• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I get the DLC stuff, but man, y'all taking it a little far! :laugh:
I'd say at most we'd get 3 almost completed characters as DLC, not like 8 like someone had on here earlier! :rotfl:
Guys, riddle me this:

How does everyone feel about Chibi-Robo in Smash?
I know nothing about Chibi-Robo other than what game he is from and some of his playstyle potential stuff. But yeah, he would make a great "shocker" choice of a playable character. He'd really stick out, and in my opinion, could be a solid Smash Bros character choice if he is as great in terms of playable character potential as his fans say he is.

Still, while if what I heard is true, then I'd be fine with it, if it isn't, I'd be less open to such a proposition.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I get the DLC stuff, but man, y'all taking it a little far! :laugh:
I'd say at most we'd get 3 almost completed characters as DLC, not like 8 like someone had on here earlier! :rotfl:

I know nothing about Chibi-Robo other than what game he is from and some of his playstyle potential stuff. But yeah, he would make a great "shocker" choice of a playable character. He'd really stick out, and in my opinion, could be a solid Smash Bros character choice if he is as great in terms of playable character potential as his fans say he is.

Still, while if what I heard is true, then I'd be fine with it, if it isn't, I'd be less open to such a proposition.
One can dream right :joyful:. At least three of them have half of the work XD.
.n_n.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
One can dream right :joyful:. At least three of them have half of the work XD.
.n_n.
I suppose, but why talk about DLC characters when we can just talk about straight up characters=???

I mean, I get it post-release or after a roster reveal/deconfirmation, but as of right now, we don't really have many of those, and the game isn't even close to being out yet.
Seriously, it's kind of odd how people think a 2014 release date is impossible, despite there being clear evidence that it is perfectly possible.
With one game=??? Yeah, 2014 would be the ideal release date.

With two games=??? That's pretty rough, especially since the development team has openly admitted to running into tons of road blocks.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
They want Tingle?

Hmm...

Maybe he's more popular over there than I thought.
I was too. I was surprised they know who Tingle was but drew blanks at Toon Link. They knew it was Link but wasn't sure what game. I think Tingle here is more of a "I know the character but not the franchise he is in."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They said the following characters:

Toad
Waluigi
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Dixie Kong
Mewtwo
Blaziken
Tingle
Chrom
The Mario and Pokemon characters are to be expected... but... Tingle and Chrom? I can understand Chrom since he is the main character of Fire Emblem: Awakening but I don't understand Tingle?

I was too. I was surprised they know who Tingle was but drew blanks at Toon Link. They knew it was Link but wasn't sure what game. I think Tingle here is more of a "I know the character but not the franchise he is in."
Maybe those kids knows who is Link from Wind Waker but they don't know a character named "Toon Link"?

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I'm actually surprised they knew who Chrom was. I guess technically, I had no idea what the Mother or Fire Emblem series was at all until Melee, and really introduced me to them. Mother became instantly one of my favorites, and I definitely enjoyed the Fire Emblem series.

Maybe those kids knows who is Link from Wind Waker but they don't know a character named "Toon Link"?
This is probably the likely case.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm just gonna come out and say... I don't support Ridley for Smash.

*gasp*
*gasp*

Blasphemous! Sacrilegious! You shall be stoned to death for refusing to worship the Cunning God of Death! You shall burn at the stake, witch!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think it's funny with so many peolpe saying "Burn em at the stake!" and such. I watched an old Disney movie involving witches the other day. (Hocus Pocus is underrated)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Zelda/Tetra would certainly be a very interesting situation. At one hand she'd probably be a semi-clone, but at the same time be unique.

I really have nothing against her though, especially if she has Tetra along with her. Just... Keep Toon Sheik as far away from Toon Zelda as possible...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Toon Sheik is best Sheik, though. :troll:

I actually don't think there will be a Zelda newcomer. And if there is, it's probably going to be Toon Zelda, since Sakurai may want to try and bring the characters he wanted to put in Brawl but didn't make the cut.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How come you feel this way about their chances?
Ask yourself: what are the most recurring, most prominent characters in the series? Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Sakurai's philosophy of having a child Link leads to the 4th character being Young/Toon Link. The only characters that are also recurring are Impa and Tingle who not only have lesser appearances, but also have lesser roles in the games they appear.

I can't deny that they could make new and interesting characters, especially Tingle, but I prefer to keep my expectations low regarding new characters.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Ask yourself: what are the most recurring, most prominent characters in the series? Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Sakurai's philosophy of having a child Link leads to the 4th character being Young/Toon Link. The only characters that are also recurring are Impa and Tingle who not only have lesser appearances, but also have lesser roles in the games they appear.

I can't deny that they could make new and interesting characters, especially Tingle, but I prefer to keep my expectations low regarding new characters.

A zelda newcomer is alot less likely than a Mario or DK newcomer. There is still the chance that zelda gets Impa, Vaati, Tetra or Tingle.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Alright then.

Tetra/Toon Zelda.

Discuss.
Excessive
Unnecessary
Pointless
Low requests

Probably only exists in Brawl for filler or because Sakurai went too far and didn't realize it. I think Sakurai knows he made a mistake.

Having another Zelda character at all wouldn't really work.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
"Chroms the bomb!"
"Goo-gle-Chrom!"

But in all honestly, it would probably just "Chrom" repeated over and over again like most characters.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii

Beedle is reoccurring too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
-Interesting stuff-
I'm glad you posted this. Even if this group was just 4th graders, people on here don't seem to realize that the majority of those out there with some knowledge of Nintendo still don't know it much past Mario (and his spin-offs), Pokemon, and Zelda. This is why when people look at a roster made on here with characters such as Takamaru, Palutena, Shulk, Isaac, etc. and call it "boring" because it has the "typical" characters, it's quite a parochial outlook. They might be well-known and typical to the point of boring for us, but only a sliver of those out there that are going to pick up Smash will actually be familiar with most of those type of characters, it wouldn't be "boring" for them.

It should also reinforce why people who complain that we already have enough characters from the Big 3 are a little misguided, they are clearly the three most well-known series Nintendo has, the three largest (excluding the Wii series), and the three most people will connect with when it comes to characters, which is a large reason of why people buy the game. If the roster was made with actual ratios of success to representation, Mario (and it's spin-offs), Pokemon, and Zelda would take up like 90% of the roster. :rolleyes:

So yeah, these results, although not entirely surprising (most of the people I ask about Smash irl have similar wishlists) it definitely is telling. And interesting. Thanks!

But seriously, they didn't know Mega Man? Capcom should hang their head in shame. :p

Probably only exists in Brawl for filler or because Sakurai went too far and didn't realize it. I think Sakurai knows he made a mistake.
Where do you come up with your proof as to Sakurai's mentality? He hasn't even commented on any of the Forbidden 7, yet you think you know Sakurai's mentality on them?

Obviously he thought Toon Zelda warranted inclusion enough to actually start programming her, which is a lot further than most characters get. Even if filler, Sakurai obviously thought enough of her to at least attempt to add her. And there is quite the precedent of Sakurai going back to his previously attempted characters in future games, and Toon Zelda has only become more prolific since Brawl.

Having another Zelda character at all wouldn't really work.
I agree it's not necessary to have another, but why wouldn't it really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom