• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Now hang on a second...

Doesn't the whole idea behind Super Smash Bros. imply that someone is battling with toy figures and imagining them coming to life?

In Smash 64's opening, Master Hand snaps his fingers, and a toy comes to life. In the Melee intro, a trophy of Mario is thrown into the ring, and Mario comes to life from the trophy. In Brawl's Subspace, characters come to life from trophies. And we can't forget the Wii U version, where we have actual trophies we can touch to the Gamepad to bring them to life.

So if Smash is centered around this concept, why is there the concern with realism, whether size or anything else? Obviously Smash is a game about fanservice, so I understand the motivation to make the characters representative of the way they are in their respective games, but beyond that, if Smash's whole concept centers around figures coming to life, why need there be a constraint placed on which characters get to fight? Especially if the trophies of the characters themselves are all about equally sized?

I've never been in the pro Ridley camp, nor have I campaigned against having him in the game, but I think this should at least be considered.
Dude.... your profile image... give me give me give! Yummy Yummy!!

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
Gonna C&P this from the Social Thread...
YOU KNOW WHAT!?
I'm not going to give any opinions here, I'm merely going to explain how Sakurai simply hates Ridley and Metroid in general and how he's a complete hypocrite, through FACTS. These statements clash so much with how the final product looks like, and it bugs me that he can't outright say "I don't like the Metroid series" rather than giving us this goldmine of words that don't match up at all...

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer, It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”
Characters that directly contradict the shrunk down (Size) statement:
:4bowser::4charizard::4ganondorf::4olimar::4alph::4pikachu::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja::4dedede:
Characters that blatantly contradict the fly around freely statement:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4charizard::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4kirby::4metaknight::4palutena::4pit::rosalina:
Also, the 'or its wings reduced in size' is particularily troubling, as the METROID SERIES HAS DONE THIS BEFORE WITHOUT BREAKING ANY OF RIDLEY'S CHARACTER, THE METROID SERIES, apparently you're more accurate than the goddamn source material, Sakurai:

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
Accurate portrayals? Lemme see here...
:4bowser:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because the Mario series doesn't exist and neither does SHOWTIME! or Bowser's current, well-liked portrayal as an expressive villain with attitude.
:4dk:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because his visual design totally doesn't match up with his actual voice from the actual Donkey Kong games, where he's expressive and memorable. The lack of a Barrel Throw move seems odd, especially considering that both his UpB and SideB are non-canon, made-up moves.
:4ganondorf:: Do I even need to touch this one? Ganondorf literally draws zero content from the Zelda series for his moveset, and he's been stuck 3 games as a clone of character he has nothing to do with. Precious, simply precious, the main villain of one of Nintendo's biggest series IS A CLONE OF ANOTHER SERIES' CHARACTER.
:4myfriends:: Completely generic and OOC voiceover.
:4ness:: Most of his moveset belongs to another character from Earthbound.
:4samus::4zss:: The suitless Samus somehow has a higher damage output and physical capabilities than the one with the Power Suit. You know? The physically-enhancing, almighty, technologically-advanced alien combat suit that's often associated the most with the Metroid series?
:4tlink:: Uses absolutely zero unique content from Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass on his moveset.
:4wario::4wario2:: Complete lack of Wario Land representation, and most of his moves aren't even based on WarioWare, so he's basically made up on the spot, really faithful to the Wario series.
:4olimar:: Olimar never used Wing Pikmin In-Game.

Oh, let's look at some characters with perfect portrayals that draw a ton from their respective games...
:4pit:: Entire moveset change to be more accurate to the source material? Of course!
:4darkpit:: He has to exist because he couldn't use the Three Sacred Treasures, screw the Triforce Slash, the Zero Laser, the Great Aether, Giga Bowser, Peach Blossom, Balloon Puff, Mario Finale, Megaman Legends (This one gets a pass), Difussion Beam and Power Star never being things on the actual games, Dark Pit can't be seen using the Three Sacred Treasures. Oh, not to mention the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario, I guess they should all be characters because they shouldn't be turning into Shadow Mario, IT'S NOT CANON, THE HORROR!
:4palutena:: The only flaw about Palutena's representation would be her voice actress, but she still sounds pretty similar, even...
:4metaknight::4dedede::4kirby:: All pretty much a copy of their respective game counterparts, all drawing heavy inspiration from canon.

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,”

What about the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing a character based on an all-ground playstyle? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a puppeteer character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing an all-projectile character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a character that can basically switch playstyles and physics on the go? I guess you could also call turning costumes into full-fledged characters a convoluted process, especially with the balancing part...oh...and wasn't it a convoluted hocus-pocus to make a three-style customizable fighter with variable weight and outfits that has access to 3 times the moveset of all characters? Wasn't that convoluted?

Basically "Instead of putting EFFORT into something that the Metroid fanbase has rightfully demanded and defended FOR YEARS, I figured it'd be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the way I like it, and have him bending over to anyone who beats him up enough, completely ****ting on the fact that his character's based on how cunning, smart and egoistical he is, rather than some mundane thing like his size"

I hope this was at least a decent read for anyone who's as angry at this man as I am right now, there's nothing that pisses me off more that a man that goes back and forth on his word like a freaking Tennis match. The thing that angers me the most was the 'shrink his wings' bit, it's like this man has never even touched a Metroid game.
i disagree with almost all your points and still found this a good read nicely written comment sir

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The fact that Ridley was too big all along doesn't bother me that much, it's just that now I think we're getting Adam Malkovich when the time comes for another Metroid newcomer.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
The fact that Ridley was too big all along doesn't bother me that much, it's just that now I think we're getting Adam Malkovich when the time comes for another Metroid newcomer.
A Metroid newcomer thats just another human in armor pretty much confirms that the series is repetitive with its in game content in smash. The only improvment was a fliping stage and a few Smash run enemies.

Also lets get things a little heated shall we

image.jpg

Yup, keeps Ganon with a plagiarized move set for 3 games but thinks this will ruin his character. Also haters will probably try to put some false logic(opinions) into why this is BS.

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Now hang on a second...

Doesn't the whole idea behind Super Smash Bros. imply that someone is battling with toy figures and imagining them coming to life?

In Smash 64's opening, Master Hand snaps his fingers, and a toy comes to life. In the Melee intro, a trophy of Mario is thrown into the ring, and Mario comes to life from the trophy. In Brawl's Subspace, characters come to life from trophies. And we can't forget the Wii U version, where we have actual trophies we can touch to the Gamepad to bring them to life.

So if Smash is centered around this concept, why is there the concern with realism, whether size or anything else? Obviously Smash is a game about fanservice, so I understand the motivation to make the characters representative of the way they are in their respective games, but beyond that, if Smash's whole concept centers around figures coming to life, why need there be a constraint placed on which characters get to fight? Especially if the trophies of the characters themselves are all about equally sized?

I've never been in the pro Ridley camp, nor have I campaigned against having him in the game, but I think this should at least be considered.
Because its not so much about size as it is about the game mechanics that Ridley would use.
Using your trophy example, how would you play with Ridley? I am sure most people that see a dragon with spread out wings would automatically think of it only flying around, not often landing and fighting on the ground.

It's a little weird that everybody is jumping on the "ridley is too big" wagon, when that isn't even what Sakurai mentioned, as he actually stated he could shrink Ridley down (along with mentioning two other reasons, that seem much more important), but just doesn't want to.

I think the main reason is actually that Ridley couldn't have a flying fighting style (which he actually should).

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
well, too bad ridley isn't playable. he looks like he has a pretty cool role on the pyrosphere though. and since i'm already settled with my characters it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

i have to say though, since i'm not the kind of person who visits forums and boards that often anymore; i had a real blast at the official ridley support thread. speculating was fun, beautiful fan art came out of it, as well as impressive hoax's and move sets.

i wan't to thank @SchAlternate especially since he's one of the biggest ridley supporters i know.

well, who knows. sakurai didn't saw villager as a potential fighter before, and now he's one of the most popular newcomers.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Somebody is salty, hey... What about you **** off?
I didn't do anything to you, so that's seem fair
I have nothing to be salty about here, since I'm neither for or against Ridley.

stop spamming. People have the right to criticize and this thread is going to stay open for now.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Because its not so much about size as it is about the game mechanics that Ridley would use.
Using your trophy example, how would you play with Ridley? I am sure most people that see a dragon with spread out wings would automatically think of it only flying around, not often landing and fighting on the ground.
Charizard says hi

It's a little weird that everybody is jumping on the "ridley is too big" wagon, when that isn't even what Sakurai mentioned, as he actually stated he could shrink Ridley down (along with mentioning two other reasons, that seem much more important), but just doesn't want to.
Terrible excuse to not put in a character. Shows that he wasn't willing to at least try to see if it could work (but I guess he doesn't have the time and money that he whines about in every interview)

I think the main reason is actually that Ridley couldn't have a flying fighting style (which he actually should).
You know its rude to not say hi back

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I have nothing to be salty about here, since I'm neither for or against Ridley.

stop spamming. People have the right to criticize and this thread is going to stay open for now.
Frist of all, I'm not spamming, when did giving a opinion or reply a topic is spam?
I was giving my opinion, until you just went off and told me to **** off for no reason.

Stop being a **** and leave me alone, thank you :)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
he actually stated he could shrink Ridley down (along with mentioning two other reasons, that seem much more important), but just doesn't want to.
I think this is the key here. He's shown time and time again that he can make things work: WFT, Villager, etc, exist, and have complete movesets. Why not Ridley?

It may be the same as Tingle now - Sakurai doesn't want to add him since America hates him with a passion. I guess he sees Ridley the same in the opposite direction. Personally, I'd accept Tingle if it meant Ridley was in, even though I can't stand him. There would be other characters I do like.

Again, DLC is a great way to add those characters with region-specific fanbases since then people who don't like it can choose to have their game unmarred. Unfortunately, it seems that Sakurai is not thinking that way - we need to get what he likes and that's it. I hope their 'DLC experiment' with Mewtwo goes well, though, so we may have that possibility in the future. It should, considering the internet hype after Fact 54...

Oh well...It's been fun speculating. It was really people here who proved to me that Ridley would be a great character to put in. Thanks for the fun, guys. I'll still have fun even without a purple dragon here, but it would have been nice to have a few more true villains around.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Something I'd like to point out about people's argument regarding Olimar. Olimar himself was not made bigger. His entire world was made bigger to fit to scale with all of the other characters in the game. Ridley is part of Metroid's world. So, the same thing does not really apply, because if so, then in order to make Ridley smaller, they'd have to make Samus, Zero Suit Samus and any Metroid stages smaller as well.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Something I'd like to point out about people's argument regarding Olimar. Olimar himself was not made bigger. His entire world was made bigger to fit to scale with all of the other characters in the game. Ridley is part of Metroid's world. So, the same thing does not really apply, because if so, then in order to make Ridley smaller, they'd have to make Samus, Zero Suit Samus and any Metroid stages smaller as well.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Better change that Usmash hitbox guys....

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Charizard says hi

Terrible excuse to not put in a character. Shows that he wasn't willing to at least try to see if it could work (but I guess he doesn't have the time and money that he whines about in every interview)

You know its rude to not say hi back
Your first and last reply are completely useless, but as long as you feel cool.

Charizard, all of his sprites (except the newest ones from x and y) have him grounded, and unlike Ridley, Charizard is much more often on the ground and fights there. Charizards main way of fighting is more his power and him flying actually is secondary (haha, just like his flying typing being secondary). With Ridley it is very different. He mainly flies and in two games (as far as I can remember) only fights completely on the ground after his wings are destroyed.

Also, I never said the reason he didn't put Ridley in the game was because he didn't want to shrink him, but the flying. I just mentioned the shrinking, because everybody is saying Sakurai said Ridley is too big, which is not the case, his size is not the reason (or at least not the only reason) why he is not playable.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Metroid really just needs another rep.

It's a popular enough series, maybe whenever the Wii U game comes out it'll introduce a character as a possible candidate.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace

It's a popular enough series, maybe whenever the Wii U game comes out it'll introduce a character as a possible candidate.
This. Since Ridley is technically dead, they can jump the shark and make an even smaller clone or a human ranged sized successor of the same species, that way people will finally shut the hell up about believing his size is the only important thing about him.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Because Ganon's moveset is so accurate to his games and Olimar's size is to scale.

Its really funny to hear Sakurai use the Ridley's too big argument.
I wish he'd just outright say that he didn't want to add Ridley instead of trying to make an excuse.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Because Ganon's moveset is so accurate to his games and Olimar's size is to scale.

I wish he'd just outright say that he didn't want to add Ridley instead of trying to make an excuse.
OoT Ganondorf had zero swords, and size is represented relatively in SSB.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace

To be fair the "too big" argument Is a more logical exuse to not put him in, that is to say that same logic is like saying the universe revolves around a flat earth.

Last edited:

Amarok

Smash Rookie
"Accurate portrayals" my ass

No character in Smash is an accurate portrayal. He already takes so much creative license with all these characters.

Amarok

Smash Rookie
Do you want Ridley to be a pre-teen pretty boy, or do you want him done right?
No. I'm just saying that Sakurai's excuse isn't valid when every character in Smash is way different than they are in their own games.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
OoT Ganondorf had zero swords, and size is represented relatively in SSB.
But he is using TP Dorf model. Who has a sword. And fights with it. And actually fights better then the Final Boss of Skyward Sword.

----------------------

Ridley can work. Sakurai basically just doesn't want him as a playable fighter in his Smash Bros games. Therefore we now have Ridley as a CPU only very close to a fighter boss in Pyrosphere. With dodge animations and character death explosions because why not.

His reasoning is pretty crappy IMO.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So this finally happened, huh? I wasn't expecting him to come out and say this.

I don't care about Ridley anymore, I'm not going to bother myself with the reasoning, but it was a BAD move on his part. If he knows how popular Ridley is, I'm pretty sure he also knew that a comment like that would definitely kick up a storm. That was honestly immature on his part.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So this finally happened, huh? I wasn't expecting him to come out and say this.

I don't care about Ridley anymore, I'm not going to bother myself with the reasoning, but it was a BAD move on his part. If he knows how popular Ridley is, I'm pretty sure he also knew that a comment like that would definitely kick up a storm. That was a bit immature on his part.
Are we really surprised though. Just look at the guy. The older he gets the younger he looks.

Shog

Smash Ace
INB4 Space Pirate is a new character for Metroid(what honestly would be kinda awesome)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh well, time for me to take Anthony Higgs more serious since he isn't as obscure as the other hunters.

Now if only we had a valid reason behind the lack of K. Rool. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of lacking "muh relevance".

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No. I'm just saying that Sakurai's excuse isn't valid when every character in Smash is way different than they are in their own games.
Ridley is the second-biggest thing in any game he appears in. The most important aspects of a character must be kept, don't you agree? Even with Brawl Pit Sakurai tried to stay very true to the source material, with the changes being for balancing and flavor.

But he is using TP Dorf model. Who has a sword. And fights with it. And actually fights better then the Final Boss of Skyward Sword.

----------------------

Ridley can work. Sakurai basically just doesn't want him as a playable fighter in his Smash Bros games. Therefore we now have Ridley as a CPU only very close to a fighter boss in Pyrosphere. With dodge animations and character death explosions because why not.
Old moveset is higher priority then a completely new one. Besides, if they gave Ganny the sage's sword now, what would they do if they gave him the katanas again in the next LoZ? He'd be stuck with an artifact of an old game. He fights with powerful dark magic fighting techniques, which makes sense having the Triforce of Power and all.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
"He'd have to be shrunk down"

*Looks at Bowser*

"He'd need the ability of flight"

*Looks at Charizard*

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Old moveset is higher priority then a completely new one. Besides, if they gave Ganny the sage's sword now, what would they do if they gave him the katanas again in the next LoZ? He'd be stuck with an artifact of an old game. He fights with powerful dark magic fighting techniques, which makes sense having the Triforce of Power and all.
Falcondorf will never disappear. What can happen though is a different Ganon as a playable character. We have 2 Links and 2 Zelda's with the Zelda's playing differently. You can keep Falcondorf and get a new playstyle. It's really that simple.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Are we really surprised though. Just look at the guy. The older he gets the younger he looks.
Well, even if he's supposedly an alien from another dimension, he should give a little thought to how the poor earthlings would react.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Falcondorf will never disappear. What can happen though is a different Ganon as a playable character. We have 2 Links and 2 Zelda's with the Zelda's playing differently. You can keep Falcondorf and get a new playstyle. It's really that simple.
Pig Ganon, nuff said.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"He'd have to be shrunk down"

*Looks at Bowser*

"He'd need the ability of flight"

*Looks at Charizard*

I'm getting tired of repeating myself...

Bowser was that big in three of the five games before Melee, and Charizard is usually depicted on the ground and having limited flight.

Okay, I agree, but what's this have to do with how accurate Ganondorf is now? He's a representative of current and future Ganondorfs.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I agree it should have another character, but there's hardly any notable choices that important to the series and are suitable to be a fighter, the closest choice we have is Dark Samus, but she's already an AT.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Okay, I agree, but what's this have to do with how accurate Ganondorf is now? He's a representative of current and future Ganondorfs.
I think it's because when all is said and done he is still a slower more powerful Captain Falcon. I think it's the lack of any magic outside of elemental effects that bothers most people. I think if they just made his Palm thrust have projectile reflecting properties people would be A ok with him.

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet
Ridley is only twice the size of Samus in Super Metroid, which is like the same thing that Bowser is compared to Mario in the original games (when your little Mario.)

If Bowser can fit so can Ridley!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom