• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@wildvine47: ...Link can jump. Zelda II and with the Roc's Feather/Roc's Cape, not counting ledges.

I agree, though. Smash is definitely not canon, and liberties should be taken.

lotad

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1006-0599-1229
I don't know what to think about this honestly. On one hand I never really cared for Ridley, so I'm not bothered by that part of the interview. However I am kinda bothered about the "accuracy" argument he brought up. Shulk has Monado Jump and Smash (Not to mention that his Monado arts don't function like that in Xenoblade), Ness has never been accurate and then the obvious Falcondorf. But eh, whatever. I'll get over it.
Well technically the monado conforms to the weilders will, so that means the monado could have an art for anything really, but I get what you're saying

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
You know when I would have settled it? Early in development. It would have been "bam, here's Ridley on the. Pyrosphere as a boss." And I'd explain why. If Sakurai had done that, we would have been spared a ton of grief in the long run.
This, right here. That's where all this stemmed from. Sakurai has basically confirmed that they never tried to make Ridley playable beyond the concept/"blueprint" stage, so there was no excuse to allow this mess to drag out as long as it did.

If he was 100% straightforward and showed clear as day that Ridley was completely deconfirmed back in April instead of screwing around with shadows and coyness, everyone would've been better off. Especially when confusion around other characters, like Chrom and several Assist Trophies, was swiftly corrected in every other circumstance. But again, Ridley's the exception to freaking everything, even clarity it seems.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
This thread is everything I hate about the smash fanbase.Nobody can't agree to disagree and then everybody start biting each other head off.The time between SSB4 being confirmed and coming out made me hate Ridley even though he is a awesome character.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ok let's make Peach a human with green skin and Marth the size of Bowser. After all, who gives a **** about actual canon, right?
It was an obvious joke. Don't take everything too seriously.

Besides, canon doesn't mean much comparing the canon Pokemon sizes. The Kirby characters too, you know, on top of Olimar as well. Stages are meant to take place in the game world, so it makes sense that all fighters are tiny on Pikmin stages. On the Nintendogs one?? Iunno, Sakurai mentioned that size does not truly matter in Smash Brothers.

lotad

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1006-0599-1229
I don't know what to think about this honestly. On one hand I never really cared for Ridley, so I'm not bothered by that part of the interview. However I am kinda bothered about the "accuracy" argument he brought up. Shulk has Monado Jump and Smash (Not to mention that his Monado arts don't function like that in Xenoblade), Ness has never been accurate and then the obvious Falcondorf. But eh, whatever. I'll get over it.
Well technically the monado conforms to the will of it's wielder, meaning if the wielder willed it, the monado could have a jump art or a smash art, but I understand what you mean.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Never liked Ridley, I'd be a sigh but play it cool guy if he got in.

April 8th I already knew he was deconfirmed and that was it. But the fanbase still speculated which I didn't understand and so detractors grew.

Half of my points on Ridley are the basis of what Sakurai said. And with Olimar's huminoid figure and Bowser's size not always being huge, (Super Mario Rpg's made Bowser a great small character for example, MaL: BIS is almost like his Smash 4 design) I understand the size concept he's gettin' at.

Seeing the whole situation I'm lovin' Sakurai for finally doing this. Even though I know it won't ease things up in the fanbase at least it'll add some medicine. Getting Charizard-Ridley Jokes/ anything purple = ridley, was really annoying especially in streams.

Just hope this eventually shuts both sides up. Hopefully...

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
guy's theres no reason to rub it in the loss of there characters is bad enough

also to ridley supportes you have to get over it other people have not gotten characters they have wanted in in some like k rool nothing more than a trophy take comfort in knowing ridleys featured more prominently than any other non playable.
last plese try to enjoy the wii u version friday this is a defining moment in smash history lets not let ridley's deconfirmation ruin that

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Sorta seems like he panicked and came up with the best excuse he could think of. You know, the usual Sakurai Routine.

None the less this was terrible timing, should have said it earlier.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I really don't understand the vitriol behind the whole argument here. It seems to me like this is just a case of hatred breeding hatred. Some supporter was mean to a detractor, so now the detractor is mean to all supporters. Some detractor was mean to some supporter, and now the supporter is mean to all detractors. The hurt detractors spawn more hurt supporters, the hurt supporters spawn more hurt detractors, and this escalates and escalates until we reach purely stupid proportions.

I wanted Ridley playable. I really did. I also wanted Mewtwo to be playable in Brawl, but he wasn't and I got over it. I wanted Shadow/Knuckles/Metal Sonic/Silver as alt skins for Sonic like Bowser Jr. Didn't get that either, but I got over it. I'll get over Ridley, too.

I do still think that Smash 4 would be a better game if Ridley had been a playable character in it. Obviously it would've required a bit of a redesign to make him look good at smaller sizes, but that's not a problem that is in any way exclusive to him. That said I can understand that Sakurai felt differently and in the end he's the one in charge of the game.

I DO think that he could've said something earlier, but he didn't and I'm not sure why. Maybe he figured that the shadow was enough. In all reality it should've been.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Besides, canon doesn't mean much comparing the canon Pokemon sizes. The Kirby characters too, you know, on top of Olimar as well. Stages are meant to take place in the game world, so it makes sense that all fighters are tiny on Pikmin stages. On the Nintendogs one?? Iunno, Sakurai mentioned that size does not truly matter in Smash Brothers.
Plus Little Mac is 5'7".

Shulk is 5'6".

Guess who's taller in Smash.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
You have problems with Sakurai's character selections because Ridley's not in the game? I have problems with bread because sometimes it's soggy.
Nope actually I have problems with his character selections because of his bias torwards Kid Icarus while games like Star Fox, DK, Earthboud, and Metroid have 2 reps. But like I said it's my only gripe.

I'd never wish him off his director chair for a few characters I like. I support the Ridley crowd but I ain't begging for his inclusion.

For the most part, it's mostly the wings that are the biggest problem for Ridley. Even if he's resized to a shorter height, those wings are still going to be larger than Charizard's wings.
I guess our only solution to that is in the next Metroid make Ridley Charizard sized! Then what will Sakurai say now! Haha

P.S SORRY for double post I thought I seen a comment after my previous one. My apologies.....>.<

Last edited by a moderator:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I guess it was never meant to be. Understandable that the way Sakurai gave a small idea that he would be either playable or boss only was his usual mind-games, but ever since April's Direct, it was a given he's just gonna be boss status anyways. But for a boss character though, he sure has a lot going for him. Obviously though, everyone isn't a fan of hazards in their gameplay, more or less competitive players.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would guess it's more development related than breaking canon, though it would push the bar quite a LOT regardless for what they probably would have had to do to make Ridley work.

So yeah, how about that Anthony Higgs guy? Been seeing some support for him...

I really don't understand the vitriol behind the whole argument here. It seems to me like this is just a case of hatred breeding hatred. Some supporter was mean to a detractor, so now the detractor is mean to all supporters. Some detractor was mean to some supporter, and now the supporter is mean to all detractors. The hurt detractors spawn more hurt supporters, the hurt supporters spawn more hurt detractors, and this escalates and escalates until we reach purely stupid proportions.
Have I ever mentioned that I hate the terms: Supporter/Detractor? It's just manipulating the language for what's really going on, which are fights between Fanboys & Trolls.

Granted there are reasonable people on both sides, but at the same time they either only added to the problem or were posting in a thread they shouldn't have posted in to begin with.

tldr: Internet Drama

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I'm still confused as to why people think that showing Ridley's shadow while saying "more bosses will appear" was unclear?? Like it's not like he was like "more Metroid characters will appear in the game in some capacity...", he showed Ridley along with the other boss characters. The reason why he didn't go in-depth was probably because Ridley wasn't finished yet. There was nothing unclear about it, people just read way too much into it.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
This, right here. That's where all this stemmed from. Sakurai has basically confirmed that they never tried to make Ridley playable beyond the concept/"blueprint" stage, so there was no excuse to allow this mess to drag out as long as it did.

If he was 100% straightforward and showed clear as day that Ridley was completely deconfirmed back in April instead of screwing around with shadows and coyness, everyone would've been better off. Especially when confusion around other characters, like Chrom and several Assist Trophies, was swiftly corrected in every other circumstance. But again, Ridley's the exception to freaking everything, even clarity it seems.
Kinda unfair to blame him for that. The direct was hardly leading you on

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whelp. Guess I just can't catch a break, now with seeing some stating their newfound hatred for the dragon for no other reason than all the arguing or claiming he's tearing a portion of the community itself apart (which wouldn't exist right now if Sakurai had handled the situation in any other way than he did like pulling the plug once and for all much earlier than a couple days prior to Smash Wii U's release).

Good thing I stopped caring about the schism long ago. Now it's just funny seeing a lot of the comments here, even from the users banned earlier that were just here to gloat, especially that fella one who claimed those who supported Ridley weren't real Metroid fans. Oh lawdy.

@ --- --- I hate fanboy because it's a derogatory term. Supporters/detractors works just fine (and to be fair, not everyone who didn't want him playable were trolls either, so another reason I disagree with your choice of words in naming the two sides).

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
That was painful to read. Some people are outright malicious...

Does Ridley's deconfirmation disappoint me? Yes, it does. Will I not get Smash because of it? No, because I got a bunch of other characters I wanted.

I'm all for Ridley but what's with this stupid "Detractor/Supporter" crap? Why can't people accept some want him in, and some don't?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That was painful to read. Some people are outright malicious...

Does Ridley's deconfirmation disappoint me? Yes, it does. Will I not get Smash because of it? No, because I got a bunch of other characters I wanted.

I'm all for Ridley but what's with this stupid "Detractor/Supporter" crap? Why can't people accept some want him in, and some don't?
In this sad world, ones that don't want what someone else want is automatically the **** eater, pardon my language. I wish the Detractor/Supporter crap would be dropped

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The fact we saw a far smaller Ridley in Melee's intro is where an issue comes up. He clearly can downsize him. I can see how having a flying character would be unbalanced, though. Not that he couldn't work as a fighter in general, he just couldn't be properly balanced as is. Which is an issue, indeed.
It's worth nothing Melee's FMV was slapped together just so Ninty could boast about FMVs. I've been told it was completely outsourced.

Yeesh, this is a mess...

I will say that the size argument's kinda dumb, in my opinion. Mainly because of the inconsistency with Olimar. I mean, yeah, I hear people say "there's no one to compare Olimar's size with," but that's wrong.

But alas, maybe a Villager-esque change of heart can happen down the line. Though I'm just hoping for something like that for Chrom.

That being said, schadenfreude is infraction worthy, people. Just reiterating.
"The Two Captains"... Ring some bells? Sakurai covered the issue in Olimar's intro in SSE. But then again, the issue is about relative size. Ridley was always the second-largest thing in the game, outside a retcon'd NES entry. His size is indeed a part of his character, but it doesn't have to be a specific size outside of "huge." If games featuring small Ridleys somehow become common then size will no longer be an issue.

I'll be honest, I didn't come to argue with either of you, but I simply can't leave flawed logic be.

Rather, I wanted say that I'm a complete pessimist. I didn't think Ridley would ever get in. Or Mac, or Megaman, or Shulk, or Palutena and freaking Dark Pit. I didn't think there would be any DLC whatsoever, and I still don't after Sakurai's sneaky comments. I don't care for Ridley whatsoever, but I do want to avoid massive amounts of buthurt and disappointment. Like in all situations, I wanted to inject a bit of doubt to trim expectations. I'm sorry I was right, okay? And I mean it in the kindest possible way. I just hope Ridley fans and Smash fans in general will understand that expectations lead to disappointment when looking forward.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In this sad world, ones that don't want what someone else want is automatically the **** eater, pardon my language. I wish the Detractor/Supporter crap would be dropped
In the grand scheme of things, I wish it would be too, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Honestly, I want Ridley as a fighter, but I agree.

When it comes to Roidley.

Roidley would not look right being scaled down (then again, I don't think Roidley looks right at all, and think it's an ugly-ass design and I would've preferred they stick to the Metroid Prime design even for him as a boss...). But there are other designs of Ridley from Metroid's history that would work much better. The design in Melee's intro does not look ridiculous, does not look very "not like Ridley" and is perfectly reasonably sized for a Smash fighter. But it's based on the SNES design.

Fact is that they could make a Ridley design that works at the proper size, looks good and looks like Ridley. It just couldn't be directly based on the last couple iterations of Ridley, and would probably require some changes even from classic Ridley design.

Smash 4 seems to be all about muh recency, so it makes sense if they just had to do Other M Ridley, he wouldn't be playable.

He seems to be uninterested in finding a way to make Ridley fit if it means disregarding the latest iteration of Metroid.

Just as Ganondorf must reflect his most recent appearance from Twilight Princess, rather than an older iteration or some kind of original synthesis of his various appearances. Maybe Ganondorf will finally get a real overhaul and a more fitting move set when the next Zelda has a new Ganondorf design.

Anyway, basically, I still think Ridley can work. It just requires either a new Metroid game with a better Ridley design or them to come up with a design based off of older Ridley designs. And the latter seems unlikely.

So I wouldn't get my hopes again unless the next Metroid has a very Smash-worthy Ridley in it.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received

Full gif this was taken from: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131226221748/metroid/images/7/72/IbcYy5BfP7VtMc.gif

These two images are both canon from the SAME DAMN GAME. Note that the morph ball barely would fit in Ridley's mouth in the first gif, whereas Samus's entire body fits in his mouth in the second. Ridley changing size IS canon, even in the Metroid series proper, whether your smarmy *** wants to accept it or not.

In canon, Olimar is the size of ROB's eye socket. In Smash Bros he's half the size of the entire robot. The idea isn't "**** canon", it's that canon is lenient in Smash Bros. The idea is to keep the character's spirit intact (which for Ridley has no bearing on size), but tiny little details, such as relative size of characters (Like Olimar or Bowser) or the specific extents of their abilities (Like Sonic or Mewtwo). Canonicity to the original series is a factor in Smash Bros. But it's not the be-all end-all. After all, Smash lets OoT/TP Link jump. You want to complain about that one next?
For the record, I don't care if Ridley is in Smash. But if Sakurai has a explanation as to why he's not in Smash, then I'm going to accept it. Look Ridley fanboy, you got EtikaWorldNetwork, who is a HUGE Ridley fan (almost as big as Ridley himself) who accepts Ridley's inclusion as a stage boss openly. Be like him. Would you rather him be a lowly trophy or music track instead? No? Shut your ****ing mouth.

I hate Ridley fans in denial and think he has a chance even after he's deconfirmed TWICE. One last year, once earlier this year. If you're a Ridley fan, I don't care. If you're a Ridley fan in denial, I will give you hell for giving the rest of us hell.

At the same time he wants characters to be as true as possible to their original selves. I wish Pikachu and Jigglypuff could've been scaled down, they look unnaturally big. Sakurai knows better than all of you. Listen to the man who's giving you endless hours of fun since 1999.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Ridley flying and being mostly airborne I think is the real problem of him not being playable, look at the koopa clown car, it's low on the ground and not in the air like we see in all the Mario games. So for them to make Ridley playable they will have to put him on the ground and that may not look right to many people that are fans of the character.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'm still confused as to why people think that showing Ridley's shadow while saying "more bosses will appear" was unclear?? Like it's not like he was like "more Metroid characters will appear in the game in some capacity...", he showed Ridley along with the other boss characters. The reason why he didn't go in-depth was probably because Ridley wasn't finished yet. There was nothing unclear about it, people just read way too much into it.
I'm in full agreement with you on this, when I had first seen that direct live and watched up to that point, there was nothing confusing to me about the way it was presented. Of course, people are always free to speculate and ponder whether he was going to be playable even after this, but really, within the context of that video, it should have been deconfirmation of Ridley being playable for most, but that was obviously not the case, and as a result we have several very unhappy fans who were strong supporters of him when I honestly think all the evidence was always there as of that video, yet people claim Sakurai was trolling us and whatnot, when in reality we set our hopes too high.

I, too, believe Ridley, at that point in time, was still very incomplete and not yet ready to have been shown off due to the amount of stuff they implemented for him, which is why he had an entire segment dedicated to him in the 50 fact video closer to release. Again, I do not believe this was Sakurai's way of giving fans of the Metroid series a middle finger, but rather because the stage in general until recently had been very vague in exactly how it worked that it was a great chance to show off all the work they put into it.

I'm really happy with the way the whole thing was handled honestly.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
At the same time he wants characters to be as true as possible to their original selves. I wish Pikachu and Jigglypuff could've been scaled down, they look unnaturally big. Sakurai knows better than all of you. Listen to the man who's giving you endless hours of fun since 1999.
The issue with Ridley wasn't size, it was whether Sakurai felt he could do him justice as a playable character. Fact of the matter is that he thinks he's not able to do that due to the removal of Ridley's endless flight and lowering of his threatening factor (I mean Ridley with bunny ears isn't something that'd boost his scary meter). He wants to portray the characters as accurately as possible, so he figures his idea of a playable Ridley doesn't do the character justice.

Of course, Smash Brothers is a crossover where you play as trophy incarnations of each character. It makes sense that size canon isn't as forcefully applied, especially when you put Dedede (3') next to Little Mac (5'7) because they're just trophies based on the characters. The size comparison doesn't need to be completely accurate. So nobody really is too big or too small, they just need to look right.
and if you ask me ridley could look right
but sakurai probably just couldnt think of a way
to balance ridley's flying capablities
with his size successfully,

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Sakurai on Ridley: "Shrinking him down wouldn't be true to his character and makes him less threatening"

Sakurai on Ganondorf: "I wan't an evil version of Captian Falcon's moveset in this game and I'm too lazy to at least have Ganondorf use a sword."

Im so f****** tired of this guy contradicting himself, just retire and let someone else take this frachise in a new route. He cleary dosnt wan't anything to do with this franchise and every interview since the 3ds release has him sound like a pessimistic ass.

If you cant put Ridley in, then just accept that Metroid has nothing left to offer in representaion since weve gotten the same damn thing with that series in Smash. (Lava Stage, Ridley as a Boss why not both!!!)

And don't start crap with Ridley fans cause the haters have been way more ****ing annoying since his legit deconfirmation and still are.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's an excuse but whatever, if he doesn't want to, so be it. It's not like he never changed idea for a character before (Villager?).
The teasing though was pathetic and completely anti-consumer. Surprised Nintendo would go that route to be honest, there was absolutely no point other than **** on every Metroid fan's head.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
Mmm, I cannot swallow this reasoning.

I would suspect it's moreso the fact that Ridley may have been a nightmare to program/balance (perhaps they tried to make him playable, who knows). Iirc, this might have been an issue in Brawl as well. If this is the case though, then what about other large characters such as Porky in is mech? Looks like such characters may be a problem too.

But, if his reasoning is true, then what irks me the most is that Sakurai himself arbitrarily decided that shrinking Ridley down wouldn't make him "Ridley" and accurately portray him (never mind the fact that Ridley's designs haven't been consistent in past Metroid games). As far as I could tell, the people that wanted Ridley in didn't care if he were to be smaller; Ridley would still be a fearsome monster, and a great choice with potential to be an interesting fighter. Imo, there are other ways to make a character threatening other than making him "large". All you need is some creativity, and SHAZAM! Give him some vicious attacks, menacing roaring taunts, and victory screen animations that will make any adult cry for their mommy.

But I digress.

I know I'm jumping the gun, but character speculation for the next Smash installment will be interesting, to say the least... ah ha.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Ridley is easily the most divisive character in the Smash community, that's probably why Sakurai didn't add him. No matter what he chooses, half the fans wouldn't like it, so he chose the path that costs less development time.

The problem I think isn't that Ridley is too big, but that people won't shut up about Ridley being too big.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
The issue with Ridley wasn't size, it was whether Sakurai felt he could do him justice as a playable character. Fact of the matter is that he thinks he's not able to do that due to the removal of Ridley's endless flight and lowering of his threatening factor (I mean Ridley with bunny ears isn't something that'd boost his scary meter). He wants to portray the characters as accurately as possible, so he figures his idea of a playable Ridley doesn't do the character justice.

Of course, Smash Brothers is a crossover where you play as trophy incarnations of each character. It makes sense that size canon isn't as forcefully applied, especially when you put Dedede (3') next to Little Mac (5'7) because they're just trophies based on the characters. The size comparison doesn't need to be completely accurate. So nobody really is too big or too small, they just need to look right.
and if you ask me ridley could look right
but sakurai probably just couldnt think of a way
to balance ridley's flying capablities
with his size successfully,
Ok well these are trophies that live in a different universe. You know the concept of children's toys fighting has been abandoned, right?

And why are you accusing me of double posting?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ok well these are trophies that live in a different universe. You know the concept of children's toys fighting has been abandoned, right?
The concept evolved into them being trophies. Brawl's story mode was completely focused on that concept, even referring to the world as: "The World of Trophies". The fact that the fighters revert back to trophies at the end of Classic and All-Star doesn't mean it's left this game's "canon".
And why are you accusing me of double posting?
Because you did double post.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I figured as much. Me and Sakurai will simply never see eye to eye on the matter, that much I've accepted, I could make a huge post with counter-arguments, but let's get real, it'd do absolutely no good, I'm tired of discussing the subject and it's all in vain anyways, it never creates anything but a bunch of negativity. It's really quite funny though, people were constantly mocking too-biggots and the relevancy police, bringing up the inclusions of Olimar and Diddy in Brawl as counter-arguments, but it turns out they were right all along, Sakurai really has put up those limits, I guess people just didn't want to hear it.

Either way, now that this is out I'll be happy to finally put a wrap on this Ridley nightmare. I don't regret having supported him, I still firmly believe that Ridley should have been playable back in Brawl, he was imo the last Nintendo icon that was missing from the game. It's just my kind of rotten luck that I get one opportunity to be able to play as my favorite Nintendo character in an actually great game, and then he's the one who gets singled out by this argument. No matter though, one day Sakurai won't work on the franchise anymore, it's only a matter of time before someone with the ability to represent Ridley steps up, I'll gladly wait so many years for that opportunity, until then I have no reason to jump back on a pre-release hype train again, it'll likely just end up being the same complete disaster on the Ridley front until then.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not even a fan of Ridley and I feel like Sakurai is using flawed logic here.
Though I do wish he would have shed light on why some other important characters were not included...

D

Deleted member 245254

Honestly this sort of makes all of the #toobigot nonsense that sprung up in the original thread seem so much more offensive, and is pretty indicative of how blind and anal retentive many were being about the "teasing" of Ridley. Turns out that was the reason, and whether you believe it to be logical or not I really hope there are a great deal of folks out there from the Ridley thread eating humble pie right now.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Honestly this sort of makes all of the #toobigot nonsense that sprung up in the original thread seem so much more offensive, and is pretty indicative of how blind and anal retentive many were being about the "teasing" of Ridley. Turns out that was the reason, and whether you believe it to be logical or not I really hope there are a great deal of folks out there from the Ridley thread eating humble pie right now.
Sakurai is a too-bigot. That's actually the only thing we learned with this article.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I hope the speculation scene for Smash 5 doesn't include Ridley... because I don't want to deal with his fanbase anymore. King K Rool will be the poster boy for Smash 5.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering the opposite had worse names...

Everyone should have been served humble pie imo. That's the real stinger.

One side won.

I hope the speculation scene for Smash 5 doesn't include Ridley... because I don't want to deal with his fanbase anymore. King K Rool will be the poster boy for Smash 5.
Fanbases improve.

Ridley most likely won't have a big one next time but don't shut out a whole group of people just because of some rotten eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom