• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai on DLC: “It’s All About Making Players Happy”

Jaycen_Thunda

Smash Rookie
I only knew about Sakurai from troll posts and memes I see around facebook.
Now to read this article and get his viewpoints on things like the DLC madness.
I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for him.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Thanks for posting this and for sourcing us!

By the way, Masked Man's username on Smashboards is @Aeris.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
Sakurai focuses on making the player happy while also announcing they want lots of DLC for Smash?

Get ready ready for 8 player Smash featuring Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Ryu, Cloud, Goku, Naruto/Sakura team (because who wanted Naruto and Hinata together anyway?), and Vladimir Putin.
bruh, the NaruSaku comment tho.... NaruHina is CANNON!!!! FACE IT LIKE A MAN!!!! :troll:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Reeks of PR speak, but still good news regardless.
At what extent does a developer expressing emotion not be dismissed as "PR speak"?
Seriously, can't a developer genuinely express that he likes to make people happy rather than the consumers assuming he's doing this in the long run primarily for the $$$?? It seems like the consumers are more worried about the $$$ than the developers that genuinely do it to make people happy...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
At what extent does a developer expressing emotion not be dismissed as "PR speak"?
Seriously, can't a developer genuinely express that he likes to make people happy rather than the consumers assuming he's doing this in the long run primarily for the $$$?? It seems like the consumers are more worried about the $$$ than the developers that genuinely do it to make people happy...
It's actually both, to be honest.

I mean, Sakurai needs money for a living and under a contract with Nintendo for Smash Bros., so there might be some pressure from Nintendo to have him develop DLC.

However, let's not forget that he's an independent developer. His company, Sora Ltd., isn't affiliated with Nintendo. If he wanted, he could have chosen to not do Smash Bros. 4 at all.

So he returned for the fourth game because he likes the series and likes working on it.

The games have a crapload of content and, to be frank, a lot of it is completely unnecessary. Is it necessary to have 700+ trophies? 400+ music? No, but it's clear that Sakurai likes Nintendo and Smash Bros. enough to take it to a new level in regards to callbacks and fanservice.

He works harder than he could (and should, given his deteriorating health) because he has passion for his work in the Smash series and wants to ensure the games are the best he can make.

You can like your job, even if a major reason to have one is to earn money for you to live. Sakurai is no different. It's obvious he wants money, but it's also evident that he likes what he does.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Godspeed, Sakurai. I hope you are able to get some rest soon..

N E V E R S T O P C L I M B I N G B O Y S

RedMacaw95

Smash Rookie
Props to Sakurai ,for all the hard work he does in the game for us and being more passionate to try his best to bring up characters that we love to see, even with 3rd party characters.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Since all of the main points have been said already about how awesome Sakurai is. I only have one thing I can say.

Yee, Sakurai. Yee.

Can't wait to see what other new legit DLC we get.

I also really hope they let that man get some rest holy crap.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I also really hope they let that man get some rest holy crap.
Considering that most games take like 2 years to make, I'm assuming he was essentially done Smash 4 by the 50-Fact Extravaganza went live; so he's had since then to rest.

But now it seems he wants to get back into actively developing again since he's rested for so long (which may give previously deconfirmed characters, like Ridley, a second shot if he finds ideas for them).

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
I'm definitely happy that Sakurai is doing this. Lucas, Mewtwo (though annoying at the moment), probably Roy too! I never played as Mewtwo much but I really like Roy and Lucas.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Man with the DLC for Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh I'm really happy to see that Nintendo knows how to do DLC!!
I mean really the price they put them all at is a wonderful price for what you are getting!
(from the mouth of a Nintendo fanboy...)
:bubblebobble:

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty happy with the characters were getting I hope Nintendo keeps this up. So long as we get one character for the F-Zero and possibly Metroid, I'd say this was a nice bit of DLC.

Dream pick would be Beat or Yoyo from Jet Set Radio and Banjo Kazooie. They would both fit with the artstyle and moveset options could be amazing.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
smash bros could be literally infinite

one more dlc every week

any and every character in any and every video game

Nuclearkitty

Smash Cadet
Sakurai seems so nice, like I know it's a product and keeping players happy is usually the motto but just how much torture he's put himself through for this series. I do hope this is the final game purely it's because it's what he wants, then he either retires because he's definitely been successful but I don't know how much Nintendo pays him or keeps making games because it's clearly something he loves. I mean Smash is easily one of the biggest series on Nintendo consoles and it was a big part in the Wii U recent success with it's sales.

In short, Mr. Sakurai while keeping the players happy is a great priority, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say if you want to be done after this then have it be the final one.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
If sakurai was never here to make great smash bros and kirby games, I don't know if I WANT to play nintendo. He is one of the reasons I still play nintendo over Xbox Live. Keep the games going Sakurai... We appreciate all your hard work bro.
Well, that and Nintendo online is still free.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think of DLC as a tool, which can be used or abused. In the past, some bad business practices have given it a bad name and now we have the case with Mortal Kombat X, great game which is being affected by bad decisions such as holding off characters prior to the game's release and selling them separately.
However, this is to me the ideal way to handle DLC. Deliver a complete game then work on some new additional content after it's release. Sort of an expansion pack.

Last edited:

firedude953

Smash Apprentice
NNID
firedude953
I totally agree with Sakurai on the DLC scam. I'm happy that Nintendo does DLC the right way by using it as an expansion and not a paywall. People on YouTube are always complaining how Nintendo isn't keeping up with the times, well IMO if the future includes DLC scams, I'm happy gaming in the past.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
As long as they are first-party characters, I'm okay. Ryu does not deserve to be in Smash and Capcom does not deserve another guest.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
As long as they are first-party characters, I'm okay. Ryu does not deserve to be in Smash and Capcom does not deserve another guest.
....The face of fighting games doesn't deserve to be in Smash, which is a fighting game? :/

It doesn't matter that he's third-party, Ryu is to fighting games what Mario is to platformers; nobody who knows about those types of games hasn't at least heard his name or seen him. Saying Ryu doesn't "deserve" being a fighter is like saying Mario shouldn't be in Smash; it's ridiculous.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
....The face of fighting games doesn't deserve to be in Smash, which is a fighting game? :/

It doesn't matter that he's third-party, Ryu is to fighting games what Mario is to platformers; nobody who knows about those types of games hasn't at least heard his name or seen him. Saying Ryu doesn't "deserve" being a fighter is like saying Mario shouldn't be in Smash; it's ridiculous.
Though I completely agree, I think Smash could end up having just any character and the whole point was "Nintendo's biggest starts". Under your statement then I could say that Master Chief deserves to be in too because he is to shooters what Mario is to platformers. Just my two cents.

D

Deleted member

I love how people want extra content and then whine about having to pay for it. Unless the game becomes unplayable without the DLC, you have no right to complain because you could simply choose not to buy it. Keep your damn wallet shut if it bothers you so much. Smash4 already had more content than all other Smash games straight out of the box. The only "fans" who refer to it as a "scam" are those who have no self control when it comes to money. Either that or you're an immature brat who's upset that mommy and daddy won't buy the new content for you.

I hope they keep the DLC coming for a long time. I will purchase what interests me.

About making players happy? LOL good one. Lie about DLC and patches until you realize that ypu can make easy money. Oh but wait maybe you are for the players, or at leazt the ****ing casual players since you only buff characters that see play online and nerf all the ones that see competitive play because the noobs should have a fair chance against the pros because rewarding noobs for not practicing as hard as pros makes so much sense. Hey now let's add characters that aren't even anything new at all. Just old characters that weren't even gokd paved over in HD. Woot. Oh but that ballot seems interesting. Who's it gonna be? Lemmie guess, another ****ing Mario character? A Pokemon? Another clone? I have an idea, leave the community to its devices and make something else you lazy bums; preferrebly not a ******** Kirby themed leap frog abortion.
You sound bitter. I've heard that a good remedy for that is shutting the hell up. I would seriously question why you even play Smash in the first place since you seem to hate it and its devlopers so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Though I completely agree, I think Smash could end up having just any character and the whole point was "Nintendo's biggest starts". Under your statement then I could say that Master Chief deserves to be in too because he is to shooters what Mario is to platformers. Just my two cents.
To be fair. I think they dropped the whole "Nitendo's Biggest Stars" thing since Melee. There's no mention of it on either of Smash 4s Boxes, and I'm *pretty* sure it's not on Brawls either.
About making players happy? LOL good one. Lie about DLC and patches until you realize that ypu can make easy money. Oh but wait maybe you are for the players, or at leazt the ****ing casual players since you only buff characters that see play online and nerf all the ones that see competitive play because the noobs should have a fair chance against the pros because rewarding noobs for not practicing as hard as pros makes so much sense. Hey now let's add characters that aren't even anything new at all. Just old characters that weren't even gokd paved over in HD. Woot. Oh but that ballot seems interesting. Who's it gonna be? Lemmie guess, another ****ing Mario character? A Pokemon? Another clone? I have an idea, leave the community to its devices and make something else you lazy bums; preferrebly not a ******** Kirby themed leap frog abortion.
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine on a rainy day.

Last edited:

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I like how you called them lazy... lol, how about you make a smash game? work on it all day everyday, even on weekends, holidays, you name it. Keep an eye on everything, every little detail. Do it while you are in pain constantly, to the point where its hard to move your arms.
When you do that. You can call them lazy.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
If it was really about making players happy he wouldn't have constantly DENIED us RIDLEY, or make top wanted characters such as Ashley, Midna, SkullKid, ETC, ETC, assist trophies to have the perfect excuses not to make them playable.

You cant take Sakurai's word on ANYTHING.
He's quoted as saying "Size doesnt matter in Smash." (in reference to Olimar)
then goes around and says that making Ridley smaller would "Ruin his character"
I think he's just a bias jerk about which characters he allows in and which he doesnt.
He seems determined to make characters from only certain franchises all really good, and make others from the ones he jealous of shallow.
Zelda is arguably Nintendo's 2nd flagship franchise behind Mario, and yet they havent gotten an extra number of newcomers since Melee; that's 13 YEARS :glare:

Doval

Smash Lord

There's a couple of problems with Ryu. Third party characters are at a premium. There's legalities involved, and their inclusion is partially a political move; Nintendo's playing favorites with other devs.

So, the first issue is that Capcom already has a rep. Why would they get a second rep, when Namco's the one that helped make the game and Konami had their rep retired?

The other thing is that Smash deliberately tries not to be a traditional fighter (and Sakurai has said as much explicitly), so there's some irony in including the face of traditional fighters.

And then there's the fact that he's probably not at the top of polls for new characters.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But are YOU happy, Sakurai?
If it was really about making players happy he wouldn't have constantly DENIED us RIDLEY, or make top wanted characters such as Ashley, Midna, SkullKid, ETC, ETC, assist trophies to have the perfect excuses not to make them playable.

You cant take Sakurai's word on ANYTHING.
He's quoted as saying "Size doesnt matter in Smash." (in reference to Olimar)
then goes around and says that making Ridley smaller would "Ruin his character"
I think he's just a bias jerk about which characters he allows in and which he doesnt.
He seems determined to make characters from only certain franchises all really good, and make others from the ones he jealous of shallow.
Zelda is arguably Nintendo's 2nd flagship franchise behind Mario, and yet they havent gotten an extra number of newcomers since Melee; that's 13 YEARS :glare:
You sound unbelievably salty. Not even a thank you for making this game to him, shame

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
He sounds a lot less stressed out here than he usually is. Good; as much as his actions tick me off sometimes, I've been worried about his health.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You sound unbelievably salty. Not even a thank you for making this game to him, shame
Or, you know, he could just think Sakurai's reasonings are bull**** and is calling him out on it. That's reasonable, too. :/

And to be honest, Sakurai has been pretty bad at choosing newcomers this time; we now have almost a complete top row (on the 3DS game) of nothing but Mario characters. :/ That's a bit too much even for the flagship of Nintendo. Not to mention Kid Icarus, a franchise with only three games, also got three characters (one which was a barely-altered clone), while it's more popular sister Metroid, which has had seven games (not counting spinoff titles) still only has one character; Samus. The only newcomers I think were really keepers are the Mii Fighters, Villager, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Dr. Mario and Bowser Junior; everyone else was either really poor clones (Lucina, Dark Pit), really shouldn't have been priority (Wii Fit Trainer) or just a bit too similar to other characters (Greninja). Defend Sakurai all you want, but he's neglecting big franchises just to advertise Uprising, which was already a year old by the time the game released.

We still don't have any other Metroid characters, Donkey Kong still is missing a main character and meanwhile Kid Icarus, a franchise that was dead in the water for 20 years, not only has three characters, one of which is a piss-poor clone, it gets three stages, the most enemies of any franchise in Smash Run, an Assist Trophy and the most trophies of any franchise. Meanwhile, Metroid has one character (with an alternate playstyle), two stages, few enemies in Smash Run, a small amount of trophies and two Assist Trophies.

It just reeks of favoritism, since Metroid is infinitely more significant to Nintendo's, and gaming as a whole's, history than Kid Icarus is; but apparently Kid Icarus is more important to Sakurai, and that's all that matters.

People defending Sakurai just need to accept that the man can be at fault, and at times even an outright fibber; getting horribly defensive about someone daring to criticize Sakurai for poor choices isn't helping anybody.

Top Bottom