• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
part of me just wants ridley in the game so we can stop talking about him

its very silly to want sakurai replaced for ONE character (plus what if the new directer also doesn't put ridley in the game or ridleys in under new directer but the whole game is terrible)\

plus ridley as a non playable kinda tradition now (5 games and counting)

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I think Sakurai is an awesome director and could never truly say anything bad about what he's done for the Smash series. My one and only problem with him was always his character selections.

I see where he's coming from but people wouldn't care if he was scaled down in size with his wings closed. That's what final smashes are for! He could be his actual size for his FS. He wings could even open a little for his recover. Owell though. It is what it is. Metroid still needs another rep.
You have problems with Sakurai's character selections because Ridley's not in the game? I have problems with bread because sometimes it's soggy.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
While I can see merit in Sakurai's logic, I simply can't take him seriously on it given how he dissregards it on so many aspects. Its like "Well, very few of the characters Ive put in the game are actually true to their origin game, but Ridley? Nope, no chance". Ridley doesn't have a consistent body size or features, in half of his games the wings are comicaly small, in two games his neck is "normal", in one game he is a gorilla with wings.

Sure, the small characters scale up nicely, but they are technically not being true renditions. Characters like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Fox, Rosalina, and others are loosely based on an concept or idea of the character, or the game itself for that matter, but not much more than that. I understand where Sakurai is coming from, he believes, and he might be right, that Ridley could look out of place in the playable roster, but I feel it would be a good compromise to make fans happy once and for all, considering all the exceptions he makes and has made for every other character.

And I can't say that the stage boss on Pyrosphere is particulary faithfull to the Other M figth, or the character in general. I want to do a couple of rounds on that stage to get a good idea of what he does, but based on what I saw, his wings don't seem to do much, ironically; most of his attacks seem to be grounded (so he isn't using his ability to flight too much), and the concept of zapping energy from those tubes is completely made up. Never mind the whole "punch him twice to make him your ally" thing he does in this game which quite out of character. Amusingly, when people thought Ridley would grab people in mid-air through the infamous shadow analysis, that was actually as close as the real character as it could get.

I know this is going to sound like the typical butthurt fanboy rant, but I definitely think Sakurai is not quite as invested in the Metroid series as he is with his favorite ones. Sure, Samus' render is based of a panel from the obscure manga, outside of that, in all Smash games, none of the stages where based on an actual location, they were random pieces of assets clobbed together to form a hostile place. He ignored the entire Metroid Prime sountrack save for three tunes that are remixes of SM. Trophies dont even have correct info. He seems to know enough about the series, but it looks like he does tend to cut corners with it quite often here and there.

Did Sakurai experiment with him as playable prototype or simply was set as a boss from day 0 with no second thoughts? I'd figure an "agressive" playstyle and animations could do wonders for him even if he wasn't massive. The flight issue makes sense to me, but a Peach-like hover coupled with loads of floatiness would make sense.
I do think though, that Other M Ridley is really ugly looking and wouldn't fit with the rest of the cast despite his humanoid anatomy, which is why Ive always liked his Brawl rendition, that looks more expressive and cartoony and would fit much better than whatever Sakamoto came up with.

I do feel quite frustrated with this, but its not going to make me quit Smash or something like that. I will voice my disscomfort with his decision, say, on Club Nintendo surveys or ocasional social media posts that Sakurai can see somehow (and I suggest fans to do the same, in the perhaps naive/foolish hope he can change his mind), but thats about it. Ridley is the only character I want to see in the game, based on the "character" alone, regardless of his hypotetical gameplay (well, I expect a suppossedly brilliant developer to do magic with this character anyway), so it does kind of hurts my excitement just a bit, but I still can't wait to play this game, Im really desperate to get my hands on this.
If a new developer could guarantee Ridley's presence and still being able to deliver a fresh Smash game, I wouldn't be opposed honestly. But before asking for Sakurai's head, I want to see if the one thing that matters most was well done and doesn't bore me to death in a few days.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to do this whole thing and speculate like crazy once again 6 years from now :laugh:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
You have problems with Sakurai's character selections because Ridley's not in the game? I have problems with bread because sometimes it's soggy.
You need to get a different piece of bread, then. Preferably one that isn't soggy.

Maybe that's bad logic though, since I don't really think that Sakurai needs to be replaced over one character, nor do I think that his talent is as easily replaceable as some people here want to claim.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
You need to get a different piece of bread, then. Preferably one that isn't soggy.

Maybe that's bad logic though, since I don't really think that Sakurai needs to be replaced over one character, nor do I think that his talent is as easily replaceable as some people here want to claim.
It took me a while to think of a response to this, so I'm just going to like the post instead.

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet

exactly smash bros needs daddy sakurai as much as we hate our dad at times dad loves use and provides for us

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Quadrupedal Stance

I kept saying it. It was an applicable solution. The stance is not alien to Ridley, having assumed it AND battled this way in three Metroid games.

Being on all fours allows Ridley more space to be at an acceptable size (though this is assuming a version of Ridley that isn't the Other M clone a.k.a. "Gorilla Ridley"). I found it unfortunate I could convince few people of this. Everyone was so focused on a bipedal Ridley despite the fact that it's actually more restricting.

And I'm of one to disagree with the idea that Ridley's size attributed to his menacing. Not when in Super Metroid he was only the 3rd smallest boss (Botwoon being the smallest and Phantoon arguably being similar sized). Not when future games inflated his size and sacrificed agility and actual danger in the process.

I think those who genuinely believe a sweet spot doesn't exist for a respectably playable size AND vicious skill set are selling Ridley himself too short. The only times Ridley has actually used his size to any real advantage was for grabbing Samus. Out of those scarce situations, Ridley only truly becomes dangerous during cutscenes! On the gameplay end, a grab from Ridley hardly constituted much damage, and the action is quickly shrugged off in order to deal with his other weapons of choice: tails and fireballs. And he can use those to tremendous effect, neither requiring size to make him intimidating.

Oh, speaking of which, somebody tell me why Ridley in Smash Bros. HAS to become "Meta-Ridley" in order to actually spew his trademark plasma spheres?? How is that staying true to Ridley's character?

In fact, how is slowly hovering around staying true to Ridley's character?! As a Subspace Emissary boss Ridley was at least allowed to maximize his aerial ability and fight viciously. It wasn't perfect in my opinion, but it wasn't bad either. Now we're getting this much slower, awkward version of Ridley, and I see people proverbially patting Sakurai on the back for what I see is a WORSE version of Ridley! I can excuse the people who've hardly played or even touch Metroid, but those who claim to be Ridley fans and completely approve of this take on the infamous pirate dragon just leave me scratching my head.

What I think is that there are varying views on how Ridley should be portrayed, but the whole picture needs to be grasped. Again, Ridley has proved himself extremely vicious without the need to flaunt it with his size. It's also been shown that a "huge" Ridley isn't necessarily the best Ridley.

Look at my avatar. LOOK AT IT!! What is Ridley holding? Two full-grown adults. Does he look HUGE in that picture? Not at all. Does he look threatening? Intimidating? YOU BETCHA.

One more thing: There's actually another issue that's unfortunately not addressable: The fact that, with Brawl, Samus was made taller in order to accommodate Zero Suit Samus. So yep... Sakurai's decision to make ZSS a fighter sort of contributes to a belief that Ridley can't be portrayed accurately if made a fighter.

So yeah. I don't buy what Sakurai is selling. I never bought the "Too Big" argument. I don't know what creative wall Sakurai goes up against when contemplating Ridley, but I won't let him convince me that Ridley can't be properly portrayed and be a playable fighter. It's all just too much up to the person with power.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As a huge fan of the Metroid franchise, of Nintendo and Smash, of huge purple space dragons everywhere, and the idea that being big is actually a plus side...I am disappointed. But at least Sakurai gave a reasoning behind it and hopefully he stands by it instead of flip-flopping as he does. The reason I say this because it would feel like a cheap blow to have Ridley in a later game when he could of easily bee included now....kind of like the Villager's predicament. Not that I feel we owe Sakurai or we should feel grateful but I've decided to look at this decision as the glass half full and hopefully learn from it. At this point, I am done resisting and just going to swallow the bitter medicine in that something that I have really wished for since Melee probably won't ever happen. And if people get their jollies over something like that, they really need to learn a lesson in grace and compassion. Same goes for those who attack people who just don't like Ridley or want him playable.

I REALLY hate the amount of trolling/flaming that is done from all sides. It is really unbecoming of the Smash community and really doesn't do anything but further divide fans. I also hate dreading Ridley topics/threads as I generally love the character. It's becoming to the point that I actually hate the character when it comes to discussing him and his connection to Smash Bros. cause either you have fans who are so passionate that they view Sakurai/detractors as the devil or you have detractors who constantly throw the "delicious tears comments" as if it's a positive thing. Then you have those who are just in the middle and don't any part of it thus making the two radical sides the most visible groups. Thus turning EVERYONE off to Ridley; supporters, detractors, and everyone in between. That is NOT a good thing for ANY character and those at fault with it isn't Sakurai, Nintendo, or either side....it's all of us.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
While I can see merit in Sakurai's logic, I simply can't take him seriously on it given how he dissregards it on so many aspects. Its like "Well, very few of the characters Ive put in the game are actually true to their origin game, but Ridley? Nope, no chance". Ridley doesn't have a consistent body size or features, in half of his games the wings are comicaly small, in two games his neck is "normal", in one game he is a gorilla with wings.

Sure, the small characters scale up nicely, but they are technically not being true renditions. Characters like Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Fox, Rosalina, and others are loosely based on an concept or idea of the character, or the game itself for that matter, but not much more than that. I understand where Sakurai is coming from, he believes, and he might be right, that Ridley could look out of place in the playable roster, but I feel it would be a good compromise to make fans happy once and for all, considering all the exceptions he makes and has made for every other character.

And I can't say that the stage boss on Pyrosphere is particulary faithfull to the Other M figth, or the character in general. I want to do a couple of rounds on that stage to get a good idea of what he does, but based on what I saw, his wings don't seem to do much, ironically; most of his attacks seem to be grounded (so he isn't using his ability to flight too much), and the concept of zapping energy from those tubes is completely made up. Never mind the whole "punch him twice to make him your ally" thing he does in this game which quite out of character. Amusingly, when people thought Ridley would grab people in mid-air through the infamous shadow analysis, that was actually as close as the real character as it could get.

I know this is going to sound like the typical butthurt fanboy rant, but I definitely think Sakurai is not quite as invested in the Metroid series as he is with his favorite ones. Sure, Samus' render is based of a panel from the obscure manga, outside of that, in all Smash games, none of the stages where based on an actual location, they were random pieces of assets clobbed together to form a hostile place. He ignored the entire Metroid Prime sountrack save for three tunes that are remixes of SM. Trophies dont even have correct info. He seems to know enough about the series, but it looks like he does tend to cut corners with it quite often here and there.

Did Sakurai experiment with him as playable prototype or simply was set as a boss from day 0 with no second thoughts? I'd figure an "agressive" playstyle and animations could do wonders for him even if he wasn't massive. The flight issue makes sense to me, but a Peach-like hover coupled with loads of floatiness would make sense.
I do think though, that Other M Ridley is really ugly looking and wouldn't fit with the rest of the cast despite his humanoid anatomy, which is why Ive always liked his Brawl rendition, that looks more expressive and cartoony and would fit much better than whatever Sakamoto came up with.

I do feel quite frustrated with this, but its not going to make me quit Smash or something like that. I will voice my disscomfort with his decision, say, on Club Nintendo surveys or ocasional social media posts that Sakurai can see somehow (and I suggest fans to do the same, in the perhaps naive/foolish hope he can change his mind), but thats about it. Ridley is the only character I want to see in the game, based on the "character" alone, regardless of his hypotetical gameplay (well, I expect a suppossedly brilliant developer to do magic with this character anyway), so it does kind of hurts my excitement just a bit, but I still can't wait to play this game, Im really desperate to get my hands on this.
If a new developer could guarantee Ridley's presence and still being able to deliver a fresh Smash game, I wouldn't be opposed honestly. But before asking for Sakurai's head, I want to see if the one thing that matters most was well done and doesn't bore me to death in a few days.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to do this whole thing and speculate like crazy once again 6 years from now :laugh:
Completely.

I would have loved Ridley, but it looks like he'll never be in now. This is another one of those things Sakurai says that you can take so hypocritically - didn't he also say that he likes Ganondorf's moveset even though it's not at all what he's like in the Zelda games, and therefore we're never getting something like the Ganonorf from HW? What makes it ok to have a Ganondorf who is so far divorced from his character in the game (or any of the others who had movesets pulled out of thin air for them :4falcon::4falco::4fox::4greninja::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:) but for Ridley it's impossible. I don't get that.

And since the size argument is coming up again, Kirby and Olimar are a few inches tall in their series. Palutena can become gigantic (just compare her head to Pit's in SSB). Pikachu is only a foot tall. All of them got changed. Next argument.

I'm not going to go around calling for his resignation because of one character, but I do think he should look at things again. When you're admitting that a lot of people want something and you just don't feel like it because of reasons you don't hold anyone else to, it makes you look silly.

I guess I can still hope for :wolf::squirtle::ivysaur: to come back...

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
Quadrupedal Stance

I kept saying it. It was an applicable solution. The stance is not alien to Ridley, having assumed it AND battled this way in three Metroid games.

Being on all fours allows Ridley more space to be at an acceptable size (though this is assuming a version of Ridley that isn't the Other M clone a.k.a. "Gorilla Ridley").

And I'm of one to disagree with the idea that Ridley's size attributed to his menacing. Not when in Super Metroid he was only the 3rd smallest boss (Botwoon being the smallest and Phantoon arguably being similar sized). Not when future games inflated his size and sacrificed agility and actual danger in the process.

I think those who genuinely believe a sweet spot doesn't exist for a respectably playable size AND vicious skill set are selling Ridley himself too short. The only times Ridley has actually used his size to any real advantage was for grabbing Samus. Out of those scarce situations, Ridley only truly becomes dangerous during cutscenes! On the gameplay end, a grab from Ridley hardly constituted much damage, and the action is quickly shrugged off in order to deal with his other weapons of choice: tails and fireballs. And he can use those to tremendous effect, neither requiring size to make him intimidating.

Oh, speaking of which, somebody tell me why Ridley in Smash Bros. HAS to become "Meta-Ridley" in order to actually spew his trademark plasma spheres?? How is that staying true to Ridley's character?

In fact, how is slowly hovering around staying true to Ridley's character?! As a Subspace Emissary boss Ridley was at least allowed to maximize his aerial ability and fight viciously. It wasn't perfect in my opinion, but it wasn't bad either. Now we're getting this much slower, awkward version of Ridley, and I see people proverbially patting Sakurai on the back for what I see is a WORSE version of Ridley! I can excuse the people who've hardly played or even touch Metroid, but those who claim to be Ridley fans and completely approve of this take on the infamous pirate dragon just leave me scratching my head.

What I think is that there are varying views on how Ridley should be portrayed, but the whole picture needs to be grasped. Again, Ridley has proved himself extremely vicious without the need to flaunt it with his size. It's also been shown that a "huge" Ridley isn't necessarily the best Ridley.

Look at my avatar. LOOK AT IT!! What is Ridley holding? Two full-grown adults. Does he look HUGE in that picture? Not at all. Does he look threatening? Intimidating? YOU BETCHA.

One more thing: There's actually another issue that's unfortunately not addressable: The fact that, with Brawl, Samus was made taller in order to accommodate Zero Suit Samus. So yep... Sakurai's decision to make ZSS a fighter sort of contributes to a belief that Ridley can't be portrayed accurately if made a fighter.

So yeah. I don't buy what Sakurai is selling. I never bought the "Too Big" argument. I don't know what creative wall Sakurai goes up against when contemplating Ridley, but I won't let him convince me that Ridley can't be properly portrayed and be a playable fighter. It's all just too much up to the person with power.
BUT the big question is would you rather sakurai be replaced for this one character

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I REALLY hate the amount of trolling/flaming that is done from all sides. It is really unbecoming of the Smash community and really doesn't do anything but further divide fans. I also hate dreading Ridley topics/threads as I generally love the character. It's becoming to the point that I actually hate the character when it comes to discussing him and his connection to Smash Bros. cause either you have fans who are so passionate that they view Sakurai/detractors as the devil or you have detractors who constantly throw the "delicious tears comments" as if it's a positive thing. Then you have those who are just in the middle and don't any part of it thus making the two radical sides the most visible groups. Thus turning EVERYONE off to Ridley; supporters, detractors, and everyone in between. That is NOT a good thing for ANY character and those at fault with it isn't Sakurai, Nintendo, or either side....it's all of us.

This a thousand times. The hostility that pops up over Ridley is absolutely ridiculous, and it's frankly embarrassing to the whole community.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
What makes it ok to have a Ganondorf who is so far divorced from his character in the game (or any of the others who had movesets pulled out of thin air for them :4falcon::4falco::4fox::4greninja::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:) but for Ridley it's impossible. I don't get that.
captain falcon I'll give you, and fox/falco's up b moves, but the rest are great movesets for those characters that reflect either those characters, or their games, very well...

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
Uh... the heck? Why are you trying to distract from the points of my post?
sorry thats not my intention you make valid point some of wich i agree with ridley could be playable it comes to sakurais personal choice

but still intrested in my original question is ridley more important than sakurai

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
...it's not like we're asking for Kraid...

Anyway, I can see what some of you, and Sakurai, are saying about being true to the character. Maybe he'll surprise us for smash5 with characters who are always aerial? I don't know how it would work, but maybe existing characters would be given their ability to hover: Ganondorf, Mewtwo, etc. I mean, look at what he managed to do for Peach in Melee, he'll find a way one day.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Boss Ridley is best Ridley.

Despite personally wanting Ridley to be playable, I think Sakurai's reasoning is fine and I can respect his decision. Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros would be very, very difficult to get right and constitute a skewed representation of Ridley as he is in the Metroid games.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Boss Ridley is best Ridley.

Despite personally wanting Ridley to be playable, I think Sakurai's reasoning is fine and I can respect his decision. Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros would be very, very difficult to get right and constitute a skewed representation of Ridley as he is in the Metroid games.
I agree

A little shocked one reason is he said hes too big

But the part on the balance requirement is so big it will crash the game everytime

And that its impossible to mix playable and the flight mechanic

Thats good enough for me

So from here on out just hope project m adds him before that gets the R.I.P in 2015

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread is everything I hate about the Smash community.

People who can't let people have different opinions. You bash either Sakurai for disagreeing you or you bash people who don't agree with Sakurai.

People like you have made me want to leave the fanbase entirely.

This is absolutely ludicrous.

The amount of venom surrounding him made me loathe Ridley.

Thing is, Ridley is still a cool character and I still think he can work in Smash with some imagination. You all just made him unpleasant for me.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
The point is that daddy Sakurai said Ridley is too damn big to be in the game, while in reality Olimar is only centimeters tall, making him too damn small to be in the game. If they enlarged Olimar, why can't they shrink Ridley? Sakurai is contradicting himself when he says he stays true to the characters' source material and does want to bend them out of shape, for a lack of a better term, to be in the game, when they enlarged Olimar more than they would have to shrink Ridley.

Your post just proved how Sakurai contradicts himself, and proved the point of us "butthurt" Ridley fans. Maybe there should be a Godzilla city-based level, so everyone can fight Ridley.

"Explain Distant Planet and Garden of Hope."... I would love for Sakurai to do that after this whole Ridley explanation.
Ok let's make Peach a human with green skin and Marth the size of Bowser. After all, who gives a **** about actual canon, right?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok let's make Peach a human with green skin and Marth the size of Bowser. After all, who gives a **** about actual canon, right?
You know you can just agree to disagree without insulting anyone, right?

Is that so hard?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
*sigh* I read this and really felt bad for the Ridley supporters. I may not be a Metroid fan, but I understand how they felt for their character....
My condolences.

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet

People who can't let people have different opinions. You bash either Sakurai for disagreeing you or you bash people who don't agree with Sakurai.

Thing is, Ridley is still a cool character and I still think he can work in Smash with some imagination. You all just made him unpleasant for me.
I feel the same way have no problem with ridley i also don't have a problem with ridley supporters im just salty about the whole situation

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel the same way have no problem with ridley i also don't have a problem with ridley supporters im just salty about the whole situation
Same. The fanbase was actually the reason why I dreaded Sakurai commenting on Ridley... Even then, it's not his fault.

At the very least though.

He could have picked better timing.

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
Same. The fanbase was actually the reason why I dreaded Sakurai commenting on Ridley... Even then, it's not his fault.

well better to get it out the way know then just worry about enjoying the game tomorrow at midnight

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well better to get it out the way know then just worry about enjoying the game tomorrow at midnight
Eh. I disagree, I would have done this after the game's release personally.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Cool strawman.

Since this thread is bound to close soon because of the topic, I'll leave some final thoughts here.

Ridley's absence and the deeply flawed justification of his exclusion are not going to impede my enjoyment of the game. It will make my enjoyment of the fandom even lower than it already is (because clearly, too bigots haven't kicked the dog enough already), but that doesn't matter in the long run. I will not bash Sakurai, because he is a hard worker with good ideas. I know that if I was in charge of a game with a fandom like this, I would probably act less like Sakurai and more like Hideki Kamiya. But the fact that Ridley's been standing in line for over a decade, coupled with the fact that the sheer stigma against him is turning many people away from his support is incredibly heartbreaking. I've wanted Ridley as a playable fighter ever since I got into Metroid, so of course it blows to read this. But it blows even more knowing just how badly Ridley was handled throughout development and the overall awkward position that he finds himself in now. I'm with Swamp when he says that discussions like this are pretty much the low point of the fandom.

The exclusion of this one character, although heartbreaking, does not make me want to call for a new director or anything like that. Obviously I still look forward to the game and have other characters to enjoy. The under representation of Metroid will bug me as long as it stands, but the game as a whole will still be awesome, and Sakurai's given us a lot of incredible stuff that goes beyond just the plethora of characters. I'm particularly hyped for Special Orders.

Eh. I disagree, I would have done this after the game's release personally.
You know when I would have settled it? Early in development. It would have been "bam, here's Ridley on the Pyrosphere as a boss." And I'd explain why. If Sakurai had done that, we would have been spared a ton of grief in the long run.

The only chance Ridley has now is if Sakurai changes his mind like he did with Villager and Miis. Though it's too far of a long shot for me to count on it.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't know what to think about this honestly. On one hand I never really cared for Ridley, so I'm not bothered by that part of the interview. However I am kinda bothered about the "accuracy" argument he brought up. Shulk has Monado Jump and Smash (Not to mention that his Monado arts don't function like that in Xenoblade), Ness has never been accurate and then the obvious Falcondorf. But eh, whatever. I'll get over it.

Last edited:

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
"Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to"

What about Wario? :V

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Full gif this was taken from: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131226221748/metroid/images/7/72/IbcYy5BfP7VtMc.gif

These two images are both canon from the SAME DAMN GAME. Note that the morph ball barely would fit in Ridley's mouth in the first gif, whereas Samus's entire body fits in his mouth in the second. Ridley changing size IS canon, even in the Metroid series proper, whether your smarmy ass wants to accept it or not.

In canon, Olimar is the size of ROB's eye socket. In Smash Bros he's half the size of the entire robot. The idea isn't "**** canon", it's that canon is lenient in Smash Bros. The idea is to keep the character's spirit intact (which for Ridley has no bearing on size), but tiny little details, such as relative size of characters (Like Olimar or Bowser) or the specific extents of their abilities (Like Sonic or Mewtwo). Canonicity to the original series is a factor in Smash Bros. But it's not the be-all end-all. After all, Smash lets OoT/TP Link jump. You want to complain about that one next?

Last edited:

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman

If you really hate the community so much, then why are you still here. If this community really does what you say it does then why go through all of that and stay and continue to comment. Let the fanbots run their course as usual, they will shut up eventually. I just can't understand someone saying this is the side of the community they hate yet they continue to comment on the same thread.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Couldn't agree more. Up to now I had gotten over Hazardley. Things were looking up with the game coming just a day after tomorrow, the hype was real.

But then he had to blurt out the BS at the worst possible time and ruin it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you really hate the community so much, then why are you still here. If this community really does what you say it does then why go through all of that and stay and continue to comment. Let the fanbots run their course as usual, they will shut up eventually. I just can't understand someone saying this is the side of the community they hate yet they continue to comment on the same thread.
I never said I hated the community.

Just this part of it. Regardless, I felt it needed to be said, plus you know. I'm a mod. I kinda have to.

And this is Smash.

Fanbots never shut up.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
You know you can just agree to disagree without insulting anyone, right?

Is that so hard?
Apparently it is. So many of us find it absolutely impossible.

I mean, if you're going to judge the difficulty of something by seeing how many people fail to do it, then this is the natural conclusion.

EDIT:

After all, Smash allows Link to jump. You want to complain about that one next?
Link can jump in some games if he has the Roc Feather/Cape. He can also jump in Zelda 2 and even has a spell to allow him to jump higher.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys I wanted ridley in the game too but hoping sakurai doesn't make another smash bros game because ridley isn't playable is petty and pathetic :/

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
I never said I hated the community.

Just this part of it. Regardless, I felt it needed to be said, plus you know. I'm a mod. I kinda have to.

And this is Smash.

Fanbots never shut up.
do you think the riddley debate will settle down after a few weeks knowing hes 100% not coming this game

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think I understand what Sakurai means and why it's different from Olimar, Pikachu, etc.

But I also see why people agree/disagree with the line of thinking.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
do you think the riddley debate will settle down after a few weeks knowing hes 100% not coming this game
The debate is over and done with unless Ridley gets a new design in a new Metroid game.

But the ******** on both side will last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom