• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai on DLC: “It’s All About Making Players Happy”

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Take the Final Boss Bowser (not Giga) in Melee and compare it to Melee playable Bowser.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Ugh, Super Metroid is ONE game. He's appeared more times than that in ways that defined his size.
Besides, Sm4sh would be contradicting itself pretty badly if it had a bowser sized Ridley while in Pyrosphere he's already huge.

Finally, if you'd read my original post, you would have seen that I said "They'll probably end up with someone that isn't super anticipated. Or someone stupid. (Lookin @ u Ridley)" I think he'll make it, he's just stupid.
It's true that Super Metroid is just one game but it's that design that most people think of when they think if him and was the base for his brawl design.

Ridleypose03PRE_zps109b9d07.png

Has you can see it's almost the same but with a few differences.

"Besides, Sm4sh would be contradicting itself pretty badly if it had a bowser sized Ridley while in Pyrosphere he's already huge."

In no way is that a real problem, I will never understand went people say stuff like "it'll be sooo weird see Ridley fighting another Ridley" meanwhile we see Link fighting another smaller Link but that's ok becuase he's not huge even thought size has almost nothing to do with Ridley being Ridley.

If you think he'll be stupid then why complain? If he become's DLC you'll most likely won't buy him anyway's.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
So we know now that Nintendo isn't all that just money hungry the extra DLC is to accommodate for the costly development. But shoot they're money hungry in my opinion.

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
In Adventure mode of Melee, Bowser was the final boss, but he was larger than his playable form--even before the Giga Bowser transformation.
Oh I see, Well, you guys are pretty convincing, I understand reasoning behind his appearance now, should he make it.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
It's true that Super Metroid is just one game but it's that design that most people think of when they think if him and was the base for his brawl design...
If you think he'll be stupid then why complain? If he become's DLC you'll most likely won't buy him anyway's.
I was just defending myself against the rest of the internet, but if he makes it, I'll probably get him just for the heck of it after all this dispute.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
While it may be because I'm a Ridley fan, I generally try not to presume whether a character will be good or bad before they are released. After all, I would not have expected anything close to the movesets of Duck Hunt or Pac-Man before they were announced. Same goes for Ridley, K. Rool, or any other character, even if they aren't controversial. Besides, I like being pleasantly surprised.

Sebastinium

Smash Rookie
Im no detractor but if you guys could stop spamming this lousy concept art and look at Samus and Bowser's actual sizes, that'd be great

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Im no detractor but if you guys could stop spamming this lousy concept art and look at Samus and Bowser's actual sizes, that'd be great

That's still a workable size but OK i'lll just use this instead.

wVsfnVp.jpg

I know it's Other M Ridley but he still looks fine next to bowser's if he was his size. (It's really a gaint sized Bowser but I think you get the point)

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
That's actually much better.
Well, yeah. I probably should have thought about that a little more. I usually just lurk and not say (unless it comes to Disqus).

Here's the thing: As a Metroid Fan, I think Ridley as a fighter wouldn't be bad, but would really mess up what he's about. He's built from the ground up to be a boss fight; Fighting Ridley in Sm4sh wouldn't feel like fighting Ridley. It'd feel like fighting a Charizard with a texture pack. In all of his games, he looked like he took advantage of what he had, and (without hardware limitations) actually stretched out his wings/body. Keeping him at his size would make him look really scrunched up and resizing him would make him look very small. Besides, we already have two fighters with that annoying fire-move cancelling move, I don't want another one

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
In Super Metroid he was really scrunched. And Metroid Fusion's Neo-Ridley was even worse in that regard. The 3D games are the ones that have turned him into a Boeing. Furthermore, the reason shrunken Ridleys look unusually small is because most of them use the Brawl boss model, which has relatively thin arms and legs. Other M Ridley is brawnier, which prevents that problem.

And Charizard is a very different dragon from Ridley. Charizard's design is very bottom-heavy and outside of his wings and fire breath has very little in common with Ridley. Particularly the tail, which is one of Ridley's most useful weapons. And Charizard is a biped, while Ridley is quadruped. There are too many differences between their bodies and abilities to be very similar.

Top Bottom