...30+ characters, his negative influence on the community + non-high level play, AND the fact that the community at large has a 100% win rate in polls concerning the ban are all also points that can be made to support a pro-ban argument.

The anti-ban movement has...
...Get Better.

If you want, I can pull up the official anti-ban and pro-ban points that were made during the last public discussion, plus information and hard data that supports whatever side they were provided for.

Overcentralization is a result of the community, not the character.
If the above was your argument, then this is the punchline.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
See, it's all just a matter of reason. I think it's reasonable to have a character with only advantageous match-ups, but plenty of winnable ones. You think it's unreasonable to have to work that hard. It's as simple as that. It's not game-breaking. Overcentralization is a result of the community, not the character.

I'm done cluttering this thread. Sorry, people :p
I like this guy. Anyways is everyone going to pick mk at san japan? Lets at least try to fill up the top 8 spots with mk that will turn some heads.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well Zac, if you read the last few pages (Rei, Dojo, Infinity, KoN), as well as content from the BBR (since you're a part of it), you'll see that really, that's all they have left to stand on.
And it's not convincing anyone reasonable any time soon.

@Rei: I'll win with Ganondorf.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Aye, and I agree that MK is beatable, matchups against him aren't "unwinnable," and he could be more broken... but at the same time I think the competitive scene could be better without such a monstrosity.

The mechanics of MK cheat at this game. That recovery, that "you cant airdodge my attacks," that matchup chart, them stages, them extra rules that effect the whole game just because of one character. It's a mess, an unnecessary one at that, but that's no reason the community isn't allowed to change the second half of competitive Brawl life.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
Im not saying "get better" and dont ban mk. Im saying do something about it. if everyone start spaming the brackets with mks it would completely **** on the counter pick system and stage counters. It would ruin brawl as a competitve game and the bbrrc would have no choice but to ban mk nation wide, or let the game die.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Im not saying "get better" and dont ban mk. Im saying do something about it. if everyone start spaming the brackets with mks it would completely **** on the counter pick system and stage counters. It would ruin brawl as a competitve game and the bbrrc would have no choice but to ban mk nation wide, or let the game die.

The game wouldn't die, it would just be MK infested. Like a zombie apocalypse :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom