• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's not have Mario or Pikachu in Smash because they're not balanced.

I mean, we could have this PERFECT ALL-STAR ROSTER, because all that matters is gameplay, right? :smirk:

RIGHT?! Look at such potential! So many unique characters! Such variety! :rolleyes:

Morbi

Scavenger
Let's not have Mario or Pikachu in Smash because they're not balanced.

I mean, we could have this PERFECT ALL-STAR ROSTER, because all that matters is gameplay, right? :smirk:

RIGHT?! Look at such potential! So many unique characters! Such variety! :rolleyes:
Nice. I think you have pretty much proven your point. Haha.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alexandra Roivas, Goku, Mach Rider, and F-Type. (Just personal favorite choices)

I have to agree with Jon. The gampelay is the most important. However, I don't agree with cutting R.O.B or Zelda. I HATE R.O.B more than ANYONE on the roster, however, his zoning style isn't really prevalent in Smash. He offers something that only Samus can really match. Samus is also bottom. Zelda, being one of the only transformation characters, is a necessity. Her move-set is unique. There are no problems with her. I actually really enjoy playing as her.
True. Gameplay is the most important. But the character selection is pretty much there since thats what sells the game. Well, that and having fun gameplay.

Morbi

Scavenger
I want to see Battlefield Guy make it into Smash 4 (mostly because I just downloaded the Beta). Haha.

Edit- @Peacock

Yeah. I missed that point. I think character selection is EXTREMELY important. I just think gameplay is slightly more important.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Dog + Duck, Lip and....either Donbe+Hikari, DK Jr or Balloon Fighter I guess. I'm surprisingly indifferent to retros outside of Duck Hunt Dog and Lip.

Doshin being on the list surprised me, but he is two gens old now I guess.
Interesting choices, especially for Donbe + Hikari.

When did it turn October 2014?
Eternal Darkness I can accept if that's your criteria (though I feel you're being too harsh), but Kururin Squash was released less than 9 years ago.
Oh you are right, sorry for the mistake, my list is a mess.
.n_n.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You'd probably get rid of Mario if he were low-tier. :rolleyes:
I didn't mention tiers at all. I mean, Ness is low tier, but his moveset, playstyle, and skillset is varied and unique. Same with Yoshi and DK in a few smash games.

The problem I have with Zelda is few of her moves conceivably work in any real way that is useful at any level other than "lol I don't know which atturk is which."

Also, I recognized all that in Zelda before I ever played competitive smash. Heck, anyone who has played a few thousand matches can see that in Melee or Brawl

And again, I'm going by the Smash series AS A WHOLE, not the latest game or this game or that game. Mario was freaking incredible in Smash 64 and Melee. The only move he has that doesn't really work that well is his stupid FLUDD, which IMO is either destined to be worthless or overpowered as can be.

If you read the BRoom character thread stuff, you'd realize that's what I'm talking about.
I have to agree with Jon. The gampelay is the most important. However, I don't agree with cutting R.O.B or Zelda. I HATE R.O.B more than ANYONE on the roster, however, his zoning style isn't really prevalent in Smash. He offers something that only Samus can really match. Samus is also bottom. Zelda, being one of the only transformation characters, is a necessity. Her move-set is unique. There are no problems with her. I actually really enjoy playing as her.
I wouldn't want to cut any of those characters, but if push came to shove, those would be the 3 I would have to pick, seeing as how Pit has been made into a character that looks fan-freaking-tastic after being turrible, and to a lesser extent, the same thing has happened with Bowser.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you want to cut characters, cut bad ones like ROB or Meta Knight.
Wut.

So guys if you need to choose between all these retro reps, who will you choose? You can pick three choices.

.n_n.
Hmm, some good choices here, but my 3 are...
1. Takamaru: First and foremost. Has to be in Smash 4.
2. Mach Rider: Incredibly cool.
3. Muddy Mole: Digging character could be fun.

I really wanted to say Nester. I really did.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
That's a very polite way of calling me weird. Appreciate that.
I didn´t mean that in that way XD, I mean most people will choose Dog Duck Hunt, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Takamaru or Sukapon (wildly speculation for my part, thats why I make the question, to see what people answer).

Alexandra Roivas, Goku, Mach Rider, and F-Type. (Just personal favorite choices)

True. Gameplay is the most important. But the character selection is pretty much there since thats what sells the game. Well, that and having fun gameplay.
I love Eternal Darkness one of my favourite Horror Games of all time and didn´t think someone would remember F-Type.

Wut.

Hmm, some good choices here, but my 3 are...
1. Takamaru: First and foremost. Has to be in Smash 4.
2. Mach Rider: Incredibly cool.
3. Muddy Mole: Digging character could be fun.

I really wanted to say Nester. I really did.

I think the competition of a digging character could be between Dillon and Muddy.

.n_n.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So guys if you need to choose between all these retro reps, who will you choose? You can pick three choices.

.n_n.
In a general sense, those are more like retro and obscure characters regardless of date, rather than just retro.

I guess I'd choose Balloon Fighter, Mike Jones, and Sukapon.

Also, where's Cubivore?

----

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But Sakurai doesn't view this the Smash Bros. series as competitive, right? I really doubt he'll cut anyone just because of a crappy moveset.
I'm not viewing it as a competitive series. I'm viewing it from a character-to-character basis based on me objectively analyzing each character.

Also, why the does me being a competitive player matter=??? I haven't mentioned the word "competitive" or "tiers" or anything other than balance (which I view balance as a thing that varies from skill level to skill level, although I generally don't like to think of "lol I cun't figur out wich is atturk" as a skill level).

The fact that I'm not even thinking about competitive play, but rather, the functionality of each move shows me either you guys don't understand what I am saying (hint: ask for more details, I'll try to answer them) or that you guys just assume everything I'm saying is "casual bad, competitive good" (which I've never said or will say other than as a joke).

Seriously, y'all sounding like the SmashChu fan club.

And if you guys wanna throw me in the mud because I play competitive smash, you shouldn't do it at the home of competitive smash! :laugh:

You should like go to GameFAQs, Nsider, Game Spot, or IGN where they can't stand competitive smash, or wherever the heck the clowns come from today.

To be honest, I'm thinking mostly from a "which character is the most fun to play as" mentality, which is not even competitive at all! :laugh:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I have to agree with john as well. (cause I play the all smash games alot as well) Gameplay>characters i'm sorry but you can't deny the truth. A good R.O.B. is campy as hell, and if they can't fix metaknight well he might be in trouble.

However I think there probably will be no cuts this time, (well maybe wolf might go) and they'll re-work the characters that need re-working, because sakurai said he's working the most on balance, not adding the most popular characters....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh really. You are punishing the fans of the character because Sakurai didn't do a job at balancing him. Sounds totally fair, right?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
In a general sense, those are more like retro and obscure characters regardless of date, rather than just retro.

I guess I'd choose Balloon Fighter, Mike Jones, and Sukapon.

Also, where's Cubivore?

----
Now thats a character of I haven´t hear in my life. Can you link me a profile, history or something from Cubivore (I want to learn more about this character)?
.n_n.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Obviously Meta Knight is coming back.
Kirby has the big 3. Sakurai isn't going to cut an important character from HIS OWN franchise.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Where do you come up with your proof as to Sakurai's mentality? He hasn't even commented on any of the Forbidden 7, yet you think you know Sakurai's mentality on them?
If I thought I knew he made a mistake, I would say "I know." Not "I think." I'm just saying I think Toon Zelda was discontinued for being a dumb character and not because of time constraints. Again, emphasis on the word "think".

I'm saving this gif for later. ;)

.n_n.
Personally: Donkey Kong Junior, Sukapon, Takamaru, MAYBE Sheriff.

Realistically: Takamaru, Sheriff.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A good R.O.B. is campy as hell, and if they can't fix metaknight well he might be in trouble.
And ROB can easily win in Brawl by camping at all levels of play (of the ROB player) up until the top competitive level actually! :laugh:
However I think there probably will be no cuts this time, (well maybe wolf might go) and they'll re-work the characters that need re-working, because sakurai said he's working the most on balance, not adding the most popular characters....
Yeah, my hope is that they do re-work the characters (so there are no cuts). I know I would love to see the characters I don't find as particularly enjoyable to play as or against become more fun to play as or against, which is ultimately what I hope we get as veteran improvements. So far, I really love what Sakurai has done to Luigi, Bowser, and especially Pit. I went from straight up hating Pit in Brawl with a passion to just loving this new and improved Pit we'll be getting. I can't wait to fight against him and fight as him.
Despite the fact that popularity/importance to a series in an ALL STAR crossover fighting game and gameplay are both equal when it comes to this game. Competitive or not not. Just sayin.
Oh no, I get that. I'm just saying if they were all "nobodies" like say nearly every other fighting game, I would cut the ones I see as the hardest to fix and/or the least enjoyable (in my eyes) to play as or against.

Still, my preferred solution is just to see everyone get fixed (in a perfect world), but sadly, it doesn't always work out that way. A good example was Zelda from Melee to Brawl. In Melee, she was fairly weak. In Brawl, a lot of people got hyped for her being better, but as it turns out, she was actually worse! :laugh: :urg: :facepalm:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

.n_n.

Mach Rider, Lip and Prince Sable.

@Frost Wraith I'd actually be cool with Dark Samus though. Phazon lasers all day.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh really. You are punishing the fans of the character because Sakurai didn't do a job at balancing him. Sounds totally fair, right?
I'm not looking from a outside fans of a character perspective, but rather, how they play in Smash.

I mean, if Mario was terrible and had no potential to be fun in Smash, but say Toadette was just the opposite, I would much rather have the opposite. I say that and I love Mario to death while I can't stand Toadette. Because, in my opinion, gameplay is king, and should always be king.

As for the characters, we like the characters from their outside games usually, yeah. But ultimately, what gets characters to get "pushed" to be playable is their potential. Look at Mega Man: his uniqueness as a playable character speaks for itself.

And again, going by to my point, I'd much rather have every veteran return and "stick out," be fun to play as/against for everyone, and be balanced at multiple levels of play, but sadly, this isn't a perfect world. I was merely listing who I would cut if I was the head honcho in such a scenario from purely a gameplay perspective. Nothing more. (point continues on after this quote)
Why not just rebalance with updates as problems occur this Smash rather than ridding yourself of characters?

Surely with the Wii U and 3DS this is a possibility?
Of course, this is also a solution to that in Smash Wii U and 3DS with patches, if Nintendo is wise enough to do/allow the developers/a set quality team to do patching! Yet, I am a bit fearful they won't, so I ignored it because of that point (although I would love, love, love, LOVE to be proven wrong!).

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
And ROB can easily win in Brawl by camping at all levels of play (of the ROB player) up until the top competitive level actually! :laugh:
Yes I know I've ran into competitve rob's before, annoying as all hell. (still won tho but not an exciting match). and this is why i don't do competitive brawl... well my love for smash keeps dragging me back into it lol...

@ Louie, If metaknight can't be fixed as much as I Love the Kirby series, he's in trouble.

However Namco is on board to help out and that gives me confidence to say there will probably be no cuts at all. (well maybe wolf or something)

If it were sakurai's team alone...well the game would be screwed due to the delays.

@Yoshi toad, because sakurai is an oddball lol, plus we don't actually know if nintendo would actually go on the patch/dlc route. I think they probably won't sadly, but i'd love to wrong.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Really, I think the gameplay will be fine when it is finalized, which besides the balancing, I believe it is.

Because it is an All-Star game, I think character choice is important. The gameplay is solid, but the balance is not. Interesting movesets in a game like Smash are wonderful to see as well.

However, this is still an All-Star game. I'm going with 50/50 because as Frostwraith posted, a roster filled with random characters because of moveset potential is a bad idea. But the combo of good characters and good gameplay is the best case scenario.

Reznor

work in progress
I'm not viewing it as a competitive series. I'm viewing it from a character-to-character basis based on me objectively analyzing each character.

Also, why the does me being a competitive player matter=??? I haven't mentioned the word "competitive" or "tiers" or anything other than balance (which I view balance as a thing that varies from skill level to skill level, although I generally don't like to think of "lol I cun't figur out wich is atturk" as a skill level).

The fact that I'm not even thinking about competitive play, but rather, the functionality of each move shows me either you guys don't understand what I am saying (hint: ask for more details, I'll try to answer them) or that you guys just assume everything I'm saying is "casual bad, competitive good" (which I've never said or will say other than as a joke).

Seriously, y'all sounding like the SmashChu fan club.

And if you guys wanna throw me in the mud because I play competitive smash, you shouldn't do it at the home of competitive smash! :laugh:

You should like go to GameFAQs, Nsider, Game Spot, or IGN where they can't stand competitive smash, or wherever the heck the clowns come from today.

To be honest, I'm thinking mostly from a "which character is the most fun to play as" mentality, which is not even competitive at all! :laugh:
calm down buddeh no one is throwing you in the mud
I think what we are talking about is Sakurai can always change the way a character plays or have Namco make them balanced there isn't a reason you have to get rid of a popular character

every one knows Gameplay > characters thats what we all think this is a competitive smash site but sadly we are the minority gameplay isn't what will get casuals to buy smash it's the characters
we want smash to be successful so we can get more Smash games

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
The problem I could see with patches is that it would give people an excuse to complain about everything in a character and could cause nerfs that aren't really needed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I have to agree with john as well. (cause I play the all smash games alot as well) Gameplay>characters i'm sorry but you can't deny the truth.

What is the one single thing people care about in Smash games? CHARACTERS! It's the most hyped and anticipated thing if not THE most important part about Smash Brothers.

It's not like we are facing the risk of having a totally unplayable game, you've seen the trailers and the gameplay is perfectly fine. I can't remember the last time I saw a massively populated thread about stages or YouTube videos about physics. When people complain that Brawl is ever so slightly broken, you know what I say?: Who gives a ****, it's got Wolf, Lucario, Sonic, and Meta Knight which 100% makes up for it. What could possibly be more important than the characters?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
if they can't fix metaknight well he might be in trouble.
Dude, even fans have fixed Meta Knight. It's not his moveset that's the problem, it's the way it's handled. Having his attacks take priority over every other attack in the game, making people get stuck in that damn tornado, not to mention having unfair KO potential on D-Smash, U-Special and N-Air, all these things can be fixed by changing numbers, and thus they don't need to change the moveset per say.

And even if they needed to change the moveset, they would do so. Look at Bowser, he's been horrible for two games straight and can't be properly balanced without giving him a hideous amount of super armor because of his overall design and pose. What did they do? They redesigned him. As it stands right now, veterans are probably getting prioritized well over newcomers, simply because the veterans that we currently have are much more important Nintendo characters than by far the majority of potential newcomers. Wouldn't make jack sense to cut Meta Knight in favor of another character (which would be the only excuse to cut any character ever, being outprioritized and not making the deadline) because he's more important than every other potential newcomer right now, which is why he got in over them in Brawl anyways. This doesn't only go for Meta Knight, it goes for nearly every character on Brawl's roster (Jigglypuff might be debatable, since she's not a Nintendo icon.)

TD;DR: Meta Knight's a lock, and characters being imbalanced is not a valid reason to doubt their chances at returning.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes I know I've ran into competitve rob's before, annoying as all hell. (still won tho but not an exciting match). and this is why i don't do competitive brawl...
I once played a 3 game set with a ROB player in a Brawl tournament, and he timed me out twice, and took me just short of the time out the other game.

The time out limit was like 11 or 12 minutes, and it was only a 3 stock match. All he did was run away, circle the stage, and just not approach. As someone who loves good action, good close range/smart spacing battles, and just all out wars, I was pissed from a fan standpoint, especially since it was working, and won him the match purely because his character matched up well against mine and because the gameplay allows that kind of play to be successful against a non-high tier character.
its cool if ya don't like MK and R.O.B but you gotta stop acting like opinions are facts (well you don't have to :smash:)
I said "in my opinion" "from my viewpoint," and other such statements. What about my post came across as anything other than me expressing my viewpoints=???

You know, if you don't like my viewpoints, you have every right to express it and feel how you feel and that is your right that I will never contest, but to say I presented them as facts show either a lack of reading comprehension or a lack of actually reading (all of) what I posted in the first place, which quite frankly makes this post come across as a bit of tomfoolery.

Reznor

work in progress

What is the one single thing people care about in Smash games? CHARACTERS! It's the most hyped and anticipated thing if not THE most important part about Smash Brothers.

It's not like we are facing the risk of having a totally unplayable game, you've seen the trailers and the gameplay is perfectly fine. I can't remember the last time I saw a massively populated thread about stages or YouTube videos about physics. When people complain that Brawl is ever so slightly broken, you know what I say?: Who gives a ****, it's got Wolf, Lucario, Sonic, and Meta Knight which 100% makes up for it. What could possibly be more important than the characters?
characters are what draw you in but gameplay is whats keeps you there both are important

I once played a 3 game set with a ROB player in a Brawl tournament, and he timed me out twice, and took me just short of the time out the other game.

The time out limit was like 11 or 12 minutes, and it was only a 3 stock match. All he did was run away, circle the stage, and just not approach. As someone who loves good action, good close range/smart spacing battles, and just all out wars, I was pissed from a fan standpoint, especially since it was working, and won him the match purely because his character matched up well against mine and because the gameplay allows that kind of play to be successful against a non-high tier character.

I said "in my opinion" "from my viewpoint," and other such statements. What about my post came across as anything other than me expressing my viewpoints=???

You know, if you don't like my viewpoints, you have every right to express it and feel how you feel and that is your right that I will never contest, but to say I presented them as facts show either a lack of reading comprehension or a lack of actually reading (all of) what I posted in the first place, which quite frankly makes this post come across as a bit of tomfoolery.
it is tomfoolery :awesome:
did'nt see ya say opinions often my bad

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

It's not like we are facing the risk of having a totally unplayable game, you've seen the trailers and the gameplay is perfectly fine. I can't remember the last time I saw a massively populated thread about stages or YouTube videos about physics.
I would argue the franchises are about as big as the characters, but still, you are right. The characters and franchises initially are what sucked us in, but the gameplay is what keeps us coming back for more and more and more, some of us (myself included) for well over a decade. Wow, smash bros kind of sounds like a drug now that I think about it, lol! :rotfl:
When people complain that Brawl is ever so slightly broken, you know what I say?: Who gives a ****, it's got Wolf, Lucario, Sonic, and Meta Knight which 100% makes up for it. What could possibly be more important than the characters?
Not when playing against Meta Knight gets annoying, Snake camps you out, or Lucario... well... feels kinda generic (at least in my opinion).
did'nt see ya say opinions often my bad
Eh, no problem. My post was more aimed at a few people rather than just you specifically, lol.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

I'm sorry but i'm competitive, always have been since 64. when I can't string combo's together and the game is a total camping match... that's gonna be a problem, and if a character is broken... that's another problem, look I know ya love the characters, but to be frank we are running out of candidates than can actually be different from the cast. Don't get me wrong I love new characters, but if the gameplay is wack then its gonna be a meh game. (I'd still play it cuz i'm a sucker for smash.) Again gameplay> characters. I'm sorry but don't want this game to be a brawl copy, I want this game to stand out on its own and how do you do that? not by adding wacky characters like dr. whoever but by GAMEPLAY.

and wariobros I said IF, I trust sakurai and namco to balance the game and to add characters that actually bring refreshing movesets and re-work the ones that were bad. Like John said characters make you buy the game, but gameplay makes you decide if you want to keep playing or not.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The problem I could see with patches is that it would give people an excuse to complain about everything in a character and could cause nerfs that aren't really needed.
If patches were like BlazBlue where you can choose which patch or fix you want to play as, that wouldn't be a problem.

Also, if the team knew how to actually balance (aka don't make another Meta Knight, lol!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom