• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Maybe I am reading his statement wrong, but I don't see that his reason for not adding Ridley is that he is too big to be downsized, but that Sakurai just doesn't want to shrink him. Above all, it seems more like the real reason Ridley isn't added is because Sakurai wants Ridley to be able to fly around freely.
This doesn't mean that he wants Ridley to fly the whole time, but that his main fighting style should be focused on flying and that probably fast, strong and as flexible as possible. Not only is this a hard moveset to program and create, but also would indeed throw the balance of the game off.

I also badly wanted Ridley to be playable, but I can understand his reasoning if it comes down to how he wanted Ridley to be played. I think nobody can deny that flying is something very important to the portrayal of Ridley. Shrinking the wings, of a character that basically only flies in all of his appearances or not making him fly 80% of the time just wouldn't do that character justice.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
This all could have easily gone like this.

Ridley Opposers: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "NO HE'S NOT!!!"

Sakurai: "Ridley is too big..."

Ridley Supporters: "......... Okay......."

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Where is everyone getting this, he too big in the article? All I see that Ridley wouldn't be able to fly around freely in smash and some talk about his wings and that's it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't wait until Ridley is playable, than Trolls like this "Sakurai" person can eat their own words

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I always knew Ridley was not going to be playable the day Sakurai revealed Pyrosphere as a stage and it was really no surprise as to the reason why Ridley will never work in a Smash Bros. game as a fighter.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
lol at people wanting Sakurai to step down just because their favourite character isn't playable. Disregarding the fact Smash wouldn't be possible without him, and all the time and effort he has taken to include so much content and even finally giving us Mewtwo for free.

Spoiled brats.

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
What I'm getting from this interview is that Sakurai COULD have made him work, but it would've been difficult and didn't want to go through all the trouble when he could've been adding more fighters.

Plus, he didn't just say "too big". He gave other reasons too, like the flying around thing.

Last edited:
This is the same man who said size is irrelevant. IE:

Olimar
Pikmin
Kirby
Nintendogs

At least be consistent. :/
They have nobody else to compare to though, and look fine standing next to all the other fighers.

On stage from tiny worlds, the fighters are even scaled down.

Making Ridley small just looks weird, especially when you place him next to Samus.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Gonna C&P this from the Social Thread...
YOU KNOW WHAT!?
I'm not going to give any opinions here, I'm merely going to explain how Sakurai simply hates Ridley and Metroid in general and how he's a complete hypocrite, through FACTS. These statements clash so much with how the final product looks like, and it bugs me that he can't outright say "I don't like the Metroid series" rather than giving us this goldmine of words that don't match up at all...

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer, It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”
Characters that directly contradict the shrunk down (Size) statement:
:4bowser::4charizard::4ganondorf::4olimar::4alph::4pikachu::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja::4dedede:
Characters that blatantly contradict the fly around freely statement:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4charizard::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4kirby::4metaknight::4palutena::4pit::rosalina:
Also, the 'or its wings reduced in size' is particularily troubling, as the METROID SERIES HAS DONE THIS BEFORE WITHOUT BREAKING ANY OF RIDLEY'S CHARACTER, THE METROID SERIES, apparently you're more accurate than the goddamn source material, Sakurai:

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
Accurate portrayals? Lemme see here...
:4bowser:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because the Mario series doesn't exist and neither does SHOWTIME! or Bowser's current, well-liked portrayal as an expressive villain with attitude.
:4dk:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because his visual design totally doesn't match up with his actual voice from the actual Donkey Kong games, where he's expressive and memorable. The lack of a Barrel Throw move seems odd, especially considering that both his UpB and SideB are non-canon, made-up moves.
:4ganondorf:: Do I even need to touch this one? Ganondorf literally draws zero content from the Zelda series for his moveset, and he's been stuck 3 games as a clone of character he has nothing to do with. Precious, simply precious, the main villain of one of Nintendo's biggest series IS A CLONE OF ANOTHER SERIES' CHARACTER.
:4myfriends:: Completely generic and OOC voiceover.
:4ness:: Most of his moveset belongs to another character from Earthbound.
:4samus::4zss:: The suitless Samus somehow has a higher damage output and physical capabilities than the one with the Power Suit. You know? The physically-enhancing, almighty, technologically-advanced alien combat suit that's often associated the most with the Metroid series?
:4tlink:: Uses absolutely zero unique content from Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass on his moveset.
:4wario::4wario2:: Complete lack of Wario Land representation, and most of his moves aren't even based on WarioWare, so he's basically made up on the spot, really faithful to the Wario series.
:4olimar:: Olimar never used Wing Pikmin In-Game.

Oh, let's look at some characters with perfect portrayals that draw a ton from their respective games...
:4pit:: Entire moveset change to be more accurate to the source material? Of course!
:4darkpit:: He has to exist because he couldn't use the Three Sacred Treasures, screw the Triforce Slash, the Zero Laser, the Great Aether, Giga Bowser, Peach Blossom, Balloon Puff, Mario Finale, Megaman Legends (This one gets a pass), Difussion Beam and Power Star never being things on the actual games, Dark Pit can't be seen using the Three Sacred Treasures. Oh, not to mention the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario, I guess they should all be characters because they shouldn't be turning into Shadow Mario, IT'S NOT CANON, THE HORROR!
:4palutena:: The only flaw about Palutena's representation would be her voice actress, but she still sounds pretty similar, even...
:4metaknight::4dedede::4kirby:: All pretty much a copy of their respective game counterparts, all drawing heavy inspiration from canon.

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,”

What about the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing a character based on an all-ground playstyle? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a puppeteer character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing an all-projectile character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a character that can basically switch playstyles and physics on the go? I guess you could also call turning costumes into full-fledged characters a convoluted process, especially with the balancing part...oh...and wasn't it a convoluted hocus-pocus to make a three-style customizable fighter with variable weight and outfits that has access to 3 times the moveset of all characters? Wasn't that convoluted?

Basically "Instead of putting EFFORT into something that the Metroid fanbase has rightfully demanded and defended FOR YEARS, I figured it'd be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the way I like it, and have him bending over to anyone who beats him up enough, completely ****ting on the fact that his character's based on how cunning, smart and egoistical he is, rather than some mundane thing like his size"

I hope this was at least a decent read for anyone who's as angry at this man as I am right now, there's nothing that pisses me off more that a man that goes back and forth on his word like a freaking Tennis match. The thing that angers me the most was the 'shrink his wings' bit, it's like this man has never even touched a Metroid game.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I agree with Sakurai for the most part, it's not that he his too big its that he wouldn't feel like Ridley. A lot of the moves he uses in the Metroid games would be problematic with being too good or OP (I really couldn't see it otherwise keeping true to the character but hey im not a game designer just a smash fan).

If that didnt happen he would likely be a very undesirable character with simple slow moves. The only thing that would make him Ridley is his appearance.

That all said I don't hate the idea of Ridley being a character (I love Ridley actually) I just personally don't think it would work.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
the thing people don't understand is that you can increase the height or size of anyone easy! Or shrink down a character a little bit. But Ridley is 4x Samus's height. He would look silly. #DarkSamusFor5mash

Snippity.
Dude, I know you're mad, but chill. You bended his words so much. The other characters you used as example follow my statement above. and the flying? Those characters don't spend a majority of the time in the air. They can, but do better on the ground. Ridley on the other hand...

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
the thing people don't understand is that you can increase the height or size of anyone easy! Or shrink down a character a little bit. But Ridley is 4x Samus's height. He would look silly. #DarkSamusFor5mash

Bowser is x4 Mario's size, he would look silly! Ganondorf is 4x Link's size, it would look silly. Look how stupid this sounds?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Bowser is x4 Mario's size, he would look silly! Ganondorf is 4x Link's size, it would look silly. Look how stupid this sounds?
Bowser changes sizes whenever he wants, he isnt fixed huge. Ganon has always been bigger then link.
Dont bring this **** here
Also dont bring this **** from the social topic here
I have half a mind to report you for spamming a message across boards but your lucky idk If I even can do that.

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Yes, even Ganondorf. Falcon clone status aside, he is a an incredibly powerful warlock proficient in dark magic, just like the Zelda games.
PFFF Yeah right...

Why never people ask him bout ganondorfs clone status? They asking him for mewtwo, ridley, dlc, miis, behind the scences, and about IC and more but since 2001 Nobody ask him why in the world he did ganondorf a clone of a character from another universe/franchise. What was he thinking? I know he made him a clone just to fill a spot but why using CF as a model? Heck its 2014 and he can't change him

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Please do not spam the rules to us. If there is a problem then deal with it. But until then we don't need to be told/spammed "behave or get an infraction" in every possibly controversial topic that exists on these forums. We know the rules. We get them and we will obey them.
You do know he is a moderator right? He is just doing his job and making sure that everyone is safe in the forum.
Honestly we need him looking around this thread because you know how butthurt and uncivilized Ridley fans can be.

Please stop...

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
PFFF Yeah right...

Why never people ask him bout ganondorfs clone status? They asking him for mewtwo, ridley, dlc, miis, behind the scences, and about IC and more but since 2001 Nobody ask him why in the world he did ganondorf a clone of a character from another universe/franchise. What was he thinking? I know he made him a clone just to fill a spot but why using CF as a model? Heck its 2014 and he can't change him
Give him an energy ball special attack and/or a sword thrust for one of his smashes and I'm good. I mean I'm already good right now because Ganondorf is a fun character to use but those things would make him absolutely perfect

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
PFFF Yeah right...

Simple. Falcon and Ganondorf's models shared similar body proportions so Ganondorf was added at the last minute using Falcon as a basis.

I believe Sakurai addressed that issue when Brawl was released. He stated that he didn't want to drastically change Ganondorf as he felt it would alienate fans who played as him in Melee.

Regardless, Falcon's moveset is entirely made up for Smash, which makes Ganondorf's moveset a Smash original thing by default. Falcon emphasizes on speed, just like how his games are about speed. Ganondorf delivers heavy blows backed by dark magic. In the Zelda series, he is a powerful wizard with superb physical strength.

I mean, I would like it if Ganondorf was revamped, as long as he kept the same play style, but I can't say I'm not fine with him as is. This coming from a Zelda fan whose favorite character in the series is Ganondorf.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Simple. Falcon and Ganondorf's models shared similar body proportions so Ganondorf was added at the last minute using Falcon as a basis.

I believe Sakurai addressed that issue when Brawl was released. He stated that he didn't want to drastically change Ganondorf as he felt it would alienate fans who played as him in Melee.
So if he change his mind and add Ridley as DLC and being a Charizard clone but with bigger wings and stays like that for the next 3 games from the future, you'll be okay with this? Just asking...

Shog

Smash Ace
I am not surprised by this to be honest, because we already saw what the fate of Ridley was in the 50facts extravaganza.

Eh, after playing some Super Metroid again, I would love some Space Pirate as a playable character with karate chop action:troll:

My main pet peeve as a Metroid fan...WHY IS ZSS BETTER THAN NORMAL SUIT SAMUS? COM UN!

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
lol at people wanting Sakurai to step down just because their favourite character isn't playable. Disregarding the fact Smash wouldn't be possible without him, and all the time and effort he has taken to include so much content and even finally giving us Mewtwo for free.

Spoiled brats.
Mewtwo is only to people who buy 2 versions, and it wont be free or to buy to the rest.... so a lot of my friends and me are screw and even then I don't say "Sakurai step down" But I'm mad to him

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So if he change his mind and add Ridley as DLC and being a Charizard clone but with bigger wings and stays like that for the next 3 games from the future, you'll be okay with this? Just asking...
In my opinion, it's better a character playable as a clone than no playable character at all. I'll take Falcon clone Ganondorf over no Ganondorf any day.

Besides, I don't think Ridley would work as a 100% Charizard clone. He could take some cues and all, but the body proportions of Ridley and Charizard have significant differences.

Falcon and Ganondorf are both human characters with very similar body proportions, so the same animations work for both. Hell, you could even make characters like Link, Samus or Pit clones of Falcon. It's all about the animation work and modelling. Body proportions are incredibly important in animation.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, it's better a character playable as a clone than no playable character at all. I'll take Falcon clone Ganondorf over no Ganondorf any day.

Besides, I don't think Ridley would work as a 100% Charizard clone. He could take some cues and all, but the body proportions of Ridley and Charizard have significant differences.

Falcon and Ganondorf are both human characters with very similar body proportions, so the same animations work for both. Hell, you could even make characters like Link, Samus or Pit clones of Falcon. It's all about the animation work and modelling. Body proportions are incredibly important in animation.
Mewtwo in melee doesn't look nothing like the games or the anime, I always hate hat his proportions where weird and it work, heck a lot of Mario characters get some parts of their body become gigant for som attacks, they can do a Ridley clone using Charizard as a base, heck I'll be fine to have Ridley as a clone I don't care about the guy, I know he has fans but like you say something or nothing

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mewtwo in melee doesn't look nothing like the games or the anime, I always hate hat his proportions where weird and it work, heck a lot of Mario characters get some parts of their body become gigant for som attacks, they can do a Ridley clone using Charizard as a base, heck I'll be fine to have Ridley as a clone I don't care about the guy, I know he has fans but like you say something or nothing
Don't get me wrong. I would be ecstatic if Ganondorf was given major overhauls and became more unique, but as he is right now, I'm not too bothered. He still feels like the Ganondorf we all know: a strong, ruthless powerhouse with fierce magic.

I think that's Sakurai's point regarding Ridley. He doesn't want to shrink Ridley because he feels that would be out of character for him. This whole talk about "out-of-character" is subjective. It's sometimes up to each individual's interpretation of each character.

Sakurai may take some liberties when designing characters, but I feel those are for the sake of game play and balance. Both are extremely important factors. If the characters' portrayal has to be tweaked a bit to achieve that, so be it, as long as it doesn't stray too far. I mean, you wouldn't want to have Mario pull a chainsaw out of nowhere or have Ganondorf shooting rainbow beams.

As for Mewtwo in Melee, yeah, he looks a bit weird, but aspects of his character are kept: his psychic powers and destructive personality. To be fair, all of Melee's character designs feel dated. Even Brawl's designs do. I mean, compare the new models for the veterans with their previous Smash incarnations.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Characters in Smash being accurate representations is somewhat of a reason for Ridley not being playable. All characters are heavily enhanced or downgraded in their abilites / attributes to make a somewhat balanced gameplay possible. But I think in the case of Ridley the downscaling might really be too drastic to make him smashable.
I think it is plausible to say that reference for a Smash Ridley should be taken from Metroid Prime and Other M because that's where you get it in 3D. And in there he is massively bigger than Samus. But in contrast to Bowser for example he is of a rather skinny build that would make him look ridiculous if scaled down to Smash proportions.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
YOU KNOW WHAT!?
I'm not going to give any opinions here, I'm merely going to explain how Sakurai simply hates Ridley and Metroid in general and how he's a complete hypocrite, through FACTS. These statements clash so much with how the final product looks like, and it bugs me that he can't outright say "I don't like the Metroid series" rather than giving us this goldmine of words that don't match up at all...

:4bowser::4charizard::4ganondorf::4olimar::4alph::4pikachu::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja::4dedede:
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4charizard::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4kirby::4metaknight::4palutena::4pit::rosalina:
Also, the 'or its wings reduced in size' is particularily troubling, as the METROID SERIES HAS DONE THIS BEFORE WITHOUT BREAKING ANY OF RIDLEY'S CHARACTER, THE METROID SERIES, apparently you're more accurate than the goddamn source material, Sakurai:

:4bowser:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because the Mario series doesn't exist and neither does SHOWTIME! or Bowser's current, well-liked portrayal as an expressive villain with attitude.
:4dk:: Has an animal voice because Sakurai liked it better, because his visual design totally doesn't match up with his actual voice from the actual Donkey Kong games, where he's expressive and memorable. The lack of a Barrel Throw move seems odd, especially considering that both his UpB and SideB are non-canon, made-up moves.
:4ganondorf:: Do I even need to touch this one? Ganondorf literally draws zero content from the Zelda series for his moveset, and he's been stuck 3 games as a clone of character he has nothing to do with. Precious, simply precious, the main villain of one of Nintendo's biggest series IS A CLONE OF ANOTHER SERIES' CHARACTER.
:4samus::4zss:: The suitless Samus somehow has a higher damage output and physical capabilities than the one with the Power Suit. You know? The physically-enhancing, almighty, technologically-advanced alien combat suit that's often associated the most with the Metroid series?
:4tlink:: Uses absolutely zero unique content from Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass on his moveset.
:4wario::4wario2:: Complete lack of Wario Land representation, and most of his moves aren't even based on WarioWare, so he's basically made up on the spot, really faithful to the Wario series.

Oh, let's look at some characters with perfect portrayals that draw a ton from their respective games...
:4pit:: Entire moveset change to be more accurate to the source material? Of course!
:4darkpit:: He has to exist because he couldn't use the Three Sacred Treasures, screw the Triforce Slash, the Zero Laser, the Great Aether, Giga Bowser, Peach Blossom, Balloon Puff, Mario Finale, Megaman Legends (This one gets a pass), Difussion Beam and Power Star never being things on the actual games, Dark Pit can't be seen using the Three Sacred Treasures. Oh, not to mention the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario, I guess they should all be characters because they shouldn't be turning into Shadow Mario, IT'S NOT CANON, THE HORROR!
:4palutena:: The only flaw about Palutena's representation would be her voice actress, but she still sounds pretty similar, even...
:4metaknight::4dedede::4kirby:: All pretty much a copy of their respective game counterparts, all drawing heavy inspiration from canon.
Dude relax... it's just a Dragon, Sakurai loves Kirby of course he is going to give them special atention, KIU didn't sell that well so he want's people to know about the game and buy it, he wants to be know for more stuff than just smash... And yeah I hate what he does to the DK, Bowser, Diddy characters, they don't feel the same as in their games, heck Mario and the mushroom company always are happy and screaming "Yahoo!!!" but in smash they act all dark and serious, except for Wario... actually the koopakids are the only ones I feel they come out from their games, and maybe Rosalina too. And yeah he kind of hates metroid, maybe he sees the franchise as not that good or I don't know

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Hey, hey... I want to tell you something....

HE DOSE NOT HATE METRIOD
HE ISNT BIASSED

PLEASE STOP TRYING TO JUSTIFY WHY HAS RIDLEY BEEN CUT

Thank you
Dude relax, it's just that why a lot of metroid stages have lava? I mean a few of them come from places where's theres not lava so t's more weird, and yeah he loves his characters that's not a crime, I'm just saying he likes mother a lot, so he also must have franchises that he doesn't like

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
heck Mario and the mushroom company always are happy and screaming "Yahoo!!!" but in smash they act all dark and serious, except for Wario... actually the koopakids are the only ones I feel they come out from their games, and maybe Rosalina too. And yeah he kind of hates metroid, maybe he sees the franchise as not that good or I don't know
I don't know. Mario feels a lot like in his games, especially in Smash 4 with the vibrant colors and more expressiveness.

The Mario cast being serious is a thing in Brawl and a bit jarring, too. It's something that bothered me as well, but in this game, I feel that mistake was fixed. More than any Smash game, I think the characters feel a lot more like themselves.

And I don't get the "Sakurai hates Metroid" thing at all. Is it just because of Ridley not being playable...?

Then again, Metroid isn't a big thing in Japan...

I don't know, I don't think Sakurai would be petty like that.

Somebody lock this thread please!

This thread was painfull to read, just end it all here!
This thread will stay open as long as things don't spiral out of control.

Also, you don't have to be in this thread. If it's painful for you, just leave the thread.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. Mario feels a lot like in his games, especially in Smash 4 with the vibrant colors and more expressiveness.

The Mario cast being serious is a thing in Brawl and a bit jarring, too. It's something that bothered me as well, but in this game, I feel that mistake was fixed. More than any Smash game, I think the characters feel a lot more like themselves.

And I don't get the "Sakurai hates Metroid" thing at all. Is it just because of Ridley not being playable...?

Then again, Metroid isn't a big thing in Japan...

I don't know, I don't think Sakurai would be petty like that.

Also, you don't have to be in this thread. If it's painful for you, just leave the thread.
They still look pretty serious, play mario party and grab a star look how they celebrate or in power tennis its a huge difference, BTW what happened to the Ridley thread?

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Dude relax, it's just that why a lot of metroid stages have lava? I mean a few of them come from places where's theres not lava so t's more weird, and yeah he loves his characters that's not a crime, I'm just saying he likes mother a lot, so he also must have franchises that he doesn't like
Thank You, atleast you not one of the brainwashed members and you can take opinions, we need more peolpe like you.

Can you just **** off?
Somebody is salty, hey... What about you **** off?
I didn't do anything to you, so that's seem fair

I only came here know why Ridley was cut
Not to get **** on by the community

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Sakurai hating the Metroid franchise based on Ridley not being in the game and stages having lava is one of the most amusing things I've read in a while. Maybe he didn't include Ridley as a playable character because he truly thinks he would not fit, and therefore made him appear otherwise.
I totally do not see why the lava in Metroid stages are an indicator of hatred. Yes, the lava theme seems to be a thing, but yes, a lot of Metroid happens underground and there often is lava in the game. They could have chosen other biomes from the Metroid franchise, but this is not just about representing a single series. There's plenty of other stages from other games, showing off a lot of temples, ruins, jungles and wastes. Metroid complements this stage mix with lava themed ones.

FlaygletheBagel

Smash Cadet
NNID
AmateurSalad8
3DS FC
5429-7042-7857
Now hang on a second...

Doesn't the whole idea behind Super Smash Bros. imply that someone is battling with toy figures and imagining them coming to life?

In Smash 64's opening, Master Hand snaps his fingers, and a toy comes to life. In the Melee intro, a trophy of Mario is thrown into the ring, and Mario comes to life from the trophy. In Brawl's Subspace, characters come to life from trophies. And we can't forget the Wii U version, where we have actual trophies we can touch to the Gamepad to bring them to life.

So if Smash is centered around this concept, why is there the concern with realism, whether size or anything else? Obviously Smash is a game about fanservice, so I understand the motivation to make the characters representative of the way they are in their respective games, but beyond that, if Smash's whole concept centers around figures coming to life, why need there be a constraint placed on which characters get to fight? Especially if the trophies of the characters themselves are all about equally sized?

I've never been in the pro Ridley camp, nor have I campaigned against having him in the game, but I think this should at least be considered.

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
YOU KNOW WHAT!?

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer, It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
Accurate portrayals? Lemme see here...

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,”

What about the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing a character based on an all-ground playstyle? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a puppeteer character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of balancing an all-projectile character? Or the convoluted hocus-pocus of making a character that can basically switch playstyles and physics on the go? I guess you could also call turning costumes into full-fledged characters a convoluted process, especially with the balancing part...oh...and wasn't it a convoluted hocus-pocus to make a three-style customizable fighter with variable weight and outfits that has access to 3 times the moveset of all characters? Wasn't that convoluted?

Basically "Instead of putting EFFORT into something that the Metroid fanbase has rightfully demanded and defended FOR YEARS, I figured it'd be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the way I like it, and have him bending over to anyone who beats him up enough, completely ****ting on the fact that his character's based on how cunning, smart and egoistical he is, rather than some mundane thing like his size"

I hope this was at least a decent read for anyone who's as angry at this man as I am right now, there's nothing that pisses me off more that a man that goes back and forth on his word like a freaking Tennis match. The thing that angers me the most was the 'shrink his wings' bit, it's like this man has never even touched a Metroid game.
why don't people get you can not want ridley playable and still love metriod (like me) sakurai doesn't hate metroid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom